PDA

View Full Version : Well...

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 01:08 AM
This D has problems... Reed has major problems... our OL has problems and injuries... Mendenhall ran hard and finished runs with power.

We are 6-2.

Sugar
11-09-2010, 01:14 AM
This reminded me a lot of the San Diego game last year. We seemed so dominant for the first three quarters and then almost lost at the end.

skyhawk
11-09-2010, 01:16 AM
The D has problems. In the FOURTH quarter. Otherwise they fine.

But I think this is a shutdown D in the first 3 and teams air it out late because they are behind and kill us.

The Oline is in trouble and we are STILL 6-2.

I also think the special teams are playing well and really helping.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Once again, we were collapsing in the fourth quarter. Just narrowly averted a loss--and don't think we will be that lucky if we put ourselves in the same kind of predicament vs. the Pats or Raiders. There can be no doubt, this team has difficulty putting games away.
It doesn't appear to be that far removed from last season's version...IIRC, we were 6-2 at this point a year ago.

JTP53609
11-09-2010, 01:17 AM
This D has problems... Reed has major problems... our OL has problems and injuries... Mendenhall ran hard and finished runs with power.

We are 6-2.

Lebeau called a great game, but we just are not the same defense we have been used to seeing. The MNF crew said it best, we are the oldest defense in the league in years (30.1) and it seems we often play like it. All that being said we ended up pulling it out, but no way that should have happened.
Mendy ran hard, ben looked good other then a few throws and who else knew reed would miss that kick...

AngryAsian
11-09-2010, 01:17 AM
This reminded me a lot of the San Diego game last year. We seemed so dominant for the first three quarters and then almost lost at the end.

Scary STAT.... 120+ points allowed this year.... 63 of those points in the fourth quarter. We fade at the end of games. An area of improvement in before season's end.

skyhawk
11-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Got to give the other team credit. TO played lights out and the TD to him deep in the end zone was a thing of beauty.

Teams HAVE to play perfect in the 4th Quarter against this D or they will surely lose. That's a good thing for the Steelers I think. Bengals played pretty darn good against an agressive team. Give them credit too.

skyhawk
11-09-2010, 01:20 AM

Scary STAT.... 120+ points allowed this year.... 63 of those points in the fourth quarter. We fade at the end of games. An area of improvement in before season's end.\

The D does give up points be we are always up in that point of the game. Still gotta give the Steeler D credit for the first three quarters!

AkronSteel
11-09-2010, 01:21 AM
This team is in a good position. They are 6-2 and got through the 3 game road trip 2-1. They have a prime time game next week against a rival and will play as they always do in the Burgh under the lights. The Raiders (although playing better) and the Bills are next, they should be victories there as well. Then comes the Ravens and we will find out where the team stands as far as where they are going to go. I will be happy with 9-2 going into Baltimore. Win or lose there are still games against the Bengals in the Burgh and the Panthers at home. Those should be two more victories. The Jets will give the team one heck of a ball game and it will be a toss up. Either way I can't see the team finishing any worse than 13-3 or 12-4. They will get better as the season goes on and players like Sanders gain more experience in his role!!! I will take a tough divisional win, and move on to the Cheatriots feeling very good about our football team!!!!

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Got to give the other team credit. TO played lights out and the TD to him deep in the end zone was a thing of beauty.

Teams HAVE to play perfect in the 4th Quarter against this D or they will surely lose. That's a good thing for the Steelers I think. Bengals played pretty darn good against an agressive team. Give them credit too.
Sorry but I can't give the bengals that much credit. TO is a beast but a lot of players look great against the McFadden 10 yard cushion. This was a game where we needed to double TO and take our chances against the other WR's.

I'm glad we stayed aggressive amd went after Palmer. Hopefully we keep that up against the Pats.

papillon
11-09-2010, 01:24 AM

We are 6-2.

Disagree about the defense and even though they were perilously close to allowing the Bengals to win that game, they were pressuring Palmer and hitting hard. The defense also throttled the Bengals for 3 quarters; once the Bengals had to throw every play to get back in the game is when they gave up yards and points. The Bengals are not some chump offense.

If Reed hits the 46 yarder, the game is over and it isn't as dramatic. I'll be glad when he's gone next year. His kickoffs gave the Bengals 15 extra yards all night. He should just squib every kickoff, I'd rather give them the ball on the 25 or 3o with no chance of a return than have him kick it to the 12 yard line and give the returner a chance to make a big play.

The offense needs to come up with some answers to the overload blitz and the double 'A' gap blitz. The offensive line handles the standard blitz just fine, but the exotic overload blitzes are killing them.

The Bengals are a good football team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them run off some wins.

Oh, and now I know why I love Troy Polamalu, did you see him take on that 325 pound lead blocker? He lost the battle and the Steelers won the war. Name one other NFL safety that takes on that blocker, there isn't one, Troy is it.

Pappy

JTP53609
11-09-2010, 01:27 AM

We are 6-2.

Disagree about the defense and even though they were perilously close to allowing the Bengals to win that game, they were pressuring Palmer and hitting hard. The defense also throttled the Bengals for 3 quarters; once the Bengals had to throw every play to get back in the game is when they gave up yards and points. The Bengals are not some chump offense.

If Reed hits the 46 yarder, the game is over and it isn't as dramatic. I'll be glad when he's gone next year. His kickoffs gave the Bengals 15 extra yards all night. He should just squib every kickoff, I'd rather give them the ball on the 25 or 3o with no chance of a return than have him kick it to the 12 yard line and give the returner a chance to make a big play.

The offense needs to come up with some answers to the overload blitz and the double 'A' gap blitz. The offensive line handles the standard blitz just fine, but the exotic overload blitzes are killing them.

The Bengals are a good football team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them run off some wins.

Oh, and now I know why I love Troy Polamalu, did you see him take on that 325 pound lead blocker? He lost the battle and the Steelers won the war. Name one other NFL safety that takes on that blocker, there isn't one, Troy is it.

Pappy

I like Troy too, but I dont really think he had a choice but to take on that blocker, he was not going to run to the sidelines and sit down, I would expect him or any other player in that position to try their hardest to blow whoever is in front of them...

stlrz d
11-09-2010, 01:30 AM
LOL, that pass to TO was only where TO could catch it. Great throw and catch. Damn tough to defend.

If not for a horse $hit call on Hampton and a horse $hit call on Taylor it's not even close. The call on Woodley was questionable too.

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 01:35 AM
The refs did walk the bungles into the endzone on their last TD. However the second Tad was way too easy... from the kick off to the pitch and catch to TO on the Mcfadden 15 yard cushion before the TD catch.

McFadden can tackle by his pass coverage is pathetic. I'm still concerned though... 27 to 7 and we sweat it out at the 12 yard line?

LordVile
11-09-2010, 01:37 AM
LOL, that pass to TO was only where TO could catch it. Great throw and catch. Damn tough to defend.

If not for a horse $hit call on Hampton and a horse $hit call on Taylor it's not even close. The call on Woodley was questionable too.

yeah, alotta horse $hit stinkin' up the place. 3 bad calls in a row it seemed to keep the bungals in the game on MNF.

Crash
11-09-2010, 01:38 AM
You know what though? With the game on the line we kept blitzing.

In years past? We'd rush 3 men.

The problems started when we scored to go up 27-7 and we relaxed.

skyhawk
11-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Not only in years past, THIS year too!

papillon
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM

We are 6-2.

Pappy

I like Troy too, but I don't really think he had a choice but to take on that blocker, he was not going to run to the sidelines and sit down, I would expect him or any other player in that position to try their hardest to blow whoever is in front of them...

He had a choice he could have given it the Deion Sanders ole and get out of the way. He chose to take on the guy and hope there was help behind him to tackle the runner, gutsy challenge in my book.

Pappy

papillon
11-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I'd rather see them go down swinging like they did last night than to rush three and give quarterbacks like Palmer time to pick out open receivers. I was happy to see the attacking defense for 4 quarters last night.

Farrior was a beast last night.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm still actually very impressed with the OL and what Koogs is doing with the constant player rotations because of injury. Even with the backups, they have success when the players put hats on the right assignments. But that was the issue at times and expected with 5 different fronts throughout the game. If you can't respect what just took place last night on that field from an OL standpoint...You got no business commenting on it.

However, the bell sounded on Arians. I gave him enough time. I'm right back to where I was at the end of last year with him. How many L's or near misses does it take. Maybe it isn't a question of "how many" but more of a question of "if he can". He reminds me of a dumb dog who's yard has the invisible fence. He just keeps running through the thing and getting zapped. Gets knocked on his a$$....Looks around....Gets up....And does it again. I give a little to who gets a helmet on gameday. They miss Holmes because at least when he was in there the defense had to choose him or Wallace. This is 3 games in a row where 2 deep and man under is keeping the ball in Ben's hands longer than it should. Ben has plenty of time for someone to clear the zone or settle in underneath crossing...The only problem is I think Arians picked a stall without toilet paper the week Ben came back and page 4 of his playbook is missing. :shock:

I'm starting to question the active choices gameday. I focused on #81 as much as I could. Battle is a good ST player, but Coach T has to make a choice between him & Madison on gameday. This love for Battle & Madison costs us a 4th round player who showed a ST nose when given the chance in the PS. He wasn't where Battle or Madison was or even SS or JW...But he had position value with upside. This man love for these two is taking away from the talent at WR on gameday. El throws a TD on a gadget. Not taking anything away from him. He runs good routes and has reliable hands. But his skills are 4th best on gameday for a slot and I would even move him to 5 if Brown was active. Manny & AB have their rookie moments but a LB or S isn't staying with either of them working underneath in stride. El's skills now are a "stop & sideline" WR and he should be put up against Brown every week for the #4. El & Brown dress at Battle's expense. Brown may be short but he isn't slight. He wants the opportunity to work underneath and run away. I think they could field a more talented WR group on gameday without costing STs.

The defense is giving up some brow raising stats late but you can bounce many things off of it. Can it be better ...Yes. Is it a concern...Yes. Does having the lead late impact the stats...Yes. I really feel it is correctable. I noticed DL sending more blitzes out of the cover 2 this game versus the Saints. In the end, I don't think it is age or personnel, I think it is adjustments and confidence in keeping the heat on when it calls for it. I just hope DL sees his defense is capable of doing it before it becomes a one posession game when he looks at last nights film.

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
wha wha what? You are blaming Arians for last night? up 27 to 7 and Reed, Ben and the D make untimely gaffes and its ARAINS fault?

6 straight runs for 45 yards to grind clock and a sweet draw play that would have gained 20 yards if Legursky didn't whif on his block and it's ARAINS fault?

Another great vet fumbles and it's ARIANS fault?

WFT? Are you afraid you will melt if you don't blame Arians? HAHAHA!!!

Starlifter
11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
what's weird to me is though I am clearly not a BA fan - I didn't think last nights scheme was too terrible. The swing pass to mendy to set up the first TD was quite nice. I thought we stretched the field well and used the run in mostly appropriate places. The doesn't mean BA no longer sucks - heck a broken clock is right twice a day, it just means that I thought last night was a reasonable effort. Bottom line, our offense put up 27 against an opponent who always plays us tough.

Having said all that, I think the thing that frustrates me the most is how predictable these games sometimes unfold. We go up 27-7 and my brother says it's over. I just KNEW we would go soft on defense and give up a cheap quick score. I said so. There was still over 12 minutes to play and they only need two more after that. Then you just knew it would be either a 3 and out or an untimely pick by the offense. Throw in the anticipated pass interference calls and the 4th quarter read like a dime store novel that we've ALL read hundreds of times. Even down to the last drive of the game where (miracle hit by silverback aside) I tell my brother - not only will they score, but will do so with 12 seconds left in the game so we have no chance ourselves.

You give an opponent in the NFL even a sliver of daylight and they're gonna take advantage. The defense went soft too early and let them back into it too quickly. The offense had already relaxed (game in the bag) and couldn't get back into high gear. That's why I started a thread called 45 minute men. I'm still pi$$ed....

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
what's weird to me is though I am clearly not a BA fan - I didn't think last nights scheme was too terrible. The swing pass to mendy to set up the first TD was quite nice. I thought we stretched the field well and used the run in mostly appropriate places. The doesn't mean BA no longer sucks - heck a broken clock is right twice a day, it just means that I thought last night was a reasonable effort. Bottom line, our offense put up 27 against an opponent who always plays us tough.

Having said all that, I think the thing that frustrates me the most is how predictable these games sometimes unfold. We go up 27-7 and my brother says it's over. I just KNEW we would go soft on defense and give up a cheap quick score. I said so. There was still over 12 minutes to play and they only need two more after that. Then you just knew it would be either a 3 and out or an untimely pick by the offense. Throw in the anticipated pass interference calls and the 4th quarter read like a dime store novel that we've ALL read hundreds of times. Even down to the last drive of the game where (miracle hit by silverback aside) I tell my brother - not only will they score, but will do so with 12 seconds left in the game so we have no chance ourselves.

You give an opponent in the NFL even a sliver of daylight and they're gonna take advantage. The defense went soft too early and let them back into it too quickly. The offense had already relaxed (game in the bag) and couldn't get back into high gear. That's why I started a thread called 45 minute men. I'm still pi$$ed....

I hear you... and it does seem like anytime we score a TD I can't celebrate until after the kick off.

we are a networks best friend... we make sure every game goes to the wire.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
wha wha what? You are blaming Arians for last night? up 27 to 7 and Reed, Ben and the D make untimely gaffes and its ARAINS fault?

6 straight runs for 45 yards to grind clock and a sweet draw play that would have gained 20 yards if Legursky didn't whif on his block and it's ARAINS fault?

I'm not looking out the final outcome on Arians. I'm looking at the passing games body of work. If it wasn't for the Steelers ST early, take away the 10-0. If it wasn't for the D showing up early, this would have been ugly. It was a little better than the Saints game but it needs a leap this week and not baby steps.

I'm confused? Didn't you start this topic bashing on the OL? I applauded the efforts. But you do have an eye...That Legursky wiff was huge...Saw that too. That might have ended in 6.

You can't blame Ward for a fumble. Arians needs to do some homework. He keeps forgetting there are more than one way to use a guy like Wallace.

I think you have me confused with someone. I was an Arians hater at the end of last year. Defended him when BB was out and refused to be critical of his playcalling & design until BB came back and Arians had some games with him. The clock started ticking last week and time expired. The defensive gameplans are obvious. They know who Wallace is and Arians needs to adapt to that fact. Ben has to lay it out earlier too but more opportunities need to be present. It can be simply said like this. A fly route only gives you "X" amount of time and "Y" amount of yardage for the QB's window. The "X" and "Y" is no secret to the defense and can be game planned for. You have seen it the last two weeks with little adjustment by Arians. The adjustment is to manipulate "Y" when the defense takes it away. How? Route= Corner, Post, Post Corner (In basic terms). Let Wallace gain the seperation and gain angles running between the sidelines while not exceeding "Y". Arains had the right call when Wallace split the two DBs but BB under threw it. Those opportunities are there against these defensive gameplans. Arians needs to take advantage and use the defensive adjustments made for Wallace against them. You can see it so I know they see it. So if that is the case, who's to blame? I can only think of one.

Oviedo
11-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Not sure that we relaxed as much as the defense went soft like they always do. I don't know if it is LeBeau, the scheme or the players but our defense does not know how to deliver a knock out blow anymore.

We got very lucky last night, however Brady is not Palmer and we better do more than get lucky on defense next Sunday.

anger 82&95
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM

$$$ post. Incidentally, what heinous crime was Hampton guilty of??? I guess Illegal use of gravity… I fear the officiating might get really ugly when the defenders attempt to tackle Brady.

costanza2k1
11-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Exactly! I'm so glad we didn't stop bringing the heat. We obviously have a way to go on both sides of the ball, but 6-2 isn't bad is it? Or do we all want to peak now and then fade off during the playoffs like the Colts and Bolts each year? Oh and I completely understand the motive behind the post, share the blame type of thing. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and enjoy what we have. We're fighting for the conference lead this week and I'll be there hookers! Yup that's right I called you all hookers. :lol:

steelblood
11-09-2010, 01:16 PM

We are 6-2.

Lebeau called a great game, but we just are not the same defense we have been used to seeing. The MNF crew said it best, we are the oldest defense in the league in years (30.1) and it seems we often play like it. All that being said we ended up pulling it out, but no way that should have happened.
Mendy ran hard, ben looked good other then a few throws and who else knew reed would miss that kick...

The D was good in forth quarter save for McFadden and the refs.

papillon
11-11-2010, 06:39 AM

I'm not looking out the final outcome on Arians. I'm looking at the passing games body of work. If it wasn't for the Steelers ST early, take away the 10-0. If it wasn't for the D showing up early, this would have been ugly. It was a little better than the Saints game but it needs a leap this week and not baby steps.

You can't play the "if you take away..." game to make a point. The special teams made two nice plays and the offense capitalized. Isn't that what they are supposed to do? As far as I'm concerned that's a win for the offense. Now, if the offense doesn't do its job then blame them, but they did.

I'm confused? Didn't you start this topic bashing on the OL? I applauded the efforts. But you do have an eye...That Legursky wiff was huge...Saw that too. That might have ended in 6.

You can't blame Ward for a fumble. Arians needs to do some homework. He keeps forgetting there are more than one way to use a guy like Wallace.

Ward is a veteran and there are very few bubble screens fumbled in the NFL. They defender made a good play, I'll admit that, but Ward was the ball carrier and didn't secure the ball and Mike Tomlin's face said it all when they showed him after the fumble and the replay confirmed it was a fumble. Tomlin wasn't happy.

I think you have me confused with someone. I was an Arians hater at the end of last year. Defended him when BB was out and refused to be critical of his playcalling & design until BB came back and Arians had some games with him. The clock started ticking last week and time expired. The defensive gameplans are obvious. They know who Wallace is and Arians needs to adapt to that fact. Ben has to lay it out earlier too but more opportunities need to be present. It can be simply said like this. A fly route only gives you "X" amount of time and "Y" amount of yardage for the QB's window. The "X" and "Y" is no secret to the defense and can be game planned for. You have seen it the last two weeks with little adjustment by Arians. The adjustment is to manipulate "Y" when the defense takes it away. How? Route= Corner, Post, Post Corner (In basic terms). Let Wallace gain the seperation and gain angles running between the sidelines while not exceeding "Y". Arains had the right call when Wallace split the two DBs but BB under threw it. Those opportunities are there against these defensive gameplans. Arians needs to take advantage and use the defensive adjustments made for Wallace against them. You can see it so I know they see it. So if that is the case, who's to blame? I can only think of one.

I readily admit that I don't know the X's and O's in any great detail, but from my standpoint the WRs are not getting open and in the Saints game there were times they didn't even look like they were reading the same book as Ben. Now, it could be poor design, but it could also be poor route running, maybe Ben is still rusty on what he's seeing or a lack of ability to get open.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
You can't play the "if you take away..." game to make a point. The special teams made two nice plays and the offense capitalized. Isn't that what they are supposed to do? As far as I'm concerned that's a win for the offense. Now, if the offense doesn't do its job then blame them, but they did.

That was the whole point Pap. The passing offense didn't get the job done. Their basic pass attack was not productive. The run game was working and the defense & ST flipped the field for them. The scoreboard lied. Here's my post from another topic. Steelers 5 scoring posessions avg started at the Bengals 44. None of that is credit to the offense. The route tree for Arians pass plays look like a Giant Sequoia and that is ineffective against the 2 deep / man under we have seen the last three games.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14534&st=0&sk=t&sd=a (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14534&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)
How did we get to 27-7?

*Opening kickoff fumbled by Bengals at Benglas 25. (Steelers - 7 Points of TO)
*Blocked punt at Bengals 30. (Steelers - 3 Points off Bengals ST error.)
*Ward fumble at Steelers 38. (Bengals - 7 Points of TO)
*Timmons INT at Steelers 48. (Steelers - 7 Points of TO)
*Bengals return kickoff to Steelers 43. Miss FG, Steelers ball at Steelers 41. Reed 53 yard FG (Steelers - 3 Points off Bengals ST error.)
*Palmer sacked by Harrison at Bengals 18. Punt to Steelers 44. (El 39 yard TD pass)
27-7

Steelers starting position on above posessions was the Bengals 44.
Steelers other offensive posessions 0-6 with no points.
Bengals were 0-10 in scoring on posessions that didn't result off of tunovers (1-1). Of the 10 posessions there were 2 missed FGs, 1 blocked Punt, & 6 Punts.

So...To you topic heading...At the point it was 27-7...I say credit goes to the defense & ST why they were ahead. So if you want to put something on Arians list...I can think of 0-6 reasons.

Arian's gameplan improved from the Saints, but I would hope for a leap instead of a baby step for next week. It won't be only us being critical after the Pats, it is sink or swim this week.

Ward is a veteran and there are very few bubble screens fumbled in the NFL. They defender made a good play, I'll admit that, but Ward was the ball carrier and didn't secure the ball and Mike Tomlin's face said it all when they showed him after the fumble and the replay confirmed it was a fumble. Tomlin wasn't happy.

You said it Pap. The defender made a good play. Helmet on ball is hard to blame. Ward was not being careleess with the ball. Put that fumble against the "loaf of bread" fumbles...There is a difference. Tomlin's face was because he couldn't challenge. He was asked about it post game and said Hall made a good play and put the helmet on the ball. Take a look...Hard to be critical of Ward and I didn't hear anyone being critical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSH6jlayBXA

I readily admit that I don't know the X's and O's in any great detail, but from my standpoint the WRs are not getting open and in the Saints game there were times they didn't even look like they were reading the same book as Ben. Now, it could be poor design, but it could also be poor route running, maybe Ben is still rusty on what he's seeing or a lack of ability to get open.

When I see Ben throwing balls to receivers not looking or ben looking for a dump when the blitz is on and all WR still have their backs to BB 15 yards downfield ON THE ROAD... I put that on coaches. If I see nobody crossing between the hashes 10 yards from the LOS against a 2 deep - man under...I put that on the coaches. The noise factor should not have been a surprise. And if it was, like many reported, That is on the coaches. When the Steelers realized that anytime the went to 10 or 11 personnel, they would see that 2 deep - man under and didn't adjust their route tree or play calling....I put that on the coaches. Until BA or Mr T tell me that BB is drawing his own plays up in the dirt or calling his own plays at the LOS that dictate opposite of what the defense is giving them...I put it on the coaches.

I gave BA a pass while BB was away and gave him some games with BB under his belt. The run game is more productive and I like where it is headed. But this is the same old story when it comes to a defense dictating where the Steelers have to go with the ball. Take away the deep thirds on the Steelers and send the heat. Same as last year. This isn't something that should be left to in game adjustments. It is a copy cat league & BA needs to start a new page or two in his play book. If you don't show it...Nobody is going to change how you defend it.

MeetJoeGreene
11-11-2010, 10:09 AM
[quote="stlrz d":29u4uegt]LOL, that pass to TO was only where TO could catch it. Great throw and catch. Damn tough to defend.

$$$ post. Incidentally, what heinous crime was Hampton guilty of??? I guess Illegal use of gravity… I fear the officiating might get really ugly when the defenders attempt to tackle Brady.[/quote:29u4uegt]

I am really afraid of that as well. We will probably get 2 Roughing the Passer penalties that are undeserved because Brady is one of Roger's Untouchable Golden Children.

It would be nice if Rooney fired a preemptive verbal strike predicting this.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2010, 10:44 AM
You know what has been bothering me? The obligatory early screen to Ward to keep his consecutive game streak alive. Every game within the first two possessions he gets that gift thrown to him. Just waiting for the Pats D to jump that route - because if I know that it is coming then surely BB can know to expect it - and we have 6 the other way.

NWNewell
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I think everyone is over reacting about the defense. Our culture and expectations are to have superior defenses (not that I mind), but we need to keep some perspective. Our defense is not bad... not even close. It doesn't matter when the points come, just what the end result is. Would you feel better if they put up the same number of points consistently throughout the game? We have the #1 ranked scoring defense and the #1 run defense. And while our offense is ranked #28, #16 in scoring offense, we still have the 5th best margin of victory in the league. So while games might end up closer than WE would like, the final score and margin of victory isn't half bad.... it's actually still pretty good.

Our passing and overall rank is a function of the fact we've had several large leads and went to the low risk (albeit low reward) prevent defense a lot in the 4th quarter. And like it or not, allowing the defense to slowly but surely gain some ground is part of the prevent game plan (which means opponents slowly rake up passing and total yards). We make it so that the opponent CAN move the ball. But they have to do it at a slow enough pace that they don't have time to execute enough scoring drives with the time that is left in the game. Granted, we hoped they would stop them from getting in the endzone at the end of the drive more often than they have. But it's a tough task when you've been on the field for the amount of time it took the offense to move down the field. The fact that we are 6-2, and have an amazing record when leading by 10 points (two or more scores) demonstrates that it is a successful strategy at securing victories (albeit frustrating to the fan), but not necessarily keeping points off the board. But W's, not points, are the ultimate goal. I'm grateful we have a DC that knows that distinction.

We always see the stats about how many points we've given up in the 4th quarter this year versus the rest of the game. But as I said, most of the points and yards come from games where we've had a large lead.... and kept the lead to win the game.

Care to guess how many points our defense gives up when entering the 4th quarter while leading by less than one score?
Tied vs Faclons (6-2 team, with #5 offense) - gave up a FG (3pts)[/*:m:2hgptsuh]
Up by 3 vs Ravens (again a 6-2 team) - gave up a TD (7pts)[/*:m:2hgptsuh]
Up by 1 vs Miami - gave up a FG (3pts)[/*:m:2hgptsuh]
Down by 3 vs Saints - gave up two TD's (14pts)[/*:m:2hgptsuh]

The saints game was the only real "4th quarter breakdown" of the defense when it mattered. And the Cinncy game wouldn't have been so close if they were not gifted a quick scoring drive by some questionable penalties.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Our D is dominant but we give up fast points and most come in the 4th. That is a problem.

Shawn
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I discussed a little of this last year. But, in Lebeau's high energy defense you need young legs. Our DL is old. Farrior is old. We start to lose the battle in the trenches and lose our ability to maintain 4th quarter pressure on the QB. We need young talent we can rotate in to keep our D fresh.

frankthetank1
11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
You know what has been bothering me? The obligatory early screen to Ward to keep his consecutive game streak alive. Every game within the first two possessions he gets that gift thrown to him. Just waiting for the Pats D to jump that route - because if I know that it is coming then surely BB can know to expect it - and we have 6 the other way.

its odd to me that the screen to ward has never resulted in a pick 6. why cant the steelers go at least one game without throwing it? its so obvious. the td pass thrown by ARE was set up very nicely with the jet sweep they ran with ARE prior to his td pass. i would like to see something similar with the screen to ward. why cant the ever fake the screen and throw it deep? im sure most cb's playing the steelers would bite on the fake.

Crash
11-11-2010, 01:25 PM
He has some young legs. When Keisel was hurt and Woodley got hurt in Miami Worilds came in as a rush DE and was awesome.

He hasn't seen the field since.

When it's 3rd and passing Eason or Hood should come off and Worilds should come in.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 01:31 PM

I was amazed they ran it 2 times in a row. I wonder if Ben audibled to it on the second one.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM

its odd to me that the screen to ward has never resulted in a pick 6. why cant the steelers go at least one game without throwing it? its so obvious. the td pass thrown by ARE was set up very nicely with the jet sweep they ran with ARE prior to his td pass. i would like to see something similar with the screen to ward. why cant the ever fake the screen and throw it deep? im sure most cb's playing the steelers would bite on the fake.

And even before they ran the jet sweep they even faked that at least once - maybe twice but definitely at least once. So the D then rests figuring that the fake was a set up of the sweep and now they are done with it. How nice is it to then step it up to a throw next time around?

As for the screen to Hines, it is always early and never hits big or sets up anything big for later. It is like that it is only there to let his streak continue and nothing else.

birtikidis
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Not sure that we relaxed as much as the defense went soft like they always do. I don't know if it is LeBeau, the scheme or the players but our defense does not know how to deliver a knock out blow anymore.

We got very lucky last night, however Brady is not Palmer and we better do more than get lucky on defense next Sunday.
it helps when our qb doesn't throw a soft ball that is easily picked.
i absolutely hate that our db's ALWAYS give the same look. 10 yard cushion.. is BMac THAT poor in coverage?
that TD pass to TO, was nice and all, but I can't help but think if he had been BUMPED that the timing would be off a little. But they know exactly what our db's are gonna do...

cruzer8
11-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I can't figure out which makes my fellow Steelers fans more angry:

When we lose?

or

When we win but don't win like they thought we should?

:lol:

birtikidis
11-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I can't figure out which makes my fellow Steelers fans more angry:

When we lose?

or

When we win but don't win like they thought we should?

:lol:
Hey, we're a passionate bunch.

Oviedo
11-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Our D is dominant but we give up fast points and most come in the 4th. That is a problem.

And more of a problem is we don't seem to know how to make this problem go away.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM

i absolutely hate that our db's ALWAYS give the same look. 10 yard cushion.. is BMac THAT poor in coverage?
that TD pass to TO, was nice and all, but I can't help but think if he had been BUMPED that the timing would be off a little. But they know exactly what our db's are gonna do...

BMac really is that bad in coverage. Great tackler but he can't run with the big boys.

They set it up perfectly too... 12 yard cushion and TO runs a 10 yard curl... next play he runs right past him.

birtikidis
11-11-2010, 05:34 PM

BMac really is that bad in coverage. Great tackler but he can't run with the big boys.

They set it up perfectly too... 12 yard cushion and TO runs a 10 yard curl... next play he runs right past him.
it was a rhetorical question...

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 06:09 PM

And more of a problem is we don't seem to know how to make this problem go away.
$$$
Same problem that torpedoed last season. If it knocks us out of contention again this year, it might be time for our HOF D-coordinator to hang up his whistle.

cruzer8
11-11-2010, 06:16 PM

$$$
Same problem that torpedoed last season. If it knocks us out of contention again this year, it might be time for our HOF D-coordinator to hang up his whistle.

For some reason these three posts make me think of one thing and one thing only.

http://www.posters.ws/images/862266/three_stooges.jpg

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I know... it's against Steeler law to point out the obvious...

jj28west
11-11-2010, 08:33 PM
A lot of good quality posts here. Without saying "because BA sucks" could someone explain to me why Wallace wasnt realy thrown to again in the Miami game after the bomb for a TD? Its easy for a simple fan like me to think this but wouldnt the quick timed out routes be there all day since there is a CB who is playing off after getting burned and probably safety help over the top or maybe a LB underneath? There had to be a reason why Ben did not go back to him.

Also, what do you think instead of going 4 wide or Ben rolling out, etc to beat the blitz we go to max protection with a two WR route for Wallace & Sanders with Rashard as the safety valve? For what its worth Ben seemed to handle the blitz well with the audible based on what Cinci showed.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Wow, should I feel guilty?

I just wanted to see the end of the bubble screen, not get the guy concussed. :shock:

feltdizz
11-15-2010, 10:35 AM

$$$

For some reason these three posts make me think of one thing and one thing only.

http://www.posters.ws/images/862266/three_stooges.jpg

I bet the stooges made that FG. LOL...

pay attention buddy!