PDA

View Full Version : The importance of OL

Shawn
10-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I have always felt teams are built in the trenches. The guys getting the least press and don't have their names on as many jerseys are the guys who win and lose games for a team. A couple weekends ago this notion was amplified in my head after watching the OSU Wisconsin game.

The Buckeyes outclassed the Badgers in every area except OL and running back. This Buckeye team was one of the best I have seen in years. Terrific athletic QB, fast gifted DBs, physical LBrs, tough DL, solid playmaking WRs and a solid OL.

But, the Badgers had one thing the Buckeyes didn't have...an elite, unreal powerful OL that lead one of the best running games in the country. In all my years watching college ball I have never seen such a display of OL dominance. I hated it but it was in awe of it all at the same time. It was truly impressive to watch.

While I know we are talking about a college game I believe the idea extrapolates to the pro level. The teams with dominant OLs are going to succeed. An OL can make an average QB seem great...a lack luster running back superb and most importantly can inflict mental damage upon the psyche of another team. There is nothing more demoralizing then to know a run is coming and not be able to do anything to stop it.

In the 2011 draft, I would love to see the Steelers continue to build their OL. I would love to see the most dominant OL in the NFL dressed in the black and gold.

Dee Dub
10-28-2010, 06:09 PM
You gotta be kidding me?? This year’s Ohio State is one of the most overrated teams I have seen in years. Their schedule is a flat out joke. Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, and Penn State (who by season’s end could have 6 loses), ?? They’ve played one good team and they got shellacked.

And your athletic QB?? He sucks. He isn’t anything more or less than Vince Young, which means he really isn’t a QB. Look at the one game he played an above average team (Wisconsin), and how he did as a thrower….one word….pedestrian.

Dude take off those Buckeye glasses. They are warping your mind. Reality has faded on ya Shawnie.

Oh and teams may be built in the trenches but championships are built at the QB position. And ya boys aint got either this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Watch us draft Gabe Carimi, and then have him morph into Kraig Urbik Part Deux.

feltdizz
10-28-2010, 06:20 PM
The Buckeyes lost because their kick coverage sucks and their QB can't throw.

Wisconsin has a huge OL but it's not the reason the Buckeyes lost.. they just aren't that good this year. Who did they beat? Miami and no one else with talent. I want to see Pryor do well because he is from the WPIAL but he can't throw at all. He makes Dixon look like Peyton Manning.

Navy had them on the ropes for a minute.... it's not the OL, it's execution.

flippy
10-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I've also watched Ben negate the importance of the OLine.

QBs + Defense win championships.

Get a great team and build the DLine.

Shawn
10-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Wisconsin has a huge OL but it's not the reason the Buckeyes lost.. they just aren't that good this year. Who did they beat? Miami and no one else with talent. I want to see Pryor do well because he is from the WPIAL but he can't throw at all. He makes Dixon look like Peyton Manning.

You obviously didn't watch the game.

hawaiiansteel
10-29-2010, 12:20 AM
you gotta give the Badgers credit, they basically just lined up and successfully played smashmouth football...hope Bruce Arians was taking notes. :roll:

grotonsteel
10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Buckeyes QB sucks which is nothing new...I would say Troy Smith >>>> T Pryor

T Pryor simply can't make throws against an ok team. All his throws were hitting WR at their feet...He is getting better each year..maybe next year he shows he is an elite QB but for now he is an avg QB.

Buckeyes D played okay in 2nd half but they could not get a stop when needed. There Run-Def was far better in 2nd half though.

feltdizz
10-29-2010, 02:23 PM

I actually watched 59 minutes and 40 seconds of the game. I went to the bathroom right before the kickoff and came back and it was 7-0.

I then watched the Badgers make plays while Terrell Pryor dropped back and tried to run on damn near every pass play. When he did pass the ball it was no where near his WR's.

Like I said.. the Badgers OL was huge... but it was more than the OL that won the game for the Badgers.. If Terrell could throw an accurate pass it they may have pulled it off.

feltdizz
10-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Buckeyes QB sucks which is nothing new...I would say Troy Smith >>>> T Pryor

T Pryor simply can't make throws against an ok team. All his throws were hitting WR at their feet...He is getting better each year..maybe next year he shows he is an elite QB but for now he is an avg QB.

Buckeyes D played okay in 2nd half but they could not get a stop when needed. There Run-Def was far better in 2nd half though.

you obviously didn't watch the game :roll: sarcasm

Shawn
10-30-2010, 10:31 AM

I actually watched 59 minutes and 40 seconds of the game. I went to the bathroom right before the kickoff and came back and it was 7-0.

I then watched the Badgers make plays while Terrell Pryor dropped back and tried to run on damn near every pass play. When he did pass the ball it was no where near his WR's.

Like I said.. the Badgers OL was huge... but it was more than the OL that won the game for the Badgers.. If Terrell could throw an accurate pass it they may have pulled it off.

I don't think I am making the argument that the Buckeyes played well in every facet of that game. What I am saying is the Badgers took control of their game with their OL. They got into the heads of every Buckeye in that game by imposing their will on them. Many fans underestimate the psychological parts of this game. There were several Buckeyes on the sidelines showing utter frustration. And we are not talking about a slob D here. We are talking about an impressive D who was man handled in the trenches.

That Badgers QB is not good. They didn't win on his arm. That OL made the Badgers that game make no mistake.