PDA

View Full Version : What is so special about Jeff Fisher?

MaxAMillion
10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I keep hearing that he is a great coach. Based on what? I just saw on the NFL network that Jerry Jones likes Fisher a lot. Fisher is someone that Jerry would consider for the Head Coaching job even though he is under contract. What has Fisher done that is so specia? His team only seems to make the playoffs every other year and they usually get knocked out when they get in. What is the difference between Fisher and John Fox?

I would never want to consider bringing in a retread like Fisher if I ran an NFL team. Of course Jones makes crazy decisions anyway so maybe he will try and get Fisher to coach the Cowboys.

steelblood
10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I think Fisher is a good coach. I like the way his teams play. Great coach? That is certainly up for debate. He would certainly motivate his players better than Wade Phillips. That dude always looks like he is about to nap or has to poop.

Steelers>NFL
10-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Fisher is a very good coach. He is a winner.
He also coaches in the best conference in NFL - American Conference.
With so many great teams year in and year out, it is very hard to get
to the SB.
Had he been in the National - he would have far more success. JMO.

But I like him as a coach.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2010, 12:25 PM
He's got an epic moustache. That's enough for me.

http://archive.profootballtalk.com/MillionaireFisher.jpg

flippy
10-27-2010, 12:25 PM
He's got a solid team year in and year out. And we've seen that a QB is really the key to winning the SB. He unfortunately hasn't had the right one. Although he's been 1 yard shy.

Steelers>NFL
10-27-2010, 01:22 PM
He's got a solid team year in and year out. And we've seen that a QB is really the key to winning the SB. He unfortunately hasn't had the right one. Although he's been 1 yard shy.

Very true. We know all about needing a good/great QB to win the big-one.
If Fisher was the coach of the Steelers today, there would be no
drop-off from Tomlin. Would they be better with Fisher - don't know.
But definately on drop-off!

feltdizz
10-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Stop the run... run the ball... and hopefully your QB doesn't hurt your chances to win.

He built his team to compete in the AFC Central and sticking with that mantra has made him very successful.

aggiebones
10-27-2010, 03:49 PM
He's a very good coach.
His only flaw is working for a moron owner.
He's been saddled with VY who doesn't have the ability to win in the playoffs or stay healthy. His style will always keep him injured or picked off by good defenses.
But the owner demanded him cause he wanted to keep the Houston area supporters.

Winning SBs is important, but no coach wins alone these days with Free Agency. Fisher is hamstrung.

plainnasty
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
He has only made it to the playoffs a third of the time and has done little in the playoffs besides one Super Bowl appearance. Overrated in my book.

fordfixer
10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Jeff Fisher did some detective work on Kenny Britt's bar fight

By Chris Chase
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-280086 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeff-Fisher-did-some-detective-work-on-Kenny-Bri;_ylt=Atoov2B83.02m5u_ZVRS.CNDubYF?urn=nfl-280086)

Watch your back, Kojak, Columbo and Sherlock Holmes; Jeff Fisher may be taking his talents to private investigation.

Before determining what sort of punishment he would give to wide receiver Kenny Britt(notes) for being involved in a bar fight early Friday morning, the Tennessee Titans head coach went to the scene of the alleged crime and did a little detective work about the case:

"I went with the intention of getting as much information as I possibly could prior to making a decision on whether Kenny was going to play or not. I felt the best way was to go down there and see if I could find out on my own." [...]

"I am not going to go into details, but I did talk to people there," Fisher said. "And from what I was able to obtain, it was more clear that I needed to delay the decision.''

According to The Tennessean, Fisher's investigation included speaking with a number of employees at Nashville's Karma Lounge, a club which boasts it's status as the city's "newest, hottest nightclub" with the "sexiest go-go dancers" and a "10,000 watt turbo sound system." (Yeah, an "investigation." Like Jeff Fisher wasn't already planning on going to the Karama Lounge on a Friday night.) After speaking with them, Fisher determined that he needed to delay his decision before jumping to conclusions.

He ended up suspending Britt for the first quarter. When the second-year receiver returned to the game, he posted a record-setting day for the Titans, hauling in seven catches for 225 yards and three touchdowns. Due in part to Britt's heroics, Tennessee defeated the visiting Philadelphia Eagles, 37-19.

Britt had allegedly joined in a bar fight between two patrons at the Karma Lounge and punched one man in the face, giving him four stitches. He could face misdemeanor assault charges.

Magnum P.I. Fisher said the Titans could levy further sanctions against Britt once the police investigation concludes.

Chadman
10-27-2010, 09:38 PM
As a coach- he's very Cowherian. Believes in strong defense, and a strong running game. Kind of undervalues the QB position too much.

One thing needs to be said about him as a coach- his defense always comes to play, even with what seems yearly turnovers of good players- he just seems to find a good mix of talent for his style of D.

Very rarely hear too many bad words about him as a person either- kinda classy, even if some of his players are not. Maybe he isn't given enough credit for making lemonade out of the lemons Vince Young dealt him the last couple of years- just getting VY productive is an achievement.

He's kind of unfortunate to come across some solid teams year in, year out. If the Steelers were against the Colts every season, you might find the argument about 'being in the playoffs every other year' applicable to whoever is at the helm of Pittsburgh.

RuthlessBurgher
10-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Jeff Fisher did some detective work on Kenny Britt's bar fight

By Chris Chase
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-280086 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeff-Fisher-did-some-detective-work-on-Kenny-Bri;_ylt=Atoov2B83.02m5u_ZVRS.CNDubYF?urn=nfl-280086)

Watch your back, Kojak, Columbo and Sherlock Holmes; Jeff Fisher may be taking his talents to private investigation.

Before determining what sort of punishment he would give to wide receiver Kenny Britt(notes) for being involved in a bar fight early Friday morning, the Tennessee Titans head coach went to the scene of the alleged crime and did a little detective work about the case:

"I went with the intention of getting as much information as I possibly could prior to making a decision on whether Kenny was going to play or not. I felt the best way was to go down there and see if I could find out on my own." [...]

"I am not going to go into details, but I did talk to people there," Fisher said. "And from what I was able to obtain, it was more clear that I needed to delay the decision.''

According to The Tennessean, Fisher's investigation included speaking with a number of employees at Nashville's Karma Lounge, a club which boasts it's status as the city's "newest, hottest nightclub" with the "sexiest go-go dancers" and a "10,000 watt turbo sound system." (Yeah, an "investigation." Like Jeff Fisher wasn't already planning on going to the Karama Lounge on a Friday night.) After speaking with them, Fisher determined that he needed to delay his decision before jumping to conclusions.

He ended up suspending Britt for the first quarter. When the second-year receiver returned to the game, he posted a record-setting day for the Titans, hauling in seven catches for 225 yards and three touchdowns. Due in part to Britt's heroics, Tennessee defeated the visiting Philadelphia Eagles, 37-19.

Britt had allegedly joined in a bar fight between two patrons at the Karma Lounge and punched one man in the face, giving him four stitches. He could face misdemeanor assault charges.

Magnum P.I. Fisher said the Titans could levy further sanctions against Britt once the police investigation concludes.

And you folks thought I was being facetious earlier when I mentioned the epic moustache!

http://images.radcity.net/6832/2997508.gifhttp://style.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/tom-selleck-magnum-pi-c10102602.jpg