PDA

View Full Version : Big Fan starring Patten Oswald

steelblood
10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone seen this movie? It is about a huge Giants fan who lives for his team (to the exclusion of almost everyone and everything else). It is a funny and sad commentary on fans losing perspective. Oswald is very convincing as the dimwitted, superfan whose life spirals after he is involved in an incident with a star Giants player. It is currently on Showtime and Showtime Extreme.

flippy
10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I saw it about a month ago on Showtime. Great movie!!!!

It also made me feel like a bit of a douche for being such a hardcore fan. It was kinda sad. PO is a great comedian and surprising dirty. I was surprised how different he is than the Spencer character he plays on King of Queens. This movie was another stretch for him. He's really talented.

Do you watch Strikeforce on SHowtime? I love me some MMA too.

How about Boardwalk Empire on HBO? Best show ever. I loved the Sopranos, but this is 10x better. Michael Pitt is one of my favorite actors and his movie Funny Games is great. It's a little unnerving. Buschemi is fantastic too in BE.

steelblood
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I saw it about a month ago on Showtime. Great movie!!!!

It also made me feel like a bit of a douche for being such a hardcore fan. It was kinda sad. PO is a great comedian and surprising dirty. I was surprised how different he is than the Spencer character he plays on King of Queens. This movie was another stretch for him. He's really talented.

Do you watch Strikeforce on SHowtime? I love me some MMA too.

How about Boardwalk Empire on HBO? Best show ever. I loved the Sopranos, but this is 10x better. Michael Pitt is one of my favorite actors and his movie Funny Games is great. It's a little unnerving. Buschemi is fantastic too in BE.

You are right. His character is a such a loser. But, we can't compare ourselves. Message boards are much more respectable than call in radio shows. :wink:

I don't watch strikeforce.

Boardwalk Empire is awesome. I love the guy who plays Al Capone. Buscemi is as creepy as it gets. I disagree that it is better than the Sopranos, but they are both fantastic. I also like Eastbound and Down and Nurse Jackie. HBO and Showtime have such great TV. I love shows that don't follow formulas or have Network restrictions.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
I watched Big Fan and want to comment, but don't want to be a spoiler. For those of you who haven't seen the movie yet and don't want me to ruin anything for you, I'll write it in black. If you've already seen the movie, and want to read my little anecdote, you can just highlight it below.

I watched the whole movie by myself, and right at the end of the movie, my 6 year old happens to wander into the room just as Oswalt is opening fire on Rapaport. She has a horrified look on her face, and the only thing I can say is "don't worry...it's just pretend...that's just red paint." Of course, I had no idea...I thought the Giant fan just killed the Eagle fan, and was just making that up to shield my daughter who wandered in at the absolute wrong time. Then when he re-loaded and shot him several more time and I saw the blue splotches, I thought, "Holy crap! It really was red paint!" Now when we see people in Giants or Eagles jerseys around (which is often, since we are only 2 hours away from both New York and Philly), she says to me, "remember that movie with the football guys playing paintball in the bathroom? That was funny."

Spoiler complete.

steelblood
10-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I watched Big Fan and want to comment, but don't want to be a spoiler. For those of you who haven't seen the movie yet and don't want me to ruin anything for you, I'll write it in black. If you've already seen the movie, and want to read my little anecdote, you can just highlight it below.

I watched the whole movie by myself, and right at the end of the movie, my 6 year old happens to wander into the room just as Oswalt is opening fire on Rapaport. She has a horrified look on her face, and the only thing I can say is "don't worry...it's just pretend...that's just red paint." Of course, I had no idea...I thought the Giant fan just killed the Eagle fan, and was just making that up to shield my daughter who wandered in at the absolute wrong time. Then when he re-loaded and shot him several more time and I saw the blue splotches, I thought, "Holy crap! It really was red paint!" Now when we see people in Giants or Eagles jerseys around (which is often, since we are only 2 hours away from both New York and Philly), she says to me, "remember that movie with the football guys playing paintball in the bathroom? That was funny."

Spoiler complete.

Yeah, those final scenes were a surprise, and then in retrospect, not really.

Glad you got to share that movie with your daughter? :lol: My kids have great timing too.

Ozey74
10-30-2010, 05:55 PM
I also endorse this movie as a great watch. A great way to spend a spare 2 hours if you have Showtime. The film would of made more $$ had Patton Oswold been created as a Steeler Fan. Most of Steeler Nation would of seen this movie while it was in the theatre's. I didn't even know it was a movie until I saw it at the DVD rental store. I assume it was on the big screen.

flippy
10-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I think it was a straight to video movie. I never heard of it either.

They probably maximized fan interest by picking 2 teams in 2 huge cities. Pittsburgh and Cleveland/Baltimore/Cincy don't have as many people as NYC and Philly. And no other division has as big a market teams except maybe the Pats/Jets, but they have no proximity.

And Steelers fans will watch it anyways cause it was a good football movie.

steelblood
11-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I think it was a straight to video movie. I never heard of it either.

They probably maximized fan interest by picking 2 teams in 2 huge cities. Pittsburgh and Cleveland/Baltimore/Cincy don't have as many people as NYC and Philly. And no other division has as big a market teams except maybe the Pats/Jets, but they have no proximity.

And Steelers fans will watch it anyways cause it was a good football movie.

I'm glad he wasn't a Steelers fan. He was nuts.

Iron Shiek
12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Been trying to catch this movie...gotta just set my DVR or see if its on the DirecTV on demand thing. I've heard great things about it.

As for Boardwalk Empire, great first season. This show has legs and seems like one that will have a Soprano-esque run on HBO. I don't think it will get the same publicity and fame, but the storyline, acting and writing are all extremely well done. And I love movies/shows set in that time period, so its right in my wheelhouse.

flippy
12-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Boardwalk Empire is 10x better than the Sopranos imho. I just had someone tell me to check out the BE website for more info and there's some pretty cool videos on the site. It's interesting how they created the boardwalk and how all the background is computer animated, including the ocean/sand. It's pretty neat to see the set with the Empire State Bldg in the background.