PDA

View Full Version : Art II steps up...

steelsnis
10-22-2010, 04:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10295/1097163-66.stm

Steelers' Rooney backs Harrison
Friday, October 22, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not only does Steelers president Art Rooney disagree with the NFL's ruling on James Harrison's hit, but he also signaled a cautionary warning to the league that continuing to be so heavy-handed could have consequences.

Mr. Rooney, in an interview with the Post-Gazette Thursday, said the team would back Mr. Harrison in his appeal of a $75,000 fine the league issued to him Tuesday for what it claimed was an illegal high hit on Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"We've told James that if he decides to appeal, he has our support," Mr. Rooney said. Mr. Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, said he filed an appeal Wednesday.

"I think the play was a legal hit," Mr. Rooney said. "It's on the borderline, though."

Borderline is not flagrant, and Mr. Rooney said he was more concerned about how the league moves forward on such hits, and cautioned that suspensions, as threatened by the league, should not be doled out willy-nilly.

"The thing I'm concerned about going forward is the level of discipline and how far we're going with that," Mr. Rooney said. "And I hope that the league office is going to draw a distinction between a flagrant hit, an egregious hit -- whatever these words are that are getting thrown around -- versus something that is a violation but is not flagrant."

Mr. Rooney joined coach Mike Tomlin and Mr. Harrison himself in declaring the hit on Mr. Massaquoi a clean one.

"James' play, I think, was a football play," Mr. Rooney said. "I understand the part about not launching yourself. I think that's the part that was on the borderline. I mean, did he lunge at the guy to make the tackle or did he launch himself?"

Mr. Harrison's fine was the largest of three the league issued to players for what it termed illegal hits during games on Sunday. New England's Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta's Dunta Robinson each were fined $50,000 for their hits.

While not saying the word, it was obvious Mr. Rooney believed that the NFL overreacted to at least two of those plays. He says the only one that should have drawn such a fine was Mr. Meriweather's helmet-to-helmet hit on Baltimore tight end Todd Heap.

"If you look at the plays last weekend, there was only one play ... that was flagrant; and yet when the fine comes out, our guy gets the biggest fine.

"My concern going forward is how is this discipline going to be handled, and are they going to try to draw a distinction as far as suspensions between something that is flagrant and something that's just a fine. I hope that is the direction we're going in, but I don't know."

Mr. Rooney said he was speaking out of concern for the sport and not merely because one of his players was fined.

"Look, we have to be concerned with player safety. I'm in agreement, I think we're all in agreement that the helmet-to-helmet hits are something we have to find ways to take out of the game as much as we can. The other side of it is, it's still football, and guys are out there trying to make tackles. There's going to be helmet-to-helmet contact on occasion.

"I don't think that you can say every time there's one of those hits and a guy gets knocked out that a guy should be suspended for it. I just don't think we can be that black and white."

NFL owners such as Mr. Rooney voted for the safety rules, including a more stringent one added in March in which a receiver must be able to have a split second to put himself in position to protect himself before he gets nailed. However, the owners are not the ones issuing the fines and/or suspensions. That job belongs to Ray Anderson, the NFL vice president of football operations.

"I'm supportive in general trying to take the hits out of the game if we can," Mr. Rooney said. "But I'd hope we don't overreact and we try to draw distinctions between what's flagrant and what isn't flagrant."

Mr. Rooney also believes that criticism of officials for not calling penalties on borderline plays -- none was called Sunday on Mr. Harrison's hit on Mr. Massaquoi -- could prompt officials to throw flags more often and hurt the game's quality.

"It's not a play that stuck out as, boom, there's one that should be flagged," Mr. Rooney said. "I think that's another concern: Are we now going to see flags on any kind of close call like this? The stuff that's happened on the field, a lot of times it's, as we say, a bang-bang play, it happens so fast that the officials are going to miss a call. Fine, let that be reviewed by the league office, let it be handled that way.

"If we're now going to see flags all over the place every time somebody hits somebody, I'm concerned about where that's going in terms of the quality of the game."

Mr. Rooney said he had spoken to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell but had received no promises of how the league would react to such future hits.

"I don't know that we're going to know where this is going until we see the discipline as the weeks go on," Mr. Rooney said. "I think right now this is kind of a new phase, and so we're going to have to see how they're going to deal with it. I have not been given any assurance that there is going to be a distinction made between the flagrant and the nonflagrant hits. But I hope that's the way it's going to be handled as far as suspensions. ... It's really a question of how far is it going to go? And when we bring suspensions into it, I don think suspensions should be a routine discipline that we have every time something like this happens.

Shawn
10-22-2010, 05:17 AM
There is something to be said about an owner who is typically quiet publically taking a very public stance. Guess he has had enough. Good for him and good for the NFL.

AngryAsian
10-22-2010, 05:28 AM
There is something to be said about an owner who is typically quiet publically taking a very public stance. Guess he has had enough. Good for him and good for the NFL.

ABSOFUGGINLUTELY!!! Makes you kind of swell up with pride when your team's ownership shows some real....

http://topnews.net.nz/images/Nuts.jpg

jj28west
10-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Wow!
This is huge to publicly take this stance against the RGL (Roger Goodell League)

BURGH86STEEL
10-22-2010, 05:55 AM
I did not really read that as Rooney taking a stance against the league. The guy is part of the league and voted for increased safety measures. I read it more as a guy that is concerned about how they will make the proper decisions moving forward based on what happen this past weekend. The calls to determine flagrant fouls and the decision to fine players can be very subjective.

As I stated in another thread, it's going to be difficult for the league and officials to determine the difference between flagrant and non flagrant hits. I can see some offensive coaches designing plays that put their players at risk to get a 15 yard penalty. Who's to say they don't do it now?

Again, the NFL is in a fix. I hope they can find a way to limit and decrease the risk of neck injuries and concussions. I think it is possible but will take some time for players and coaches to adapt.

DukieBoy
10-22-2010, 07:10 AM
:Clap :Clap :Clap
:tt1

steelblood
10-22-2010, 07:11 AM
:Clap

Thanks, Art. That is all I wanted. Let the players know that if the league steps out of line, you have their back. Nice work.

steelblood

Mister Pittsburgh
10-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I think most of this crap was just created to be the 18 game schedule. How can the players bring up player safety as an excuse not to have 18 games when they are making the game so much safer for the players. Then, once the new CBA is passed and we have an 18 game schedule, back to business as usual.

flippy
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Kaeg
10-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Thank you Mr. Rooney. It's nice we have an advocate that puts it in the proper language so the big dictator may be able to understand.

ramblinjim
10-22-2010, 07:38 AM
:Beer

Giv'em h3ll Art!

papillon
10-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Someone (I can't recall who it was) declared that Art II would never defend his player in this fiasco and he has. The beauty of it is, that, since, Art II doesn't run his mouth in general this statement will carry a little more weight than from someone who is a chronic complainer.

Good for Art II and it gives Harrison support at the same time. I think in the end after the appeal Harrison's fine will be reduced or Merriweather's increased. Either way, Merriweather should be disciplined to a larger degree than either Robinson or Harrison.

Pappy

fordfixer
10-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Someone (I can't recall who it was) declared that Art II would never defend his player in this fiasco and he has. The beauty of it is, that, since, Art II doesn't run his mouth in general this statement will carry a little more weight than from someone who is a chronic complainer.

Good for Art II and it gives Harrison support at the same time. I think in the end after the appeal Harrison's fine will be reduced or Merriweather's increased. Either way, Merriweather should be disciplined to a larger degree than either Robinson or Harrison.

Pappy
:Agree

MeetJoeGreene
10-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Art II has some stones starting to bud.

Let's hope this snowballs and results in a coup to overthrow the worst commissoner in NFL History.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Poor Art...Alot of wasted time & air on that interview. You should have just summarized the whole thing Art and said, "We've told James that if he decides to appeal, he has our support. Mrs. Goddell, KMA & GFY! Next question."

papillon
10-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Poor Art...Alot of wasted time & air on that interview. You should have just summarized the whole thing Art and said, "We've told James that if he decides to appeal, he has our support. Mrs. Goddell, KMA & GFY! Next question."

Yea, that would get the troops worked up good, but he does have to maintain some semblance of calmness in his demeanor and support the team at the same time. I think he did a very good job with this one.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Yea, that would get the troops worked up good, but he does have to maintain some semblance of calmness in his demeanor and support the team at the same time. I think he did a very good job with this one.

Pappy
I agree Pap. All said in fun. That is the statement :wink: the players are making in the locker room when the doors are closed.

msp26505
10-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Pappy

Grandma always said, "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Polite but firm. Nice work, AJR II.

Leper Friend
10-22-2010, 08:47 AM
As I stated in another thread, it's going to be difficult for the league and officials to determine the difference between flagrant and non flagrant hits.
It's not difficult at all.

When a player literally jumps and headbuts another player , that's flagrant.(See merriweather)

When a receiver comes across the middle and ducks at the last second before getting hit and heads collide , that is not.

It's not difficult at all.Every defensive player , former and current ,have pretty much said as much. What's not to get ?

You've already established that you don't like the physical nature of the game. Football is just not for you. But instead of watching something more your speed , you would rather the game change to suit your pansy ass.You , and fans like you , are the problem.

Sugar
10-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I have to add my support for Art II on this one. This has to at least help James to know that the owner and the coach have publicly supported him as well as various players.

I admit that I don't know much about the appeals process in the NFL. Perhaps he can get a reduced fine or get it thrown out. I'm sure that if he does, it won't be as big a news story.

Oviedo
10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Way to go Art!!! :tt2 :tt2

Now we know he reads this board and is responding to my post :wink: :wink:

Hopefully this is the stone thrown in the water that starts the ripples that begin the process of getting rid of Goodell.

aggiebones
10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Guys, ArtII is doing more in the background than you know. He clearly doesn't like to use the media however. So that when he does, it means something.

grotonsteel
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Big Thank you to ARII for supporting 92....

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

feltdizz
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM

Pappy

Art II would never yada yada.. :Blah

because I know :Blah

:Beer to the II

Dee Dub
10-22-2010, 12:01 PM
What is so awesome about all of this, is the fact that Roger Goodell represents the owners. They are the butter to his toast. I too am proud that Mr. Rooney came forward and said what he did. There is no question that the Pittsburgh Steelers are the class organization of the NFL. We are the model of what a franchise should be and wishes to be.

:tt2

Dee Dub
10-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Oh..and one other thing. You can bet other owners are going to join Mr. Rooney once some of their players start getting suspended.

RuthlessBurgher
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
The message was clear, concise, and to the point and did not reek of sour grapes. His comments are stated with the best interest of the league as a whole in mind, and not merely his own bottom line.

:Clap :Bow :tt2 :tt1

feltdizz
10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh..and one other thing. You can bet other owners are going to join Mr. Rooney once some of their players start getting suspended.

maybe... but next year all the players will be suspended because the owners will be locking them out.

Shawn
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM

Pappy

I admit that I personally didn't think he would stand up for Harrison in this situation. Art II is extremely careful with his PR almost to a fault. But, it appears enough is enough. He has drawn a line in the sand and the ring around the rosie days with the commish could be a thing of the past. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet. But, I can say I was very proud of our owner.

AngryAsian
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The message was clear, concise, and to the point and did not reek of sour grapes. His comments are stated with the best interest of the league as a whole in mind, and not merely his own bottom line.

:Clap :Bow :tt2 :tt1

What was most enjoyable about it was when it came time to hear from the owners, it was our owner who stepped up and spearheaded the effort. Not necessarily anit-Goodell, but certainly a message that served notice that these league mandates/enforcements will not be taken at face value.

BURGH86STEEL
10-22-2010, 06:49 PM
As I stated in another thread, it's going to be difficult for the league and officials to determine the difference between flagrant and non flagrant hits.

When a player literally jumps and headbuts another player , that's flagrant.(See merriweather)

When a receiver comes across the middle and ducks at the last second before getting hit and heads collide , that is not.

It's not difficult at all.Every defensive player , former and current ,have pretty much said as much. What's not to get ?

You've already established that you don't like the physical nature of the game. Football is just not for you. But instead of watching something more your speed , you would rather the game change to suit your pansy bad word.You , and fans like you , are the problem.
Let's see how you feel after a few flags start to fly and players get suspended. Art II is also concerned about the distinction between what is and is not flagrant. It can be a subjective call. He also states about the Harrison hit that, "I think the play was a legal hit, It's on the borderline, though." "On the borderline" speaks to the subjective nature of that particular hit. Refs won't have the ability to slow down and watch plays after the fact. They will make the calls at game speed. Easier said then done. I hope with all your wisdom, you can see the difficult nature of the situation. I take it by your responses that you are a bit short on wisdom and intelligence.

When did I ever state I don't like the physical nature of the game? Genius, I use to play the game. I am all for player safety. Rooney, Tomlin, and many others are for player safety. I guess they are "pansies and problems". I'd rather see players on the field then to have them on the sidelines with concussions. I also don't like the idea of a player losing his life on the field to a head or neck injury. It's unfortunate that you don't seem to understand. It appears is that all you care about is YOUR satisfaction with the game. I am concerned about the welfare of other people. If that makes me a pansy in your eyes so be it.

Leper Friend
10-23-2010, 08:40 AM

You've already established that you don't like the physical nature of the game. Football is just not for you. But instead of watching something more your speed , you would rather the game change to suit your pansy bad word.You , and fans like you , are the problem.
Let's see how you feel after a few flags start to fly and players get suspended. Art II is also concerned about the distinction between what is and is not flagrant. It can be a subjective call. He also states about the Harrison hit that, "I think the play was a legal hit, It's on the borderline, though." "On the borderline" speaks to the subjective nature of that particular hit. Refs won't have the ability to slow down and watch plays after the fact. They will make the calls at game speed. Easier said then done. I hope with all your wisdom, you can see the difficult nature of the situation. I take it by your responses that you are a bit short on wisdom and intelligence.

When did I ever state I don't like the physical nature of the game? Genius, I use to play the game. I am all for player safety. Rooney, Tomlin, and many others are for player safety. I guess they are "pansies and problems". I'd rather see players on the field then to have them on the sidelines with concussions. I also don't like the idea of a player losing his life on the field to a head or neck injury. It's unfortunate that you don't seem to understand. It appears is that all you care about is YOUR satisfaction with the game. I am concerned about the welfare of other people. If that makes me a pansy in your eyes so be it.You're makng all my points for me , so thanks.Players get hurt BECAUSE they play a physical game. YOU don't like that. Therefore , you don't really like football. You like a soft , watered down version of it.

It's also not just about my satisfaction. Every single player I've heard comment on the situaton agrees with me. But don't worry , you , Roger Goodell and the mindless masses will have a great , safe product in 10 years.

And save the drama queen garbage. Really , you don't want to see anyone die ? I'm pretty sure nobody does. Being that it happens so often , I see your concern :roll:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
No other owners step up? Are they waiting to see if their players get ejected this weekend?

Spineless!

skyhawk
10-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Nice job Art! :tt2

Too bad his comments will result in a fine ;) :stirpot