PDA

View Full Version : Merril Hoge: Voice of reason

siss
10-21-2010, 01:52 PM
http://podcast.clearchannel.com.edgesui ... ow_on_WDVE (http://podcast.clearchannel.com.edgesuite.net/PITTSBURGH-PA/WDVE-FM/Meril%20NFL%20Hits.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=PITTSBURGH-PA&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=1734&STATION_ID=WDVE-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=WDVE-FM&PCAST_CAT=Comedy&PCAST_TITLE=The_Best_of_Morning_Show_on_WDVE)

Listen to what he has to say about the rule. IF this is the case, then PERHAPS the NFL isn't wrong on this and MAYBE James is whining a tad (although I do think the fine was a bit much...but then again so was a 4 game suspension).

LordVile
10-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I wanna see someone go out there and cave someone's chest in.. and then see what the rules will be.

papillon
10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
I've said this from the beginning that Silverback simply didn't try to wrap up the player or it would have been fine. The problem will occur when a player gets hit extremely hard and within the rules, but a flag is thrown or a suspension ensues.

Both of Harrison's hits looked bad, because he lead with his forearm and shoulder rather than trying to wrap up. On the Cribbs hit it would have been difficult to wrap up, because Cribbs was already engaged with a tackler. In that instance Silverback did what you've been taught from day one and that is to try and dislodge the ball.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I've said this from the beginning that Silverback simply didn't try to wrap up the player or it would have been fine. The problem will occur when a player gets hit extremely hard and within the rules, but a flag is thrown or a suspension ensues.

Both of Harrison's hits looked bad, because he lead with his forearm and shoulder rather than trying to wrap up. On the Cribbs hit it would have been difficult to wrap up, because Cribbs was already engaged with a tackler. In that instance Silverback did what you've been taught from day one and that is to try and dislodge the ball.

Pappy

If Harrison wraps him up its just a routine hard hit with an injury.

My issue with the launching hits are the concussions of both players. I loved Ryan Clark's hits on McGahee and Wes Welker but he is also injuring himself on those plays and that isn't fundamental football IMO.

A professional football player with a free hit on a defenseless player shouldn't get a concussion.

Shoe
10-21-2010, 07:42 PM
The bottom line is that, with all the padding that NFL players wear these days (mainly the helmet and shoulder pads) it is almost impossible to hit someone without your head (i.e. helmet) making contact... just because of the size of it. I mean, I wish i could demonstrate it but: if you showed proper form in seeing what you tackle, etc. your head/face covered with that big helmet will slide up and contact the opponent's face helmet. And if that contact is sudden, it's gonna cause that guy's head to move forward quickly, and chances are it will hit your helmet.

In other words, it's practically very difficult to hit w/o use of that big thing they call the helmet. If they really care about this issue, they need to go with 21st century versions of leather helmets. THE FACT IS, without the tremendous protection NFL helmets provide, people WILL NOT LAUNCH THEMSELVES in a manner that exposes their head--it's just against human nature. Anyone who has played regular street tackle football knows that... you just can't lead with your noggin w/no protection.

The leather helmet wouldn't be "no protection." It will be a sort of a buffer, and the open-faced nature of it would preclude certain styles of hitting (those that tend to make these big collisions).