PDA

View Full Version : The new rules. Is the NFL trying to slow down the Steelers?

SteelCrazy
10-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Everyone keeps saying its only helmet to helmet the NFL is trying to stop, but it is also trying to cut out forearms to head and neck, also the facemask and shoulders.....even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.

Remember the Mel Blount rule? It was put into effect in 1978, during the Steelers last reign of terror.

Well, the Steelers are at it again, dominating the league a little too much during the Cap years which in part was designed to keep all teams competitive. How do we stop the Steelers now? Kill their defense!

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing or this could have little to do with the NFL's motives, but it seems a little odd to me.

Oviedo
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Answer these questions and you will have your answer:

1. Does Goodell want media week before the Super Bowl with reporters asking Ben about his suspension?

2. Goes Goodell want to hand Ben the Super Bowl trophy in front of the world?

I think you have your answer.

What the idiot commisioner has not calculated is how vicious a wounded animal will fight.

flippy
10-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Everyone in Goodell's neighborhood should dress up as James Harrison for halloween.

SteelTorch
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm telling you (and I know others have said this), this is all because Goodell wants his 18-game season. He knows those two games will have a bad impact on player health, so he's going to water down the sport so they can last those extra two games. It's all about $$$ under a disguise of player safety. :HeadBanger

And to think that pr#ck graduated from the same college I went to!

SteelCrazy
10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm telling you (and I know others have said this), this is all because Goodell wants his 18-game season. He knows those two games will have a bad impact on player health, so he's going to water down the sport so they can last those extra two games. It's all about $$$ under a disguise of player safety. :HeadBanger

You should be fined by the board for using a smiley slamming his head on a brick wall...

Shawn
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry but it's hard for me to buy a conspiracy theory. This is about greed nothing more nothing less. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with slowing the Steelers down. I don't see Goodell rubbing his hands together plotting ways to destroy the Steelers. Art and Goodell have a good working relationship from my understanding. I like it like that. As long as Goodell is commish we have to deal with it the best way we can. And the Steelers FO being "friendly" is just smart business.

In my youth, I lashed out at authority figures. I told em where they could stick it when I didn't agree with them. Today, I realize that brought very poor results. Irritating those with control over your life/team is just ignorant. That doesn't mean you never take a stand, but it does mean you pick your battles. And you do so without publically calling out unless you feel that would bring solution.

SteelTorch
10-21-2010, 12:58 PM

You should be fined by the board for using a smiley slamming his head on a brick wall...
I'd protest, but I'd probably be suspended for that. :lol:

Crash
10-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Goodell has been a thorn in this teams side since he took over.

Look at the facts.

He's also a confirmed lover of the city of Baltimore, where our chief divisional rival hails from.

ALLD
10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Everyone keeps saying its only helmet to helmet the NFL is trying to stop, but it is also trying to cut out forearms to head and neck, also the facemask and shoulders.....even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.

Remember the Mel Blount rule? It was put into effect in 1978, during the Steelers last reign of terror.

Well, the Steelers are at it again, dominating the league a little too much during the Cap years which in part was designed to keep all teams competitive. How do we stop the Steelers now? Kill their defense!

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing or this could have little to do with the NFL's motives, but it seems a little odd to me.

No, you have it wrong. The commossioner is not anti-Steelers, he is pro-Pats and Colts.

hawaiiansteel
10-21-2010, 05:36 PM
it's a conspiracy to cover up the truth, I tell you...

http://www.bigfoothunting.com/images/patterson_bigfoot.jpghttp://blog.syracuse.com/strangecny/2007/10/UFO.bmp

BURGH86STEEL
10-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Go to almost every team's message board and I believe you will read how fans believe the league is out to get their teams.

ikestops85
10-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Go to almost every team's message board and I believe you will read how fans believe the league is out to get their teams.

Exactly, I have to agree with Shawn and Burgh86steel on this. Check out the Seahawks board and many there still believe they lost the SB because the NFL wanted Bettis to win because it made a better story and the league would make more money. That's crap and so is this.

It's about money and nothing else. Goodell is about the PR and when that's bad he has to be seen doing something. Even if that something is not rational. The Steelers unfortunately have been one of the teams whose players are generating bad publicity. First with Ben and now with the injury thing. Do you notice the networks are still showing the hit on Cribbs even though that hit isn't in question?

Let's not turn into whiney fans like the Seahawks have :Binky ... Nobody is out to get the Steelers. $hit happens, that's all.

Dee Dub
10-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Let's see...

The Mel Blount rule, the Hines Ward rule, and now the James Harrison rule?? Every time a Steeler knocks the snot out of someone the league has to have a rule.

:HeadBanger

SS Laser
10-21-2010, 06:33 PM
The nfl wants a watered down game, less injuries. And more games of course. Injuries to good players can lose money. But if the NFL is so worried about money they better figure out the CBA. One year and the whole nfl stands to lose like a billion dollars some one figured out. The link I read also said even if they just delay the start of the season it will lose a crap ton of money.
If I was not addicted to the STEELERS and the game of football I would give it up. But I think I would need a 10 step program for sure. :HeadBanger

SteelCrazy
10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm just saying that they may want the Steelers to be less dominate....spread the money around by making others look more successful. I'm not naive enough to think its personal.

Although, I have seen Bigfoot, for real.

phillyesq
10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
No, you have it wrong. The commossioner is not anti-Steelers, he is pro-Pats and Colts.

This.

As Steelers fans, many of us watch the game rooting for strong defense. On the other hand, the casual fan roots for high scoring and big name qbs.

Goodell wants to promote offense because he believes it helps the NFL brand. The new found religion regarding player safety is about his agenda of getting an 18 game season.

I don't think that there is an anti-Steelers agenda. It just seems to happen that teams that play like the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets don't mesh with the NFL is looking for.

Crash
10-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Goodell's actions prove he's anti-Steeler. Open your eyes people.

BURGH86STEEL
10-21-2010, 07:38 PM

This.

As Steelers fans, many of us watch the game rooting for strong defense. On the other hand, the casual fan roots for high scoring and big name qbs.

Goodell wants to promote offense because he believes it helps the NFL brand. The new found religion regarding player safety is about his agenda of getting an 18 game season.

I don't think that there is an anti-Steelers agenda. It just seems to happen that teams that play like the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets don't mesh with the NFL is looking for.

The rules to promote offenses have been evolving since the 70's, possibly sooner. That's nothing new. Fans can admit it or not but offensive production promotes the NFL brand. I don't know how many times I've heard fans state that low scoring games are boring. Fans usually explode when offenses produce TD's. For myself, I am entertained by a low scoring defensive battle or a high scoring shoot out. Not all fans feel that way. The NFL is attempting to give the fans everything.

I don't believe that the 18 game schedule is totally tied into the promotion of player safety. The fans had the greatest impact on the league wanting to move to an 18 game schedule. One huge reason is that many pre-season games don't sell out. Many fans don't watch pre season games. That boils down to cash money.

IMO, the NFL is looking for all it's teams to be successful at one time or another. That means more money.