PDA

View Full Version : What is the authority on the "hits" ruling?

spyboots
10-20-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't understand, so maybe someone can explain. I know the owners voted to hire the Furor God-dell to be their commissioner, but what exactly is his authority? Can he decide on his own this new rule about the hits? Is there not a committee vote or owners' vote that has to determine this "rule?"

Thanks

brothervad
10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Why Profootballtalk.com, NBC, Rodney Harrison, ESPN...blah, blah, blah...

brothervad

BURGH86STEEL
10-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I believe there is a committee that helps makes these decisions. Appears the NFL was under scrutiny from the FEDS about the safety issues involved with the game (head injuries). That is probably the driving force behind everything we are witnessing. It all leads back to money. Money for the healthcare of the players, possibly in the future. Sure, players know the risks. I guess the league bears some responsibility. How much will it cost to insure players with injuries or head injuries in the future?

They also don't want someone killed as a result of a head injury on the field. That will be very bad for business. I believe they are attempting to be proactive. Appears they are going about it quickly and in the wrong way in the opinion of many people. It's not an easy situation with an easy solution.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... o-congress (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d813c29ef/article/goodell-defends-nfl-policies-on-head-injuries-to-congress)

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
The Competition Committee suggests rule changes (which are then voted on by the owners at one of the owners' meetings). The committee consists of Titans coach Jeff Fisher, Falcons president Rich McKay, Cowboys COO Stephen Jones, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, Giants president and CEO John Mara, Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome, Colts president Bill Polian, and Texans GM Rick Smith.

These rules for hits are already on the books. No actual rules have been changed. Goodell has just decided to place an increased emphasis on enforcing them by using fines and/or suspensions in an effort to reduce such hits.

spyboots
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the answers. :tt1