PDA

View Full Version : Ray Lewis weighs in on Harrison hits...

Dee Dub
10-20-2010, 05:57 PM
''You look at the James Harrision hit, all these hits, whatever they may be, the bottom line is those are hits that you go into your defensive room and you're getting praised for,'' Lewis added. ''Because that's the way the game of football is supposed to be played.''

I like what Charles Tillman of the Bears had to say in this same article…..

''What they're trying to say — 'We're protecting the integrity' — no, you're not,'' Bears cornerback Charles Tillman said. ''It's ruining the integrity. It's not even football anymore. We should just go out there and play two-hand touch Sunday if we can't make contact.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL- ... ame-102010 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-players-wondering-what-is-happening-to-their-game-102010)

Oviedo
10-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Do you think Lewis gets a $75K fine if he made that exact same hit. No way

Lewis has become a poster boy for the NFL

Lewis makes dirty hits every week

Chadman
10-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Support from Ray Lewis?

Holy crap- the end of the world really is nigh..... :(

papillon
10-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Love him or hate him, Ray Lewis is old school football and would prefer that it be played that way.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Do you think Lewis gets a $75K fine if he made that exact same hit. No way

Lewis has become a poster boy for the NFL

Lewis makes dirty hits every week

They don't fine you for jumping on the pile after the fact, getting undeserved credit for someone else's tackle, and then going into a full body seizure celebration after a routine play.

steelsnis
10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
They don't fine you for jumping on the pile after the fact, getting undeserved credit for someone else's tackle, and then going into a full body seizure celebration after a routine play.

I'm no Ravens fan, and there are many reasons to dislike the guy, but it's pretty hard to hate on Ray Lewis for the way he plays linebacker. He's a monster. Been one for 14 years. Sure he's lost a little something, but he's a 35 yo playing MLB in the NFL.

If he was a Steeler we'd all be Ray Ray fans.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm no Ravens fan, and there are many reasons to dislike the guy, but it's pretty hard to hate on Ray Lewis for the way he plays linebacker. He's a monster. Been one for 14 years. Sure he's lost a little something, but he's a 35 yo playing MLB in the NFL.

Just a little friendly playa hatin'. Ray can play (there is certainly no question about that), but there is just a matter of style that tends to turns me off (and it is not just black and gold glasses here...there have been Steelers with similar style quirks that never sat quite as well with me...I have always preferred no-nonsense intimidators like Greg Lloyd and James Harrison over the "look at me" theatrics that Joey Porter and Ray Lewis brought to the table...not to take anything away from Porter and Lewis' games, of course).

stlrz d
10-20-2010, 09:57 PM
I love that the list of current and former NFL players criticizing the NFL for this ridiculousness just keeps growing and growing!

LordVile
10-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Just a little friendly playa hatin'. Ray can play (there is certainly no question about that), but there is just a matter of style that tends to turns me off (and it is not just black and gold glasses here...there have been Steelers with similar style quirks that never sat quite as well with me...I have always preferred no-nonsense intimidators like Greg Lloyd and James Harrison over the "look at me" theatrics that Joey Porter and Ray Lewis brought to the table...not to take anything away from Porter and Lewis' games, of course).

I feel the same way, I don't care for the THEATRICS.. haha just go out there, knock some heads, and be humble IMO. Let your ACTIONS speak for you, so to say.

steelblood
10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Ray has always been an outspoken proponent of smash mouth football. Ray respects the Steelers, and I respect his game. It is teams like the Ravens and Steelers that will be punished most by this. Physical defenses are even further handcuffed now. And Goodell is obviously targeting Tomlin after he defended Harrison. Heaven forbid our coach should have a stance that is unpopular with the league. They simply can't have that. So, they'll threaten him into towing the company line.

Djfan
10-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Ray Ray is right here.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Ray Lewis is smart enough to know that this development hurts his boys as much as it hurts the Steelers. Teams like the Colts, Saints, and Pats are likely partying in the streets while teams like the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets realize that the league is further trying to hamstring their hard-hitting ways in favor of the high-flying offense once again.

Djfan
10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Ray Lewis is smart enough to know that this development hurts his boys as much as it hurts the Steelers. Teams like the Colts, Saints, and Pats are likely partying in the streets while teams like the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets realize that the league is further trying to hamstring their hard-hitting ways in favor of the high-flying offense once again.

+1

This is the vision of the Putz.

papillon
10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
A Steeler, Raven or Jet will be the first player suspended and I'm betting that it happens this weekend.

Potential Suspensions

Steelers - Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Clark
Ravens - Suggs, Lewis, Reed (he's back this week), Ngata
Jets - Scott, Leonhard, Pool, Harris

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
A Steeler, Raven or Jet will be the first player suspended and I'm betting that it happens this weekend.

Potential Suspensions

Steelers - Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Clark
Ravens - Suggs, Lewis, Reed (he's back this week), Ngata
Jets - Scott, Leonhard, Pool, Harris

Pappy

I'll bet it won't be a Jet (they have a bye this week). :wink:

DukieBoy
10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
How many times will ESPN show the Harrison hit on Massaquoi? I've seen them replay it overand over, maybe 60 times by now.

It's making them $$$$$$$$.

Tomlinator
10-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Ray Ray is right here.

:shock: What?! where? Behind me?

I'll bet it won't be a Jet (they have a bye this week). :wink:

At this point I wouldn't put it past Goodell to suspend someone from being too rough during practice.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Here's a tissue for your issue. The game of football is the #1 sport for a reason & it isn't the cheerleaders.

For vet min, I would be Harrison's tackling dumbing for his whole career. Well...Probably not a good argument because I got 75+ on him and I'm sick in the head & love the game but you get the point. The reason the players are paid the way they are paid is they have a unique skill and the risks involved.

As John Madden would say, "This is football...And football should be played like football."

Maybe Goddell should resign and become the commisioner of the MLS. He seems to have a good handle on how to run that sport. For someone with a degree in economics, he seems to have no clue on the repercussions of turning the NFL into soccer. Harrison's hit on Massaquoi was finable by rule...But the decission to allow the excessive fines to be imposed is criminal.

papillon
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I got 75+ on him

Years, pounds or dollars? :P

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I got 75+ on him

Pappy

6'0 325 Why do you think my minds in the trenches? :wink:

papillon
10-21-2010, 02:20 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":ee0v5b36]I got 75+ on him

Pappy

6'0 325 Why do you think my minds in the trenches? :wink:[/quote:ee0v5b36]

Can you play Nose Tackle? :P

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":gk6xqfna]I got 75+ on him

Pappy

Can you play Nose Tackle? :P

Pappy[/quote:gk6xqfna]
NT & G. Excelled at G. Liked it better. NT is really an unselfish position. Hated reading, reacting, and assignment. Never played the 3 technique but that would have been more fun than NT. Depends on the system but OL get to be more physical and impose themselves. OL don't rotate unless injured so you get to win your battle while the DL try to keep fresh. Great feeling lining up through the whole game and feeling the guys across from you wear down. Played ILB in high school early but once you start getting "size" coaches drool...They want lineman.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2010, 03:22 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":7hx2w54m]I got 75+ on him

Pappy

6'0 325 Why do you think my minds in the trenches? :wink:[/quote:7hx2w54m]

Casey is 6'1" 325.

Of course, in Casey's case, that 325 likely means 365. :lol:

SteelTorch
10-21-2010, 03:24 PM
This brings to mind a famous quote by our own #58:

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard," Lambert said.

"Did you?"

"I hit him as hard as I could."

*sigh* You can't get away with stuff like that anymore.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-21-2010, 03:32 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":ltuioe7c]I got 75+ on him

Pappy

Casey is 6'1" 325.

Of course, in Casey's case, that 325 likely means 365. :lol:[/quote:ltuioe7c]
My case too. After a big meal with a 32 ounce bloody steak...I'm about 350. :wink:

ALLD
10-21-2010, 05:23 PM
The Steelers load up on hard hitting defensive players & Hines Ward to dominate the season and the pro-Brady/Manning/Favre commissioner turns the NFL into a finesse league.

It will be interesting to see how the commissioner will even things out for manning now that he has lost two receivers.

stlrz d
10-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Add Lance Briggs to the list of players hatin' on this crap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... um=twitter (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txbearsbriggs&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)