PDA

View Full Version : Mark Slereth hits one out of the park

proudpittsburgher
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
And Goodell's head is on Tee for hit next at bat. . . . I don;t always agree with Schlereth, but this was really well done. Throws the NFL under the bus, runs em over, and backs up to make sure it has been taken care of. WOW. I apologize if this was posted in another thread. Didn;t see it at first glance

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=570743 ... id=2378529 (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5707433&categoryid=2378529)

Oviedo
10-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Truly OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

Schlereth is now on my hero list because he nails Goodell for being the hypocrite he is!!!!

focosteeler
10-20-2010, 03:24 PM
this is the best thing i have ever seen... :Bow :Bow

maybe im just uneducated but i didnt realize the players didn't get health insurance after they retired..... :shock: thats unbelievable to me

flippy
10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I enjoy his points of view. He sounds like a genius cause he's on ESPN.

Good for him for calling out Goodell.

Time has come for a new football league.

And James Harrison can be the torch bearer.

steelblood
10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Exactly. A voice of reason. Thanks, Stink.

grotonsteel
10-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Very well said...voice of reason

Discipline of Steel
10-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Im glad he said everything he did. Im just as mad as you could tell he was. KneeJerk Goodell has changed the ESSENCE of the game in the blink of an eye. He is NOT king, the fans are king and he didnt consult the fans. Players have signed up for extra-ordinary contracts, knowing full well the possible implication of injury. KG has no basis to stand on except his own moral high ground.

pittpete
10-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Schlereth for President!!!
What a difference when someone doesnt work for the NFL Network.

winwithd
10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
If they remove all the hitting and it becomes almost like twohand touch, then they could play 20 games or maybe 22 or 24. I wonder if the NFL is just trying to tick off the players so that they overreact and when there is no new contract next year they will paint it as the players fault. It seems the NFL is doing all it can to aggravate the players. Its all about the money. They don't give a Ravens A$$ about the players' welfare. That is the only reason for more games. I like it the way it is. Sixteen games of real football is enough.

skyhawk
10-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Brilliant.

Can we get a sticky for this link? :tt2

brothervad
10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
think about it...this all has to do with CBA, 18 games and reducing the Unions arguements against it...

NFLPA: "you want 2 games...then add 10 more roster spots per team..."
NFL: "that is out of the question we would have to ad 320 more players to the NFL...you don't need that many people added to the roster..why even suggest it"

NFLPA: "Well injuries for one thing...look at all of the injuries over the years"
NFL: "Well we took care of that...we have a no tolerance policy on "devastating" hits...injuries will go way down...we have shown how much we care about player safety...so no need to augment the rosters."

Totally a bargaining chit for getting their games without having to pay additional players...

tards

brothervad

AngryAsian
10-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I was at the gym on the tread mill and I saw this rant in real time. I immediately texted Shiek, Armpit, and others to log on to ESPN and see this for themselves. Schlereth couldn't have said it any better. Gotta love the "NHL" reference. I have always found his assessments and commentaries fair and spot on... this issue only fortifies my opinion of his skill set as an analyst. I hope more respected ex-players weigh in... although Rodney Harrison and Teddy Bruschi have been big wussies on the subject sucking up to Goodell's perspective.

Discipline of Steel
10-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I was at the gym on the tread mill and I saw this rant in real time. I immediately texted Shiek, Armpit, and others to log on to ESPN and see this for themselves. Schlereth couldn't have said it any better. Gotta love the "NHL" reference. I have always found his assessments and commentaries fair and spot on... this issue only fortifies my opinion of his skill set as an analyst. I hope more respected ex-players weigh in... although Rodney Harrison and Teddy Bruschi have been big wussies on the subject sucking up to Goodell's perspective.

I would love to hear Jack Lambert weigh in. If there ever was a time for his return to the news, now would be the time. Jack! We all need you to speak up and save the NFL!

Chadman
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Well said. Now if only more of the media joined in, then Goodell can REACT to that & change the rules again.

Sports are brought to life by the players, the officials & THE RULES.

Sports are killed by the RULES, when Officials become more important than the Players.

You can over-referee, over-judge, over-complicate something & make it a shadow of what it should be in it's purest form.

Fining violent hits, penalties for touching a QB a few seconds after he has thrown the ball, waiting for a WR to set himself after a catch before being able to hit him....these are events that happen within seconds. How can we expect consistancy on the field if more & more technical rules are added that just increase the chances of bad decisions being made?

Don't over-complecate the game. Violent hits happen. If someone spears themselves, head first into another player- that's pretty obviously dangerous. But these 50-50 'dangerous hits' are more mistiming than violence.

Should we fine QB's who'se timing is off on passing routes?

Vindrow
10-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Schlereth for Commissioner!!!

proudpittsburgher
10-21-2010, 08:07 AM
And the video has been pulled after a day. That's not like ESPN. I wonder if the commish dangled the MNF contract in their faces?

ColumbusSteelerFan
10-21-2010, 08:11 AM
And the video has been pulled after a day. That's not like ESPN. I wonder if the commish dangled the MNF contract in their faces?

It's still there from this link Crash posted on another thread:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315&categoryid=2378529

ramblinjim
10-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I was able to find it too. You have to scroll through some of the other videos to find it on the right hand side of the page. It's called "Schlereth sounds off" or something like that.

Great stuff from Mark. :tt2

ramblinjim
10-21-2010, 08:51 AM
........and I had no idea the players health insurance wasn't covered after they retired. That's ridiculous, the guys that played through probably the 1970's weren't making insane amounts of money, the health care wasn't as good back then, I can't fathom what some of those men had to pay out of pocket for the nagging injuries they carried with the for the rest of their lives; many of them very short.

papillon
10-21-2010, 09:52 AM
The NFL is cruel to its former employees and should really be ashamed of the way they treat retired players. Pre-existing conditions prevent these guys from paying normal premiums for health and life insurance.

An HMO health policy (group rate) for a professional business (engineers, IT, sales, etc) is going to run you in the neighborhood of 16K to 20K per year. I don't want to even fathom a guess what some type of health coverage would cost a retired NFL football player with multiple surgeries, multiple concussions, etc. Some may not even be insurable and certainly actuarial statistics probably show that football players life expectancy isn't the same as a person that works a 9-5 desk job, so obtaining life insurance for his family is probably impossible or cost prohibitive.

It's criminal the way the NFL uses players and then jettisons them as if they never existed once their usefulness has expired. Of course, as always, the players know what they are getting into going in.

Pappy