PDA

View Full Version : NFL called me back, maybe Harrison should retire...

steelblood
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Left Goodell a message. Received a call back from a mid-level NFL exec.

He made a point of saying that Harrison was a seven time offender along these lines (I assumed that meant he'd been warned for fined 7 times for unnecessary hits or conduct). I told him that I thought this particular instance was partly the consequence of the receiver ducking his head. He said the NFL disagrees. He was very nice, but he never really addressed my particular claim. At the end of the conversation, I was left feeling that Harrison will be the target of the NFL every time he does anything near borderline. It is a shame really, but maybe he should just retire. This is probably going to get a lot worse, and he will be suspended in the future.

brothervad
10-20-2010, 01:59 PM
SB,

Can you post the number...I am going to call as well. I am about ready to retire from watching the NFL.

I am serious about that...I can do better things with my time than seeing what will amount to outdoor arena football. this exec doesn't get it...you are blacklisting him so you have neutralized him as an effective defender.

brothervad

steelblood
10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
SB,

Can you post the number...I am going to call as well. I am about ready to retire from watching the NFL.

I am serious about that...I can do better things with my time than seeing what will amount to outdoor arena football. this exec doesn't get it...you are blacklisting him so you have neutralized him as an effective defender.

brothervad

it is listed in this thread by stlrzd...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14179 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14179)

flippy
10-20-2010, 02:22 PM
SB,

brothervad

I remember guys getting murdered playing flag football. Football isn't safe no matter how you slice it.

anger 82&95
10-20-2010, 02:46 PM

He made a point of saying that Harrison was a seven time offender along these lines (I assumed that meant he'd been warned for fined 7 times for unnecessary hits or conduct). I told him that I thought this particular instance was partly the consequence of the receiver ducking his head. He said the NFL disagrees. He was very nice, but he never really addressed my particular claim. At the end of the conversation, I was left feeling that Harrison will be the target of the NFL every time he does anything near borderline. It is a shame really, but maybe he should just retire. This is probably going to get a lot worse, and he will be suspended in the future.
A seven time offender when the definition of the actual “crime” is ambiguous or non-existent. It seems that J. Lambert was correct, but he wasn’t expansive enough with his attire recommendation.

Oviedo
10-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Goodell will make a scapegoat out of Harrison just like he did Ben. He doesn't need a reason or a standard he just needs to put someone on the alter of public relations. :stirpot

Innocent until proven guilty unless Goodell is making the decisions. I hope that Harrison gets the union to go after Goodell and his view of the world.

aggiebones
10-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Harrison should file suit against Goodell and the NFL for vague policing of rules and designating intent.
They are assuming he is aiming to do damage, but in reality, plays develop guys go for a tackle and close their eyes.
The Massequi hit was kinda weak actually. If they are going to incrementally increase money every time someone ducks into him, then it is unfair. Yes, he has had some ugly illegal hits. People are still up in arms about the time he wouldn't let the guy get up and into the play before the whistle blew. I've watched that play 50 times and am still angry that he wasn't applauded for it. This isn't the playground where you don't want to humiliate someone. This is the PRO level.
I'm not for letting players run wild, but I just don't see the intent to injure in Harrison's latest hits. I'm getting irritated.

flippy
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see Goodell suit up so Harrison can show him what a real helmet to helmet hit feels like.

brothervad
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
You know they won't do it...but I would love to the see the family that brought us the Steel curtain come out and support their player and say that the NFL has gone too far in this instance.

I know it won't happen...don't topple the cash cow, but man this has really gone too far.

brothervad

RKSteel
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
The next home game 11/4 Prime Time against Goodell's Pats, all the fans should wear a #92 jersey, in support of Silverback.

And the D should be announced, so he will get a huge ovation.

steelblood
10-20-2010, 03:46 PM
The next home game 11/4 Prime Time against Goodell's Pats, all the fans should wear a #92 jersey, in support of Silverback.

And the D should be announced, so he will get a huge ovation.

All fans should make their own, "don't ruin football" or "NFL=hypocritical" t-shirts.

skyhawk
10-21-2010, 02:56 AM
This summer it was the media lynching of big ben.

Now it's the media/NFL lynching of Debo.

Can the Steelers catch a break? :HeadBanger

papillon
10-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Actually, Harrison has a lot of support from former players and some media members. Ben had zero support including from the fan base. The two are drastically different from a media perspective, IMO.

Pappy

DukieBoy
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
That the NFL called back, and spent time going through their talking points with you, tells me how much they want to control the spin on this, and in doing so they will paint James as the worst of bad guys to do so. It's James against the NFL, and the players and many fans of the game are lining up with James on this.

And take out stock on knee replacements, because knee injuries will increase because of this.

Tomlinator
10-21-2010, 10:40 AM
That the NFL called back, and spent time going through their talking points with you, tells me how much they want to control the spin on this, and in doing so they will paint James as the worst of bad guys to do so. It's James against the NFL, and the players and many fans of the game are lining up with James on this.

And take out stock on knee replacements, because knee injuries will increase because of this.

Harrison is a marked man.

Not only is the NFL putting spin on this, they will tag someone sooner rather then later to prove their point. I'm not sure how they can back out gracefully on an issue of player safety and admit they made a knee jerk reaction.

Now does this become another chip in the labor negotiations?

skyhawk
10-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Actually, Harrison has a lot of support from former players and some media members. Ben had zero support including from the fan base. The two are drastically different from a media perspective, IMO.

Pappy

It may be different in their "perpsective", and how they judge both incidents, but the media is still out of control in both instances with over the top coverage.