PDA

View Full Version : Fundamentals

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
After listening to a few sports radio shows and hearing some calls from fans the word fundamental kept coming up.

While I think the Harrison fines are excessive and he is being used as a poster child for all things wrong with the NFL because of his size and demeanor.... I don't think the NFL is completely wrong for trying to clean up the hits. The timing is suspect and reactionary but with the new concussion rules the number of concussions has jumped dramatically. This isn't a new rule.. its a stiffer penalty on an old rule.

I think the Pats defender should be the poster child for head hunting... he isn't going for the ball or even trying to separate a guy from the ball... he is just jumping up and head butting guys.

I truly believe there is a lack of fundamentals being applied by DB's in certain situations. Anyone who has played the game knows launching your body like a missile isn't fundamental football. It looked cool when Clark hits McGahee.. but what about the times when Clark misses a defender or when Troy flies through the air and bounces off a guy and he gets 5 more yards? What do we scream out loud? WRAP UP!!!

After listening to a few sports radio shows and hearing some calls from fans the word fundamental kept coming up.

steelblood
10-20-2010, 09:48 AM

While I think the Harrison fines are excessive and he is being used as a poster child for all things wrong with the NFL because of his size and demeanor.... I don't think the NFL is completely wrong for trying to clean up the hits. The timing is suspect and reactionary but with the new concussion rules the number of concussions has jumped dramatically. This isn't a new rule.. its a stiffer penalty on an old rule.

I think the Pats defender should be the poster child for head hunting... he isn't going for the ball or even trying to separate a guy from the ball... he is just jumping up and head butting guys.

I truly believe there is a lack of fundamentals being applied by DB's in certain situations. Anyone who has played the game knows launching your body like a missile isn't fundamental football. It looked cool when Clark hits McGahee.. but what about the times when Clark misses a defender or when Troy flies through the air and bounces off a guy and he gets 5 more yards? What do we scream out loud? WRAP UP!!!

I coach and have played football as many here have. If you play linebacker or DB, you try to separate the receiver from the ball. To do so, you aim for the ball with your shoulder. This is what Harrison did. Massaquoi ducked and Harrison hit his head instead. You can't punish players for doing what is fundamentally correct without fundamentally changing the game and the way it is played.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM

I coach and have played football as many here have. If you play linebacker or DB, you try to separate the receiver from the ball. To do so, you aim for the ball with your shoulder. This is what Harrison did. Massaquoi ducked and Harrison hit his head instead. You can't punish players for doing what is fundamentally correct without fundamentally changing the game and the way it is played.

I'm not singling out Harrison.. I don't even think it was helmet to helmet, it was more forearm and size that crushed Massaquoi.

Fundamental football would mean wrapping Massaquoi up... if it was Hollis or McClain and Harrison makes that same hit and the guy bounces off of him and gets 15 more yards I'm sure as a coach you wouldn't say Harrison used proper technique.

My concern is the launching of DB's.. Clark has laid out a ton of players but he has also injured himself in the process. That shortens his career as well as the opponents.

There are more than enough threads screaming about how Harrison was wronged... I'm just trying to start a discussion about fundamental football vs. jacked up hits and if the NFL is truly evil for trying to do something about it. Take Harrison out of the argument and insert another player's name. Is it OK to keep the game as it is or should the league try to protect guys from DeShaun Jackson and Ryan Clark type hits.

grotonsteel
10-20-2010, 10:31 AM

I'm not singling out Harrison.. I don't even think it was helmet to helmet, it was more forearm and size that crushed Massaquoi.

Fundamental football would mean wrapping Massaquoi up... if it was Hollis or McClain and Harrison makes that same hit and the guy bounces off of him and gets 15 more yards I'm sure as a coach you wouldn't say Harrison used proper technique.

My concern is the launching of DB's.. Clark has laid out a ton of players but he has also injured himself in the process. That shortens his career as well as the opponents.

There are more than enough threads screaming about how Harrison was wronged... I'm just trying to start a discussion about fundamental football vs. jacked up hits and if the NFL is truly evil for trying to do something about it. Take Harrison out of the argument and insert another player's name. Is it OK to keep the game as it is or should the league try to protect guys from DeShaun Jackson and Ryan Clark type hits.

What is wrong with Dunta Robinson hit on Jackson???? Its legitimate...its Football

The only questionable hit was of Merriweather...where he is spearing which is dangerous.

How about this..Why are QBs throwing stupid passes which kills their WR???

Leper Friend
10-20-2010, 10:50 AM

What is wrong with Dunta Robinson hit on Jackson???? Its legitimate...its Football

The only questionable hit was of Merriweather...where he is spearing which is dangerous.

The thing that makes me crazy about the desean jackson play is that he can run his long out patterns and run out of bounce and do the stupid 1st down point. Or he can run his pretty fly patterns and do a stupid dance after scoring. But if you come across the middle , he's going to pay the price. Well , not anymore.

steelblood
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM

I understand your argument, but if you really want to protect players from head injuries, I'd suggest bigger helmets made of softer material. The hard shell on the helmet leads to concussions for several reasons. First, Players use them as weapons because they are hard (any advantage will be used). Second, the hard shell causes an instant bounce at impact instead of absorbing the hits. This will likely never happen, but it would solve most of the head injury issues. A helmet that is twenty-five percent larger and mostly made of high-density foam would signficantly improve the situation. Some plastice shell or bands will be necessary for attaching the face mask, but the outer and inner layers could mostly be foam or some other impact absorbing material. Heck, we could duct tape small airbags to their helmets. This would help too. But, none of these ideas will be suggested. The NFL needs punishing hits (and will likely not sacrifice the danger and speed of the game). This is how they make money.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Dunta's hit on Jackson was legal but he was hurt on the play as well... not sure if he launched himself or not but when I see a player hit a WR's who isn't looking and they hurt themselves on the play it's usually due to a lack of technique.

QB's don't intentionally try to hang players out to dry.... they don't see the whole field either so you can't blame them for throwing a pass to an "open WR"

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
If the ball carrier totally possesses and has secured the ball then, yes, you wrap up. If the ball is still being secured, you go for the the big hit to dislodge the ball and nullify the reception. So, in this case, he was fundamentally correct.

I understand your argument, but if you really want to protect players from head injuries, I'd suggest bigger helmets made of softer material. The hard shell on the helmet leads to concussions for several reasons. First, Players use them as weapons because they are hard (any advantage will be used). Second, the hard shell causes an instant bounce at impact instead of absorbing the hits. This will likely never happen, but it would solve most of the head injury issues. A helmet that is twenty-five percent larger and mostly made of high-density foam would signficantly improve the situation. Some plastice shell or bands will be necessary for the face mask, but the outer and inner layers could mostly be foam or some other impact absorbing material. Heck, we could duct tape small airbags to their helmets. This would help too. But, none of these ideas will be suggested. The NFL needs punishing hits (and will likely not sacrifice the danger and speed of the game). This is how they make money.

I agree on the equipment... if we can send people to the moon and heat up food in 25 seconds we can make a better helmet.

Again, I didn't think Harrison's hit was illegal... I just question the launching we are seeing when wrapping up would have the same effect.

A guy on the radio asked about Ronnie Lott.. very hard hitter but said he had great technique. I'll try to dig up some footage to look at but I think he was knocking guys out too.. it just wasn't recorded or reported the way it is now.

papillon
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Almost to a man every pundit believes that Harrison's hit on Massaquoi was not legal. I can't remember all the names, but everyone on NFLN for sure. Fundamentally, it was not a good tackle. He could have delivered that a big hit and wrapped up; it appears that he's head hunting, IMO.

The Cribbs hit certainly seemed more severe than the Massaquoi hit, because, it was helmet-to-helmet, but for some reason that is deemed legal by the NFL, because, a running back is not a defenseless player.

I didn't like either hit and would rather see Silverback tackle through the player rather than simply delivering a blow with his shoulder/forearm. In the Cribbs case, since, Cribbs was being held up by Woodley, I understand going for the ball and the fumble, however, he hit Cribbs awfully high.

Neither play was malicious, but they both were violent.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Maybe if the networks (mostly ESPN AND NFL) limits or eliminates the replays of big hits during highlights, players will be more likely to make a good tackle as opposed to going for the "big hits" The coaches have some responsibility as well.

I believe the league is attempting to eliminate the possibility of someone being killed while out on the football field. I can't blame them for that. It will be difficult for the refs to make the proper calls during game speed.

grotonsteel
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM

Dunta's hit on Jackson was legal but he was hurt on the play as well... not sure if he launched himself or not but when I see a player hit a WR's who isn't looking and they hurt themselves on the play it's usually due to a lack of technique.

QB's don't intentionally try to hang players out to dry.... they don't see the whole field either so you can't blame them for throwing a pass to an "open WR"

Well thats how you differentiate between a great QB and an average QB...just because you see a open WR one should not throw the ball to him and lead him directly to a DB freight train.

Deshawn Jackson deserved to be hit like that...it does two things:

1. Kolb will never dare to make throw like that in his life else his WR will kill him in the locker room.
2. Deshawn Jackson will think twice before catching the ball in middle going forward.

papillon
10-20-2010, 12:15 PM

They may not intentionally hang receivers out to dry, but I will guarantee you that McCoy is going to hang his receivers out to dry more often than Peyton Manning will. Inexperience at the quarterback position gets receivers hit hard and McCoy's inexperience and Massaquoi's lack of recognition are directly attributable to the blow Massaquoi received.

Pappy

steelblood
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Almost to a man every pundit believes that Harrison's hit on Massaquoi was not legal. I can't remember all the names, but everyone on NFLN for sure. Fundamentally, it was not a good tackle. He could have delivered that a big hit and wrapped up; it appears that he's head hunting, IMO.

The Cribbs hit certainly seemed more severe than the Massaquoi hit, because, it was helmet-to-helmet, but for some reason that is deemed legal by the NFL, because, a running back is not a defenseless player.

I didn't like either hit and would rather see Silverback tackle through the player rather than simply delivering a blow with his shoulder/forearm. In the Cribbs case, since, Cribbs was being held up by Woodley, I understand going for the ball and the fumble, however, he hit Cribbs awfully high.

Neither play was malicious, but they both were violent.

Pappy

The NFL Network agrees with the league? Shocking.

Look, I think Harrison's hit was violent and perhaps excessive, but his trajectory was not in line with Massaquoi's head, until Massaquoi ducked. This is an unfortunate circumstance, but it should be considered. And, it is not.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 12:40 PM

They may not intentionally hang receivers out to dry, but I will guarantee you that McCoy is going to hang his receivers out to dry more often than Peyton Manning will. Inexperience at the quarterback position gets receivers hit hard and McCoy's inexperience and Massaquoi's lack of recognition are directly attributable to the blow Massaquoi received.

Pappy

Hines has been clocked a few times but he pops up with a smile. It's one thing to lollipop a throw but most times QB's are throwing to open spots and if the defense is playing zone hits like that will happen. If Massaquoi makes the catch clean and goes down Randle El style its nothing to write about...

WR's have a responsibility as well when going over the middle.. if you cross the middle straight up.. you will get popped.

papillon
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Pappy

Hines has been clocked a few times but he pops up with a smile. It's one thing to lollipop a throw but most times QB's are throwing to open spots and if the defense is playing zone hits like that will happen. If Massaquoi makes the catch clean and goes down Randle El style its nothing to write about...

WR's have a responsibility as well when going over the middle.. if you cross the middle straight up.. you will get popped.

Yup and Massaquoi should have settled his route between Timmons and Harrison. There's no way you continue that route into the teeth of the defense. I can't blame McCoy for throwing it as much as I blame Massaquoi for poor recognition and route running.

That play was a train wreck waiting to happen and it happened.

Pappy

brothervad
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Actually guys NFLN guys like Sharpe and Mayock don't agree with the NFL...

They both said it's basically a bad decision...

Sharpe...said the days of a defense imposing it's will are over....

I mean those who haven't played like a Florio don't seem to get it...the game is also about mental toughness...

sometimes teams just mail it in after being beaten up for 3 quarters...As Steeler fans we have seen that often.

The slant route is about to become a big play offensive call...the reason it isn't as successful is because of the fact that going over the middle can be deadly.

That threat has now been neutralized...look to see amazing numbers by Wes Welker.

Do you think a defender who is out of position is going to lunge to try and stop the play? Normally he would...but even if there is a split second of hesitance...Welker is gone.

This is a black day in the NFL...

Brothervad

grotonsteel
10-20-2010, 01:00 PM

I mean those who haven't played like a Florio don't seem to get it...the game is also about mental toughness...

sometimes teams just mail it in after being beaten up for 3 quarters...As Steeler fans we have seen that often.

The slant route is about to become a big play offensive call...the reason it isn't as successful is because of the fact that going over the middle can be deadly.

That threat has now been neutralized...look to see amazing numbers by Wes Welker.

Do you think a defender who is out of position is going to lunge to try and stop the play? Normally he would...but even if there is a split second of hesitance...Welker is gone.

Brothervad

:Clap :Agree

steelblood
10-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Brothervad

how can you avoid hitting wes welker in the head? The dude is a helmet with feet already.
:)

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Brothervad

I think we will see more injuries to the knees the rest of the season.

brothervad
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Felt,

It won't be just that...defender/tackler concussions will go way up as well as they start taking knees to the head and jaw...

And then NBC/ESPN will make a stink about it...what will the NFL do the following week.

brothervad

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Felt,

It won't be just that...defender/tackler concussions will go way up as well as they start taking knees to the head and jaw...

And then NBC/ESPN will make a stink about it...what will the NFL do the following week.

brothervad

No bending of the knees...you might give someone a boo-boo!

You must now matriculate down the field via the goose step.

And don't forget to Heil Goodell on your way to the end zone.

fordfixer
10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Brothervad

how can you avoid hitting wes welker in the head? The dude is a helmet with feet already.
:)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTaPHpdFmxfirXgUwinOHV9W7qidrZB 8dRx1rd_lubmY7VFh4&t=1&usg=__Uf7Smrwtfz2Mz4ymwFdLKzQ9zjM=

papillon
10-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Brothervad

Brothervad, the NFLN show I was watching (Total Access I think) definitely had Sharpe and Mayock in agreement that Harrison's fine was deserved. I was watching last night, maybe they changed their stance today after reviewing the tape and really evaluating the seismic change that may take place in the NFL.

Pappy