PDA

View Full Version : Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit

SteelCrazy
10-20-2010, 02:17 AM
James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ne-for-hit (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit)

LordVile
10-20-2010, 02:32 AM
this is starting to get ridiculous, I feel for Harrison.

Crash
10-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Roger Goodell is ruining the league.

NFL = No Fans Left

That's what this is heading for.

fordfixer
10-20-2010, 03:52 AM
Tomlin supports tougher penalties
FOX Sports
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/helm ... son-101910 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/helmet-to-helmet-hits-Mike-Tomlin-penalty-James-Harrison-101910)
Updated Oct 19, 2010 5:03 PM ET
PITTSBURGH (AP)

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin favors the NFL's stricter enforcement of helmet hits. But he still insists linebacker James Harrison's violent hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi was within the rules.

The NFL is reviewing whether Harrison's concussion-causing hit on Massaquoi warrants a fine or suspension. The league said Tuesday it will immediately begin suspending players for dangerous and flagrant hits, particularly those involving helmets.

Harrison sidelined Browns receivers Massaquoi and Joshua Cribbs with concussions on separate hits about seven minutes apart in the second quarter of the Steelers' 28-10 victory Sunday. Harrison lowered his head and slammed helmet-first into the left side of Cribbs' helmet, but the NFL deemed the hit legal because Cribbs was a runner.

Despite the Steelers' reputation for being one of the league's most physical and intimidating teams, Tomlin said Tuesday he favors whatever the NFL deems necessary to make the game safer.

''I'm all for player safety. I think it is the proper initiative that the NFL has,'' he said. ''I think we need to safeguard the men that play this game to the best of our abilities and make it as safe as we can. I'm a proponent of player safety and whatever rule or rule adjustments we need to make to make it safer.''

One way to eliminate some of the helmet hits, he said, is to further emphasize a lowering of the strike zone the area where players are tackled.

''Helmet-to-helmet contact is going to occur from time to time in football,'' Tomlin said. ''Things happen fast, these are big, moving people. I think the issue is here that we coach a lowering of the target, to reduce the number of those opportunities and to talk about flagrant or egregious approaches.''

Tomlin didn't speculate whether Harrison might be fined or suspended. He stood by his postgame comments Sunday, when he said that neither hit was worthy of punishment.

Still, Tomlin said he supports whatever punitive action the league takes against any player it deems as violating the stricter rules.

''I am a proponent of levying whatever kind of punishment the NFL office deems necessary for those that are repeat offenders or those that are flagrant, and those that are egregious hits,'' he said.

Discipline of Steel
10-20-2010, 07:17 AM
I was wondering if this could become an issue. The 'new rule' seems targeted at the intimidators and James Harrison is by far the biggest intimidator in the league. I have always loved my Steeler LBs since Jack Lambert set the intimidator standard back in the day.

Terrible to change things mid-week when the players have been training to play a certain way all year. I hope we dont start seeing a rash of suspensions for hard hits!!??!!

Imagine if James Harrison has to hang them up because he is too tough for the game.

Goodell, you are my mortal enemy :Hater

chiken
10-20-2010, 07:31 AM
wow 75K. I cant imagine going to to work for a week and not seeing a check, and then next week I saw a 3rd of a check.

Sad day.

I hope our entire starting Defense (and Ben) puts a little money to the side for his fine if he cant get it reduced.

Its not Silverbacks Fault that MM wet the bed and lowered himself into a Man-fetus when he realized whose Zone he was in.

If Harrison has to Curb his appetite for the game to fit in with the new tennis league, he is not going to be who he is... Could anyone blame him for walking away... Who in the heck wants to come to work as a man and be forced to play as a woman.

shame.

papillon
10-20-2010, 07:55 AM
One of two things will happen this weekend during the football games.

1) There will be a lot of suspensions for illegal hits.

or

2) Scoring will skyrocket because WRs are going to get a false sense of bravado because they will feel like they aren't going to get their clocks cleaned. It will turn receivers that would never do what Hines does into Hines Ward type receivers in the middle of the field.

Pappy

AngryAsian
10-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I still think he can be effective.

What I'm wondering is when are they going to make the QBs adjust their mechanics so that they don't hang their receivers out for defensive players to come tee-off on them.

papillon
10-20-2010, 08:07 AM

What I'm wondering is when are they going to make the QBs adjust their mechanics so that they don't hang their receivers out for defensive players to come tee-off on them.

Massoqui got blown up because of his own lack of recognition and Colt McCoy's inexperience. How long do you have to play football to know that running a crossing route through a zone is dangerous and even reckless? Massaqui didn't recognize the zone and McCoy throws him a pass directly into the OLBs zone. The problem here is not Silverback, but a lack of basic football knowledge.

Massaqui needs to settle that route between the two backers not run through the zone and in particular such a shallow route. You have to know linebackers are lurking in there.

Pappy

steelsnis
10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
I guess the question is, if Harrison had simply put his arms around Massoquoi's body when he lit him up, would he not have been fined? Is it strictly the forearm shiver that drew the fine? The helmet? What exactly caused the fine to be levied?

It's the kind of nebulous gray-area that's a bit confusing here.

chiken
10-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Effective perhaps but Intimidation is a big PArt of his game, heck thats Steeler football. Every team Knows that when you play the Steelers its going to probably be the most physical game you have on your schedule.. We have STEELER week at least 16 times a year... We have always been the Team that hits more then they Tackle.

If now before you make a Hit you have wonder if its VIcious or not, that will make you come to the ball a little slower (ala Gay Vs Peterson) you have to commit a half second later because you are not sure if the guy can see you coming..

If this flys then God-hell has successfully changed the NFL into one dimensional league. (IMHO)

Starlifter
10-20-2010, 09:30 AM
the interesting thing to me, is I don't think the hit was helmet to helmet. I've watched that play now from several angles and the thing that sticks out most, is massaquoi juggles the pass from mccoy. He nearly drops it and the ball ends up down around his knees. He leans over and looks down to try to reel it in. That very act causes him to go low and place his head forward just while Harrison is also going low for a proper mid-section tackle. even with all that, it appears the helmets do not strike each other head on. instead there's a glancing blow with the brunt of impact delivered by his shoulder and forearm.

for 75 grand I'd hire nasa physics professors to go over that thing frame by frame. give it the zapruder film treatment and force the NFL to recognize it's impossible to legislate out violence in the most violent game in america.

flippy
10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I hope he does retire. F Goodell!!!!!!

The NFL gets lamer by the minute.

Why do I even watch?

Maybe they should stage it like the WWE.

Sugar
10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I know I would consider quitting my job if I did what I had always been told was a good job and then was punished for it. In Harrison's case, the boss had even praised his work as "good football."

The NFL is WRONG here.

The problem is that even if James retired today. It would be a big story this week and then there would be some other story. Steelers fans aren't going to quit watching or anything and the controversy might will just provide more viewers, clicks and articles sold.

flippy
10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I hope he does retire. F Goodell!!!!!!

The NFL gets lamer by the minute.

Why do I even watch?

Maybe they should stage it like the WWE.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I guess the question is, if Harrison had simply put his arms around Massoquoi's body when he lit him up, would he not have been fined? Is it strictly the forearm shiver that drew the fine? The helmet? What exactly caused the fine to be levied?

It's the kind of nebulous gray-area that's a bit confusing here.

:Agree If he wraps up it wouldn't be a highlight.

anger 82&95
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Effective perhaps but Intimidation is a big PArt of his game, heck thats Steeler football. Every team Knows that when you play the Steelers its going to probably be the most physical game you have on your schedule.. We have STEELER week at least 16 times a year... We have always been the Team that hits more then they Tackle.

If now before you make a Hit you have wonder if its VIcious or not, that will make you come to the ball a little slower (ala Gay Vs Peterson) you have to commit a half second later because you are not sure if the guy can see you coming..

If this flys then God-hell has successfully changed the NFL into one dimensional league. (IMHO)
What is football without intimidation? The players might as well stay home and play techmo bowl

focosteeler
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I was wondering if this could become an issue. The 'new rule' seems targeted at the intimidators and James Harrison is by far the biggest intimidator in the league. I have always loved my Steeler LBs since Jack Lambert set the intimidator standard back in the day.

Terrible to change things mid-week when the players have been training to play a certain way all year. I hope we dont start seeing a rash of suspensions for hard hits!!??!!

Imagine if James Harrison has to hang them up because he is too tough for the game.

Goodell, you are my mortal enemy :Hater

:Bow

i am also wondering if the nfl starts handing out multiple suspensions a week what the players will do. you hear so many current players, and retired players saying they don't think much will change. if it doesnt change and the nfl starts handing out multiple suspensions along with hefty fines every week what the players will do. could they/would they strike? or something along those lines....

imagine if we lose a game or two because some of our best players are sitting out because they hit too hard. :evil:

papillon
10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
I wonder if Hines Ward's hits on Keith Rivers and Ed Reed would be fined? You could say that both of those players were defenseless couldn't you? Or, is this just another way to try and add more offense by penalizing defensive players only?

Pappy

Crash
10-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Tomlin gives Steelers' Harrison day off after big fine
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with linebacker James Harrison today and decided to excuse him for the rest of the work day, a team spokesman said this morning.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

A source had told the Post-Gazette that Harrison called the Steelers Tuesay and told them he would not be coming to work today. However, he did report to their facility on the city's South Side to meet with Tomlin.

The Steelers said Tomlin would be available after practice today to discuss the situation.

Iron Shiek
10-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I know I would consider quitting my job if I did what I had always been told was a good job and then was punished for it. In Harrison's case, the boss had even praised his work as "good football."

The NFL is WRONG here.

The problem is that even if James retired today. It would be a big story this week and then there would be some other story. Steelers fans aren't going to quit watching or anything and the controversy might will just provide more viewers, clicks and articles sold.

:Clap

You summed up my point exactly with your first comment there. He's been trained that way, it would be hard to suddenly change something you've known to do your whole life. Some people can change, but I don't think its in a football player's nature to go from always being out there trying to punish a player, to then letting up and "Cromartie'ing" everything.

SteelAbility
10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Something tells me that when the pi$$ed off effect wears off and Harrison takes a good look at the $$$$$$$ to be lost by quitting, he'll find a way to adapt. You got to be really messed up in the head to value hitting big so much that you're willing to walk away from millions of dollars.

steelblood
10-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Something tells me that when the pi$$ed off effect wears off and Harrison takes a good look at the $$$$$$$ to be lost by quitting, he'll find a way to adapt. You got to be really messed up in the head to value hitting big so much that you're willing to walk away from millions of dollars.

I totally agree. But, he is a little crazy.

papillon
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Maybe it's principal and character,rather than money that drives Harrison. Based on the way he plays, I'd say the money is simply the icing on the cake.

Pappy

Crash
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
The same guy who was in the weight room TWO DAYS after winning SB XLIII called the Steelers to say he wouldn't be coming to work on Wednesday.

I'd say that's an alarming development indeed.

SteelAbility
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Too much to lose for Harrison here. If the front end of his contract were heavily loaded, it's much more legitimate. But when the back end is loaded and you haven't got there yet, you gotta be a total idiot to walk away from big future money because of what you've been told about hitting. Yeah, it sucks. I hate the ruling/policy. But if I had big money to lose, no way I wouldn't adjust.

This just may very well be Harrison doing what his agent told him to do. It's a political statement and a way of telling the NFL that they have something to lose too by making ridiculous rules.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Harrison's response to all of this should be to hit the next guy harder.

Pray for poor Davone Bess this weekend.

sentinel33
10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
this could be politics and harrison is more or less speaking for the players here, i would imagine.
i also feel that because it would cause harrison to ease up, he's concerned with injury. and if these fines/suspensions start rolling down and players start to ease up or be careful of what/how they are hitting, they will be the ones who get hurt.
Straight up-harrison is simply one of the baddest mothas in football and he's getting flack because the nfl is in the middle of a concussion epidemic. victim of circumstance. the sooner the nfl realizes this the better before things spin out of control.
please dont retire James. you are an inspiration to a lot of people. dont let'em get you down brother!

brothervad
10-20-2010, 01:31 PM
So what happens in a game where a defender is out of position but doesn't go for the lunge tackle...

We talk about technique...and in a perfect world every tackle would be perfectly made...but there will be times where a tackler just needs to make a tackle regardless of technique.

What happens to that player who decides not to take the risk of getting potentialy suspended?

I think the coaches would be furious if that player allowed a big play...but they aren't the ones that will be losing a game's paycheck.

I think it's funny now how the talking heads are playing Monday Morning QB and reviewing the plays that were fined and saying...was that really an illegal hit? OMG this media makes me want to puke.

I wonder what happens when NBC or ESPN need to jazz up a dull matchup week down the road...what controversy will they muster then? Now that the NFL has in as much admitted they will bow to the will of it's lord and master...you think the media is not going to continue to immerse itself into the middle of policy.

Finally, do you think Jack Lamber would play in this NFL? Would you criticize him if he just said...I am done with it? It's a garage league.

I wouldn't ...in fact, I would applaud Jack Splat...we should consider the same approach with Harrison..no he is not Jack Splat...but I think he "the cut of his gib."

brothervad

Steelers>NFL
10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Harrison makes a lot more money than he is paying out on fines.
He is not going anywhere!

phillyesq
10-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Massoqui got blown up because of his own lack of recognition and Colt McCoy's inexperience. How long do you have to play football to know that running a crossing route through a zone is dangerous and even reckless? Massaqui didn't recognize the zone and McCoy throws him a pass directly into the OLBs zone. The problem here is not Silverback, but a lack of basic football knowledge.

Massaqui needs to settle that route between the two backers not run through the zone and in particular such a shallow route. You have to know linebackers are lurking in there.

Pappy

:Agree

Pappy, you are right on. There used to be a time when the blame for a hit like this was placed on the QB. You don't lead people into a defender unless you want to get your WR lit up. If you want to throw that pass to MM, you throw it low. The chance for YAK is limited, but the receiver is protected.

A qb making his first start threw to a second year receiver. Those two are as much to blame for the hit, if not more, than Harrison.

The Man of Steel
10-20-2010, 05:53 PM
You can certainly tell by his whining that James Harrison grew up as a Browns fan up there in Akron. I guess old habits can be hard to break sometimes.

winwithd
10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
The NFL is all for parity these days. I think the excessive fining of Steelers is an attempt to hold them back to make them more on the level of the other teams. If we see suspensions handed out my guess is they are more likely to be on Steelers in order to 'in Roger Goodell's eyes' level the playing field. He took Ben away and we still won. Now he is going after the defense because they hit too hard. The suspensions for off the field conduct are far to subjective and so are these fines. The suspensions will be too.

Maybe if someone can get Peyton to make a mockery of it they will repent.

Roger is trying so hard to put his mark on the game that he is going to ruin it yet.

stlrz d
10-20-2010, 10:37 PM
In a show of solidarity today the entire defense refused to speak to the media.

Djfan
10-21-2010, 01:51 AM

Link?

stlrz d
10-21-2010, 08:05 AM

Link?

No links. It was tweeted yesterday by several Steelers beat reporters.