PDA

View Full Version : Reporter Drama

costanza2k1
10-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Scuffle between Wexell, Madden draws Tomlin's attention
User Rating: / 12
PoorBest
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2010 03:00 PM WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK
A mini-scuffle between media members after the Steelers game Sunday got the attention of coach Mike Tomlin, who wondered aloud, in a joking fashion, if the two people in question were in violation of a ''personal-conduct policy.''

Tomlin was talking about two old antagonists, Jim Wexell and Mark Madden.

According to sources, as media members were leaving the Tomlin post-game news conference and heading toward the Steelers locker room, Wexell, a regular on the Steelers beat, shoved Madden, who rarely makes an appearance during the week or at games.

The shove was hard enough to knock Madden, who weighs more than 300 pounds, off-balance and toward one of the children of assistant coach Harold Goodwin.

Goodwin, according to someone at the scene, became furious with Wexell.

``The boy wasn't hurt, wasn't hit, but I intend to apologize to Coach Goodwin for the possibility that he would be,'' Wexell said in an e-mail. ``I was stupid.''

Explaining his actions, Wexell wrote, ``He [Madden] purposely walked in front of me to glad-hand with another reporter he'd seen all day in the press box. I shoved him and he began screaming, going through everything he said 10 years ago''

In an earlier versiion of this story, it was written that Wexell called Madden a name. Wexell has denied that. ``Never said anything,'' he wrote.

In 2002, Wexell was fired from a part-time job at ESPN Radio 1250 when he refused to apologize for on-air comments he made about Madden.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other/20020108weae0108p4.asp

At the time, Chuck Finder, who covered the media for the Post-Gazette, wrote, ``I wasn't going to apologize because it was the truth," said Wexell, who challenged the talk-show host for comments Madden made in his Saturday Post-Gazette column about old rumors of homosexuality surrounding Kordell Stewart. ``That's what got me, the sheer audacity he displayed in writing that column ... trying to make himself look good.''

Wexell is a free-lance reporter who concentrates on the Steelers. He has written several books on the team, appears on Fox Sports Radio 970 and is considered to be very knowledgeable about the team and the NFL. Madden now works over WXDX-FM, where he has a popular afternoon talk show from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

It was previously reported here that Madden complained to his superiors at Clear Channel, which owns WXDX and Fox Sports Radio 970 and that Wexell was summoned to a meeting. That is incorrect. There was no meeting.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... ia-scuffle (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/25700-madden-wexell-in-media-scuffle)

I thought this was funny...Wex getting all riled up...

Crash
10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Wex should have been arrested and then later fired.

He obviously has anger issues, this is just another example of it.

feltdizz
10-19-2010, 07:04 PM

arrested for a shove?

Crash
10-19-2010, 07:42 PM

arrested for a shove?

From behind? With a guy who has a history of heart trouble? You're damn right he should be fired. What if Madden fell and something triggered with his heart? Then what? Wex would be responsible for it, no?

That's assault. Period.

Shawn
10-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I like Wex and I think he is a terrific reporter. But, it was certainly unprofessional. If Madden wanted to "glad-hand" to irritate let him. Seriously, is it worth a physical confrontation? And as Crash stated, it is indeed illegal.

Chadman
10-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Illegal hands to the back....10 yard penalty- 1st down!

proudpittsburgher
10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I like Wex and I think he is a terrific reporter. But, it was certainly unprofessional. If Madden wanted to "glad-hand" to irritate let him. Seriously, is it worth a physical confrontation? And as Crash stated, it is indeed illegal.

Oh give. me. a. break. Mark Madden has never been, and will never be professional. Why treat him with any professionalism? I wished that wex landed a right cross on the jagoff.

Herewegosteelers!
10-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Oh give. me. a. break. Mark Madden has never been, and will never be professional. Why treat him with any professionalism? I wished that wex landed a right cross on the jagoff.
:Agree

Shawn
10-19-2010, 10:08 PM

So, as a society would should condone laying hands on everyone that irritates us? I would have to disagree. I would guess that Wexell would have handled it differently if he had a chance to take it back.

Captain Lemming
10-19-2010, 10:48 PM
So, as a society would should condone laying hands on everyone that irritates us?

No not "everyone"......just Madden. :)
Oh wait a kid could have been hurt......nevermind I am wrong and embarrassed by my lack of compassion. :oops: .

Wexell was absolutely wrong for what he did.......within range of an poor innocent child who would have been killed had Madden landed on him. :lol:

Crash
10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
And Wex had the nerve to judge Ben? Like I said before if I were Madden I would have pressed charges. Hot heads like Wexell need to be put in their place.

Captain Lemming
10-19-2010, 11:19 PM
And Wex had the nerve to judge Ben? Like I said before if I were Madden I would have pressed charges. Hot heads like Wexell need to be put in their place.

Seriously dude, I'm starting to wonder if you and him are the same guy sometimes. Your opinions are the same you always got his back.

Wait.....can it be.....is he Big Nasty?????

feltdizz
10-19-2010, 11:24 PM

I'm not saying it's right..... but arrested over a shove?

This board has gone downhill... :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chadman
10-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Blame Goodell...

Captain Lemming
10-19-2010, 11:38 PM

HE COULD HAD KILLED THE KID.

Imagine what 300 pounds of pure lard would have done to that child. Even now think of the terror he has with nightmares reliving the event with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder:

A: Exposure to a traumatic event
This must have involved both (a) loss of "physical integrity", or risk of serious injury or death, to self or others, and (b) an intense negative emotional response. (The DSM-IV-TR criterion differs substantially from the previous DSM-III-R stressor criterion, which specified the traumatic event should be of a type that would cause "significant symptoms of distress in almost anyone," and that the event was "outside the range of usual human experience."[56])

B: Persistent re-experiencing
One or more of these must be present in the victim: flashback memories, recurring distressing dreams, subjective re-experiencing of the traumatic event(s), or intense negative psychological or physiological response to any objective or subjective reminder of the traumatic event(s).

Wexell should be locked up for life for such wreckless behavior!!!!!

And YOU SIR should be ashamed for making light of what will no doubt torment this poor child as long as he lives!!!!!

Crash
10-19-2010, 11:41 PM

With Madden's history of heart problems? What if something triggered? What if he fell and banged his head? Then what?

Wex obviously has issues. He's been wanting to "confront" Madden for years at various events in Pittsburgh. He needs to be reigned in before he hurts someone.

Chadman
10-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Idiots- the whole bloody lot of them.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM

With Madden's history of heart problems? What if something triggered? What if he fell and banged his head? Then what?

Wex obviously has issues. He's been wanting to "confront" Madden for years at various events in Pittsburgh. He needs to be reigned in before he hurts someone.

Then he is arrested. What if you cut someone off on the highway and they crash?
what if... we can always say what if... but what did happen sounded juvenile not Pittsburgh Law & Order SVU.

Tomlinator
10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Will the NFL be selling prints of the incident for $54 a pop?

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 01:23 PM

"If" something happened to Madden's heart, it would be 99.99999% because Madden sits on his fat @$$ all day eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts by the dozen and 0.00001% because of anything Wexell did.

flippy
10-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Wex sounds like a bigger douche than Madden.

He should get a $75K fine a la Harrison for hitting a defenseless reporter.