PDA

View Full Version : Harrison fined $75,000

NKySteeler
10-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Just reported by Chris Mortensen on ESPN that Harrison received a $75,000 fine as a repeat offender for the Cleveland game....

... I haven't seen it in actual print, though...

papillon
10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Just reported by Chris Mortensen on ESPN that Harrison received a $75,000 fine as a repeat offender for the Cleveland game....

Ouch, for which hit? Cribbs or Mossaqui or both

Pappy

Snatch98
10-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Schefter reporting the same via twitter. 50k to both Robinson and Merriweather.

NKySteeler
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Pappy

He didn't specify....

"Three players fined for helmet-to-helmet hits

The NFL fined Steelers LB James Harrison $75K, Patriots S Brandon Meriweather and Falcons CB Dunta Robinson $50K."

LordVile
10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
the NFL and any idiot, with 1/2 a brain knew that hits to the head give long term damage. but they didn't care until ppl starting fussing about it and now they act like they care by fining players. Wack.. :roll:

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Pappy

sounds like for both hits...

per ESPN NFL - "Steelers LB James Harrison fined $75K for 2 flagrant hits Sunday vs. Browns, but was not suspended"

Mister Pittsburgh
10-19-2010, 04:59 PM

Pappy

per ESPN NFL - "Steelers LB James Harrison fined $75K for 2 flagrant hits Sunday vs. Browns, but was not suspended"

so the officials say they review the cribbs hit and it was legal.....but then he gets fined for it? the NFL sucks.

eniparadoxgma
10-19-2010, 05:05 PM
so the officials say they review the cribbs hit and it was legal.....but then he gets fined for it? the NFL sucks.

I agree. They'll also put all of those hits into some kind of "JACKED UP" ESPN show later in the year. Hypocrites.

StarSpangledSteeler
10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Apparently the league did not feel that Massaquoi ducked his head into a legal hit aimed at his chest. But Stlrz pronounced it legal so we should win that appeal.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
At least he wasn't suspended.

I hope Rooney appeals, at least the Cribbs hit. If there are fines upheld for legal hits, the game is essentially over.

If there was a helmet-to-helmet on the receiver, or forearm to the head/neck, I have no problem with a fine for that one.

Oviedo
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Pappy

Be cause he is a Steeler and didn't say politically correct things after the game. The Meriwaether hit was the worst of the bunch and he gets $50K.

Oh forgot that Goodell is Kraft's puppet

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Pappy

Be cause he is a Steeler and didn't say politically correct things after the game. The Meriwaether hit was the worst of the bunch and he gets $50K.

Oh forgot that Goodell is Kraft's pickle puppet

Fixed that for you!

Flasteel
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM
What a bunch of reactionary pansies...they should all be given printed man-cards that are marked with a giant red "REVOKED" stamp.

Flasteel
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't you know it...

As soon as I conducted an internet search, the "REVOKED" man-card is already out there.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/dfwgator/ManCardRevoked.jpg

Who wants to retrieve the email addresses of those responsible? :lol:

anger 82&95
10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
It should make for an interesting practice session. I can just imagine LeBeauís inspirational speech: ďAlright boys! This is a big game so be cautious, timid and tentative! If you get the opportunity, hit em softly where they canít feel it! And donít forget that since it comes done to semantics and subjective judgment by the refs; be as happy and gay as possible!

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Per the NFL Network the fine is for the hit on Mossaqui not Cribbs

AkronSteel
10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Whatever makes Goodell sleep better at night, I guess??? :Blah

This league is turning into a bunch of pansies!!! So basically what they are saying is that Harrison's hit on MM was worse than the hit by Merriweather, because the Cribbs hit was deemed legal on Sunday!! What a bunch of crap!!! It's football man, it's football!! I understand protecting guys in certain situations but this league is going to turn into a non-hitting, all offense league!!!

This is why the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowls, because they hit harder and play harder than anyone else!!! I hope the next time we play the Browns, James knocks 3 bad word players out!! Heck let's go with 4....that's what football is all about!! That's why WR's are supposed to be scared to go over the middle and the league is going to take that element out of the game........Stupid, plain stupid!!!

:HeadBanger

eniparadoxgma
10-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Other than his non-PC comments why in the hell would he get fined more for that hit than the one on Heap? Makes absolutely no sense.

NKySteeler
10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
NFL fines Steelers' Harrison $75,000; Harrison: 'It was a legal hit'
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://i52.tinypic.com/rs7ozo.jpg

Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been fined $75,000 by the NFL for his helmet-leading hit that caused Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi to receive a concussion. Harrison was not suspended.

Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs also sustained a concussion on a helmet-first hit by Harrison on a running play a few minutes before the Massaquoi hit. The Cribbs tackle was not reviewed by the NFL.

"It was a legal hit," Harrison maintained in an interview today with the Post-Gazette, before the fine was levied by the NFL, as did Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

"All you have to do is look at the tape," Harrison said.

He said he was not aiming for Massaquoi's head and actually tried to pull off of him. He believes he's being targeted because of media opinion against him.

"If I get fined it's because anybody out there who has a camera in their face or a pen in their hand is writing their opinion and it's all the same. I just happened to be one of the bigger names who hit somebody last weekend."

The fine came as the league announced it would begin suspending players for dangerous and flagrant hits. Harrison was not penalized on the play.

A handful of blows to the head in Sunday's NFL games has prompted league officials to react, promising a crackdown with fines and/or suspensions for such hits. Harrison even cited the hit by Patriots defensive back Brandon Meriweather on Baltimore tight end Todd Heap as "a nasty hit."

"My hit was nowhere near the magnitude of that," Harrison said. "That was a nasty hit."

Meriweather was fined $50,000 by the league.

Harrison, a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker and the NFL defensive player of the year in 2008, said defenders like him can't win no matter where they hit a ballcarrier. Hit him high, the league wants to fine them; hit them low, and the offensive player risks a knee injury.

Such was the case in the 2009 season opener at Heinz Field when Harrison hit Tennessee tight end Bo Scaife so hard in the left leg that Scaife not only fumbled, but he did not return to the game. Scaife called the hit a "cheap shot." Titans coach Jeff Fisher, co-chair of the NFL competition committee that helps shape the rules, firmly said it was not an illegal hit.

"I hit him low and he ended up injuring his knee and was out for a number of games,'' Harrison said Tuesday. "I guess I'll end up having to take the fine and save someone's career."

Despite Scaife's outcry, Harrison said NFL players would prefer to be hit high than low and risk a knee injury.

"Ask any player in the NFL, they'd say that's dirty," Harrison said of a knee shot. "But the NFL says that's a legal play, but you can end his year if not his career. But if you hit him up high and give him a concussion or whatever, they fine you for it. Now you have to start hitting guys low, and what then?

"We've had enough rules on how to tackle a quarterback, now we have to worry about what a guy does at the last second. If he puts himself in harms way, now it's our fault."

Harrison said it's a frustrating dilemma for all defensive players.

"You can't go out and play like it's flag football," Harrison said. "If that's what they want to do, let's put flags on everyone. "It's a physical contact sport; some things are going to happen. You have to evaluate things and see it for what it is and not go on the reaction of people who can't see what they're really looking at."

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, calls the fine "staggering" and said it will be appealed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10292/1096447-100.stm

eniparadoxgma
10-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Great article, NKy.

"You can't go out and play like it's flag football," Harrison said. "If that's what they want to do, let's put flags on everyone. "It's a physical contact sport; some things are going to happen. You have to evaluate things and see it for what it is and not go on the reaction of people who can't see what they're really looking at."

:Agree :Agree :Agree

focosteeler
10-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Other than his non-PC comments why in the hell would he get fined more for that hit than the one on Heap? Makes absolutely no sense.

i heard he was fined more because he is considered a "repeat offender"

skyhawk
10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
So what exactly is a "flagrant" hit now?

Is this a new term for the NFL?

Total garbage.

Jooser
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Great article, NKy.

:Agree :Agree :Agree

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/This****.jpg

It's a product of American life people. We live in the day and age of "sue everyone", and the NFL is simply trying cover it's a$$ from future lawsuits. It doesn't matter that these men make the decision to suit up and play this violent 'collision' sport. When they're drooling all over themselves in 15 years they'll blame the NFL. :Blah

eniparadoxgma
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM

i heard he was fined more because he is considered a "repeat offender"

One roughing the QB 5000 dollar fine and now he's a "repeat offender"? What a bunch of crap. Where's Lambert when you need 'em? WWJLD?!?!?

papillon
10-19-2010, 06:21 PM
The elimination of the zone defense is next. Book it and remember where you heard it first. WRs won't have to fear coming out the back side of a zone, because the NFL is going to eliminate it sooner than later.

Pappy

Dee Dub
10-19-2010, 07:32 PM

I agree. They'll also put all of those hits into some kind of "JACKED UP" ESPN show later in the year. Hypocrites.

Well...last night on Monday Night Football (ESPN), ran clips of Chuck Cecil blowing people up back in the day. He was praised for his violent hits.

Bunch of hypocrites. And Teddy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison are the biggest. They made a living hitting in a way to hurt and intimidate opposing players. Now they are all against it. :moon

SteelCrazy
10-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Total garbage.

Here is Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (unnecessary roughness) in the NFL rulebook as it pertains to wide receivers:

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver's head or neck area -- even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.

skyhawk
10-19-2010, 08:14 PM

Total garbage.

Here is Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (unnecessary roughness) in the NFL rulebook as it pertains to wide receivers:

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver's head or neck area -- even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.

In THAT case, fine ALL NFL players right now.

SteelCrazy
10-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Total garbage.

In THAT case, fine ALL NFL players right now.

The last part of this rule is complete BS! Like James said, you might as well put flags on them

DukieBoy
10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Massaquoi went low on Harrison, Harrison didn't go high on him. Seemed to me that his knees buckled when he saw he was gonna be tackled by James.

So, when will the NFL start to fine the OT's who go high on Harrison and clothesline him until his neck is wrenched like Linda Blair in the Exorcist?

C'mon Man!

stlrz d
10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Massaquoi went low on Harrison, Harrison didn't go high on him. Seemed to me that his knees buckled when he saw he was gonna be tackled by James.

So, when will the NFL start to fine the OT's who go high on Harrison and clothesline him until his neck is wrenched like Linda Blair in the Exorcist?

C'mon Man!

Oh gosh no...that's not what happened at all! :roll:

Btw, Harrison is appealing the fine.

http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison ... 70611.html (http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.Fine.2.1970611.html)

And MM's agent is crying that Harrison wasn't punished severely enough.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mas ... nough.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Massaquois-agent-NFL-didnt-punish-James-Harrison-enough.html)

DukieBoy
10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
$75K .... this is gonna raise the amount of the bounties the ratbirds put up against Hines.

Sugar
10-19-2010, 08:46 PM
I hope that Deebo can be successful with his appeal. This is not just for him, but for the game itself.

skyhawk
10-19-2010, 08:56 PM

C'mon Man!

Oh gosh no...that's not what happened at all! :roll:

Btw, Harrison is appealing the fine.

http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison ... 70611.html (http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.Fine.2.1970611.html)

And MM's agent is crying that Harrison wasn't punished severely enough.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mas ... nough.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Massaquois-agent-NFL-didnt-punish-James-Harrison-enough.html)

He will flat out LOSE his appeal against the juggernaut and media whore NFL.

grotonsteel
10-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Mofo Goodell...Screw him....Mr Goodell when are you officially changing the name of NFL to NFFL (National Flag Football League)...

Also if you wanna fine players why the hell Merriweather is fined only 50K??? Again protecting a Cheatroit player I see....

Hopefully Harrison brings pain to Goodell's toy boy Brady....

Mr Rooney..enough is enough...you need to raise a voice against this stupidity....