PDA

View Full Version : TV Officials Ask Coaches to Call Timeouts For More Commercia

grotonsteel
10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
WTH.... :HeadBanger

How can TV officials have contact with coaches during the game???

http://sportsrageous.com/news.php?readmore=3386

Business Insider reports that officials are now asking NFL coaches to use up all of their timeouts so that the networks can get in as much commercial time as possible.

Tennessee’s coach, Jeff Fisher, let that request slip during the Monday Night Football game this week in postgame interviews. Fisher’s team was leading the game 20 points, so he declined the request, in hopes of running the clock as much as possible to end the game in their favor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-del-rio/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/)

One of the biggest reasons why a weak Monday Night Football game can out-rate game three of the ALCS in New York: Fantasy football.

While Cliff Lee was dealing, fantasy owners across the country were hoping to squeeze a few more points out of Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew. Johnson's owners prayers were answered when Johnson broke free for a 35-yard touchdown on fourth down with under two minutes remaining.

That led to some (silly) questions about why Johnson was still in the game. Why were the Titans still trying to score?

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Of course, you can also thank Del Rio for actually listening. Fisher was happy to end the game at 23-3, but Del Rio didn't let him.

"It's the first time I've heard of it," Fisher said about a network request for timeouts. "I just said I would have a hard time using them, because I'm ahead. Honestly, I have no issues with Jack or how he managed the end of that game. It's just what it was, and I don't think he would have an issue with me handing the ball off."

In addition, he said that was the first time he had ever been asked to do that by TV officials.

On the other hand, his opponent’s coach, Jack del Rio of the Jaguars, used his timeouts, stalling the game that they would eventually lose.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
We already have to sit through ENOUGH friggin' commercials during a football game. Next they'll be adding a couple more timeouts per half for each team--and MANDATING that they use them.

Add this to the dictated pussification of the league, and the extra two games...I'm convinced they're trying to turn the NFL into the dang MLB.

Crash
10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
So using needless timeouts in blowouts means more plays and more chances for injury?

Yeah, they care about the players so much don't they?

Goodell is ruining the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
No commercial breaks = the only advantage futbal has over football.

aggiebones
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Why did a meaningless football game outrate a baseball playoff?

Cause baseball is fecking boring to watch in slow motion which is the way they've turned the league. HRs are frankly lame and boring. Move in the fences to create fake HRs that should be pop ups. Are the fans that stupid? I'm not and haven't watched baseball in years. I'm only 41. The triple is a beautiful thing. Popfly HRs are not.

Likewise. If football doesn't take care of its entity, it will fallow the same fate. I can barely watch football live on TV anymore. I normally tape it and begin watching about 20 minutes late. I'll normally catch up around the 3rd quarter. When I do have to watch it live, its painful as it is. If they start dragging out games for commercials because the manager of the night has botched his ads, then I'm going to get outraged.

Maybe its time we all go back and just watch HS football like in the old days. The games not as clean, but the players try hard and there's no interruptions.
Rant over..for now.

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2010, 05:02 PM
No commercial breaks = the only advantage futbal has over football.

it's actually futbol, and there is a reason why it's the world's most popular sport you ugly American... :lol:

feltdizz
10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Why did a meaningless football game outrate a baseball playoff?

Cause baseball is fecking boring to watch in slow motion which is the way they've turned the league. HRs are frankly lame and boring. Move in the fences to create fake HRs that should be pop ups. Are the fans that stupid? I'm not and haven't watched baseball in years. I'm only 41. The triple is a beautiful thing. Popfly HRs are not.

Likewise. If football doesn't take care of its entity, it will fallow the same fate. I can barely watch football live on TV anymore. I normally tape it and begin watching about 20 minutes late. I'll normally catch up around the 3rd quarter. When I do have to watch it live, its painful as it is. If they start dragging out games for commercials because the manager of the night has botched his ads, then I'm going to get outraged.

Maybe its time we all go back and just watch HS football like in the old days. The games not as clean, but the players try hard and there's no interruptions.
Rant over..for now.

If the HS teams in your area are ranked nationally or have a 5 star recruit the chances of ESPN showing up are high...LOL

stlrz d
10-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Thi$ i$ what i$ important to commi$$ioner fraudell.