PDA

View Full Version : IF James Harrison gets suspended, who takes his place?

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2010, 01:49 AM
IF James Harrison gets suspended by the NFL, who takes his place?

does Lawrence Timmons move outside and Larry Foote or Keyaron Fox play inside? does it really make sense to move Timmons who is playing so well on the inside? but if we don't, we would be forced to start one of our rookie LBs on the outside and we all know how the Steelers don't like to do that...

phillyesq
10-19-2010, 10:33 AM

does Lawrence Timmons move outside and Larry Foote or Keyaron Fox play inside? does it really make sense to move Timmons who is playing so well on the inside? but if we don't, we would be forced to start one of our rookie LBs on the outside and we all know how the Steelers don't like to do that...

Moving Timmons was the original plan, and adding Foote or Fox probably keeps the best 4 linebackers on the field, but I'm not sure that I'd like the move, since it would change two positions, rather than one.

Miami is a run heavy team that also depends a lot on Bess, a slot WR. I'd like to keep Timmons where he is, rather than have him locked up tangling with Jake Long all day. On the other hand, I'm not sure that an assignment against Jake Long is the ideal way for Worilds to make his first NFL start.

SidSmythe
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
the NFL has announced that they will allow 2 players to suit up to take his place, just to be fair

RuthlessBurgher
10-19-2010, 01:45 PM
the NFL has announced that they will allow 2 players to suit up to take his place, just to be fair

Will the opposing o-linemen be allowed to hold both of them every play without any flags?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Will the opposing o-linemen be allowed to hold both of them every play without any flags?

One for each hand.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Moving Timmons was the original plan, and adding Foote or Fox probably keeps the best 4 linebackers on the field, but I'm not sure that I'd like the move, since it would change two positions, rather than one.

Miami is a run heavy team that also depends a lot on Bess, a slot WR. I'd like to keep Timmons where he is, rather than have him locked up tangling with Jake Long all day. On the other hand, I'm not sure that an assignment against Jake Long is the ideal way for Worilds to make his first NFL start.
I think you are correct. That was the initial plan but Timmons play in the middle might make moving him outside counter productive. Instead of mixing it all up I think they start Worilds in place of Harrison. Activate Gibson gameday and after the coin toss, give a big :moon to Roger.

papillon
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM

I think you are correct. That was the initial plan but Timmons play in the middle might make moving him outside counter productive. Instead of mixing it all up I think they start Worilds in place of Harrison. Activate Gibson gameday and after the coin toss, give a big :moon to Roger.

I like this plan, because it doesn't make two positions weaker to cover one problem. The :moon to Goodell made me ROTFLMAO.

Pappy

Snatch98
10-19-2010, 03:29 PM
The rule was put in to place today. They aren't going to suspend him. He may get fined but he won't be suspended. I saw no problem with either hit but this is exactly the kind of thing the media goes nuts over so they'll be talking about this all week. I still can't believe that put the rule in at all. It's pretty sad.

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Updated: October 19, 2010, 2:47 PM ET

Tomlin defends James Harrison's hit

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin favors the NFL's stricter enforcement of helmet hits. But he still insists linebacker James Harrison's violent hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi was within the rules.

The NFL is reviewing whether Harrison's concussion-causing hit on Massaquoi warrants a fine or suspension. The league said Tuesday it will immediately begin suspending players for dangerous and flagrant hits, particularly those involving helmets.

Harrison sidelined Browns receivers Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs with concussions on separate hits about seven minutes apart in the second quarter of the Steelers' 28-10 victory Sunday. Harrison lowered his head and slammed helmet-first into the left side of Cribbs' helmet, but the NFL deemed the hit legal because Cribbs was a runner.

Despite the Steelers' reputation for being one of the league's most physical and intimidating teams, Tomlin said Tuesday he favors whatever the NFL deems necessary to make the game safer.

"I'm all for player safety. I think it is the proper initiative that the NFL has," he said. "I think we need to safeguard the men that play this game to the best of our abilities and make it as safe as we can. I'm a proponent of player safety and whatever rule or rule adjustments we need to make to make it safer."

One way to eliminate some of the helmet hits, he said, is to further emphasize a lowering of the strike zone -- the area where players are tackled.

"Helmet-to-helmet contact is going to occur from time to time in football," Tomlin said. "Things happen fast, these are big, moving people. I think the issue is here that we coach a lowering of the target, to reduce the number of those opportunities and to talk about flagrant or egregious approaches."

Tomlin didn't speculate whether Harrison might be fined or suspended. He stood by his postgame comments Sunday, when he said that neither hit was worthy of punishment.

Still, Tomlin said he supports whatever punitive action the league takes against any player it deems as violating the stricter rules.

"I am a proponent of levying whatever kind of punishment the NFL office deems necessary for those that are repeat offenders or those that are flagrant, and those that are egregious hits," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5703636

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-19-2010, 04:31 PM
The rule was put in to place today. They aren't going to suspend him. He may get fined but he won't be suspended. I saw no problem with either hit but this is exactly the kind of thing the media goes nuts over so they'll be talking about this all week. I still can't believe that put the rule in at all. It's pretty sad.
That's good news. Like I said, the hit on Cribbs shouldn't and wouldn't even be an issue if he wasn't knocked out. The other, by rule, should have been a penalty. I'm old school, so after I saw he walked off the field...I was ok with it. I would have even been ok if he got flagged...Still gets the point across. But that hit, if anything, by rule should be a fine and NO suspension.

papillon
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
That's good news. Like I said, the hit on Cribbs shouldn't and wouldn't even be an issue if he wasn't knocked out. The other, by rule, should have been a penalty. I'm old school, so after I saw he walked off the field...I was ok with it. I would have even been ok if he got flagged...Still gets the point across. But that hit, if anything, by rule should be a fine and NO suspension.

In both instances JPN Silverback had opportunity to provide text book tackling and deliver a big hit at the same time. I wish he had, both looked as if he were head hunting to me. In slow motion each is clearly not illegal, IMO, but at full speed it appeared that Silverback was head hunting.

I understand on the Cribbs hit that Cribbs was already wrapped up and Silverback was trying to cause a fumble, but it looks to me that he could have gave him a good shot and wrapped him up at the same time.

Pappy

Sugar
10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm glad to see Tomlin standing up for Harrison. He's saying the right things about player safety, but also standing by the fact that BOTH of the hits in question were clean and not fineable. I think it's important for him to get his $.02 now because after a ruling is made he'll have to join the get-along gang.

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm glad to see Tomlin standing up for Harrison. He's saying the right things about player safety, but also standing by the fact that BOTH of the hits in question were clean and not fineable.

well, according to Roger God-ell both hits were fineable...

per ESPN NFL - "Steelers LB James Harrison fined $75K for 2 flagrant hits Sunday vs. Browns, but was not suspended"

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Tomlin expects Harrison back tomorrow

Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/10/national-football-league-2010-season-week-6-james-harrison-mohamed-massaquoi-nfl-1011-wk6-00264lg-thumb-250x187-22748.jpg

Coach Mike Tomlin said this afternoon he expects James Harrison to return to practice on Thursday and to play for the Steelers Sunday in Miami.

Harrison and his agent, in several interviews, said the linebacker was considering retiring after he was fined $75,000 by the NFL for what it ruled an illegal hit in Sunday's game against Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Tomlin, who still insisted today that hit was legal, talked this morning with Harrison, who then left the building.

"He didn't go home," Tomlin said. "I asked him to ... I'm sure he'll be back in the building tomorrow."

Tomlin said that the past few days have been a "very emotional thing for James and that it bothers the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker to be perceived as a dirty player.

inebacker James Farrior, the Steelers' defensive captain, also said he expects Harrison to return to work Thursday.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, confirmed that the linebacker is contemplating retirement, which is why he met with Tomlin this morning.

"That's exactly true," Parise said. "He met with the coach and left for today. He's in the process of contemplating is it possible to play football under these new rules ... 'if I go to work and tackle somebody and get a fine.'"

Parise said there is "no fighting, no arguing," just discussions. He said Harrison has been talking with his coaches, the Steelers, his mother and the agent.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.2 million contract in April 2009 that included a reported $20 million in bonuses. If Harrison would retire before the contract expires, the Steelers could demand he pay back some of those bonuses.

For more on the Harrison and the fine, read the blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at http://www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293...#ixzz12w7hNypk

Oviedo
10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm glad to see Tomlin standing up for Harrison. He's saying the right things about player safety, but also standing by the fact that BOTH of the hits in question were clean and not fineable. I think it's important for him to get his $.02 now because after a ruling is made he'll have to join the get-along gang.

I want to hear Art II standing up for his players and not playing Goodell's patsie like he did with Ben.