PDA

View Full Version : The NFL is changing right before our eyes...

Dee Dub
10-18-2010, 01:55 PM
“Several shots in Pittsburgh, two vicious ones by James Harrison of the Steelers; his helmet-to-helmet shot against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi will certainly draw a heavy fine, and it's incredible to me no official flagged what could be the textbook definition of hitting a defenseless receiver.”

“So many thoughts. One: It's time to start ejecting and suspending players for flagrant hits, which I thought the Meriweather one was, and perhaps also the shot of Harrison on Massaquoi. Two: the league had better train its officials better considering there was no penalty on the Harrison hit on Massaquoi. The league had as a point of emphasis to officials this year that launching into a defenseless receiver would be a penalty and subject to discipline. So emphasize it. “

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/17/mmqb/index.html)

I know there is a thread started about Harrison's hits Sundays but I think this deserves its own thread.

You can bank on James being fined or suspended for his hits on Sunday. Maybe both. And I think this is a shame. There was nothing wrong with Harrison’s approach in either of those two hits. It inst his fault that the offensive player moved after he made his lunge towards them. Had that not happened we are talking about a text book hit on both occasions. But this league is changing and it is getting pathetic. The league is moving towards a point where defenses cant’ being aggressive and go on the attack. Where will this overly cautious trend end? A player is flagged for a horse-collar if he puts his hand on the back of a players shoulders even if he doesn’t use it to pull the player down. A flag is thrown for an overly hard hit on a receiver going over the middle because he is deemed defenseless. Yet in reality any receiver who is looking at the path of the ball in his attempt to catch it, is defenseless. Hits on a QB can only be in certain area of his body ( a very small area—waist to his shoulders). Otherwise it is called roughing the passer. Defensive players aren’t allowed to touch a receiver after 5 yard s yet every week, in every game, numerous times the offensive receiver is allowed to push off. And in many cases it can affect the outcome of a game. See the Kansas City game. This is ridiculous. It is getting to a point where this product on the field isn’t worth watching. And it is only going to get worse. Watch.

brothervad
10-18-2010, 02:11 PM
It's too bad...the NFL is becoming a pinball game for the common idiot. Lot's of offense and scoring (ding, ding, ding)...ooo look at the pretty lights.

Can someone tell me how you are going to prevent human behavior in the game. James committed to his hit on Cribbs...he lined his shot at the time to hit Cribbs shoulder. Cribbs course altered while Harrison was in mid-air. This all happened in less than a second.

Too many helmet to helmets also occur because the natural human reaction to collision is to brace for the impact. Which means crouching into crash positions...again once the player has committed to the tackle he is basing his tackle on the current physical posture of the player. He is not accounting for the player's bracing for impact.

You want to reduce these types of hits...I got an easy solution for it. stop the 5 yard chuck rule. Start giving the secondary a fighting chance...but the NFL won't do that because lo and behold we would rid ourselves of the pinball lights and bells.

I mean once you prevent a defense from being able to leave it's feet to tackle what fighting chance will they have? Get ready for 2500 yd rushing seasons and 6,000 yard passing.

I hate the 24x7 sports media coverage...it has destroyed what was once a great game....IMO.

brothervad

Dee Dub
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
NFL might start suspending for violent hits

p://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699517

Wow!! I thought this was a violent game???

Mister Pittsburgh
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
I asked this question in the other Harrison thread......when will the NFL start suspending or penalizing offensive players for lowering their head when they see contact is coming? Does the offensive player have no responsibility for their own well being? If you lower your head before impact, you are just as responsible as the defensive player.

proudpittsburgher
10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
NFL might start suspending for violent hits

p://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699517

Wow!! I thought this was a violent game???

They will make the change next year, i guess. Let them get one more "Best NFL hits of 2010" video out before they start suspending.

Dee Dub
10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
I asked this question in the other Harrison thread......when will the NFL start suspending or penalizing offensive players for lowering their head when they see contact is coming? Does the offensive player have no responsibility for their own well being? If you lower your head before impact, you are just as responsible as the defensive player.

Good point.

spyboots
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
They'll do anything to try to minimize the strength of the Steelers' defense, just like they did with the "Mel Bount" rule.

stlrz d
10-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Effective immediately they will suspend players for "devastating" hits.

What a fscking joke. Roger Goodell is ruining this game.

stlrz d
10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Even Trent Dilfer says what took place this weekend was just guys playing football and that trying to legislate this is ridiculous.

Shoe
10-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Effective immediately they will suspend players for "devastating" hits.

What a fscking joke. Roger Goodell is ruining this game.

Well if that's what they want, then I guess they should fine/suspend Harrison. To any fan who has watched football all these years (>2000's), they were obviously good, solid CLEAN shots. But whatever... if that's what the NFL wants, then Harrison will probably get suspended. And people will just have to deal with it.

Chadman
10-19-2010, 12:19 AM
On the positive side, Ben should never get hurt again.... :stirpot

ramblinjim
10-19-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm all for protecting the men that play my favorite sport but who in hades is going to be the judge of a "devastating hit"?

Perhaps there should be a three judge panel consisting of two offensive players and one defensive player. My vote: Steve Young, Mike Ditka and Dick Butkus. Every three years or so it gets shifted around. Next up: Hines Ward, Moose Johnson and Jack Lambert.

The panel has to vote unanimously to suspend, 2-1 to fine.

:tt2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
My prediction if this comes into effect: A rash of neck injuries for defensive players.

Think about it...or if you are more visual then go stand before a mirror and follow these instructions.

Get into tackling position. Knees bent slightly, bent at the waist slightly leaning forward, arms open.

Now slowly move forward in a way as you would if you were moving in to make a tackle. Where is your head? Well, since you are leaning forward your head is out in front of you.

Now try to remove your head from the tackling area. Yes, that's it, lean back at the neck awkwardly. Now run as hard as you can - not too hard of course because you don't want to cause a devastating hit - into a hard charging, 220 pound moving target.

Congratulations, with your new tackling technique you have probably avoided head to head contact, but at some point you are going to be hit in the head instead of just being run over because of your ridiculous new tackling technique and the momentum of the runner will push your head back. Luckily you were running slower than usual since you wouldn't want to hurt the runner so the result of your injury may only be a broken neck instead of your head actually being snapped off.

Please tell me I'm wrong....that the NFL did not just turn into a non-tackling league.

ikestops85
10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
My prediction if this comes into effect: A rash of neck injuries for defensive players.

Think about it...or if you are more visual then go stand before a mirror and follow these instructions.

Get into tackling position. Knees bent slightly, bent at the waist slightly leaning forward, arms open.

Now slowly move forward in a way as you would if you were moving in to make a tackle. Where is your head? Well, since you are leaning forward your head is out in front of you.

Now try to remove your head from the tackling area. Yes, that's it, lean back at the neck awkwardly. Now run as hard as you can - not too hard of course because you don't want to cause a devastating hit - into a hard charging, 220 pound moving target.

Congratulations, with your new tackling technique you have probably avoided head to head contact, but at some point you are going to be hit in the head instead of just being run over because of your ridiculous new tackling technique and the momentum of the runner will push your head back. Luckily you were running slower than usual since you wouldn't want to hurt the runner so the result of your injury may only be a broken neck instead of your head actually being snapped off.

Please tell me I'm wrong....that the NFL did not just turn into a non-tackling league.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

The best post I have seen on the subject. Great explanation.

grotonsteel
10-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Told ya...this jackar$e goodell is turning NFL into Flag Football League...who the hell is going to watch 65-55 scoring games???

ikestops85
10-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Told ya...this jackar$e goodell is turning NFL into Flag Football League...who the hell is going to watch 65-55 scoring games???

Arena football fans ... all 10 thousand of them. 8)

papillon
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM

I don't know who will watch them, but the NFL has been trying for decades to increase the scoring in the league: legalized holding, Mel Blount rule, no hitting the quarterback too hard, below the waist or above the ribs, no contact after 5 yards, etc, but the defenses continue to confound the NFL by actually playing within the rules and stopping offenses. The NFL figures if great defensive players aren't on the field (via suspension) they can't make plays and scoring will increase.

It's what they want, they could care about the health of the players. They believe that today's 20 somethings want to see scoring like on the video games they play, so they are going to provide scoring in some fashion.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
10-19-2010, 12:52 PM

I don't know who will watch them, but the NFL has been trying for decades to increase the scoring in the league: legalized holding, Mel Blount rule, no hitting the quarterback too hard, below the waist or above the ribs, no contact after 5 yards, etc, but the defenses continue to confound the NFL by actually playing within the rules and stopping offenses. The NFL figures if great defensive players aren't on the field (via suspension) they can't make plays and scoring will increase.

It's what they want, they could care about the health of the players. They believe that today's 20 somethings want to see scoring like on the video games they play, so they are going to provide scoring in some fashion.

Pappy

You dumb it down for the dumb fan, and you are left with a dumb product.....bottom line. The thing that honestly is the worst aspect of well, almost everything these days, is the media. Whatever position the media takes on almost anything is the way it goes. See Ben's predicament this summer as evidence #1. Look at the coverage that fox, espn, etc. has given this weekends good hits and they way they portray those hits and how they word everything and you will see why Goodell and his chronies are going to start suspending any good hit.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Look at the coverage that fox, espn, etc. has given this weekends good hits and they way they portray those hits and how they word everything and you will see why Goodell and his chronies are going to start suspending any good hit.

The worst part is that it takes the spotlight off of the Meriweather hit on Heap. That was the textbook cheap H2H shot. Jackson, Cribbs, and Mass were all very fast football plays in which a defender came in for the hit - did not change direction - and hit the receiver/ball carrier. Unfortunate all of them, but not cheap.

Now look at the following video of the Meriweather hit:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4954 ... ther-cheap (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/495456-wayne-rooney-tim-tebow-brett-favre-and-tuesdays-top-sports-news/entry/20544-brandon-meriweather-todd-heap-was-meriweather-cheap)

Meriweather actually changes direction after the ball is past Heap and launches upwards at his head. Look at the higher up view from behind at around the 1:00 point. Cheap shot, no question about it. Even an idiot Browns fan or NFL head office official knows the difference.....lets just hope that they rule the right way.

skyhawk
10-20-2010, 12:26 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":11th5jje]Look at the coverage that fox, espn, etc. has given this weekends good hits and they way they portray those hits and how they word everything and you will see why Goodell and his chronies are going to start suspending any good hit.

The worst part is that it takes the spotlight off of the Meriweather hit on Heap. That was the textbook cheap H2H shot. Jackson, Cribbs, and Mass were all very fast football plays in which a defender came in for the hit - did not change direction - and hit the receiver/ball carrier. Unfortunate all of them, but not cheap.

Now look at the following video of the Meriweather hit:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4954 ... ther-cheap (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/495456-wayne-rooney-tim-tebow-brett-favre-and-tuesdays-top-sports-news/entry/20544-brandon-meriweather-todd-heap-was-meriweather-cheap)

Meriweather actually changes direction after the ball is past Heap and launches upwards at his head. Look at the higher up view from behind at around the 1:00 point. Cheap shot, no question about it. Even an idiot Browns fan or NFL head office official knows the difference.....lets just hope that they rule the right way.[/quote:11th5jje]

Good point.

Not to mention in the Heap hit, the ball was NO WHERE near the player and was out of play completely.

That is the ONLY bogus hit of the weekend folks!!! :HeadBanger

Leper Friend
10-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Pappy

You dumb it down for the dumb fan, and you are left with a dumb product.....bottom line. The thing that honestly is the worst aspect of well, almost everything these days, is the media. Whatever position the media takes on almost anything is the way it goes. See Ben's predicament this summer as evidence #1. Look at the coverage that fox, espn, etc. has given this weekends good hits and they way they portray those hits and how they word everything and you will see why Goodell and his chronies are going to start suspending any good hit.
Don't forget 18 games. The NFL is all about player safety ! So lets add 2 games. 2 more games of a dumbed down product.There will be lots of TD's though ,just what the mindless idiot fans want.