PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Manny Sanders

flippy
10-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Nice to see a rookie getting looks and coming through on 3rd downs.

It's gonna be hard to keep this kid off the field.

papillon
10-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Nice to see a rookie getting looks and coming through on 3rd downs.

It's gonna be hard to keep this kid off the field.

It's also good to have a quarterback like Ben that will throw you the ball without hesitation if you're open. Many quarterbacks won't look to a rookie to make a play for them.

Pappy

steelblood
10-18-2010, 08:41 AM
He looks great as a receiver. He can replace a lot of what we lost with Santonio. He runs sharp routes and finds holes in zones very well.

Not sure if I like him as a kick returner though. Through the preseason and a couple of regular season games, he hasn't shown much wiggle at all. It would be nice if we could get Brown and Sanders active.

papillon
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
He looks great as a receiver. He can replace a lot of what we lost with Santonio. He runs sharp routes and finds holes in zones very well.

Not sure if I like him as a kick returner though. Through the preseason and a couple of regular season games, he hasn't shown much wiggle at all. It would be nice if we could get Brown and Sanders active.

I'd like to see El find more pine and let some the younguns see the field they all seem to thrive when given the chance to play, regardless of position.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 08:50 AM

I'd like to see El find more pine and let some the younguns see the field they all seem to thrive when given the chance to play, regardless of position.

Pappy

El is not doing it for me on punts... I know we are sacrificing return yards for vet hands but El isn't showing that skill either.

Sanders looked scared on kick returns... I would like to see Brown get a few reps it possible.

El is still a good possession WR and until he drops off in that department I like him in the #3 spot

papillon
10-18-2010, 08:57 AM

Pappy

El is not doing it for me on punts... I know we are sacrificing return yards for vet hands but El isn't showing that skill either.

Sanders looked scared on kick returns... I would like to see Brown get a few reps it possible.

El is still a good possession WR and until he drops off in that department I like him in the #3 spot

I didn't see the game, but listened to it on WDVE's stream. It's impossible to determine by listening if a player looks timid returning punts or not. At this point, with Ben back, I'm fine with the guy that will catch it 100% of the time and not fumble it back to the opponent. Our special teams have made so many gaffes in the past that I still simply hope for a cleanly fielded punt.

Wallace has stepped up, Hines is Hines and Miller is making plays. I'd like to see what the young guys can do in the offense, Brown and Sanders seem better to add YAC than El. I have no problem with El, he's a steady vet at the right price, I'd just like to see the rooks get a little PT.

Pappy

AkronSteel
10-18-2010, 09:43 AM
The move Sanders made on his second reception was a veteran move!! He faked outside and made the DB bite and then took it inside and made a sweet diving catch!! That kid is going to be a player for the team going forward. He and Brown are definitely going to be big contributors going forward. Wallace, Sanders, and Brown are the future at the position for sure!!! Plus who knows....maybe the light will turn on for Sweed during his down time and he will take the time to do plenty of studying and working on his hands???

I like keeping El active on gamedays though, so I think maybe the odd man out should be Battle. The guy is only here for ST purposes and I haven't seen him make a tackle all year long. That doesn't mean that he isn't doing his job but at the same time I believe that Brown on returns would contribute more than Battle on coverage units.....plus Brown hasn't been too bad covering kicks himself. Just a thought???

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Two huge 3rd down conversations for the Sandman. :Beer

I agree with sentiments about dressing both Sanders and Brown. I suggested as much prior to the game, with Battle as the odd man out. I stated then that I think Anthony Madison and Will Allen are sufficient gunners on the punt team.

aggiebones
10-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Pappy

I think you will as the season progresses. You can't really put Brown and Sanders out there with Batch. You need some veterans like El and Battle. One will be gone next year for sure, maybe both. But this year they were important, especially considering Wallace was not a guarantee to fill in well for Holmes though most of us expected him to succeed. There's a progression that is coming. Both Battle and El helped in the 1st 4 games and we couldn't survive any rookie mistakes then.

SidSmythe
10-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Sanders is a poor man's Santonio Holmes.
With the emergence of Mike Wallace as a deep threat, the Holmes loss doesn't sting quite as much. Sanders moves a lot like Holmes and time will tell on his deep threat ability. Personally all he has to do is what he did yesterday and we will be fine in the passing game

AngryAsian
10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Offensively we have weapons in excess. The young receiving corps is awesome (bu-bye Sweed). I'm impressed with the Mendy/Eye-Sac tandem... extremely effective even with 9 stacked in the box. If Heath wasn't such an effective blocker and such a complete TE, he would be the gold standard in pass catching for his position... unfortunately for him his statistical career he was drafted by the Steelers. I'm sure his 2 SB rings keep his perspective very clear. Next up for this offense is one of the more meaner defenses in the league. The line will have all it can handle with Cameron Wake and company.

Slapstick
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I think that Randle El still has value in the passing game...

It seems like he comes up with a play when it's needed...he has enough speed to get a DB to interfere when he blows by him...

hawaiiansteel
10-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Sanders expects to dress in Miami

October 22nd, 2010

And now for some Steelers news/tidbits that doesn’t involve James Harrison:

-- Emmanuel Sanders said he expects to again serve as the Steelers’ No. 4 wide receiver and kickoff returner Sunday against the Dolphins.

Sanders and fellow rookie Antonio Brown have been battling for that role on a weekly basis but Sanders appears to have wrested it from him.

“You’ve got to work for it,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. “He’s earned it.”

-Sanders had two catches for 37 yards in the Steelers’ 28-10 win last Sunday. Both of his receptions resulted in first downs.

-- Defensive linebacker D!ck LeBeau said he is not worried about 2009-first round pick Ziggy Hood.

After playing to rave reviews during training camp and the preseason, Hood has not been much of a factor at defensive end through the first five games of the season.

Hood, who will see extensive action Sunday with Brett Keisel (hamstring) out, has been playing through an ankle injury.

“I think he’s going to be a major contributor for us this year,” LeBeau said, “and I think he’s right on schedule to becoming a real good NFL defensive lineman.”

-- Coach Mike Tomlin talked earlier this week about the interest the Steelers showed in Cameron Wake when the Dolphins outside linebacker was rampaging through the CFL.

But for those imagining how good the defense would be with the player who is tied for the AFC lead in sacks (six) to spell Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers were never in the running for Wake.

They didn’t come close to offering the kind of guaranteed money Wake received from the Dolphins (a $1 million signing bonus).

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/10/22/sanders-expects-to-dress-in-miami/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

fordfixer
10-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Sanders looks to build off Browns game
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 24, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 05891.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705891.html)

After making his first NFL catches last week, rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is looking to build on that performance today against the Dolphins.

Sanders is again expected to serve as the Steelers' No. 4 wide receiver and kickoff returner in the 1 p.m. game.

He and Antonio Brown have been battling for that role on a weekly basis.

Brown had it for three consecutive weeks before Sanders wrested it from him prior to the Steelers' game against the Browns

"You've got to work for it," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He's earned it."

Sanders had two catches for 37 yards in the Steelers' 28-10 win last Sunday. Both of his receptions resulted in first downs.

"This week I'm not as nervous because I caught my first pass and I'm starting to grow into this offense and understand it," Sanders said.

Back in black

The Dolphins, as the Buccaneers did last month, have opted to wear their white jerseys today at Sun Life Stadium.

That means the Steelers will be in black on a day when temperatures are forecast to be in the mid 80s.

Unlike in Tampa Bay, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has opted against dressing six defensive linemen against the Dolphins.

The Steelers only have five healthy linemen with starting defensive end Brett Keisel out because of a hamstring injury.

They could have signed defensive tackle Steve McLendon from the practice squad — he has played two games this season — but Tomlin said last week that conditioning isn't as much of a factor now as it is in September.

NJ-STEELER
10-24-2010, 05:09 AM
on the radio pregame sunday, they mentioned that brown was late for a meeting and that may had something to do with manny starting over him.

although they asked tomlin and he said it didnt

Oviedo
10-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Pappy

Couldn't agree more. ARE's punt skill were diminshing when he left here to go to the Redskins. They are even worse now. While I understand the logic of wanting an experienced WR active on gameday in case Ward or Wallace get hurt I really believe that Sanders could be as valuable as ARE.

I really like Sanders as a WR but IMO Brown is the better return man. I would sit Anthony Madison and make brown active on gamedays. I think with Battle and Allen and the emergence of some of the young players like Worilds and Sylvester we can easily do that.

flippy
10-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Another key 3rd down conversion. And he was getting into a groove on the returns.