PDA

View Full Version : 0 Sacks on Ben

flippy
10-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I was stunned.

steelblood
10-18-2010, 08:37 AM
I thought our initial pass protection was good all day. I thought we didn't hold blocks real well and forced Ben to Houdini his way out of too many plays when his initial read wasn't open. I want to see him get hit a little less, but overall the line pass protected pretty well.

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 08:41 AM
pass protection was good... we didn't hold blocks all day but who does? Props to Ben for throwing that pass out of bounds too.

Mewelde Moore sucks at pass protection and needs to sit down.

steelblood
10-18-2010, 08:45 AM
pass protection was good... we didn't hold blocks all day but who does? Props to Ben for throwing that pass out of bounds too.

You are right. Moore went from a solid back up and third down guy to a pile a dog crap very quickly.

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 08:47 AM

You are right. Moore went from a solid back up and third down guy to a pile a dog crap very quickly.

after his man beat him and hit Ben Moore is holding his hands in the air like it wasn't his fault. Hold the block or sit down.

Crash
10-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Credit Ben, he was hit and hurried for most of the day. Sacks really don't bother me, the constant hits do, and that didn't change.

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Credit Ben, he was hit and hurried for most of the day. Sacks really don't bother me, the constant hits do, and that didn't change.

he wasn't constantly hit and he didn't have any dirt on him. Ben is willing to wait a little longer and take a hit to throw the deeper routes.

Watch any game and you see the QB taking much more punishment then Ben took last game.

He was protected well... Moore will get him killed though. Not a fan of his play at all this year.

Crash
10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Then who was wearing #7 who kept getting up off the Heinz Field turf?

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 11:28 AM

It's football....

Crash
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM

It's football....

That's nice. But what it was, was the OL constantly letting it's QB get hit.

People are too concerned with sacks. It's not the sacks, it's constantly getting hit that makes it worse.

The Steelers didn't have one sack in SB IX. But the DL hit and hammered Tarkenton all day.

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM

It's football....

That's nice. But what it was, was the OL constantly letting it's QB get hit.

People are too concerned with sacks. It's not the sacks, it's constantly getting hit that makes it worse.

The Steelers didn't have one sack in SB IX. But the DL hit and hammered Tarkenton all day.

Ben was hit but he definitely wasn't hammered. I don't think we will ever see a game where Ben stays up right and clean all day.

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Considering that he was sacked 8 times the last time that we played the Browns, it was certainly a marked improvement.

And considering that Kemoeatu got hurt during the game, was replaced by Foster, then Legursky got hurt too, so Kemo came back in and Foster moved over to RG, and Adams was also nicked up during the game as well, it was an impressive overall performance by everyone on the o-line.

In addition to adequate pass protection yesterday, they opened up some decent holes for Mendenhall and Redman as well.

drprwnap
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM

I hope Tomlin sees this and ends the love affair with Moore. He was good a couple of years ago but I agree he is a "pile of dog crap" now.

ikestops85
10-18-2010, 12:59 PM
There was one play where the browns blitzed and Mendy picked up the linebacker. He put him on his azz!!! It was great. Mendy seems to be getting better game after game. I love it. :tt2 :tt2

Crash
10-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Decent holes for Mendenhall? When? He had two nice runs all day.

He averaged three yards a carry, AGAIN.

Do you people even watch?

AngryAsian
10-18-2010, 01:39 PM

after his man beat him and hit Ben Moore is holding his hands in the air like it wasn't his fault. Hold the block or sit down.

Moore's asset was always in the pass catching category. He was never a serviceable blocking RB.

flippy
10-18-2010, 01:51 PM

Ben will take every second the OLine gives him. Getting hit is the line he plays on. He had more than 3 seconds on most pass plays which is solid.

Most Ben sacks have more to do with Ben than the line. Granted, there have been a lot of growing pains on the line over the last 2-3 years.

flippy
10-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Considering there were 8-9 guys in the box every time we ran it, it was ok.

Cleveland has a good D. They aren't close to as bad as their record.

AngryAsian
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Considering there were 8-9 guys in the box every time we ran it, it was ok.

Cleveland has a good D. They aren't close to as bad as their record.

I think 121 yards on the ground while your opponent stacks 8-9 men in the box, isn't too bad.

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Do you?

1st qtr:
Mend for 9, 4, 5, redman 4, Mend 2...
Mend for 5, Redman for 1 (on 3rd and 1)

2nd qtr:
Mend for 7, -1, -2,
Mend for 25, Redman for 6, Mend for 0
Moore for 1, Mend -1, Mend for 0

3rd qtr:
Mend for 1, 12, 2
Mend for 2
Mend for 2, 0

4th qtr:
Mend for 0, 3, 1
Mend for 13, Redman for 13, Mend for -2
Mend for 0, Redman for 3, Mend for 2 (TD)

Mend for 3, Red for 4
Mend for 4, 0

That's not bad numbers when you factor in the pass plays and stacked boxes after we got a sizable lead. Plus we ran 3 straight run plays to burn clock before halftime...

Stop looking at the stats and go by the film...

Crash
10-18-2010, 09:22 PM
The film doesn't lie. Mendenhall hasn't been consistent for a variety of reasons.

First being we continue to have 2-3 TE sets and run from it. And it doesn't freaking work!

Matt Spaeth is useless. Who is he blowing to get the PT he does?

Even on Wallace's TD, he sees the blitzing OLB, and runs right by him, lets him get a free run at Ben. Luckily Ben got it off for 6.

We need to go three wide as a base offense.

Then we aren't having these discussions.

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 09:48 PM
The film doesn't lie. Mendenhall hasn't been consistent for a variety of reasons.

First being we continue to have 2-3 TE sets and run from it. And it doesn't freaking work!

Matt Spaeth is useless. Who is he blowing to get the PT he does?

Even on Wallace's TD, he sees the blitzing OLB, and runs right by him, lets him get a free run at Ben. Luckily Ben got it off for 6.

We need to go three wide as a base offense.

Then we aren't having these discussions.

Not sure what Spaeth has to do with Mendenhalls consistency. What kind of production do you want from Mendy? 7 yards a pop? 800 yards after 5 games, 4 without Ben and the 32nd passing O mind you...

It sounds like you are complaining because you aren't used to givng compliments.

Chadman
10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Didn't you guys get the memo?

The Steelers are crap, and only Ben keeps them above .500.

The OL is showing no improvement, the Steelers can't run &.....&.....& only Ben keeps them above .500!

Crash
10-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Not sure what Spaeth has to do with Mendenhalls consistency.

He can't block, and for the majority of the game (or any game) when Spaeth is on the field its a run play. We rarely throw when Spaeth is on the field.

That's called predictability, and if I can see this, I'm sure their opponents do too.

Three wide base is the best of both worlds. It loosens's the 8 man box, and it leaves more speed on the field.

Ben excels in the hurry up. Ben has always excelled in the hurry up.

Matt Spaeth, isn't on the field.

Coincidence? Nope.

pfelix73
10-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I agree about the 2,3 TE 1 back formations- never liked them myself, but I'm not the OC. BA is. And that's his thing.

However, did you all see the I formation with Redman in at FB? Now that's what I'm talking about- They need to utilize that more often. Then you have 2 options at either Redman or Mendenhall getting the ball if it's a running play.

I remember them using it at least 3 times. Redman had the 12 or 13 yd run off of it. However, on another time, Mendy didn't follow his blocker too well and only picked up a few yds. The 3rd time, Redman had the carry again. Not sure if there were more than those 3.....

Hope they use that form. more as the season progresses.

:tt1

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Didn't you guys get the memo?

The Steelers are crap, and only Ben keeps them above .500.

The OL is showing no improvement, the Steelers can't run &.....&.....& only Ben keeps them above .500!
:Clap

Captain Lemming
10-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Not sure what Spaeth has to do with Mendenhalls consistency.

He can't block, and for the majority of the game (or any game) when Spaeth is on the field its a run play. We rarely throw when Spaeth is on the field.

That's called predictability, and if I can see this, I'm sure their opponents do too.

Three wide base is the best of both worlds. It loosens's the 8 man box, and it leaves more speed on the field.

Ben excels in the hurry up. Ben has always excelled in the hurry up.

Matt Spaeth, isn't on the field.

Coincidence? Nope.

Yeah, lets just hire June Jones and go run and shoot. :roll:

Balance Crash, that is what we need.

I get your point about Spaeth but how about a FB. 3 wides as a base? I dont think so.

Crash
10-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't care for a fullback, Mendenhall doesn't need one. Cowher had a fullback for years and never won squat in big games. The play that broke SB XL wide open? Three wide, no FB, Parker went 75 yards.

Everyone loves smashmouth, yoi, Hmm ha.

Me? I love winning more than I love "tradition".

feltdizz
10-19-2010, 11:17 PM
If you love winning why are you so down on the Steelers when we are 4-1?

stlrz d
10-19-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't care for a fullback, Mendenhall doesn't need one. Cowher had a fullback for years and never won squat in big games. The play that broke SB XL wide open? Three wide, no FB, Parker went 75 yards.

Everyone loves smashmouth, yoi, Hmm ha.

Me? I love winning more than I love "tradition".

I don't need to see a FB in there on the majority of the plays, but keep something in mind...it was a FB (#85 lined up as one) who took out *two* guys to spring Mendy for the 50 yard TD in OT against Atlanta.

Nothing wrong with mixing it up and having one back there on occasion.

Crash
10-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Because we should be 5-0. The same problems that cost us games, and blamed on injuries to Troy and Smith, are still happening with them in the lineup in 2010.

The same predictable offensive play-calling, based on formation in 2009, is happening again in 2010.

For all of LeBeau's alleged genius and his alleged always adding "new stuff", sure as hell looks like the same stuff to me.

Where are the adjustments?

We don't run Mendenhall wide enough either. Everything is between the tackles. That's why we struggle for consistency in the ground game.

Captain Lemming
10-20-2010, 12:17 AM

Because we should be 5-0. The same problems that cost us games, and blamed on injuries to Troy and Smith, are still happening with them in the lineup in 2010.

The same predictable offensive play-calling, based on formation in 2009, is happening again in 2010.

For all of LeBeau's alleged genius and his alleged always adding "new stuff", sure as hell looks like the same stuff to me.

Where are the adjustments?

We don't run Mendenhall wide enough either. Everything is between the tackles. That's why we struggle for consistency in the ground game.

Wow we are:

-Allowing the fewest points in the league (12 points).
-Mendenhalls 99 per game yardage projects to almost 1600 yards
-And with our starter back Ben leads the league in passing efficiency
-We had zero sacks, despite having all of "ONE" elite talent that is not over the hill, an inexperienced "rookie".

We are 5-1 mostly with backup QBs, and we all know we are undefeated with Ben in the Ravens game.

Idiot coaches

Can we just swap ours for the Cowboy coaches before these clowns blow the entire season. :roll:

Crash
10-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Again, you look at sacks and stats.

I look at hits.

How many times was Ben hit? Plenty.

4th quarter defense still stinks. They play prevent and they don't even play it right, they give up scores TOO QUICKLY, rather than chew time.

Mendenhall's YPC in regulation has stunk in 4 of 5 games. No consistency. Not enough holes for him. He'll have one big run that inflates his total.

skyhawk
10-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I still have to agree with the crappy 4th Q defense that has plagued this team since the second half of the Super Bowl (2009 and this season are a continuation of this).

When the Steelers start beating TOP playoff teams like the Ravens, Saints, Pats*, Jets, etc, then I will be all warm and fuzzy about stats.

The Steelers lost a 5 game stretch last year with poor 4th Q defense (among other things) and I am VERY concerned about the upcoming 4 game stretch v top teams. We'll see..

I do believe (and am happy) the Steelers are playing well against teams they SHOULD beat. A welcome upgrade over last season.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM

I look at hits.

Reality check: Give Ben an offensive line featuring Mike Webster, John Hannah, Bruce Matthews, Anthony Munoz, and Art Shell in their respective primes, and he will still get hit plenty of times. Face it...it is just the way he plays. He will extend the play until the very last possible second, scrambling around and waiting for a receiver to get open. This will not change.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM

I look at hits.

4th quarter defense still stinks. They play prevent and they don't even play it right, they give up scores TOO QUICKLY, rather than chew time.

Mendenhall's YPC in regulation has stunk in 4 of 5 games. No consistency. Not enough holes for him. He'll have one big run that inflates his total.

When hasn't Ben taken hits? From day 1 Ben has sacrificed his body to make throws down field. Is this your first year watching him play? LOL

4th quarter D could make them earn it but I can't totally blame Lebeau.. I think players slack off a little when the team is up by 21 to 3.

Mendy's yards per carry in the first quarter was 5 yards a pop... maybe if Ben doesn't throw the INT early the game plays out a little different.

You are complaining because it's what you do. It's a RickT move... you aren't basing your frustrations off of facts... I wouldn't read too far into Mend's first 4 games because our passing was atrocious.

4-1 and you are complaining about EVERYTHING!!!

ikestops85
10-20-2010, 11:24 AM

I look at hits.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10997/Copy%20of%20when%2520nascar%2520moms%2520attack.jp g

This is ridiculous. We are 4-1 and in first place in the division. Are we playing perfect ball? Hell no! Are we winning games? Hell yes!!

I don't want this team playing great at this time of the year. As long as we are winning I am happy because it keeps us in the playoff race. Let's peak late into the season going into the playoffs so we can make that SB run.

I'm amazed at how well our defense plays in this era of offensive free wheeling. Sure, we play soft at times but it's worked for many years. Our defensive woes last year doesn't make a trend. Now if it continues throughout this year we might have something to worry about.

For now, let's just enjoy the best damn team in football!! :tt2 :tt2

Crash
10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Reality check: Give Ben an offensive line featuring Mike Webster, John Hannah, Bruce Matthews, Anthony Munoz, and Art Shell in their respective primes, and he will still get hit plenty of times. Face it...it is just the way he plays. He will extend the play until the very last possible second, scrambling around and waiting for a receiver to get open. This will not change.

He wasn't scrambling around Sunday. Those hits all took place in the pocket.

Oviedo
10-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Some people can't be happy about anything unless they are unhappy about something

flippy
10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

How many happened after 3 seconds. If he gets hit in less than 3, it's on the line. Over 3 and it's on Ben.

The line is giving him enough time. And if you want him to get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds, put more 3 step drops in the playbook.

The simple offense doesn't help either. Everyone knows what play is coming. If Brucie mixed things up a bit, it would keep the pass rush off balance.

If you take into account that everyone knows if a pass or run is coming, the Oline is playing out of their minds.

And if we go back a couple games, Batch wasn't getting hit.

Bottom line, Ben gets hit cause it's Ben.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 11:59 AM

How many happened after 3 seconds. If he gets hit in less than 3, it's on the line. Over 3 and it's on Ben.

The line is giving him enough time. And if you want him to get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds, put more 3 step drops in the playbook.

The simple offense doesn't help either. Everyone knows what play is coming. If Brucie mixed things up a bit, it would keep the pass rush off balance.

If you take into account that everyone knows if a pass or run is coming, the Oline is playing out of their minds.

Bottom line, Ben gets hit cause it's Ben.

It's either pass or run... it's not that hard to guess what is coming when watching any team play.

sentinel33
10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
The offensive line is fine. first game back with ben and we give up zero sacks and someone whines. hits are hits. this is football and ben is 6'5,241 and hasnt taken a hit all year. as stated in an above post, this team isnt an A team yet, but we are still winning and improving. if giving up zero sacks in 2 of the past 3 games isnt an improvement then forget it. the one game we give up sacks and its two of them to baltimore, who if you give up 2 sacks thats a pretty good day for any team.(horrible sentence) legursky at rg guard and pouncey at center has improved our line nearly a full letter grade. as long as adams holds up maybe this line can stay heakthy and gain some consistency and rhythm and really gel.
The cleveland defense is decent and mendenhall is doing a fine job back there. he's keeping teams honest by grinding out games and breaking off runs of various lengths at different times in the game, the standard 2-4 yarders that any back deals with and then 6-8's, then 12-14's and then a breakaway of 20-50 yards. not to mention the fact that he's scoring consistently. the mendenhall/redman combo is the perfect comination for this team. both are big backs at 225+ but both have different styles. a nice compliment.
The team needs to get brown more involved with the offense. this guy is a weapon and needs to see the field more. sure hope he develops a repoire with ben.
and the league needs to lay off of james.
just doin his job.
fine's ridiculous. how can he be a repeat offender if the tackle he was involved with had 3 guys in on the tackle. i never understood that fine and i really dont understand this one. if the nfl was having consecutive weeks like this i would understand. but that week was a bit of an anomaly. and then they are selling pics of the hit on top of that. Rich

Crash
10-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Batch got hit plenty against the Ravens, including a sack on 3rd down before one of Reed's misses.

feltdizz
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Batch got hit plenty against the Ravens, including a sack on 3rd down before one of Reed's misses.

Batch had ample time most pass plays against the Ravens..

I think Mewelde missed a blitzer on 1 sack and the other one Batch had all day to throw.

Mewelde can't block but the OL has been solid so far this year.