PDA

View Full Version : Keisel out for Miami game

fordfixer
10-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Keisel out for Miami game
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 18, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 04840.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_704840.html)

The Steelers may be without Brett Keisel next Sunday in Miami as the starting defensive end sustained a hamstring injury against the Cleveland Browns. "That could be an issue moving forward," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers beat the Browns, 28-10. Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood played in place of Keisel, with Eason getting first crack after Keisel went down. Tomlin said either player is capable of starting against the Dolphins if Keisel is unable to play in the 1 p.m. game. "They're 3 and 3a, if you will, in terms of defensive ends," Tomlin said. "At the end of the day, they usually play a similar number of snaps."

Right tackle Flozell Adams and starting guards Chris Kemoeatu and Doug Legursky left the game with injuries, but all later returned to action.

Tomlin said nothing should be read into the Steelers' late touchdown against the Browns. The Steelers, leading 21-10, seemed content to run out the clock following an interception by inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons. The Browns, however, called two timeouts. The Steelers responded by throwing a third-down pass with a minute-and-a-half left, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and tight end Heath Miller hooked up for a 14-yard score. "We've got big-time respect for those guys," Tomlin said, "but at the same time we weren't trying to get the ball back to them, either."

Byron Leftwich, at least for now, is the backup to Roethlisberger. Charlie Batch served as the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback.

Right guard Trai Essex (ankle) did not play against the Browns because of an injury. The other six players that did not dress were cornerbacks Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler, wide receiver Antonio Brown, offensive tackle Tony Hills, running back Jonathan Dwyer and outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson.

stlrz d
10-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Saw this story. Title of the story is very misleading. Since the first line of the story is this:

The Steelers may be without Brett Keisel next Sunday

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
If Keisel's out next week, I'd like to see Ziggy get the start in his place. It made sense for Eason to replace Brett at first in this game, since Eason is primarly Keisel's backup on the right and Hood is primarly Smith's backup on the left, but with a week's worth of practice, I think they should give Hood more of an opportunity on the right side of our defensive line where Keisel typically plays.

StarSpangledSteeler
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
This is a good reminder about how we need to draft/develop a little more talent at DL. We need to draft Hampton's replacement this year and draft or develop Aaron Smith's replacement this year. Remember this come mock draft time.

aggiebones
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Hmmm, originally I agreed with you about starting Hood. But if they are earmarking Eason for Keisel's spot in the VERY near future, then it makes sense to test him out all the way.
By the same token, Hood could be already earmarked for ASmith's spot in the VERY near future. Sadly, both Keisel and ASmith's time is running out. BUT I still think they both have at least another year. But you never know. I can't remember contract situations with these guys off the top of my head. Only Tomlin and the front office TRULY know what are plans are over the next couple years at DE. But if Eason performs well, then I'd say we don't need to grab ANY next draft. And we can totally concentrate on finding a future NG.

Steelers future?: Eason - X - Hood
We need to find a VERY good X soon. This defense needs a top NG once BSnack rolls out of the league.

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Eason is not earmarked to be Keisel's future replacement. This is Keisel's 9th year in the league, and it is Eason's 8th year. Eason is merely a backup. With Sonny Harris gone, perhaps they plan to groom Al Woods (a 4th round pick by the Saints this year out of LSU that we nabbed for our practice squad, supplanting our own 7th round pick Doug Worthington) as a potential DE of the future.

Keisel is the same age as James Harrison (32) but both were back-up/special teams players for the first 4 seasons of their NFL careers, so they do not necessarily have the tread on their tires that most 32 year old NFLers tend to have. Keisel should be here for a while (signed a 5 year deal last August). He's an athletic big fella (certainly moves better than most players that are 6'5" and 285 lbs.).

ikestops85
10-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Speaking of our DEs ... did Aaron Smith play the whole game? I don't remember seeing him much or hearing his named called at all. That is not normal for AS. It was kinda creepy not hearing Keisel and Smith's name being called out all game.

Shoe
10-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Speaking of our DEs ... did Aaron Smith play the whole game? I don't remember seeing him much or hearing his named called at all. That is not normal for AS. It was kinda creepy not hearing Keisel and Smith's name being called out all game.

I don't know what games you watch, but ASmith's name not getting called isn't all that unusual--that's why he's been so underrated. Even for Steeler fans, it's probably hard to remember signature plays by Smith.

It's not that he's a nobody... far from it. His impact has shown over and over the times he's been gone from the lineup. But it's not "creepy" not hearing his name (or Keisels)... that's the nature of their job.

ikestops85
10-19-2010, 12:03 PM

I don't know what games you watch, but ASmith's name not getting called isn't all that unusual--that's why he's been so underrated. Even for Steeler fans, it's probably hard to remember signature plays by Smith.

It's not that he's a nobody... far from it. His impact has shown over and over the times he's been gone from the lineup. But it's not "creepy" not hearing his name (or Keisels)... that's the nature of their job.

I watch Steeler games and Smith and Keisel are normally mentioned throughout the game. Smith for taking on blockers and helping to stuff the run and Keisel for putting some pressure on the QB.

Smith may be underrated but he is not non-existent. His name is peppered throughout the game for either plays he makes or those he helps make. Just because our D-linemen are unselfish doesn't mean you don't hear about them.

What games do you watch? :wink: