PDA

View Full Version : Props to Arians

phillyesq
10-18-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm generally not a fan of BA, but I really liked the call to go deep to Wallace. The first to times the Steelers were pinned deep by the Browns punter (who did a very nice job), they ran, and I'm sure the Browns expected the same. The call to Wallace caught them off guard, and really seemed to spark the offense.

I'm not saying that he called a perfect game, but that was a great call.

Crash
10-18-2010, 12:45 AM
For the most part his play-calling sucked. We run or pass based on formation.

Matt Spaeth is worthless. I have never seen a player who's does so little get as much playing time as he does. He can't get open, he can't block, what the hell does he add?

pepsyman1
10-18-2010, 12:48 AM
I'll agree that that was a great call. I'm not a huge fan of BA either, but I'm hoping he is able to maintain a healthy balance between run and pass and NOT be predictable. I'm fine with us passing more than running if that is what the defense is giving us or vice-versa. As long as there is balance and the ability to adjust based on how the defense is playing us. We have the weapons to play whatever offensive style is necessary to be successful as long as Arians isn't stubborn in his approach. I was thrilled to see some runs with a leading fullback today and some effort to get Mendy into the passing game as well. A good mix will make us a difficult team to stop.

Starlifter
10-18-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm with crash on this one. did anyone else notice how the browns used creative formations and misdirection to spring some folks really wide open? what do we do? mostly run a single back set and try to out block the other team. I will say there was one cleverly designed play with the swing pass to rashard out of the backfield down to the 1 (using the wideouts to screen and clear the zone) - but that's about it. other than the 2 bombs to wallace and the nice pass to heath - our long plays were the result of ben buying time and the receivers running around getting open, not as a result of the actual design of the play. I was OK with the balance and the browns defense is solid BUT it just drives me nuts that I watch game in and game out and rarely think I see anything clever out of BA.

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2010, 12:55 AM
a broken clock is right twice a day...

skyhawk
10-18-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm generally not a fan of BA, but I really liked the call to go deep to Wallace. The first to times the Steelers were pinned deep by the Browns punter (who did a very nice job), they ran, and I'm sure the Browns expected the same. The call to Wallace caught them off guard, and really seemed to spark the offense.

I'm not saying that he called a perfect game, but that was a great call.

It was an easy call. Since the Browns had 7-8 guys on the line of scrimmage up to that point. They were just daring BA to go long.

flippy
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Agreed. We ran every time the box was stacked and passed when they dropped into coverage. Arians = Captain Predictable

He forgot everything Whiz taught him in the 05 playoff run.

flippy
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Agreed. We ran every time the box was stacked and passed when they dropped into coverage. Arians = Captain Predictable

He forgot everything Whiz taught him in the 05 playoff run.

Oviedo
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
ho hum! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

papillon
10-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Blah, blah, blah....same stuff different day, 28 points, three passing TDs, 27 running plays, the defense gives a soft TD that allowed the game to be extended and we're going to b1tch and moan about Arians. Geesh, you guys are a tough crowd.

The offensive coordinator has to keep the entire season in mind as he devises game plans from week to week. I'm certain that opponents are going to see passing plays out of running sets and running plays out of passing sets as the season wears on. The Steelers are winning football games right now, why should they expose everything they can do on offense when smaller amounts are winning the game?

One play yesterday early on that I liked was moving Raashard into the slot to empty the backfield and then hit him with the 1 step drop and he ran it for 4 or 5 yards. In effect, a running play out of the empty backfield.

He's using Wallace at the right time, gave Ben enough work to get up to game speed, they hung 28 points on a good Browns defense and they left a lot of plays on the field. I"m not sure what you all expect from the guy.

You may not like his style of offense, but it has been effective, except in the red zone and that seems to get corrected as each week passes, 4 Red zone trips yesterday, 1 INT (and a bad one by Ben) and 3 TDs.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 08:38 AM
wake up... roll out of bed, blame Arians. Talk about predictable. LOL

SteelTorch
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Playcalling was meh. We won, but BA displayed his typical uncreativity.

There was one particular play that seemed pretty bone-headed to me: right before the 2-minute warning in the 4th, we were running the ball great, had a 3rd and 2 conversion to go, and we decide to pass it. Of course, it goes incomplete, the clock stops, and we have to punt.

That one made me scratch my head. Why would you NOT run the ball in that case, if for no other reason than to drain the clock further? We running it fine, and were very close to field-goal range. We had nothing to lose.

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Matt Spaeth is worthless. I have never seen a player who's does so little get as much playing time as he does. He can't get open, he can't block, what the hell does he add?

I did see one play where Spaeth was WIIIIIIIIIIDE open, and it appeared that Ben was looking his way, but apparently he looked right through him toward Wallace who was streaking down that same sideline. Ben unloaded and overthrew him way the hell out of bounds. I'm not sure of the T.V. cameras did that play justice, but the entire crowd at Heinz groaned openly in unison at how open Spaeth was on that play, yet Ben overlooked him.

steelnavy
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Yeah, talk about predictable... Every post that contains a negative comment about BA gets a Feltdizz dose of BA man love in response.

Now THATS PREDICTABLE. LOL

BTW, don't you find it remarkable how much smarter you are than 90% of the posters? That you truly understand the greatness of BA while the other poor saps just can't seem to grasp the real truth? You frustrated geniuses have a hard life. You and Galileo have a lot in common... :roll:

SteelTorch
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Yeah, talk about predictable... Every post that contains a negative comment about BA gets a Feltdizz dose of BA man love in response.

BTW, don't you find it remarkable how much smarter you are than 90% of the posters? That you truly understand the greatness of BA while the other poor saps just can't seem to grasp the real truth? You frustrated geniuses have a hard life. You and Galileo have a lot in common... :roll:
But no, see, we won the SB in 08. That must mean Arians is a genius. :wink:

AngryAsian
10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Not to be a Donny-Downer here but we did play the Browns with a rookie QB. Predictable game calling, sure. Anything new, nope. To others on the opposite end of the spectrum... I look at it like this: these are random observations by rabid fans that are looking ahead at the really tough match ups against the NFL elite teams, not to mention the more formidable opponents within our own division. Against these "beasts" the ho-hum play calling will not get it done. That's why every Bruce Arians action figure comes with a 2 time Super Bowl winning QB who is second to none in pocket improvisation. That being said....

GO STEELERS!!!

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 03:12 PM

balance of power... :Beer 90% of the posters are crying for no reason and one post can balance all the idiocy out. Besides, half you guys are just following the crowd and echoing the same old same and don't know what you are talking about.

if he calls a bad game then have at 'em but dogging him for not calling the game fans want for the Saints or Pats is ignorant.

Mend was gashing them early and Ben dropped back and had open WR's everywhere and although he had a few high throws (little rust) :wft are you guys really complaining about?

Oh the horror, we aren't a tricky, mis-direction team.. we line up, run that sh!t down your throat and then Ben gives the kill shot... 28 to 10 and you guys are whining like b!tches, scared to clap for a game well played because you want to be one of the boyth's (pronounce with lisp)

0 sacks and the OL sucks..
Mend didn't get 100 yards so the running game sucked.
No serious DB breakdowns but the DB's are terrible.

It's the internet so I understand... people need to complain but geez, the BA sucks should come after a bad offensive game not after a complete clinic of a division rival who beat us last game.

SteelTorch
10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Not mentioning any names but, having argued the Arians debate for years now, I've come to accept the fact that:

A) Some BA supporters just like going against the crowd, whether to play devil's advocate or make themselves feel smart.

B) Others are simply too dumb to see the obvious. :P

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Not mentioning any names but, having argued the Arians debate for years now, I've come to accept the fact that:

A) Some BA supporters just like going against the crowd, whether to play devil's advocate or make themselves feel smart.

B) Others are simply too dumb to see the obvious. :P

Ben, Tomlin and the FO are so freaking dumb.... :HeadBanger

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steelnavy
10-18-2010, 09:49 PM

balance of power... :Beer 90% of the posters are crying for no reason and one post can balance all the idiocy out. Besides, half you guys are just following the crowd and echoing the same old same and don't know what you are talking about.

if he calls a bad game then have at 'em but dogging him for not calling the game fans want for the Saints or Pats is ignorant.

Mend was gashing them early and Ben dropped back and had open WR's everywhere and although he had a few high throws (little rust) :wft are you guys really complaining about?

Oh the horror, we aren't a tricky, mis-direction team.. we line up, run that sh!t down your throat and then Ben gives the kill shot... 28 to 10 and you guys are whining like b!tches, scared to clap for a game well played because you want to be one of the boyth's (pronounce with lisp)

0 sacks and the OL sucks..
Mend didn't get 100 yards so the running game sucked.
No serious DB breakdowns but the DB's are terrible.

It's the internet so I understand... people need to complain but geez, the BA sucks should come after a bad offensive game not after a complete clinic of a division rival who beat us last game.

Some poignant talking points from Feltdizz:
- 90% of the posters are crying for no reason
- half you guys are just following the crowd and echoing the same old same and don't know what you are talking about
- you guys are whining like b!tches, scared to clap for a game well played because you want to be one of the boyth's (pronounce with lisp)
- Its the internet so I understand... people need to complain

You are obviously a highly educated and well respected leader amongst your peers. I mean, who else could come up with such deep thoughts and ironclad positions? :roll: :roll: :roll:

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I must have hit a nerve. Keep going with the 90% navy... I'll go wth Ben, Tomlin and the rest of the team since they are a little closer to the game then the fans.