PDA

View Full Version : Next four weeks could determine the season

MaxAMillion
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
The Steelers play four tough games in a row coming up. How they handle this stretch could determine the season. The Steelers play the following:

at Miami
at New Orleans
at Bungles
Pats at Steelers

It is hard to imagine the Steelers going 4-0 through that stretch. Those games will take a toll physically as well as emotionally. I will be thrilled with 3-1. That would put us at 7-2 and in great shape to win the division.

I think the Bungles game is the most likely loss because it will be the third straight road game. Teams historically struggle with the third game of a three game road trip. The Saint game worries me as well. The Saints are tough at home. However, the first game against the Dolphins is key. The team can continue their momentum through the rough stretch if they win. A loss to the Dolphins throws everything up in the air.

It is good to be 4-1. This is definitely a success given the loss of Ben for four games.

BATMAN
10-17-2010, 07:43 PM
It is like murderers row is coming up. The schedule even after these four will be dificult due to some of the teams and the wins vs the losses wil be so crucial.

SteelAbility
10-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I say 4-0. With Ben back and an O that can once again move the ball, the D is going to be super dominant. We match up very well with Miami. The Saints are showing vulnerability and a bit of Super Bowl hangover. Cincinnati has been average at best. We played Baltimore about as tough with our 4th string QB as New England* did with their 1st string QB.

Ozey74
10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Ben always does well at Miami, I see that as a win.

At New Orleans on Halloween night, the Saints get an assist from voodoo and we lose.

At Cincy, we win. Yes it is a road game, but Cincy isn't that far from the Burg and the Steeler fans always represent well at Paul Brown.

New England is no longer a team to fear & they come to town after facing a tough SD team on the road and Minnesota. We win.

:tt2

AngryAsian
10-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Defensively we have an advantage over NO and CIN because their respective air attacks are the deep balls... and we defend those quite effectively. NE and MIA love the down and outs and dump passes out in the flat... which we apparently still have problems defending. None of these teams will be able to run on our D. The last three are prime time games. This stretch will be rough.

JTP53609
10-17-2010, 09:23 PM
oakland could very well be a first place team at the time we play them after N.E. too, dont laugh too hard but that division sucks so bad same with the nfc west, maybe the nfl shuld just drop those 8 teams in the 2 west divisions.....
that is a hard 4 games, i see miami and cincy as wins and a split with N.O and N.E. obviously the saints would be the game I would lose since they are NFC

BURGH86STEEL
10-17-2010, 09:35 PM
One game at a time. All those games could be extremely challenging. There are no automatic wins by "just showing up" in the NFL anymore.

steelblood
10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Determine the season? Only if we lose all four or maybe 1-3. If we win two, three, or four, we should be good, I think. We still have the Browns, Panthers, Raiders, and Bills on tap.

stlrz d
10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
oakland could very well be a first place team at the time we play them after N.E. too, dont laugh too hard but that division sucks so bad same with the nfc west, maybe the nfl shuld just drop those 8 teams in the 2 west divisions.....
that is a hard 4 games, i see miami and cincy as wins and a split with N.O and N.E. obviously the saints would be the game I would lose since they are NFC

I doubt it. The Chiefs are gonna win that division.

Chadman
10-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Looking at that schedule-

Miami- tough team, physically. But the Steelers D should account for their 'staple'- the run, forcing them to throw. Henne is a solid QB, but not great- and the WR's are not really dominating, outside of Marshall. The Dolphins D is tough, but not elite. If the Steelers can stop Brown/Williams from getting much on the ground, and take away Marshall- while still applying pressure on Henne, expect the D to put a W in the column.

New Orleans- Tougher for different reasons. More of a 'Big play' D in NO, so Ben is more likely to come under pressure with INT's & sacks. BUT- you can run on NO reasonably easily. Mendy is the key on Offense this game. Defense- Steelers won't have much of a running game to compete with if Pierre thomas is still out (as is expected- destroying my FF team!!). Chris Ivory & Ladell Betts shouldn't give the Steelers front 7 much trouble. The Saints biggest asset though is obviously in the air. The fact that they have multiple 'Big Play' targets makes them hard to beat when they are forced to air it out. as pointed out by asian- deep balls are 'generally' well defended by the Steelers, so guys like Shockey & Lance Moore could be the biggest threats in this game.

Bengals- Tough in name only. Steelers should be able to run over the top of them, and none of the Bengals WR's are really field stretchers any more. If Pittsburgh controls the clock- they control the game.

Patriots- Tough game, again. They tend to elevate their game to the Steelers every time we meet. If the Pats running game is still in disaray- it makes no difference, as they easily switch to spread formations etc at the drop of a hat. Their cutesy dink-and-dunk passing game is so frustrating against the Steelers because it is exactly what they have trouble defending against. The key will be Ben's ability to blow them open with deep balls, and Mendy's ability to control the clock- Chadman expects the D to get shown up in this one, so it'll be the O's turn to win one for the organisation.

Prediction- 2-2, Chadman sees both NO & the Pats as big dangers based on personel.

D Rock
10-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I think the Bengals-Ravens-Jets stretch will be more important.

2 divisional games, all 3 games in the AFC, and 2 will be against teams competing for home field advantage in the playoffs.

SteelCrazy
10-17-2010, 11:19 PM

If you wanna crown them, then crown their ass

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Ready to be road warriors

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers embark on what could be one of the toughest stretches of their schedule this week when they travel to Miami to take on the Dolphins at Sun Life Stadium on Sunday. It will be first of three straight road games for the black and gold, something that is never easy in the NFL.

“Three straight on the road, it’s going to be tough,” said linebacker James Farrior. “There is a tough challenge ahead of us. We just have to stay focused, take it one game at a time. Miami is next week. That’s all we have to focus on.”

The Dolphins are coming off a 23-20 overtime win on the road against the Green Bay Packers, improving their record to 3-2 and the energy from that is expected to carry over into Sunday’s game in Miami.

“You look at the games ahead, it starts in Miami,” said tackle Max Starks. “We will be going in there to a hyped-up Miami team that is successful right now. They are playing pretty good. They pulled a big win out against the Packers. It’s going to be a tough, hostile crowd down in Miami.

“The biggest thing is to go in there, have a great attitude, and study extra hard because you know it’s going to be noisy and loud and you have to contain that crowd noise to be successful. It’s easy to do it at home, the crowd is quiet and you can run everything you want to in your offense. This is where it really counts.”

The Steelers are 2-0 on the road so far this season, winning in Tennessee and Tampa. Pulling out road wins is a must if they are going to go far this year.

“When you put it in to perspective, in order to be successful and to make it to our ultimate goal, the playoffs, you realize there is going to be a gritty part of the schedule,” said Starks. “Right now we are getting into that gritty part.”

A stretch like this often times reveals what a team is made of, and it’s a challenge that the team is ready for.

“This is the part of the schedule where you really find the identity of your team,” said Starks. “You can see how this team is going to be this year based off the next couple of weeks. I think we are ready for it. We have had to do it before. Every team is going to have that patch. We just have to be better than the rest of them.

“When you look at it, you know what your base is. We have set a great foundation, but now you find how deep your team goes, to be able to go on the road and pull out victories. I think that is the biggest thing. It’s not just about home dominance, but how you do on the road going in to other people’s stadiums. You realize at some point you are going to have to do that to get to your ultimate goal – the biggest game of them all is an away game.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-8287ca6c8f83

JTP53609
11-16-2010, 10:43 PM

how about that, I was pretty dead on with that.....

Chadman
11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Without wanting to toot thy own horn- Chadman pretty much got it right...

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 09:33 AM

:Agree Went about as predicted. The Pats game was always the wildcard which I thought would be the difference between 2-2 and 3-1.

JTP53609
11-17-2010, 11:46 AM

chadman, you were correct, good work, I give it to you....I was one game off, but I said the raiders would be in first place when we play them and I was spot on with that.

ikestops85
11-17-2010, 01:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/threadbombs/Thread%20Bombs/whoop.jpg

Only kidding ... good job with your predictions. :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Without wanting to toot thy own didgeridoo- Chadman pretty much got it right...

Fixed that for you. :wink:

http://www.musicroom.com/Images/Catalogue/fullsize/DIDGE1.jpg