View Full Version : Fan takes flack for flying Steelers flag

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Fan takes flack for flying sports flag

Takes on Homeowners Association

Published : Thursday, 14 Oct 2010
Reporter: Crystal Gutierrez

http://www.ericovermyer.com/SteelersFlag.jpg

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - A flap over a flag is brewing in an Albuquerque neighborhood after the Ventana Ranch Homeowners' Association ordered a resident to take down his Pittsburgh Steelers flag.

Ronnie Martinez said he couldn’t believe it when he got a violation notice, or “friendly reminder,” in the mail two weeks ago.

“They're saying it’s a friendly reminder but,” Martinez said

That friendly reminder is ordering him to fold up a flag bearing the name of his favorite NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, because signs are forbidden under Ventana Ranch HOA’s covenant.

Yet, Wednesday afternoon there was that same flag hanging above Martinez’s garage next to his American flag.

The Pittsburgh fan said it will keep flying for at least the next few months.

“My Steelers flag goes up usually on Sundays on football day,” Martinez said. “It will stay there from now until the end of the season, which is in January.”

Martinez said he knows more letters will follow and soon he'll be ordered to pay several fees for the violation. However, his question is, “What violation?”

The letter highlights a section in the covenants titled ‘signs.’ The word 'sign' pops up several times, nearly a dozen, but it never mentions flags.

“It's not in the covenants saying you can't have a sports flag, you can't have a fall flag,” Martinez said.

Even Martinez's neighbors couldn’t believe he’s getting so much flack for flying his flag.

“That's crazy,” one neighbor said.

“You're telling me,” Martinez shouted back. “Too bad Dave’s not here. I would tell him to put up his Cowboys flag.”

News 13 also found other neighbors had their own flags flying that day. From American flags to flags welcoming guests were hung, staked into the ground or on flag poles.

News 13 called Canyon Gate, the HOA management services, that served the violation about the letter.

The group declined to talk to on camera but said their interpretation of the sign section in the covenant is that he football flag is a sign.

They also said the section might need more clarity but that's up to the association’s board of directors.

Later Thursday the management group sent a statement on behalf of the board stating the, “HOA will not take a formal position on the matter” until after talking with Martinez.

Martinez said he plans to file an official complaint about the issue and said he's willing to go to court to keep the Steelers' flag flying.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/Man-gets-flack-for-flying-flag

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
“My Steelers flag goes up usually on Sundays on football day,” Martinez said. “It will stay there from now until the end of the season, which is in January.”

Ahem...The season ends in January for 30 teams, but this is the Steelers we are talking about. The Steelers' season will end it February, and it will end with a trophy presentation and a parade.

LordVile
10-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Ahem...The season ends in January for 30 teams, but this is the Steelers we are talking about. The Steelers' season will end it February, and it will end with a trophy presentation and a parade.

+ 1 :Beer

California-Steel
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM
:tt2 Keep your flag wavin high and proud. Go Steelers.

Crash
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
My HOA made me remove Steelers banners from my windows so I know how he feels.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
My HOA made me remove Steelers banners from my windows so I know how he feels.

HOAs are run by people with the need to control. a retired military officer recently became the President of our HOA and he is now trying to exert his leadership. I have some beautiful purple anthuriums in my side yard and he told me about 3 months ago that they were not approved by our HOA and I need to pull them out.

needless to say, I still have them. I hope he doesn't try to remove them, I would hate to have to go into his yard and do something to his flowers... :twisted:

DkBlue
10-17-2010, 07:17 AM
I live in a deed restricted community. Everytime they elect a new board of directors the idiocy grows.

I brought my boat home to wash it in the driveway and received a letter from the association.

There is a certain type of anal retentive individual who thrives on this sort of thing and they need to be rebuffed at all costs.

Chachi
10-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I got one word for the guy...Move.

I admire the guy for sticking it to the HOA, but, you choose to buy a house with a HOA it's your own damn fault.

DukieBoy
10-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Fascists.

proudpittsburgher
10-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I say we offer to take up a collection to pay his fee. :)

Discipline of Steel
10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
I was once President of my HOA. Call me the anti-condo commando. Luckily all anyone complained about was parking. But I have to agree they are the source of much lunacy...irritating to be polite. The only problem is, its getting harder and harder to find a home thats not part of some association and more importantly, does not get taxed on a monthly basis by said organization. We all complain but why do we pay to put these facists in power over our property?

"The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy!"
Zach de la Rocha....Rage!