PDA

View Full Version : Manny Sanders returning kicks this Sunday

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10287/1095248-100.stm

According to the report Sanders is further ahead of Brown in the passing game. I'd still like to see both active.

SidSmythe
10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
I wasn't overly impressed w/ Brown's KO Return ... it was a reverse.

I see SANDERS as a poor man's Holmes and I like his potential in the passing game

flippy
10-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Good. We need someone besides Wallace that can get some separation.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2010, 07:33 PM
As long as he has honed his craft since the preseason, I'm fine with it. He's needed much improvement after playing a large role in two pick-sixes in the same preseason game...one physical (did not fight for the ball on a comeback on the left sideline for a Dixon pick 6) and one mental (ran the wrong route on the right sideline for a Batch pick 6).

steelblood
10-15-2010, 08:05 AM

I see SANDERS as a poor man's Holmes and I like his potential in the passing game

Not impressed with Brown? He has had more than one good return. In exactly one punt return, he got the season long with 21 yards. El hasn't come close to that in several tries. Brown is explosive and a very good open field runner.

Sanders is a better route runner and technical receiver. It is fine to start Sanders if we are actually going to throw him the ball (at least 2-3 times). But, if he is just taking Battle's 3-4 snaps per game, then it is worthless. In that case, I'd rather have the better returner and more experienced kick coverage guy (Brown has made a couple of outstanding tackles - this could be key with Cribbs) in there. Hopefully, Sanders will prove me wrong and take a KO return to the house.
:tt2

Oviedo
10-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Not impressed with Brown? He has had more than one good return. In exactly one punt return, he got the season long with 21 yards. El hasn't come close to that in several tries. Brown is explosive and a very good open field runner.

Sanders is a better route runner and technical receiver. It is fine to start Sanders if we are actually going to throw him the ball (at least 2-3 times). But, if he is just taking Battle's 3-4 snaps per game, then it is worthless. In that case, I'd rather have the better returner and more experienced kick coverage guy (Brown has made a couple of outstanding tackles - this could be key with Cribbs) in there. Hopefully, Sanders will prove me wrong and take a KO return to the house.
:tt2

:Agree If you aren't going to throw the ball to Sanders I'd rather see Brown active for returns.

What this tells me is that they may be planning to use some 4 receiver sets to spread out the Browns defense and Sanders is a better option as the #4 than Battle or Brown. Something to watch for on Sunday.

ramblinjim
10-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I'd like to see Sanders wrestle the #3 WR spot from Randle El. His scouting report said something along the lines of "Quick not fast" iirc, maybe with a couple of months in pro practices and watching pro games he can use that to his advantage and catch a few balls during the game.

flippy
10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
As long as he has honed his craft since the preseason, I'm fine with it. He's needed much improvement after playing a large role in two pick-sixes in the same preseason game...one physical (did not fight for the ball on a comeback on the left sideline for a Dixon pick 6) and one mental (ran the wrong route on the right sideline for a Batch pick 6).

Even as a decoy, he may force a D to pull a safety out of the box.

Just run him on a couple deep routes to open things up underneath.

ikestops85
10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Brown impressed me with his return ability in the pre-season. Sanders, meh, not so much. It was keeping Brown that made me okay with letting Logan go.

I hope Sanders surprises me and breaks off a couple of big ones. :tt2 :tt2

Oviedo
10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Brown impressed me with his return ability in the pre-season. Sanders, meh, not so much. It was keeping Brown that made me okay with letting Logan go.

I hope Sanders surprises me and breaks off a couple of big ones. :tt2 :tt2

From what I have found, he averaged 24 yards per KR as a freshman; 9 yards per punt return as a soph; and 13.8 yards per punt return as a junior in 2009.

Appears to be some skill there but Brown seems like more the natural but from reports is way behind Sanders as a receiver. With Ben coming back and obviously a plan to resurrect the passing game those receiving skills appear to be the deciding factor.

1st and Goal--
10-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Only one Steeler has more ST tackles than A. Brown.

A. Brown with a 31+ KO return avg was actually ahead of Steppin Steffin even after his 105 return last week.

Maybe both will be active.

fordfixer
10-16-2010, 04:36 AM
On the Steelers: Tomlin undecided on kick returns
Saturday, October 16, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10289/1095745-66.stm

It is not often a rookie returner who has an 89-yard kick return for a touchdown on his professional resume is replaced three games later by another rookie who hasn't returned a kickoff since his freshman season in college.

But that's what the Steelers (3-1) are prepared to do when they play the Cleveland Browns (1-4) at 1 p.m. Sunday at Heinz Field, even though coach Mike Tomlin said he hasn't decided whether he will make the move to replace Antonio Brown with Emmanuel Sanders.

If he does, it is not because Tomlin believes Sanders, a third-round draft choice from Southern Methodist University, is a better kick returner than Brown. Rather, it is because the coaches think Sanders is a more accomplished wide receiver than Brown, a sixth-round pick from Central Michigan.

And, with the return of Ben Roethlisberger from his four-game suspension, the Steelers might be more inclined to use Sanders as part of a four-wide receiver formation ---- something they have used sparingly without their two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback.

But Tomlin said after practice Friday that he hasn't decided whether he will use Brown or Sanders and won't make a decision until "90 minutes before kickoff," referring to the time when he has to list his inactive players for the game.

Tomlin also said he won't decide until then who will be his No. 2 quarterback behind Roethlisberger -- Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich, even though Batch has played 10 1/2 of the 16 quarters this season.

Sanders and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Sanders will play against the Browns. Sanders also said he will return kickoffs but that Antwaan Randle El would continue to return punts.

"The opportunity was handed to me and I'm not going to think too much about it," Sanders said. "I'm looking forward to doing returns and playing offense, too, now that Big Ben is back."

Sanders started the season as the No. 4 wide receiver and dressed for the opener against the Atlanta Falcons. However, he injured a quadriceps muscle in that game and was replaced by Brown against the Titans.

The first time Brown touched the ball in an NFL regular-season game, he took the kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown.

"It's been more about special teams up to this point," Arians said. "Emmanuel has been a little ahead [of Brown] in receiving and behind in special teams. And you got three teams to fill. That's what is tricky about the 45-man roster on Sunday."

Then he added, "But this is his week. He'll get a hat this week."

Brown has one catch for 6 yards in three games, but the Steelers have rarely used a four-wide receiver formation in the four games without Roethlisberger.

There are several reasons for that.

One, the Steelers are trying to keep tight end Heath Miller, who usually comes out of the game when there are four wide receivers, on the field as much as possible.

Two, Sanders and Brown are rookies and still learning their assignments.

And, three, Roethlisberger has not been playing.

"I don't know. It's a long story," Brown said about the decision to replace him. "It's up to the coaches. The coaches make decisions. I'm a player. I'm just thankful I'm part of the organization. I know coach [Tomlin] is going to make the right decision to do what's best for the team, to give it the best chance to win. As long as I stay working and stay ready."

NOTES -- Browns Coach Eric Mangini did not say officially on Friday, but it appears rookie quarterback Colt McCoy will start against the Steelers. He has taken most of the first-team snaps in practice this week. ... Also, running back Peyton Hillis (quad), center Alex Mack (shoulder) and guard Floyd Womack (knee) returned to practice and are expected to play.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10289/10 ... z12VcZgcwE (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10289/1095745-66.stm#ixzz12VcZgcwE)

1st and Goal--
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Okay, here is your chance to play coach. These are some of the facts relating to this thread, you play coach and make the decision. But first, some comments.

Contrary to the common perception that Coach Noll was silent for his 23 years in Pittsburgh, he did say 4 or 5 things. Besides, "Whatever it Takes" I also remember him saying "Games are won or lost at the Line of Scrimmage". So I don't suppose I should lose too much sleep over this decision.

But, he also used to say something about paying attention to details.

Now do we have any ST experts here on the board? If so, my question is how valuable is Arnez Battle to these teams. I'm the 1st one to agree with the stats mean nothing crowd so the fact that he has only played 3 downs from scrimmage in 4 games [he did not see the field in the 1st 3 games and played 3 downs in the loss to Baltimore] also he has been credited with 2 tackles on ST's in the 1st 4 games. Now this stuff means nothing because he may be setting up things for others. This is why I cannot play coach and defer to any expert ST gurus to make this decision.

The player in question here is A.Brown. He just happens to be one of the league leaders in KO returns and has actually played more offensive plays in 3 games [Nine] than AB has played in 4.

Hey! I just got the idea of what I'm talking about here. I will now go back and write the opening paragraph. Okay going back.

Okay I'm back from the opening. Well there it is sort of. Your decision as coach is whether or not Brown is the one who is not active or someone else.

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Okay, here is your chance to play coach. These are some of the facts relating to this thread, you play coach and make the decision. But first, some comments.

Contrary to the common perception that Coach Noll was silent for his 23 years in Pittsburgh, he did say 4 or 5 things. Besides, "Whatever it Takes" I also remember him saying "Games are won or lost at the Line of Scrimmage". So I don't suppose I should lose too much sleep over this decision.

But, he also used to say something about paying attention to details.

Now do we have any ST experts here on the board? If so, my question is how valuable is Arnez Battle to these teams. I'm the 1st one to agree with the stats mean nothing crowd so the fact that he has only played 3 downs from scrimmage in 4 games [he did not see the field in the 1st 3 games and played 3 downs in the loss to Baltimore] also he has been credited with 2 tackles on ST's in the 1st 4 games. Now this stuff means nothing because he may be setting up things for others. This is why I cannot play coach and defer to any expert ST gurus to make this decision.

The player in question here is A.Brown. He just happens to be one of the league leaders in KO returns and has actually played more offensive plays in 3 games [Nine] than AB has played in 4.

Hey! I just got the idea of what I'm talking about here. I will now go back and write the opening paragraph. Okay going back.

Okay I'm back from the opening. Well there it is sort of. Your decision as coach is whether or not Brown is the one who is not active or someone else.

I think we'd be good enough with Anthony Madison and Will Allen as our punt team gunners that I would dress Brown and de-activate Battle.

Then I'd have Brown and Sanders back together on KO returns. On punt returns, I'd use Brown, except when the opposing team was trying to pin us deep inside our own 20 with a coffin corner kick (that is the only time I would use Randle El on punt returns at this point in his career...the same way we used Mewelde Moore in those situations instead of Stefan Logan last year...the vet is surehanded and will make good decisions down deep, but is not the return threat in the open field that the rooks are).

1st and Goal--
10-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah, RuthlessBurgher! Sounds good to me.

We gain another deep threat---keep the KO return team which has been very good pretty much intact---Give some added responsibility to players who do have some experience [I think?] at it [Gunner] ---and Brown also stays on the defensive ST's and chases Cribbs around. See y'all Monday!

NorthCoast
10-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I was also thinking along the lines of those suggesting Battle sit. There could be a certain chemistry having both rookies jockeying for PT in a real game. With Sanders and Brown having similar skill sets, let a real game decide who should get more PT based on what they do with their opportunities. It's nice to do well in practices, but everyone knows that some players just don't show in practice. Sit Battle and let the battle begin....