PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB flagged for unpaid real estate loans

fordfixer
10-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Steelers QB flagged for unpaid real estate loans

Published October 13, 2010
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/10/1 ... ate-loans/ (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/10/13/steelers-qb-flagged-unpaid-real-estate-loans/)

DETROIT Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch has been ordered to pay $689,000 and interest in a real estate deal that turned sour in Detroit.

In 2006, Batch personally guaranteed $880,000 in loans granted to Cortland Place LLC for a 60-unit, four-story apartment building. Cortland defaulted two years later and the property was sold for $280,000.

Batch doesn't dispute that he guaranteed the loans. The court case centered on the property's value.

A federal judge said Wednesday that Batch must pay $689,000, plus $370 a day in interest retroactive to last December.

Batch earlier played for the Detroit Lions and Eastern Michigan.

Crash
10-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Wouldn't be the first time Batch was involved in something and money changed hands to make it go away.

:stirpot

Chadman
10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Batch is reprehensable. We should lynch him.

:roll:

Crash
10-14-2010, 01:44 AM
But seriously, if that were Ben on these loans? It would have made front page news about how "entitled" he feels he is.

But Hometown Chaz gets a back page blurb.

Chadman
10-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Did you know that there are thousands..maybe millions of people guilty of not paying their loans...didn't see them reported anywhere in the paper.

The bigger the star, the more brightly we see them.

No surprise at the level of exposure between Ben & Batch. Can't believe you still want to run this campaign.

Crash
10-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Did you know that there are thousands..maybe millions of people guilty of not paying their loans...didn't see them reported anywhere in the paper.

No surprise at the level of exposure between Ben & Batch. Can't believe you still want to run this campaign.

It should be run when people hype Batch as all that is good in the world of football compared to the evil nasty Ben. If anything they should cite Batch as an example of how one CAN CHANGE, and be a community asset after questionable behavior off the field.

Fans who think Ben can't change should be educated on the life and times of one Charlie Batch, both on and off the field during his career.

But they'd rather portray Batch as someone totally different from Ben, just because he's a local kid. But the truth is Batch and Ben, are a lot more alike than they are different away from Heinz Field.

Ben hasn't paid a dime to his accusers.

Can't say the same for the people in Charlie's Las Vegas adventure.

Chadman
10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
You know, Chadman has never read a Ben is evil, Batch is practically Jesus story. If anything- the fact that such a petty 'crime' was reported at all as this one here with St Charles is an indication that the media is prepared to report all footballers foibles.

if this was front page news- Charlie Batch doesn't pay his loans!- wouldn't we call it overkill & move on?

Crash
10-14-2010, 02:04 AM
You know, Chadman has never read a Ben is evil, Batch is practically Jesus story.

Then Crash says Chadman really doesn't read much Steelers info outside of this board. :)

Chadman
10-14-2010, 02:05 AM
You know, Chadman has never read a Ben is evil, Batch is practically Jesus story.

Then Crash says Chadman really doesn't read much Steelers info outside of this board. :)

Chadman is at a distinct disadvantage there...not much Steeler news in the Brisbane papers this time of year.. :D

Shawn
10-14-2010, 02:54 AM

:nono

Only the Chadman may refer to himself in the third person.

:D

papillon
10-14-2010, 06:28 AM
But seriously, if that were Ben on these loans? It would have made front page news about how "entitled" he feels he is.

Are you seriously going to try and paint Batch as some anti-christ simply to try and boost the image of Ben? These continued attempts to knock down others rather than trying to lift Ben up make Ben look worse than anyone actually believes. Give it a rest for awhile and see how the media treats Ben.

You'll see this weekend how the fans feel about Ben and you're going to like what you see and hear. The "mediots" don't count, they have to report a story and the story will be Ben is back from suspension for violating the personal conduct policies of the NFL. So, you'll hear it and hopefully, this will be the last weekend we hear about it. Unless, of course, Ben does something stupid in his personal life yet again.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
10-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Are you seriously going to try and paint Batch as some anti-christ simply to try and boost the image of Ben? These continued attempts to knock down others rather than trying to lift Ben up make Ben look worse than anyone actually believes. Give it a rest for awhile and see how the media treats Ben.

You'll see this weekend how the fans feel about Ben and you're going to like what you see and hear. The "mediots" don't count, they have to report a story and the story will be Ben is back from suspension for violating the personal conduct policies of the NFL. So, you'll hear it and hopefully, this will be the last weekend we hear about it. Unless, of course, Ben does something stupid in his personal life yet again.

Pappy

That Charlie Batch is the devil. :lol:

steelblood
10-14-2010, 08:09 AM

It should be run when people hype Batch as all that is good in the world of football compared to the evil nasty Ben. If anything they should cite Batch as an example of how one CAN CHANGE, and be a community asset after questionable behavior off the field.

Fans who think Ben can't change should be educated on the life and times of one Charlie Batch, both on and off the field during his career.

But they'd rather portray Batch as someone totally different from Ben, just because he's a local kid. But the truth is Batch and Ben, are a lot more alike than they are different away from Heinz Field.

Ben hasn't paid a dime to his accusers.

Can't say the same for the people in Charlie's Las Vegas adventure.

You have absolutely no way of knowing if Ben reached a private settlement with his accuser. I'm not saying he did, but these types of arrangements are common when wealthy/high profile people are involved. In fact, many attorneys with whom I've spoken believe that it is very possible and say that this may be why the accuser "changed her mind" about cooperating with the DA. Even if Ben paid her, that doesn't mean that he did it or did exactly what she claimed.

You are on tilt against all that made suppositions about Ben yet you are guilty of making unfounded suppositions yourself.

Notleadpoisoned
10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Doing a real estate deal in a Third World City like Detroit probably wasn't a smart move in the first place.

phillyesq
10-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Crash - according to the article, Batch acknowledged the debt. The issue in the court case was the value. It has nothing to do with entitlement or anything else.

This was simply a poor real estate investment. The same thing happened with Dawson recently (on a much larger scale), and I want to say Mark Brunell as well, but I'm not 100% sure. There are lots of stories like this, given the real estate collapse.

Your paranoia here is reaching epic proportions.

Steelers>NFL
10-14-2010, 09:02 AM
This is not even about Ben, and yet his name is brought up! Why... :roll:
It is about CB, and his bad investments.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 09:21 AM
wow... an NFL player made a bad investment. I'm shocked. This story should have ran right after the Tampa Bay game because America needs to know who they are voting for... Oops, I meant cheering for.

C'mon America... is this the kind of guy you want representing the Steeler's in Ben's absence? The housing industry is booming in Detroit and Batch is known to be very shady character? I bet this was a brothel and not an apartment complex.

WWBD guys... WWBD. :cry:

aggiebones
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Batch gets a back page because he's a B list player, not A list.
Geez, are you that loose in the head?
Example:
If Brad Pitt gets a divorce, its a big tabloid thing. If Jason Alexander gets divorce, noone knows. Frankly, I don't know if Alexander is or has ever been married. But when at the checkout line, you will learn all about Pitt just from standing there. See how that works? Some people generate news and some don't. The fact that there is even an article about it, is surprising to me.

Ben is A list Batch was B list and is now C list.

On a side note from that lesson, I wonder if Bettis got caught in this. I know he was investing a good bit in Detroit. And from the looks of Detroit, not much may come of it.

Crash
10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
You have absolutely no way of knowing if Ben reached a private settlement with his accuser.

Ben basically called her a liar last week. I think that would violate any "settlement agreement" they would have, no?

Crash
10-14-2010, 12:59 PM
You are on tilt against all that made suppositions about Ben yet you are guilty of making unfounded suppositions yourself.

Um, it's a fact that Batch's accuser was paid off.

It's also a fact that unlike when DA Bright said that he didn't have probable cause in the Ben case, the DA in the Batch case said he believed that crimes did occur.

phillyesq
10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
You have absolutely no way of knowing if Ben reached a private settlement with his accuser.

Ben basically called her a liar last week. I think that would violate any "settlement agreement" they would have, no?

A private settlement agreement can say whatever the parties so choose. Some bar the parties from discussing the mater, others don't.

Crash
10-14-2010, 01:10 PM

A private settlement agreement can say whatever the parties so choose. Some bar the parties from discussing the mater, others don't.

What do you think that settlement agreement would say if they had one?

He paid no one. Doesn't have to. The accuser and her family stopped talking to police once they asked for DNA samples from inside her mouth.

I think we both can figure out why.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Did he call her a liar? :stirpot

people pay settlements to protect their wealth and their brand. Part of protecting their brand is making sure they can still give sound bites that paint them in a positive light.

If Ben says she lied it's one thing.. saying people don't know all the facts and it didn't happen the way we think isn't the same as saying "SHE IS A LIAR"

not saying Ben paid but if you are using terms like basically... it proves nothing and you are putting your own interpretation on the story.

Crash
10-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Based on what Ben has said in prior interviews, I believe he has not paid anyone off.

Unlike Ray Lewis. Unlike those in the Batch case.

How's that?

sd steel
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Based on what Ben has said in prior interviews, I believe he has not paid anyone off.

How's that?

I believe that is your opinion.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
That Charlie Batch is the devil. :lol:

Mama says "fools balls" is the devil. School is the devil. Vicky Valencourt is the devil.
And, of course, Ben Franklin is the devil. :evil: :twisted:

ikestops85
10-14-2010, 01:30 PM
I think Charlie Batch is GAWD!! :moon

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 02:49 PM

How's that?

I believe that is your opinion.

Now you know Crash's opinion is fact :wink:

fordfixer
10-14-2010, 07:16 PM

The thread is about Charlie Batch Not Ben please stay on topic.

skyhawk
10-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I think Crash is a knowledgeable guy. I have been reading his posts for the past 9 years.

But then again, perhaps CRASH is BEN.

skyhawk
10-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I think Crash is a knowledgeable guy. I have been reading his posts for the past 9 years.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2010, 08:48 PM

More likely, CRASH is MARK MADDEN. I can't think of anyone else who is more maniacly "Big Ben Godsend can do no wrong" and "Whines Hard is the anti-Christ" than those two.

AngryAsian
10-15-2010, 12:30 AM

That's impossible. MSM is Ben.

SteelAbility
10-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Can we just go ahead and re-title this post "Darth Charlie versus Master Ben?" (or vice-versa) :P

SteelBucks
10-15-2010, 10:36 AM

More likely, CRASH is MARK MADDEN. I can't think of anyone else who is more maniacly "Big Ben Godsend can do no wrong" and "Whines Hard is the anti-Christ" than those two.

That's been my prediction since the Trib days. All we need now is for Pete to join the board and things will really get jumping here.....

Scarletfire1970
10-15-2010, 11:30 AM

people pay settlements to protect their wealth and their brand. Part of protecting their brand is making sure they can still give sound bites that paint them in a positive light.

If Ben says she lied it's one thing.. saying people don't know all the facts and it didn't happen the way we think isn't the same as saying "SHE IS A LIAR"

not saying Ben paid but if you are using terms like basically... it proves nothing and you are putting your own interpretation on the story.Settlement or no settlement, Ben's brand name is ruined. So I don't think that would be a reason to settle.

feltdizz
10-15-2010, 12:00 PM

not saying Ben paid but if you are using terms like basically... it proves nothing and you are putting your own interpretation on the story.Settlement or no settlement, Ben's brand name is ruined. So I don't think that would be a reason to settle.

It's definitely a reason to settle. Most people don't get the chance to settle before the news hits the stands... they take the initial hit to their name but the story goes away a lot faster. The Yinzers wanted Ben gone when the news hit... he is already getting cheers and will get a standing O when he takes the field. It's only been 6 months and the public has already done a 180.

Was Kobe's brand ruined? He settled in Colorado and everyone thought it was over for him.

I know it looks like Ben's brand is ruined... lets be honest, he didn't really have much of a brand to begin with.. but if he has a great season this year I bet 2 years from now this story will be a blip on the radar.

I'm not saying Ben paid her but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Crash
10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
And I'm saying, based on what *I* know, is that he didn't pay her a dime.

Period.

ikestops85
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Felt, I agree that Ben's rep will be back in 2 or 3 years if he keeps performing on the field like he has in the past and obviously keeps his name out of any off field scandalous activities.

Ben is going to go down as the best QB in Steelers history and one of the best in the history of the league. Mark it down

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10656/CaptureWiz039.jpg

NJ-STEELER
10-15-2010, 07:35 PM
i'll wait for the paper to publish
why does charlie think he's above paying loans and cover charges

LOL