PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise/Dissapointment thus far?

jj28west
10-13-2010, 08:38 PM
I thought Lawrence would improve but not look this outstanding.

Melwelde Moore hasnt shown much IMO. (Maybe injured or personel problems?)

Sep also I feel must go! He is the biggest waste of a roster spo....just joking :)

papillon
10-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Biggest Surprise: The 3-1 record
Biggest Disappointment: Not being 4-0 and having the game in hand

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I thought Lawrence would improve but not look this outstanding.

Lawrence Timmons has played at a Pro Bowl level through the first 4 games, I might consider him as the most pleasant surprise so far this season along with Maurkice Pouncey. I knew Pouncey would be good but not this quickly...

My disappointment would have to be the way the defense let Flacco go 4-4 for 40 yards with the greatest of ease....I was hoping our D was better than that.

Ozey74
10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Biggest surprise is how good Gay has looked in Nickel. I'm not really disappointed in anything at this point. McFadden biting on the Flacco pump fake on the Ravens TD at the end of the Ravens game was disappointing, but overall I'm happy.

If we let the Brown stains score more than 10 on Sunday will be disappointing.

:brownssuck

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
My biggest surprise would be Pouncey. I have to admit,..i underestimated the kid's will to be great. He should be followed by screaming villagers wielding various Farm tools and torches.

Biggest Disappointment. Well,.. not really a disappointment,..(as we all know that it was never properly addressed,)....would be the play of the secondary outside of Troy when our front seven fail to be disruptive. I still think our corners and Clark have great potential to be "had" if a quality offense sets their minds to go after them for 4 quarters.

winwithd
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree about the secondary. They seem to get lit up in the fourth quarter. I have been wondering ever since it started happening last year during the losing streak what would happen if a team really went after them from the start. Fortunately for us the other teams keep trying run the ball for the first three quarters. We may find out when they play the Saints or Marsha and the Patsies.

Surprise: People around the country and ESPN ranking the Steelers #1.
Arians actually using a fullback at times. What does not surprise me is the success that it has had, but I am surprised that BA has appeared to have conceded his stubbornness and is willing to do something that works and instead of continuing to do things that don't work.

Disappointment: Dixon never really got a chance to show what he was capable of. Bonehead Arians had him shackled pretty tight and then that freak injury and they shut him down. (I thought we would be 3-1 at this point but more because Dixon and the offense was doing better and not because the defense was carrying them.)
The last two minutes of the Ratbirds game.

Chadman
10-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Biggest surprise- That teams firstly haven't sent 'the house' after QB's 3 & 4 in the first 4 games. If Chadman was a the D-Coordinators for opponants 1 through to 4, it would be reassessment time. Secondly, that offensive coordinators haven't gone Patriots on the Steelers & used the spread offense early & often. At no time in the last 5 years or so have the Steelers looked completely comfortable when forced into pass coverage situations. The Steelers D can still be exposed by short, sharp passing attacks- yet few teams even attempt it. Now THAT is surprising.

Biggest disappointment- That Mike Tomlin looks set on "running the wheels off" of Mendy. If the result of this tactic on Willie Parker wasn't enough to convince Tomlin to spread the touches at RB, then he's either really stubborn & refuses to aknowledge his short comings, or he is.....short sighted & can't see them. Either isn't good. Redman, moore or Dwyer should be getting around 10 carries a game to ease the load on Mendy.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Biggest surprise: 3-1

Biggest disappointment: Not being 4-0! Seriously, even with Troy and Smith back, LeBeau seems to have no answer for pass defense if our front guys don't get to the QB. I guess it's a function of the skill level of other backs besides Troy? Anyway, since our front guys can't get to the QB EVERY play, there's a decent chance we could lose any game we are not more than 2 scores up in the last 5 or 10 minutes. I first noticed it in the 4th qrtr of Superbowl XLIII, and it hasn't seemed to have gotten much better - uggh.

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
I agree about the secondary. They seem to get lit up in the fourth quarter. I have been wondering ever since it started happening last year during the losing streak what would happen if a team really went after them from the start. Fortunately for us the other teams keep trying run the ball for the first three quarters. We may find out when they play the Saints or Marsha and the Patsies.

Surprise: People around the country and ESPN ranking the Steelers #1.
Arians actually using a fullback at times. What does not surprise me is the success that it has had, but I am surprised that BA has appeared to have conceded his stubbornness and is willing to do something that works and instead of continuing to do things that don't work.

Disappointment: Dixon never really got a chance to show what he was capable of. Bonehead Arians had him shackled pretty tight and then that freak injury and they shut him down. (I thought we would be 3-1 at this point but more because Dixon and the offense was doing better and not because the defense was carrying them.)
The last two minutes of the Ratbirds game.

Got to disagree on the disappointment. Dixon showed us exactly what he could do and it had nothing to do with Arians. The entire coaching staff knew exactly what his limitations were but I guess blaming Arians can cover up for alot of player defieciencies.

grotonsteel
10-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Biggest Surprise - None (Expected them to be 3-1)

Biggest Disappointment - Late TD to Flacco. Flashes of 2009 season.

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Biggest Surprise - None (Expected them to be 3-1)

Biggest Disappointment - Late TD to Flacco. Flashes of 2009 season.

I have to agree with your disappointment. Same tactic used against us with the same result and Troy and Aaron were in the line up so can't use that as an reason it happened again.

I was cautiously optimistic that having Troy there would prevent that but that didn't seem to stop it from happening again.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Biggest surprise: With Troy and Aaron back the D was still torched when it was crunch time.

Biggest disappointment: being 3-1 when we were 1 minute from 4-0.

SidSmythe
10-14-2010, 11:02 AM
BIGGEST SURPRISE: Being 3-1 w/ an anemic offense. I thought 2-2 at best and Charlie Batch would have to step in and have at a career game for that to happen.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Ryan Clark's lack of big play ability. TWO TIMES this year (1 vs. Titans and 1 vs. Ravens) he had opportunity to pick off a ball in the seam but instead was looking to decapitate the WR. Big hits are nice, but they aren't game changers like Interceptions.

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Why is it so hard for people to realize that LeBeau took a chance with pressure against the Ravens and it didn't work.

If it did then the players are heroes. It didn't so "oh no this is 2009 all over again".

:roll:

Some of y'all seem to know so much about the game...so act like it.

Sometimes plays work and sometimes they don't.

proudpittsburgher
10-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Why is it so hard for people to realize that LeBeau took a chance with pressure against the Ravens and it didn't work.

If it did then the players are heroes. It didn't so "oh no this is 2009 all over again".

I tend to agree with you, d. We hold Matt Ryan, who many believe to be an above average QB, to 252 yards and keep him out of the end zone, hold Young/Collins to a combined 215 yards (many of them after we decide to go into prevent after being up two scores), hold Josh Freeman/Johnson to 250 yards (again, many of them coming after we were up by a lot late) and Flacco the great to 256 with targets like Heap/Bolden/Mason/Whosyourmomma). And we do this with very little offensive output, sans the Tampa game. I just can't see how the defense is any sort of disappointment to the season. I would actually go as far as to say they have been our strength despite one bad coverage play on the housh TD.

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 01:49 PM

I tend to agree with you, d. We hold Matt Ryan, who many believe to be an above average QB, to 252 yards and keep him out of the end zone, hold Young/Collins to a combined 215 yards (many of them after we decide to go into prevent after being up two scores), hold Josh Freeman/Johnson to 250 yards (again, many of them coming after we were up by a lot late) and Flacco the great to 256 with targets like Heap/Bolden/Mason/Whosyourmomma). And we do this with very little offensive output, sans the Tampa game. I just can't see how the defense is any sort of disappointment to the season. I would actually go as far as to say they have been our strength despite one bad coverage play on the housh TD.

Exactly.

sentinel33
10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
yeah. the Defense is totally sick this year.

Biggest Dissapointment-Reed looking like he's pulling the same choke artist move as in 2009. last year chicago. this year atlanta and baltimore. i'm not saying he has to make every 40-45+ yarder, but you gotta give me 50/50. i mean, isnt he playing on a 1 year contract? WTF Jeff???Kicking your drunk, 31 year old @$$ right out of the league. if we have a lockout he could be all but forgoten. 32 years old and waisted. Nice Jeff. you used to be good.

Biggest Surprise-Timmons. I had almost lost hope on the kid. took a year longer than i thought it would. but man that kid can play. geez

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 02:02 PM

I don't think anyone is panicking but there is reason to be slightly uncomfortable because that play that lost the ravens game was eerily similar to the many plays that happened last year. The opponent max protects and the rush is nulified and then there are breakdowns in coverage resulting in late game loses.

No panic but you have to believe our future opponents were paying attention.

ikestops85
10-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Biggest Surprise - The Pouncey Effect. What a difference it makes not to have the center of the line crumble like the last few years. This guy has come out of college and is a beast.

Biggest Disappointment - ARE returning punts. Why have Brown on the team if we aren't going to use his ability? I haven't checked it out but we have to be near the bottom on punt return yards.

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
yeah. the Defense is totally sick this year.

Biggest Dissapointment-Reed looking like he's pulling the same choke artist move as in 2009. last year chicago. this year atlanta and baltimore. i'm not saying he has to make every 40-45+ yarder, but you gotta give me 50/50. i mean, isnt he playing on a 1 year contract? WTF Jeff???Kicking your drunk, 31 year old @$$ right out of the league. if we have a lockout he could be all but forgoten. 32 years old and waisted. Nice Jeff. you used to be good.

Biggest Surprise-Timmons. I had almost lost hope on the kid. took a year longer than i thought it would. but man that kid can play. geez

Timmons was actually very good last year. Look at his stats. Despite playing hurt and missing a few games he definitely arrived last year.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
[quote="stlrz d":19ant5wd]Why is it so hard for people to realize that LeBeau took a chance with pressure against the Ravens and it didn't work.

Exactly.[/quote:19ant5wd]

I don't think anyone is disappointed with the D as a whole.. people are disappointed that in the last minute of the game Flacco went 4-4 and threw the winning TD in 32 seconds.

It's reminiscent of last year...

papillon
10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
[quote="stlrz d":30gh7pfk]Why is it so hard for people to realize that LeBeau took a chance with pressure against the Ravens and it didn't work.

Exactly.

I don't think anyone is disappointed with the D as a whole.. people are disappointed that in the last minute of the game Flacco went 4-4 and threw the winning TD in 32 seconds.

It's reminiscent of last year...[/quote:30gh7pfk]

Eerily reminiscent and I hope I never see it again this year. There are going to be plenty of late game leads that are going to need to be protected. If the defense holds on and the Steelers win those games they will be very difficult to beat.

Pappy

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Pay close attention here:

Teams last year *drove the entire length of the field on us* in very short periods of time.

This year the D has been lights out and carried us to a 3-1 record without our franchise QB. The Ravens (who are a pretty good team) drove 40 yards. Not the entire length of the field. LeBeau brought pressure and it was picked up. Housh burned BMac on a double move. It happens.

The only thing it was reminiscent of is hundreds of football plays that take place each and every week.

skyhawk
10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Biggest surprise:

3-1 instead of 2-2 or 1-3.

Disappointment:

None.

Least surprised at Pouncey's play after watching him play in the preseason.

papillon
10-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Teams last year *drove the entire length of the field on us* in very short periods of time.

This year the D has been lights out and carried us to a 3-1 record without our franchise QB. The Ravens (who are a pretty good team) drove 40 yards. Not the entire length of the field. LeBeau brought pressure and it was picked up. Housh burned BMac on a double move. It happens.

The only thing it was reminiscent of is hundreds of football plays that take place each and every week.

It's the same MO:

Special teams gaffe (Holding or unnecessary roughness to give the Ravens 10 free yards is a mistake and reminiscent of last year)
Defensive lapses (giving up two outs and the Ravens having no timeouts is a mental mistake and last year there were plenty of those)
Opponent scores the necessary points to win (Same as last year, all too often)

I hope you're right and it's just a 4 play series that happens all the time in the NFL. But, even with Ben, the defense is going to have hold a lead late in the game that Ben has given them or has built over the course of the game; I hope they're up to the task. They weren't against the Ravens.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 02:39 PM

WE DON'T CARE about the length or the hundreds of football plays that take place each year.

WR's drop passes... but if Sweed gets another chance and drops an easy TD pass we will go ape sh!t.

It wasn't the length of the field it was the ease in which Flacco scored. 4 plays.. all completed, 2 easily by the side lines to stop the clock followed by the easy TD. That is disappointing to some.

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM

WE DON'T CARE about the length or the hundreds of football plays that take place each year.

WR's drop passes... but if Sweed gets another chance and drops an easy TD pass we will go ape sh!t.

It wasn't the length of the field it was the ease in which Flacco scored. 4 plays.. all completed, 2 easily by the side lines to stop the clock followed by the easy TD. That is disappointing to some.

:Agree It is something to watch and hopefully find the solution we couldn't last year. No one is condemning the defense but no one should be acting like an ostrich either.

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Who's an ostrich? I watch the games. I see what this D has done. They've carried us to 3-1 w/out our franchise QB.

If anything I would say this D is "eerily reminiscent" of 2008. :lol:

What would our offense's inability to do anything with not one, but two, turnovers be "eerily reminiscent" of? :lol:

Bottom line is that the D has played spectacularly this season and anyone who is disappointed in their performance has completely unrealistic standards.

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Who's an ostrich? I watch the games. I see what this D has done. They've carried us to 3-1 w/out our franchise QB.

If anything I would say this D is "eerily reminiscent" of 2008. :lol:

What would our offense's inability to do anything with not one, but two, turnovers be "eerily reminiscent" of? :lol:

Bottom line is that the D has played spectacularly this season and anyone who is disappointed in their performance has completely unrealistic standards.

completely unrealistic standards

Well that pretty much includes everyone on this board :wink:

Everyone has unrealistic standards about the defense, offense, Arians, Timmons, rookies and young players, etc.

Everyone who posts here is unrealistic about something.

MeetJoeGreene
10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Biggest Surprise: Batch's game against Tampa.
Biggest Disappointment: Batch's game against Baltimore

Biggest Surprise: Skippy getting some kick offs in the endzone.
Biggest Disappointment: Skippy missing more field goals than he used to.

Biggest Surprise: Pouncey
Biggest Disappointment: ARE Punt returns.

flippy
10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Biggest Surprise - Hotel and Legursky, Reed's kickoffs, Danny S's punts, Coverage, Keeping almost all of our rooks

Biggest Disappointment - ARE is still ahead of Sanders, We didn't go 4-0 to start

NJ-STEELER
10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
nobody on flozell, who many thought would be released once we went to 53? goes to show how average colon really was and not "top 3 RT" like his agent suggests

surprise - pouncey. didn't think he be this good this early on

disaapointment - CBs vs baltimore. raven WRs were wide open all day long and skippy

edit...didn't see flip's reply

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Biggest Surprise - Hotel and Legursky, Reed's kickoffs, Danny S's punts, Coverage, Keeping almost all of our rooks

Biggest Disappointment - ARE is still ahead of Sanders, We didn't go 4-0 to start
:Agree
Kick coverage and keeping all our rookies...

DkBlue
10-14-2010, 06:42 PM
The overall improvement of the offensive line has been a pleasant surprise.

The disappointment and as one poster mentioned, it started in the fourth quarter of the SB, is the defense playing off and giving up key plays in the fourth quarter. It continued through 2009 and was evident against the Ravens.

I realize LeBau is the guru but not having Troy patrolling the end zone seemed to be a mistake.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Surprise: Surviving numerous injuries, dehydration, etc. along the offensive line in two extraordinarily hot September games in Southern cities while wearing black jerseys, which forced us to play musical chairs along the OL where multiple players were forced to play multiple positions in the same game (with the exception of the one guy who played every snap of those games...and he was a rookie). Kudos to Koogs. Big time.

Disappointment: Having to trade a dumb@$$ twittering pothead for below market value. Having to cut guys that I thought were promising prospects when we drafted them (Burnett, Urbik, Harris, etc.), who should have progressed more coming into their second year in the league. Having to put up with way too much off the field drama (hopefully now that has all passed).

williar
10-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Surprise - That we dominated the titans in hot Tennessee. I was sure that one was going to go in the loss column.

Disappointment - Add me to the how bad we sucked ass in the last 2 minutes of the ravens game list. Still can't get that bitter taste of defeat out of my mouth. The game still worries me because IMO a truly elite team would have found a way to win that game.

SteelAbility
10-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Biggest Surprise: Batch's game against Tampa.
Biggest Disappointment: Batch's game against Baltimore

Biggest Surprise: Skippy getting some kick offs in the endzone.
Biggest Disappointment: Skippy missing more field goals than he used to.

Biggest Surprise: Pouncey
Biggest Disappointment: ARE Punt returns.

What punt returns? :wink:

SteelAbility
10-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Biggest Surprise: Reed missing two consecutive FGs.
Biggest Dissapointment: Reed missing two consecutive FGs.

frankthetank1
10-16-2010, 11:15 AM

:Agree

i will take losing like that any day opposed to playing prevent, rushing 3 guys and get dinked and dunked. at least that way if the D gives up the TD the offense has more time to work with. if flacco is sacked the game was over. im sure if the ravens had timeout's lebeau would have played a little differently