PDA

View Full Version : Let fans have referendum on Ben before he takes a snap

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Let fans have referendum on Roethlisberger before he takes a snap

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2010
WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

It is the expressed belief of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was suspended four games for violating the NFL personal conduct policy, will be greeted in a cordial fashion by fans when he returns to play Sunday at Heinz Field.

''I expect him to get a warm reception. I really do," Tomlin said at his press conference yesterday. ''I really think that's the nature of Steeler Nation. I know we're excited about having him back. I know he's excited about getting back with his teammates and performing for our fans at Heinz Field."

If that's what Tomlin believes, and I'm not doubting him, he should put his money where his mouth is. He should have Roethlisberger individually introduced with the rest of the offense before the Steelers-Cleveland Browns game.

Teams have a choice as to which unit is introduced individually before home games. In the Steelers first two games, the defense was introduced. The offense should be introduced Sunday to allow the fans a referendum on Roethlisberger before he throws his first pass, before he takes his first snap.

The guess here is Roethlisberger will get the warm reception Tomlin expects.

There are a couple of reasons for that.

Roethlisberger is the key to the remainder of the season. If he's performing up to his normal standards, the Steelers are not just a team with a chance to win the Super Bowl, they're one of the favorites. The fans don't want to mess that up by failing to send Ben the proper measure of love and with that the possibility of throwing him off his game.

That's not to say there won't be some in the crowd of about 65,000 that still bear malice toward Roethlisberger. They believe his suspension, the result of a rowdy night in Georgia in March when there were suggestions of sexual assault, was a slap on the wrist.

But the majority of that small group will be willing to put their personal feelings aside for the good of the team.

But beyond wishing to put Roethlisberger in a good mood is the belief, as Tomlin suggested, that Steeler fans -- and few are more dedicated than the season-ticket holders who attend home games -- truly believe Roethlisberger is attempting to rehabilitate himself.

We won't know for years and maybe never if Roethlisberger is putting on a good act in an attempt to impress commissioner Roger Goodell, the man who suspended him, the Steelers fans and the general public. But a fair-minded person -- and most people are that -- is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's why Tomlin should get it over with early and allow the crowd to express its feeling about Roethlisberger before he plays a down. Once he starts playing, he's pretty much just another quarterback. If he plays poorly, the fans will let him know about it, and it will have nothing to do with his personal behavior and everything to do with his football behavior.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/25588-tomlin-should-allow-referendum-on-roethlisberger-before-he-takes-a-snap

hawaiiansteel
10-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Group Plans Protest Of Roethlisberger Before Steelers Game

October 14, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- One group told Channel 4 Action News that it's planning to protest quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's return to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.
Sarah Ainirial told Action News reporter Marcie Cipriani that she and her group are planning a tailgate protest outside Heinz Field before the Steelers game against the Cleveland Browns at 1 p.m.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/2010/1004/25275853_240X180.jpg

"We're just a group of Pittsburghers who aren't OK with what happened and aren't OK with Big Ben being brought back to the field," said Ainirial.

Ainirial said Roethlisberger's four-game suspension after a sexual assault allegation by a 20-year-old Georgia college student was too lenient and sends the wrong message.

"Players are supposed to conduct themselves in a certain manor. Players have been traded and cut from teams for things such as DUIs, drug use, bar fights. So why is it when someone is accused of assault they're just given a suspension? That's not OK. That's not adequate and we feel as though a lot of it is because of what a valuable player Ben Roethlisberger is," said Ainirial.

Roethlisberger was never charged in the case.

Cipriani reported that Heinz Field officials said security will check fans and confiscate any vulgar or inappropriate material targeting Roethlisberger or any other player.
Pittsburgh police said they are aware of the protest plans and said a decision will be made Friday on whether or not more officers will be needed, Cipriani reported.

Police said the group does not have a permit to march.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/25394718/detail.html)

SteelCrazy
10-15-2010, 12:55 AM

"We're just a group of Pittsburghers who aren't OK with what happened and aren't OK with Big Ben being brought back to the field," said Ainirial.

Ainirial said Roethlisberger's four-game suspension after a sexual assault allegation by a 20-year-old Georgia college student was too lenient and sends the wrong message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish I were able to go to this game.....I would seek out this small group and let them know how stupid I think they are for believing media hype and not knowing the facts.

Oviedo
10-15-2010, 07:29 AM

October 14, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- One group told Channel 4 Action News that it's planning to protest quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's return to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.
Sarah Ainirial told Action News reporter Marcie Cipriani that she and her group are planning a tailgate protest outside Heinz Field before the Steelers game against the Cleveland Browns at 1 p.m.

"Players are supposed to conduct themselves in a certain manor. Players have been traded and cut from teams for things such as DUIs, drug use, bar fights. So why is it when someone is accused of assault they're just given a suspension? That's not OK. That's not adequate and we feel as though a lot of it is because of what a valuable player Ben Roethlisberger is," said Ainirial.

Cipriani reported that Heinz Field officials said security will check fans and confiscate any vulgar or inappropriate material targeting Roethlisberger or any other player.
Pittsburgh police said they are aware of the protest plans and said a decision will be made Friday on whether or not more officers will be needed, Cipriani reported.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/25394718/detail.html)

Perhaps Sarah Anal-irial should take note that Ben was not charged or convicted on anything. Perhaps she should be arrested for disturbing the peace with no justification. Isn't that exactly what she is doing to Ben?

Just another loser trying to draw attention to themselves. I wish I was there so I could shout this loser down.

stlrz d
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM

October 14, 2010

Perhaps Sarah Anal-irial should take note that Ben was not charged or convicted on anything. Perhaps she should be arrested for disturbing the peace with no justification. Isn't that exactly what she is doing to Ben?

Just another loser trying to draw attention to themselves. I wish I was there so I could shout this loser down.

Based on what I've been seeing and hearing there will be plenty of people there who will be shutting these losers down.

Oviedo
10-15-2010, 11:55 AM

October 14, 2010

Based on what I've been seeing and hearing there will be plenty of people there who will be shutting these losers down.

Need to surround her with about a dozen vuvuzuelas (horns from South Africa). My daughter just got one of those things and if that doesn't drive you insane and drive you away nothing will.

Eich
10-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Don't you just love people who will protest when they DON'T know what happened? No one but Ben and DTF really knows what happened. What we DO know is that there was no probable cause to charge Ben with anything. So, why would anyone go out of their way to potentially further tarnish the reputation of someone who - more than likely - was falsely accused? It's nearly a 100% lock that Ben did not rape the girl, which is what he was accused of.

"Players are supposed to conduct themselves in a certain manor. Players have been traded and cut from teams for things such as DUIs, drug use, bar fights.

Players with multiple DUI's have also had NOTHING done to them. Same with bar fights. So, I don't get this argument.

So why is it when someone is accused of assault they're just given a suspension? That's not OK.

Key word: ACCUSED. Anyone on earth can be ACCUSED. Someone at the game should ACCUSE her of something.

Oviedo
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
[quote]

Don't you just love people who will protest when they DON'T know what happened? No one but Ben and DTF really knows what happened. What we DO know is that there was no probable cause to charge Ben with anything. So, why would anyone go out of their way to potentially further tarnish the reputation of someone who - more than likely - was falsely accused? It's nearly a 100% lock that Ben did not rape the girl, which is what he was accused of.

"Players are supposed to conduct themselves in a certain manor. Players have been traded and cut from teams for things such as DUIs, drug use, bar fights.

Players with multiple DUI's have also had NOTHING done to them. Same with bar fights. So, I don't get this argument.

So why is it when someone is accused of assault they're just given a suspension? That's not OK.

Key word: ACCUSED. Anyone on earth can be ACCUSED.[/quote:19z88gnc]

I'm officially accusing her of being an attention seeking bigot and moron. She is clearly a man hater.

grotonsteel
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Need to surround her with about a dozen vuvuzuelas (horns from South Africa). My daughter just got one of those things and if that doesn't drive you insane and drive you away nothing will.

Vuvuzela sound was irritating while watching soccer world cup on television.....i just can't imagine the sound of vuvuzela in a stadium...

steelblood
10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, we should protest the gentleman who admits that he has acted poorly and is trying to become a better person! Even though it is very unclear whether he actually committed a crime, we should continue with this witch hunt until we are contacted by the Martians and told it is time for our kool-aid and nap.

Snatch98
10-15-2010, 04:10 PM
The group protesting will be run out of the tail gate area. Add in alcohol and a bunch of people stoked for Ben's return. I'll give the ridiculous group one hour before they pack up and send off and truthfully the only reason they likely alerted the media was to protect themselves.

DkBlue
10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
There was bound to be something like this. Hopefully it is just ignored and things will go on as normal.

:Boobs

skyhawk
10-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Doesn't she realize that he was suspended for SIX games. The FIRST time that's ever happened to an uncharged player.

I don't get it. A six game suspension is hardly a slap on the wrist folks. :HeadBanger

frankthetank1
10-16-2010, 11:10 AM
The group protesting will be run out of the tail gate area. Add in alcohol and a bunch of people stoked for Ben's return. I'll give the ridiculous group one hour before they pack up and send off and truthfully the only reason they likely alerted the media was to protect themselves.

i think you are right. doing something as stupid as protesting ben is asking for some serious trouble. i would rather be sporting a josh cribbs jersey to the game than holding up a gay sign and protesting the return of ben. are these steeler fans? you dont do something like that if you are a steeler fan imo. its not like ben was killing dogs or anything.

SteelAbility
10-16-2010, 11:24 AM
[quote]

Key word: ACCUSED. Anyone on earth can be ACCUSED. Someone at the game should ACCUSE her of something.[/quote:33ykvjy9]

Ben was given a suspension for supplying alcohol to minors ... technically. Nonetheless, I think these protesters are out of line, so to speak. A lot of women just naturally assume guilt when there's a rape charge. The truth is the sword swings both ways. Which is why we have due process.

Forgetting probable cause, the main thing that cleared Ben beyond doubt, in my mind, was watching the released tapes and hearing this girl talk as though she has so not been devastated by rape.

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2010, 01:43 PM

i think you are right. doing something as stupid as protesting ben is asking for some serious trouble. i would rather be sporting a josh cribbs jersey to the game than holding up a gay sign and protesting the return of ben. are these steeler fans? you dont do something like that if you are a steeler fan imo. its not like ben was killing dogs or anything.

Well, I was going to bring a sign that says "Big Play Willie Gay" to support our nickel corner who is back to his '08 form, but now I'm not going to anymore...I'll go with the Cribbs jersey instead. :wink:

Oviedo
10-16-2010, 09:25 PM

Probably hoping that fans confront the idiot so she gets more attention for herself. It is probably exactly what the check had planned all the time. She will know that there will be cameras and she will try to be as confrontational and defiant as possible hoping she gets something stirred up and the cameras are there to capture it.

After that there will be all this angst about the insensitivity towards women and how badly they were treated. It's a set up.

stlrz d
10-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Probably hoping that fans confront the idiot so she gets more attention for herself. It is probably exactly what the check had planned all the time. She will know that there will be cameras and she will try to be as confrontational and defiant as possible hoping she gets something stirred up and the cameras are there to capture it.

After that there will be all this angst about the insensitivity towards women and how badly they were treated. It's a set up.

[youtube:3ialwqds]/v/gHbYOwkJPpA[/youtube:3ialwqds]

Sorry, anytime I hear (or read) it's a set up I can't help but think of that. :lol: