PDA

View Full Version : Lolley: Last Season's Browns" Loss Led To Firings

SteelHoss
10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
NFL from the sidelines
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ments.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/10/big-week-to-check-on-improvements.html)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Big week to check on improvements

You could make the argument that the Browns cost a couple of Steelers coaches their jobs in 2009 and very nearly cost offensive coordinator Bruce Arians his as well.

Josh Cribbs had a 98-yard kickoff return against the Steelers at Pittsburgh last season, one of four kickoff returns for touchdowns allowed by the Steelers.

It was obvious that special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky wasn't coming back after a season of lowlights.

But the low point for offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and Arians came in a 13-6 loss in December at Cleveland.

In a driving wind and temperatures that were well below freezing, the Steelers ran the ball just 22 times for 74 yards.

And quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked eight times in a game plan that was obviously not adjusted to account for the weather.

That loss was the final one in a five-game losing streak for the Steelers, who won their final three games to finish at 9-7.

But the damage was done - at least for Ligashesky and Zierlein.

The were replaced by Al Everest and Sean Kugler, respectively, while Arians got a reprieve with the promise to run the ball more often.

We've seen the early results in the first four games, but Cleveland will offer some challenges this week, particularly for Everest, with Josh Cribbs.

Three of Cribbs' eight career kickoff returns for touchdowns have come against the Steelers. And he's just missed scoring on a couple of other occasions.

The Browns are not a good football team. But, as we saw last season, when you give up big plays on special teams or allow an all-out assault on your quarterback, you can lose to anyone.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 6:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers>NFL
10-13-2010, 08:08 AM
And why wasn't BA fired again??? I am still confuse.
Afterall, he is the one who called over 40 fukkin pass plays
in a high wind, very cold game. When the Browns had the worst rush defense
in the NFL last season.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM
And why wasn't BA fired again??? I am still confuse.
Afterall, he is the one who called over 40 fukkin pass plays
in a high wind, very cold game. When the Browns had the worst rush defense
in the NFL last season.

because it was one game... sure BA called a terrible game but umm.. we stunk up the other 4 games as well. Maybe the ST's and OL coach were fired because they stunk up the joint for 2 years and didn't improve?

This article is terrible... how can someone point to the 5th loss in a row as the one that gets a ST's coach fired?

Starlifter
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
what frustrates me most about BA is that there have been some EXTREMELY qualified offensive gurus available over the last few years and the steelers seem committed to stay the course. When i see what a cam cameron can do in miami or baltimore, or mike martz out in st. louis. heck, i hate charlie weiss but I think he's a few steps more creative. I know it's a sin to always covet what others have and perhaps BA is the best fit for what tomlin and the organization wants to do - but i sure feel like we let some quality people go by without even sniffing in their direction.

ikestops85
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
what frustrates me most about BA is that there have been some EXTREMELY qualified offensive gurus available over the last few years and the steelers seem committed to stay the course. When i see what a cam cameron can do in miami or baltimore, or mike martz out in st. louis. heck, i hate charlie weiss but I think he's a few steps more creative. I know it's a sin to always covet what others have and perhaps BA is the best fit for what tomlin and the organization wants to do - but i sure feel like we let some quality people go by without even sniffing in their direction.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict Chan Gailey will become available for us to hire next year. :roll:

Okay, so it's a very, very, VERY short limb. :lol:

steelnavy
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict Chan Gailey will become available for us to hire next year. :roll:

That was the difference in the Baltimore game last week. Cam vs Bruce. All things even (two great defenses), who would you pick to score more week in and out? And remember, the Steelers couldn't get a first down when it mattered most (more than one time) . Bet Cam would have found a way to get a first down on one or two of those sets of downs and maybe a few points off of TWO TURNOVERS ON THE RAVENS SIDE OF THE FIELD. Yes, Ben is coming back and will make a difference, but most agree that it is not because of Bruce's great play calling, but Ben's amazing ability to extend the play and create something out of a mediocre, predictable call from Brucey that would have gotten nowhere with an average quarterback (hey, kind of like the last few weeks!).

With Ben - good offense
Without Ben - offensive cellar dwellers

And yes Feltdizz, before you accuse me of it, I am blaming BA for Global warming too... :D

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Cam Cameron is a quality O.C., but Mike Martz? In Pittsburgh? If you think you hate Arians, you'd positively despite Martz. Sure, he's had some dynamic offenses in the right situations, but Pittsburgh would undoubtedly be the wrong situation for him in every respect imaginable. He would be putting more square pegs in round holes than even Kevin Gilbride did during his time as O.C. here.

The one that I was sad to see get away was Jeremy Bates, who coached with Tomlin in Tampa. He's one of those young coaching prodigies that came from a coaching family (his dad Jim Bates was a long-time assistant coach in the league). Jeremy had some success in Denver when Shanahan was there, but when they hired McDaniels, he left to become Pete Carroll's O.C. at USC, and then followed him to Seattle in the same position.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM

We go with the OC Ben likes... you don't change OC's when the franchise QB loves him and has great production.

That is how good teams become bad.

and whoever said Cam is a great OC needs to look at the Ravens in the playoffs last year vs. the Colts. They can't put up points when they need them like we can.

How about we watch what the Ravens do if Flacco goes down and then talk about how great the OC is.

These guys.. :lol:

Northern_Blitz
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Cam Cameron is a quality O.C., but Mike Martz? In Pittsburgh? If you think you hate Arians, you'd positively despite Martz.

As someone with Matt Forte on his fantasy team, I agree with this statement 100%. Martz is BA turned up to 11. Sometime it works (just like BA works), but if you hate BA, you'd really really really really hate Martz. I don't know how he and Lovie Smith get along. They just seem like polar opposites.

ikestops85
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Cam Cameron is a quality O.C., but Mike Martz? In Pittsburgh? If you think you hate Arians, you'd positively despite Martz.

As someone with Matt Forte on his fantasy team, I agree with this statement 100%. Martz is BA turned up to 11. Sometime it works (just like BA works), but if you hate BA, you'd really really really really hate Martz. I don't know how he and Lovie Smith get along. They just seem like polar opposites.

Has Martz been successful anywhere besides with the Rams? It would have been hard not to be successful with the weapons the Rams had on offense. A good line with Holt, Bruce, Faulk and Warner to get them the ball. What more could a coordinator ask for?

Oviedo
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
What about Charlie Batch for OC :stirpot

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 01:14 PM

That was the difference in the Baltimore game last week. Cam vs Bruce. All things even (two great defenses), who would you pick to score more week in and out? And remember, the Steelers couldn't get a first down when it mattered most (more than one time) . Bet Cam would have found a way to get a first down on one or two of those sets of downs and maybe a few points off of TWO TURNOVERS ON THE RAVENS SIDE OF THE FIELD. Yes, Ben is coming back and will make a difference, but most agree that it is not because of Bruce's great play calling, but Ben's amazing ability to extend the play and create something out of a mediocre, predictable call from Brucey that would have gotten nowhere with an average quarterback (hey, kind of like the last few weeks!).

With Ben - good offense

And yes Feltdizz, before you accuse me of it, I am blaming BA for Global warming too... :D

:lol: I have to laugh at the love for Cam... he is pretty much a smashmouth OC... who pounds the rock and throws a few passes downfield.

You talk about Cam like he is some offensive guru.

Oviedo
10-13-2010, 01:18 PM

With Ben - good offense

:lol: I have to laugh at the love for Cam... he is pretty much a smashmouth OC... who pounds the rock and throws a few passes downfield.

I agree. He is so 1990s

I'd rather see a young, innovative mind like Jeremy Bates.

Who knows Maybe the Cowboy's Jason Garrett will be job hunting after this season

Starlifter
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM
lol, that's the trouble with coveting. we tend to look at only the positives and ignore the negatives. what OC comes down to for me however is a comparison between BA and LeBeau. When not only fans but league experts talk about our DC you hear words like innovative, ground-breaking, visionary etc. I don't know what the answer is to BA but I don't think it's wrong to want an OC that is described in similar terms. Has anyone EVER used the word visionary in the same sentence as BA? Just because you're a smashmouth run first team doesn't mean you can't be innovative. I believe that's possible. I'm also sure I have no idea how to do it - but I'm just as sure BA doesn't know either.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 04:09 PM
lol, that's the trouble with coveting. we tend to look at only the positives and ignore the negatives. what OC comes down to for me however is a comparison between BA and LeBeau. When not only fans but league experts talk about our DC you hear words like innovative, ground-breaking, visionary etc. I don't know what the answer is to BA but I don't think it's wrong to want an OC that is described in similar terms. Has anyone EVER used the word visionary in the same sentence as BA? Just because you're a smashmouth run first team doesn't mean you can't be innovative. I believe that's possible. I'm also sure I have no idea how to do it - but I'm just as sure BA doesn't know either.

Name one offensive coordinator who has the word ground breaking and innovator in their bio? The only guy to get the praise LeBeau has was Bill Walsh because he created the West Coast offense.

BA made Nate Washington rich... that is innovation my friend. 8)

and someone said the name Jason Garret. Cowboy fans treat him the same we Steeler fans treat BA. They hate him and say he has no imagination. Is it true? Probably not but I find it funny how these OC's or OL's are praised by Steeler fans... then you turn to watch these guys and they are lining up with empty backfields on 3rd and short and the OL is giving up 4 sacks...

These other guys look better because there is no emotional ties to the team. Watch the game at a sports bar and half their fans are complaining about the same coaches and players our fans are drooling over.

steelnavy
10-13-2010, 04:30 PM

With Ben - good offense

I have to laugh at your opinions based on nothing but man-love for BA.

Bios pulled from Wikipedia (ignored head coaching stats because they both sucked):

Cam Cameron

Started coaching at the University of Michigan, where he learned from long-time Wolverine coach Bo Schembechler. After two years as a graduate assistant he became Michigan's youngest assistant and was responsible for tutoring quarterbacks and receivers. He coached many future NFL players, including Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Amani Toomer, Derrick Alexander and Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard.

Cam was the quarterbacks coach for the Washington Redskins between 1994 and 1996. He is credited with guiding quarterback Gus Frerotte to his only Pro Bowl appearance in 1997, and also played a key role in the development of Pro Bowl quarterback Trent Green. Cameron coached quarterback Antwaan Randle El who was named a 2001 first-team All-American and the Hoosiers averaged 435.3 yards per game

From 2002-2006, he served as the offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers. In 2004, San Diego scored 446 points, third-highest in the NFL that year and the third-most in team history. Following the 2004 campaign, Sports Illustrated named Cameron its Offensive Assistant of the Year. In 2005, the Chargers averaged 26.1 points per game - good for fifth in the NFL in that category. In 2006, the Chargers offense amassed a team-record 494 points while paving the way for league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson to break the single-season touchdown record.

Bruce Arians

Arians attended and played college football at Virginia Tech. As a senior in 1974, Arians was the starting quarterback for the Hokies football team. That season he completed 53 of 118 passing attempts (44.9% completion pct.) for 952 yards with three passing touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also added eight more touchdowns rushing.

Arians coached the running backs from 1981-82 under Paul "Bear" Bryant

He was the first quarterback coach of Peyton Manning when he arrived in the NFL and gets some of the credit for turning Peyton Manning into one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history.
Arians' good work with the Colts paid off as he got his big promotion to offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. After two seasons with the Browns, he was hired by Bill Cowher as the wide receivers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Wow, that was quick, wonder why he left Cleveland?!? Maybe because they didn't have a marquee quarterback to save his butt?)

On January 23, 2007, he was promoted to the offensive coordinator job of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Arians' tenure as offensive coordinator has come under fire from many fans, who dislike what they consider "uncreative" playcalling. Steelers fans frequently criticize him and his popularity is low. Although Ben Roethlisberger has stated that his support for Arians in the position.

I included all of the positives on the two coordinators. Based on their histories, WHO WOULD YOU HIRE?!?

One of them is a coordinator that excels wherever he goes and one is a coordinator...

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the Ravens offense gotten much better since Cam showed up? Guess thats a coincidence? And you want to use ONE game against the Colts as proof that he can't move the ball when needed?

And while I am at it, BA is also responsible for the recession. :D

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Name one offensive coordinator who has the word ground breaking and innovator in their bio? The only guy to get the praise LeBeau has was Bill Walsh because he created the West Coast offense.

BA made Nate Washington rich... that is innovation my friend. 8)

and someone said the name Jason Garret. Cowboy fans treat him the same we Steeler fans treat BA. They hate him and say he has no imagination. Is it true? Probably not but I find it funny how these OC's or OL's are praised by Steeler fans... then you turn to watch these guys and they are lining up with empty backfields on 3rd and short and the OL is giving up 4 sacks...

These other guys look better because there is no emotional ties to the team. Watch the game at a sports bar and half their fans are complaining about the same coaches and players our fans are drooling over.

Garrett sucks. I was hoping that Baltimore hired him as their head coach a few years ago because I knew he would stink. On the other hand, I had an inkling that Harbaugh might be a good one.

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2010, 05:02 PM

With Ben - good offense

The game did not boil down to Cam vs Bruce. The biggest problem for the Steelers offense were the costly mistakes they committed on the field. Difficult to win games making mistakes on the field.

"Cam would have found a way to get a first down...." The same Cam that failed to get the Ravens into the end zone with 4+ minutes remaining? The same Cam that managed to get 10 points out of the Ravens vs Bengals? Wait, did Cam lace'em up with shoulder pads and helmet? I swear I must've missed him in those games.

The Steelers had opportunities to get first downs in those situations. The players did not execute. Go back and re-watch the plays and you will see a WR's open on both plays. Batch missed him on one play. Batch did not have enough time to throw on the other play.

I'd like to see how the Colts would perform without Peyton or the Saints without Brees. Well, the Saints offense is having issues without Bush in the line up. We see how well the Cards offense is playing without Warner. We can go around the league and take away teams QBs. I don't think they would fair much better then the Steelers offense.

Without realizing it, you are making a case for BA when you wrote the offense is good with Ben in the line up.

The Steelers loss the game because the Ravens Oline protected Flacco, Flacco made the throw, & TJ beat Mcfadden. That's execution my friend.

IMO, the games usually boil down to how the players execute on the field.

Djfan
10-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I love the "You know what would have happened if..." game starts.

I know what would have happened. Aliens would have come down and kidnapped both Gailey and Ariens, and taken them back to Golob to have babies.

Let's hire Michelle Obama next go 'round. :stirpot

BURGH86STEEL
10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't even know how one measures OC's around the league. I do know that BA is not as bad as some are making him. He's done some good things with the offense, with a short handed Oline. People continually choose to focus on the bad play calls.

I see some are pimping Cameron. Considering that the Ravens have more weapons and an apparently better Oline then the Steelers, the Ravens scored 92 points in 5 games and Steelers 86 points in 4 games. Steelers did that without their best player on offense.

I know the next OC the Steelers hire will be heavily criticized by some. That is, unless those fans choose to direct their ire at Tomlin. That's what happened with Cowher as time went on.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I have to laugh at your opinions based on nothing but man-love for BA.

Bios pulled from Wikipedia (ignored head coaching stats because they both sucked):

Cam Cameron

Started coaching at the University of Michigan, where he learned from long-time Wolverine coach Bo Schembechler. After two years as a graduate assistant he became Michigan's youngest assistant and was responsible for tutoring quarterbacks and receivers. He coached many future NFL players, including Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Amani Toomer, Derrick Alexander and Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard.

Cam was the quarterbacks coach for the Washington Redskins between 1994 and 1996. He is credited with guiding quarterback Gus Frerotte to his only Pro Bowl appearance in 1997, and also played a key role in the development of Pro Bowl quarterback Trent Green. Cameron coached quarterback Antwaan Randle El who was named a 2001 first-team All-American and the Hoosiers averaged 435.3 yards per game

From 2002-2006, he served as the offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers. In 2004, San Diego scored 446 points, third-highest in the NFL that year and the third-most in team history. Following the 2004 campaign, Sports Illustrated named Cameron its Offensive Assistant of the Year. In 2005, the Chargers averaged 26.1 points per game - good for fifth in the NFL in that category. In 2006, the Chargers offense amassed a team-record 494 points while paving the way for league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson to break the single-season touchdown record.

Bruce Arians

Arians attended and played college football at Virginia Tech. As a senior in 1974, Arians was the starting quarterback for the Hokies football team. That season he completed 53 of 118 passing attempts (44.9% completion pct.) for 952 yards with three passing touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also added eight more touchdowns rushing.

Arians coached the running backs from 1981-82 under Paul "Bear" Bryant

He was the first quarterback coach of Peyton Manning when he arrived in the NFL and gets some of the credit for turning Peyton Manning into one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history.
Arians' good work with the Colts paid off as he got his big promotion to offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. After two seasons with the Browns, he was hired by Bill Cowher as the wide receivers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Wow, that was quick, wonder why he left Cleveland?!? Maybe because they didn't have a marquee quarterback to save his butt?)

On January 23, 2007, he was promoted to the offensive coordinator job of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Arians' tenure as offensive coordinator has come under fire from many fans, who dislike what they consider "uncreative" playcalling. Steelers fans frequently criticize him and his popularity is low. Although Ben Roethlisberger has stated that his support for Arians in the position.

I included all of the positives on the two coordinators. Based on their histories, WHO WOULD YOU HIRE?!?

One of them is a coordinator that excels wherever he goes and one is a coordinator...

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the Ravens offense gotten much better since Cam showed up? Guess thats a coincidence? And you want to use ONE game against the Colts as proof that he can't move the ball when needed?

And while I am at it, BA is also responsible for the recession. :D

WRONG... The Ravens offense has been better since Ray Rice showed up. You say my opinion is based on "man love" then you use wikipedia for your opinion? Whatever.... maybe I'm just a Steeler fan who doesn't take the easy way out and blame BA for the players mistakes.

but doesn't this sound familiar?

Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has been criticized all week for not relying on Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice in the Ravens' 15-10 loss to the Bengals on Sunday. Rice carried the ball just eight times in the second half of a game the Ravens never trailed by more than six points.

On Tuesday, Cameron said that looking back, he would have called Rice's number more, and that he plans to give the electrifying back a larger role going forward.

Now as far as BA goes... wasn't he the OC when they had us on the ropes with Tim Couch and Edwards dropped the game clincher?

I'm more impressed by an OC who makes lemonade with lemons then an OC with Ladamian Tomlinson in his prime, Drew Brees and nothing to show for it in the post season.

If you ask Ravens fans I guarantee they say Cam has no imagination and runs up the middle too much.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Once BA's contract is up after this season, and the lockout is over, you will see Randy Fichtner announced as the new offensive coordinator.

Oviedo
10-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Once BA's contract is up after this season, and the lockout is over, you will see Randy Fichtner announced as the new offensive coordinator.

What has Fichtner done to earn an OC position?

Doesn't really matter though. Many will consider him, or anyone else we hire, an incompetent idiot by about the 6th game anyway and we can start the fire Fichtner threads.