PDA

View Full Version : Report: Santonio took money from agents at Ohio State

Dee Dub
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
"Luchs says that while he was recruiting Ohio State receiver Santonio Holmes in 2005, Holmes said he had been taking money from an agent for a couple of years. Holmes, now with the Jets, said the story was untrue."

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... ers-101210 (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Former-sports-agent-says-he-paid-college-football-players-101210)

Dee Dub
10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
"In November 2005, Steve and I flew to Ohio State to talk to receiver Santonio Holmes. We met him outside the football building, and he said, "Listen, I want to save you the time. We don't need to meet. I've been taking money from [an agent] the last couple years, and he's been taking care of my family too."
Had it been 10 years earlier, I would have probably said, "Santonio, whatever he's paying you, I'll double it." But now, being at Gersh, I had Hollywood to sell. Let the other agents pay kids."

Through a New York Jets spokesperson, Santonio Holmes denied taking money from any agent while in college or telling Luchs and Steve Feldman that he had taken money. Feldman confirmed to SI that Holmes told him and Luchs that an agent was paying him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/m ... ?eref=sihp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp)

It would appear this dude is telling the right story since so many of these players have come forward and admitted.

• When informed of the allegation that he had accepted money from Luchs, Kanavis McGhee asked SI to call back the next day. He did not return subsequent phone and e-mail messages from SI.

• Greg Townsend confirmed the details of his relationship with Luchs.

• Chuck Webb could not be reached for comment (SI left messages for Webb through his family).

• Mel Agee, Harold (Doc) Daniels, Chris Mims, Travis Claridge and Leon Bender are deceased.

• Carl Greenwood, Othello Henderson, Matt Soenksen, Chris ¬Alexander, Bruce Walker, Jonathan Ogden and Singor Mobley confirmed receiving money or extra benefits from Luchs.

• Jamir Miller, Tony Banks and John Rushing declined to comment.

• Ryan Fien, Joel Steed and Torey Hunter said they did not receive money from Luchs.

• Vaughn Parker said he knew Luchs but had no comment as to whether he took money from Luchs.

• Greg Thomas, Delon Washington and Darick Holmes did not respond to phone messages.

• Phalen Pounds said Luchs was "a good guy" but declined to comment as to whether he took money.

• Rob Waldrop denied that Luchs paid him. He recalled that he had lunch with Luchs and that Luchs offered to pay a friend in an effort to get to Waldrop, but he said that he did not accept any money.

• Ryan Leaf declined to comment on specific allegations. "I remember Josh," Leaf said in a statement. "As I recall, he was an old hometown friend of one or two of my teammates and we all hung out a bit. I don't remember him aspiring to be an agent. We were all about the same age and we were interested in having a good time more than anything else."

• R. Jay Soward confirmed receiving money from Luchs.

• Gary Wichard's lawyer, Howard Silber, said his client declined to ¬comment.

• Mel Kiper denied that it was prearranged for him to call during the Willie Howard meeting or any other. "I would never have called Gary, but Gary and other agents often call me and ask me to speak to players," said Kiper. "Gary is my friend, but I do that all the time for many different agents. I give players my opinion of them as football players. But I would never promote Gary or any other agent to a player." As for the belief among some agents that he favors Wichard's clients, Kiper said, "My player ratings are not related to my relationship with Gary or any other agent. There are many examples of players Gary represented who I have not ranked highly." (Howard confirmed to SI Luchs's account of Kiper's calling during Howard's meeting with Luchs and Wichard.)

• John Blake's lawyer, William H. Beaver II, said his client declined to comment.

• Kenyon Coleman declined to comment.

• Jeremy Shockey did not respond to messages left through the Saints or his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

feltdizz
10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
why am I not surprised...

agents should be punished just like the colleges...

hawaiiansteel
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
why am I not surprised...

agents should be punished just like the colleges...

no way, NOT Sanstonio Holmes... :roll:

http://www.clubhousecancer.com/WindowsLiveWriter/SantonioWeedMonster.jpg

Steelers>NFL
10-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Who cares... This is ridiculous, BS rule anyway.

Stewie
10-13-2010, 08:18 AM
The real news would be a prominent player who didn't get treats.

flippy
10-13-2010, 08:41 AM
I just heard this agent wll be on Mike and Mike @ 9:15 am ET.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 08:52 AM

what does he gain by exposing all these players?

Ghost
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Didn't Santonio have a couple of kids while in college? Without help, I don't see how he could have been supporting them.

- "Through a New York Jets spokesperson, Santonio Holmes denied taking money from any agent while in college or telling Luchs and Steve Feldman that he had taken money. Feldman confirmed to SI that Holmes told him and Luchs that an agent was paying him." (Steve Feldmen was another agent present at the meeting with SH where they were there to offer money themselves. He's confirming the author's account).

As for why the agent is coming out (it's a great article - I may buy the mag to read it all): he says it's 2 things: he wants it out there how the agent business really works and that the players and their families are JUST as much to blame if not more. College coaches are being ridiculous when they speak about agents with no mention of thier "innocent" players.

The second part has to do with him getting suspended as an agent after a dispute with a former partner/boss. He says he's coming clean on everything so he's not just remembered for a suspension but as a guy working hard to make a living, provide for his family and take care of his players.

My opinion - I believe it all. Enough people backing up his version of stories and apparrently he's got documentation (bank records, money order receipts) as well. And all of it's no surprise.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-13-2010, 09:23 AM

He gets to hang with Mike & Mike.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 10:29 AM

He gets to hang with Mike & Mike.

LOL... I like how Santonio says it's totally untrue because he was already being paid by ANOTHER agent.

One thing you have to give Holmes credit for is his honesty... has he ever told a lie?

flippy
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Guy said it wasn't Santonio Holmes but another Holmes he was referring to that took money from him. Said Santonio met him but didn't take money cause he had another agent.

Dee Dub
10-13-2010, 10:53 AM

You mean like this???

I put $10,000 cash in front of Kansas's Dana Stubblefield, and he wouldn't take it. I tried to pay UCLA's J.J. Stokes and USC's Keyshawn Johnson, and they said, "No." But for every kid who didn't take the money, there were dozens who called me and asked to get paid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/m ... z12FbIhniF (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz12FbIhniF)

Dee Dub
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Guy said it wasn't Santonio Holmes but another Holmes he was referring to that took money from him. Said Santonio met him but didn't take money cause he had another agent.

Yes...the article (story), which I posted never said the agent claimed to have given money to Santonio Holmes. Here it is again...

"In November 2005, Steve and I flew to Ohio State to talk to receiver Santonio Holmes. We met him outside the football building, and he said, "Listen, I want to save you the time. We don't need to meet. I've been taking money from [an agent] the last couple years, and he's been taking care of my family too."
Had it been 10 years earlier, I would have probably said, "Santonio, whatever he's paying you, I'll double it." But now, being at Gersh, I had Hollywood to sell. Let the other agents pay kids."

sentinel33
10-13-2010, 10:59 AM
yeah. and it appears that Tone was taking money from a different agent. and how could he bring two children into the world without any assistance. The thing is, these players should be getting some sort of stipend. Colleges make so much money off of these athletes. Maybe they would be able to get there own school work done if they didnt have to spend extra time on a part time job to make ends meet. Give these kids what they need so they are less likely to go out on there own and get what they need by other means and get in trouble. Probably end up with far less agent-player fratranization.
I'm not surprised one bit about these allegations. Been waiting for it actually.

Jigawatts
10-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Santonio wouldn't risk taking a nickle.

Well, maybe a dime.

Definitely a quarter.

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Santonio wouldn't risk taking a nickle.

Well, maybe a dime.

Definitely a quarter.

Dime bag for sure.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM

You mean like this???

I put $10,000 cash in front of Kansas's Dana Stubblefield, and he wouldn't take it. I tried to pay UCLA's J.J. Stokes and USC's Keyshawn Johnson, and they said, "No." But for every kid who didn't take the money, there were dozens who called me and asked to get paid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/m ... z12FbIhniF (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz12FbIhniF)

They said "NO" to him... but that doesn't mean someone else wasn't paying their way.

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Just curious,..but seeing as though Santo now plays for the Jets,... how is him taking money in college even relevant to Steeler fans at all ?

Is it a matter of some of the Nation needing to villify him further (Holmes) as well as try to act as though he wasn't a very key component to our last playoff run which resulted in a Superbowl win,... so as to justify the fact that the team traded him as a "statement" fallguy for smoking weed when Roethlisberger was dealing with a second RAPE accusation ? (Because they damn sure weren't going to take any serious measures with Roethlisberger)

I'm just sayin,......

Discipline of Steel
10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
I think it was because of the Twitters. Those were just plain dumb and its not hard to part ways with someone doing something stupid. ....and Stonio's demons continue to chase him....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-14-2010, 09:24 AM
- "Through a New York Jets spokesperson, Santonio Holmes denied taking money from any agent while in college or telling Luchs and Steve Feldman that he had taken money. Feldman confirmed to SI that Holmes told him and Luchs that an agent was paying him." (Steve Feldmen was another agent present at the meeting with SH where they were there to offer money themselves. He's confirming the author's account).

His biggest mistake is denying that he told them he was taking money from another agent.

If I take money from you then you are a witness. If I tell you that I took money from someone else then I may have taken money or I may just be trying to get rid of you. Ten years later there is no way to prove anything. But if I deny telling you that I took money then there are two witnesses that can say that I am lying.

And this statement was done through a Jets spokesman? They should know better. This is why it is usually best to make a basic simple statement instead of grand speeches when accused of wrongdoing.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 09:54 AM

His biggest mistake is denying that he told them he was taking money from another agent.

If I take money from you then you are a witness. If I tell you that I took money from someone else then I may have taken money or I may just be trying to get rid of you. Ten years later there is no way to prove anything. But if I deny telling you that I took money then there are two witnesses that can say that I am lying.

And this statement was done through a Jets spokesman? They should know better. This is why it is usually best to make a basic simple statement instead of grand speeches when accused of wrongdoing.

who's on 3rd? :lol:

This whole issue will damage tOSU... that's it.

I think a bigger stink is the Mel Kiper link to agents and players. They try to make the kids look like the villains in all of this when its the grown azz men swindling kids with candy (pocket money)

ramblinjim
10-14-2010, 10:00 AM
:Agree with Felt, I think it's odd that Mel will call up the prospective agents of the college players like that. It all smells.

As for making 'Tone look worse? I don't think so, I think most of us on these boards know that so many of these college kids take money from agents so there's really no surprise here. What surprises me more than anything in that article is the way they gave money to so many players that never made it.

Dee Dub
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
"I had no recognition of it until I was contacted by my agent and by PR," Holmes said. "It was probably something thrown out there to further tarnish my career. But everything happens for a reason. The allegations are false that were made by this guy, whoever this reporter is who said that I took money. It's all false."

So he didn’t recognize it?? :shock:

Weed will do that to you. :roll:

Asked point-blank if he took money from anyone while he was in college, in violation of NCAA rules, Holmes straightened up and spoke deliberately.
"I'm in my fifth year in the NFL. I'm a Super Bowl MVP," Holmes began. "I have not been to the table to take any money from anybody from any team, and I asked to take money from a guy I didn't even know? Seriously? It's self-explanatory."

Nice. He totally didn’t answer the question. This is a way to say you never lied. It isn’t reported that he took money from a team. It’s reported that he was already getting paid by another agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5682651 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5682651)