PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings: Steelers still #1

SteelCrazy
10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
ESPN.com

The Baltimore Ravens have collected impressive pelts this season, but they remain in the executive suite's waiting room in the latest ESPN.com NFL Power Rankings.

Entering Week 6, the Ravens are 4-1 but rank second behind their AFC North rivals, the Pittsburgh Steelers, in the weekly poll of our experts. The Steelers, coming off a Week 5 bye, retain the No. 1 spot for a third week. The New York Jets, Atlanta Falcons and Indianapolis Colts round out the top five.

The Ravens already own victories over the Steelers and Jets this season. Perhaps they need a Week 6 road win over the No. 6 New England Patriots to unseat the Steelers? Pittsburgh welcomes Ben Roethlisberger back from suspension with a home date against the No. 29 Cleveland Browns.

The New Orleans Saints, who had occupied the No. 1 or No. 2 spot through the first five weeks, rank No. 9 this week. They'll visit the No. 16 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who are in our top 20 for the first time since 2008.

Another interesting matchup in Week 6 will feature the No. 5 Colts visiting the No. 11 Washington Redskins, the NFC East's highest-ranked team.

More: Voting | Bloggers' analysis | SN: Rank 'Em | Team Power Rankings charts since 2002

Editor's note: "LW" indicates each team's ranking in the Week 5 edition of the 2010 Power Rankings.

2010 Power Rankings: Week 6
RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
1 (1) Steelers 3-1 With QB Ben Roethlisberger returning, Pittsburgh has a shot to be the NFL's only dominant team. (Walker)
2 (6) Ravens 4-1 RB Ray Rice (133 yards, two touchdowns in Week 5) makes everyone else's job much easier. (Walker)
3 (4) Jets 4-1 The addition of Santonio Holmes has loaded up the offensive options for Mark Sanchez. (Clayton)
4 (5) Falcons 4-1 The Falcons seem to be the best team in the NFC South despite not hitting full stride yet. (Sando)
5 (9) Colts 3-2 The Colts' defense took a turn as the lead dog in an ugly win over the Chiefs. (Kuharsky)
6 (8) Patriots 3-1 Deion Branch is a nice peace offering to Tom Brady after the Randy Moss trade. (Clayton)
7 (11) Bears 4-1 The Bears are winning, but QB Jay Cutler (concussion) cannot come back soon enough. (Walker)
8 (3) Packers 3-2 Injuries are starting to mount, and now QB Aaron Rodgers (concussion) is a question mark. (Walker)
9 (2) Saints 3-2 The Saints own victories over the 49ers (0-5), Panthers (0-5) and Vikings (1-3). (Sando)
10 (10) Chiefs 3-1 The defense seems real, but it needs support from the offense. (Kuharsky)
11 (16) Redskins 3-2 Mike Shanahan is winning ugly, but Donovan McNabb is still a key to success down the stretch. (Clayton)
12 (19) Titans 3-2 Coaches should ask VY to throw like that weekly.(Kuharsky)
13 (7) Texans 3-2 The savior for the pass defense is not walking through this team's door. (Kuharsky)
14 (17) Eagles 3-2 Kevin Kolb didn't look too bad while beating the 49ers in San Francisco. (Clayton)
15 (20) Giants 3-2 Tom Coughlin is getting the message to the Giants as they climb back into the playoff picture. (Clayton)
16 (23) Buccaneers 3-1 The Bucs already have matched their 2009 totals for victories at home (one) and on the road (two). (Sando)
17 (13) Dolphins 2-2 After two divisional home losses, the Dolphins seem like a lock for third place. (Clayton)
18 (22) Jaguars 3-2 The Jags did exactly what was needed in Buffalo. (Kuharsky)
19 (14) Cowboys 1-3 Too bad there isn't a penalty for excessive underachievement. The Cowboys would be flagged. (Clayton)
20 (15) Vikings 1-3 In the battle of underachievers, Minnesota has an early elimination game against Dallas on Sunday. (Walker)
21 (12) Chargers 2-3 Do they miss Kassim Osgood, now in Jacksonville, on special teams? (Kuharsky)
22 (18) Bengals 2-3 With penalties and turnovers, the Bengals are one of the NFL's sloppiest teams. (Walker)
23 (21) Broncos 2-3 Kyle Orton's passing can't offset the Broncos' lack of pass rush and run game. (Kuharsky)
24 (25) Cardinals 3-2 Safety Kerry Rhodes has matched Larry Fitzgerald with two touchdowns in five games. (Sando)
25 (29) Raiders 2-3 In Week 6, the Raiders would love to add to the Niners' misery in a Bay Area battle. (Kuharsky)
26 (24) Rams 2-3 The Rams' depth was tested after they lost WR Mark Clayton to a season-ending knee injury. (Sando)
27 (26) Seahawks 2-2 Marshawn Lynch will make his Seattle debut against the Bears' third-ranked run defense. (Sando)
28 (31) Lions 1-4 Has any other 0-4 team ever won its first game so convincingly? (Walker)
29 (27) Browns 1-4 Rookie QB Colt McCoy could get his first start in Pittsburgh. Not good. (Walker)
30 (28) 49ers 0-5 Vernon Davis is (very) quietly on pace for 77 receptions and eight touchdown grabs. (Sando)
31 (30) Panthers 0-5 Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore have combined for three touchdowns, nine interceptions and a 43.6 quarterback rating. (Sando)
32 (32) Bills 0-5 Chan Gailey is thinking of going back to a 4-3 defense -- five weeks too late. (Clayton)

Steelers>NFL
10-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Not that it matters. But the Ravens or the Jets should be #1.

feltdizz
10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

the comment section on ESPN gets more hits with us at #1.

skyhawk
10-12-2010, 03:44 PM

I agree.

I find it funny that now since Ben has been suspended he is getting all the kudos and accolades of being a top tier quarterback, and people are picking the Steelers as possibly dominant. He didn't get this after winning two super bowls. What's the difference now??

:brownssuck

Oviedo
10-12-2010, 03:54 PM

I agree.

I find it funny that now since Ben has been suspended he is getting all the kudos and accolades of being a top tier quarterback, and people are picking the Steelers as possibly dominant. He didn't get this after winning two super bowls. What's the difference now??

The pundits are building their strylines for the rest of the season. If Ben comes back and catches fire they continue with their adulation of him as an elite QB. If the Steelers stumble those who don't and never have liked Ben go back to their old storylines playing one of the three following angles:

1. "he isn't in the same class as..."
2. even more juicy for them "his off field behavior has caught up with him"
3. "His teammates don't respect him and he can't lead them because of Georgia"

It win-win journalism for them.

skyhawk
10-12-2010, 04:13 PM

I agree.

The pundits are building their strylines for the rest of the season. If Ben comes back and catches fire they continue with their adulation of him as an elite QB. If the Steelers stumble those who don't and never have liked Ben go back to their old storylines playing one of the three following angles:

Spot on my friend.

Scarletfire1970
10-12-2010, 04:22 PM

I agree.

4. He's just a game manger. They win because they run the ball and play great defense.

LordVile
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM

I agree.

4. He's just a game manger. They win because they run the ball and play great defense.

Similar to #4 I often hear:

5. He ain't that good, he only won the Superbowl's because he had a great team around him. (In 2008 Steelers had a great 0-line and a good run game. LOL)

stlrz d
10-12-2010, 10:43 PM

It doesn't matter who they put at #1. Those comment sections go crazy regardless.

The writers have seen what the Steelers have done this season without a viable threat at QB and Ben is coming back this week. They know we are the most complete team in the league with #7 back under center.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 08:58 AM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":jdsgm3d6]Not that it matters. But the Ravens or the Jets should be #1.

It doesn't matter who they put at #1. Those comment sections go crazy regardless.

The writers have seen what the Steelers have done this season without a viable threat at QB and Ben is coming back this week. They know we are the most complete team in the league with #7 back under center.[/quote:jdsgm3d6]

OK.. but these experts will be called idiots in a few weeks if we lose and get dropped down too far.

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 10:22 AM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":2l8yeys9]Not that it matters. But the Ravens or the Jets should be #1.

The writers have seen what the Steelers have done this season without a viable threat at QB and Ben is coming back this week. They know we are the most complete team in the league with #7 back under center.[/quote:2l8yeys9]

ESPN is so predictable... 8)

* Are the Baltimore Ravens (4-1) the NFL's best team?

Morning take: ESPN.com received a lot of heat from Ravens fans for ranking them No. 2 behind the Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1). But both teams are representing the division extremely well.

AngryAsian
10-13-2010, 10:33 AM
The Jets are a team to fear in our conference. It pains me to say that because I think Rex Ryan is a putz and I hate the team's New York Yankee approach in team-building, but Minnesota is a top 5 defensive team and had answers for them on offense. The Jets are also very capable on defense... with all the pre-season hype, they seem to be putting together some wins. December's match up on our soil will be colossal!

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
The Jets are a team to fear in our conference. It pains me to say that because I think Rex Ryan is a putz and I hate the team's New York Yankee approach in team-building, but Minnesota is a top 5 defensive team and had answers for them on offense. The Jets are also very capable on defense... with all the pre-season hype, they seem to be putting together some wins. December's match up on our soil will be colossal!

I'm not sold on the Jets yet. The Vikings are not a good team IMO. Their D is awesome when they are at home because their front 4 get a jump on teams due to crowd noise.

Jets beat a decent Pats team.. but their other wins aren't against great teams. I can't wait to see how we match up against them.

Ozey74
10-13-2010, 09:40 PM

This game will is going to be nasty and have the same type of feel as if we were playing the Ravens. And another thing to think about is that we will have to be ready to play the Panthers four days later. I know it's only the Panthers, but it's still an NFL team and we will be right in the middle of trying to secure a high playoff seed.

DkBlue
10-14-2010, 06:32 PM
James Walker seems to feel strongly. I thing this is premature.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... inant-team (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/29695/steelers-are-nfls-lone-dominant-team)

Scarletfire1970
10-14-2010, 07:43 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... inant-team (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/29695/steelers-are-nfls-lone-dominant-team)
"We're truly a 53-man roster, instead of a 52-man roster," Steelers left tackle Max Starks said. "It makes things more comfortable. It allows us the opportunity to do whatever, because we have [Roethlisberger] ... Now we have that full family."

What does that say about Batch and Dixon? Maybe something that should have been put differently

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 07:56 PM

"We're truly a 53-man roster, instead of a 52-man roster," Steelers left tackle Max Starks said. "It makes things more comfortable. It allows us the opportunity to do whatever, because we have [Roethlisberger] ... Now we have that full family."

What does that say about Batch and Dixon? Maybe something that should have been put differently

Everyone knows who's team this is on offense. Including Batch and Dixon.