PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown's great escape

fordfixer
10-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Antonio Brown's great escape

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 03ae162681 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Antonio-Browns-great-escape/20bc50cd-9b8a-4973-9b91-6503ae162681)

It’s called Liberty City, and if it sounds like a place where the American dream thrives, where opportunity abounds, well, that’s misleading. Liberty City, outside of Miami, actually is a place that’s the opposite of what its name implies.

To grow up in Liberty City is to understand what gunfire sounds like, and if you live there long enough, or maybe more accurately, stay alive there long enough, it’s impossible not to be touched by crime and violence. To get out of there in a way that involves neither a ride in the back of a police car nor a hearse is an accomplishment.

“Growing up, going to elementary school the teacher would ask what I wanted to do when I grew up, and I would say be a professional football player,” said Brown. “I worked hard and God blessed me with the ability to be in this position.”

But it wasn’t easy, because things in Liberty City are never easy. Brown saw things and lived with things kids just shouldn’t have to see. Friends getting robbed, friends getting killed, friends choosing to make their lives on the wrong side of the law.

“I have a couple of my friends who are now serving time in prison with long sentences, and they are my age,” said Brown, who celebrated his 22nd birthday on July 10. “I was once hanging out with those guys. God got me here, and I want to be here and stay focused and live every day blessed.”

Brown came to a true crossroads in life when he was just 16 years old. His father, Eddie Brown, a one-time standout in the Arena Football League, wasn’t around much. At the time, Brown was living with his mother, Adrianne Moss, but when she got married, he was told it was time for him to leave. As he recounts it today, Brown speaks of it in matter-of-fact tones as if being 16 and on the street is just a typical rite of passage.

“There was a change in the situation in the house,” explained Brown. “The situation was different with her new husband. I got put out. I had to fend for myself. She had to put me out to help me become a man.”

With no home, Brown bounced around. He stayed wherever he could for as long as those kind people would have him.

“I was staying with close friends of mine, sometimes coaches, anywhere that was a safe area where I could go to school and play football,” said Brown. “I had some good friends in the neighborhood who really cared and know what kind of person I am.

“My friend Lester Jean, who now plays at Florida Atlantic, his mom took me in like a mom. Another one took me in. I have a lot of people who took care of me. It was a great experience for me. It all worked out for the best.”

It was a great experience and not a tragic one only because Brown fought his way through it. He never turned to a life of crime to survive, instead pouring his energy into football, while doing enough academically to keep his dream alive.

“It was my escape, my time to get away,” said Brown. “It was the only thing I did to have fun. Me not being a part of my parents’ lives, I went to football and expressed my love and energy there.

“Any time I was taking off my helmet, I was dealing with real life – my friends getting killed and going to jail.”

Brown didn’t allow the experience to make him bitter and angry, and today he holds no grudge against those who weren’t there for him growing up and therefore made his life so difficult. Instead, it’s just the opposite. Today, Antonio Brown is a young man with a constant smile and a positive attitude.

He talks to his father now on a regular basis and aspires to be a better football player than he was.

“He is so proud of me as a son, the things I overcame and am able to do,” said Brown. “He tells me to keep striving, that things aren’t always going to be perfect but to just keep working hard and trying to build.”

He also has a good relationship with his mother, with whom he talks daily.

“Being on my own as a teenager taught me a lot of survival skills, to work hard and to really go for what I want,” said Brown. “I don’t blame my mother, I talk to her all the time. I love her. She regrets what she did, but I think it was the best for me. The past is the past. My dad and mom are still supportive. I’m past it. I got better from it and want to continue to build.

“I learned to be a man, to work hard, to not depend on other people but to get out and do what I needed to do to get what I needed to get.”

Brown knew if he wanted the NFL to be a reality, college football was a must. He needed to improve his grades, so he enrolled at a prep school to become eligible. During his one season there, Brown put up the kind of statistics that on paper look like a mis-print. Here is how it appeared on his bio that was released by the NFL when he was drafted by the Steelers:

“Spent a prep year in 2006 at North Carolina Tech … ran for 451 yards and 13 touchdowns and threw for 1,247 yards and 11 scores in just five games … also returned 11 punts and six kickoffs for touchdowns.” For the mathematically challenged, that’s 30 touchdowns scored in five games, plus the 11 touchdown passes.

When it came time for college, he found himself in a situation where he had to fend for himself as a walk-on at Central Michigan, but for someone who had to find somewhere to live as a 16-year-old it wasn’t all that daunting a task. Just one week into fall practice, he earned a scholarship. During his three seasons there, Brown scored touchdowns on plays of 90 yards in 2007; on plays of 78, 79 and 93 yards in 2008; and on plays of 55, 75, 70 and 82 yards in 2009.

With a coaching change at Central Michigan coming for 2010 and the realization he accomplished what he had set out to do, Brown declared himself draft eligible and in April, his childhood dream came true when the Steelers picked him in the sixth round.

“It was tough, but I learned a lot of things going through that,” said Brown. “It taught me to work for what I want. Nobody is going to give you anything. That’s why I work hard. Coming from where I came from, I had to work hard to get everything I needed. Nothing was ever given. I learned my work ethic from being in that situation. It built me as a person and player.

“I have a lot of memories that drive and motivate me to continue to work hard and do what I am doing. Every day I am blessed to make it, based on where I came from. I went through a lot growing up, but it made me who I am today. I take the positives and negatives and get better as a player and person. I don’t want to go back to that rough area.”

When the Steelers opened the 2010 season at Heinz Field against the Atlanta Falcons, Brown found himself on the sidelines in a T-shirt, on the inactive list.

“It was humbling watching my teammates,” admitted Brown. “I was kind of in the background. It hurt me a little not being out there because I knew I could contribute and help out. But as long as we get victories, I am all for the team. As long as I am able to contribute when my number is called, that’s what’s important.”

A week later in Tennessee, Brown had his number called on the game’s opening kickoff, and he took the handoff from Mewelde Moore on a reverse and sprinted 89 yards for a touchdown.

“That was totally God’s doing,” said Brown. “The first play of the game, on my first touch, not even dressing the week before. I expect that kind of thing. Every day I go out there I am trying to work hard and get better. My teammates put me in great position with some great blocks and made my job easier and all I had to do was run.”

Just like he was escaping from Liberty City.

Discipline of Steel
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
My vehicle broke down in Liberty City once and it became a very stressful day. to say the least...

stlrz d
10-08-2010, 08:20 AM
To grow up in Liberty City is to understand what gunfire sounds like

You can do that in Baltimore City too...especially on New Year's Eve...it's like being in a 3rd world country where everyone fires their guns up in the air to mark the occasion!

steelblood
10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
The kid is explosive and elusive. I can't wait until they use him more on offense.

Oviedo
10-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Speaks well of Brown's character and his ability to overcome adversity.

Hopefully he stays on the straight and narrow and does not try to maintain contact with people from the past. That is what drags these guys down 90% of the time.

RuthlessBurgher
10-08-2010, 11:27 AM
My vehicle broke down in Liberty City once and it became a very stressful day. to say the least...

I may have kicked you and stolen your car down there... :wink:

http://www.gtacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/gta-liberty-city-stories.jpg

Dee Dub
10-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

When your Homecoming Queen gets shot at while circle the track around the football field in a convertible because she had on a red dress then come back and tell me how hard your city is… :roll:

feltdizz
10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

When your Homecoming Queen gets shot at while circle the track around the football field in a convertible because she had on a red dress then come back and tell me how hard your city is… :roll:

it's kind of lame to brag about how much worse your part of town is...

Dee Dub
10-08-2010, 12:18 PM

No...I thinks it's even lamer to try and act like a place called Liberty City is some kind of crazy when in reality it is far from crazy. I know crazy. :wink:

steelernation77
10-08-2010, 12:45 PM
SFL/DVSONE, we know you know crazy. I think we all witnessed it.

flippy
10-08-2010, 12:57 PM
His life reminds me of an inspirational quote I just put in Shawn's thread yesterday:

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed." - Booker T Washington

Dee Dub,

I heard Willis from Different Strokes has a book out that he wrote where he talks about living many years in Compton as a drug dealer, pimp, and mentally unstable. I heard him on an interview and Compton sounded super bad.

But I remember as a kid I saw a guy get shot in Detroit 30 years ago and that city was a cesspool then and is a million times worse now.

I'd put Detroit and Baltimore up there as 2 of the worst cities in the world, right up there with Compton which I've only seen from the freeway or on tv.

feltdizz
10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":hhjv3fze]Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

No...I thinks it's even lamer to try and act like a place called Liberty City is some kind of crazy when in reality it is far from crazy. I know crazy. :wink:[/quote:hhjv3fze]
you don't know how crazy Brown's upbringing was...

I believe you know crazy though.. 8)

Dee Dub
10-08-2010, 01:36 PM

My issue isnt with Brown and his upbringing. It's with trying to depict Liberty City as this crazy place to live.

I guess if you compare it to say.....Paducah Kentucky..yeah it may be crazy.

feltdizz
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM

My issue isnt with Brown and his upbringing. It's with trying to depict Liberty City as this crazy place to live.

umm... I spent a few years in rural Kentucky working at a university. I felt safer in South Philly then I did in Kentucky. Meth labs, confederate flags and teen moms who actually thought Mountain Dew is a great substitute for baby formula.

kid 1: "what happen to your eye?"
kid 2: Shot it out with a bb gun
kid 1: "It happens"

RuthlessBurgher
10-08-2010, 02:13 PM

umm... I spent a few years in rural Kentucky working at a university. I felt safer in South Philly then I did in Kentucky. Meth labs, confederate flags and teen moms who actually thought Mountain Dew is a great substitute for baby formula.

kid 1: "$#!% happens"

Fixed that for you.

papillon
10-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Have you been to Liberty City?

Pappy

Dee Dub
10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes...I have. Church revival and a nice guy convention. :wink:

Come on Pap...does it even crack the top 100??

feltdizz
10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Have you been to Liberty City?

Pappy

Dee Dub doesn't need to go to that pansy city. WEST SIDE!

papillon
10-08-2010, 03:25 PM

I have no idea where it ranks on the list of places not to visit. I have heard of Compton and never have heard of Liberty City. It may be worse in Compton, but it's probably no trip to Miami Beach in Liberty City. Rejecting Brown's story as not worthy because you don't think Liberty City is a really, really bad place is weird.

Mother not wanting him, dad not in the picture, living wherever he could find a plate of food and roof over his head isn't exactly an ideal way to grow up.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-08-2010, 03:43 PM

I have no idea where it ranks on the list of places not to visit. I have heard of Compton and never have heard of Liberty City. It may be worse in Compton, but it's probably no trip to Miami Beach in Liberty City. Rejecting Brown's story as not worthy because you don't think Liberty City is a really, really bad place is weird.

Mother not wanting him, dad not in the picture, living wherever he could find a plate of food and roof over his head isn't exactly an ideal way to grow up.

Pappy

I'm always skeptical when a person dismisses how bad a place is because they "know" what real terror is...

It's not like these places are anything to be proud of... growing up in a rough neighborhood is tough and anyone who makes it out shouldn't get the "aww phooey"

Discipline of Steel
10-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Liberty City is the home of the TV show '48 Hours' where they follow along with the detectives on actual homicide investigations.

flippy
10-08-2010, 04:22 PM

kid 1: "It happens"

I was scared out of my pants in Mississippi on a business trip a few years back. Most of the people I met were super nice, but I saw racism up close and personal. The way that black folks were treated down there was like it was pre civil war times. I thought I had left the US. I even overheard some good ole boys talking about their KKK meeting after going fishing. Scared the beejesus out of me.

I had one run in with a skinhead/KKK group in Pittsburgh one time on the SouthSide and got threatened along with 2 of my black friends. That scared the crap out of me when it happened - I was around 20 at the time.

But the Mississippi stuff was 100 times worse. But the weird thing was the black guys were so nice in return to these rednecks. Nothing but "yes sirs" and totally politeness despite the disrespect.

I kinda think Compton should send their gangs to Mississippi. It would serve them right.

rpmpit
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Went to school in "Brick City" Newark, NJ. First day of class another freshman was shot in the head while using an ATM on campus. Not saying its any tougher or crazier than any of the towns you guys mentioned. Just saying I'm grateful that I made it out of there alive.

So anyway, anyone else not surprised that his parents, who abandoned him as a kid, are now back in his life that he's a professional athlete? I think he needs to be careful with them. I look at my son and try to think of a situation where I wouldn't want to be part of his life. And I can't. Brown's parents don't deserve to benefit from his success. He should reject them like they rejected him. Just my :2c

stlrz d
10-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Professional sports is loaded with stories like this.

Donald Driver's family lived in a u-haul trailer at one time.

It's fantastic when these guys can over come, but the bottom line is there are a million stories like this one. Many over come but aren't famous athletes so you never hear about them. They're scratching and clawing to make $30k a year so they can live the "American Dream" while all you ever hear about are the ones who make it big or the ones who don't make it at all.

Shawn
10-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Now that we have Ben back there is zero excuse not to get the young fast talent involved in the passing game. Maybe it's just me but I would think Wallace, Brown, and Sanders would be alot of speed to contend with. With 2-3 guys that can stretch the field how could they sneak a safety into the box? This just opens up the running game. ARE scares no one.

sd steel
10-09-2010, 01:54 AM
When you grow up in a bad neighborhood or city you just think it's normal until you move somewhere else and then come back to visit. Or when you make friends somewhere else and you tell them where you live and they say "Oh crap...you live there"! Bad areas are all relative to whether you belong there and call them home or not.

My wifes story was really similar to Brown's her Mom and Dad were divorced Dad moved away when she was young, and her Mom dropped out of the normal world when she was 15. My wife stayed with friends got through High School and put herself through college. Years later she is still in contact with her Mom and Dad and realizes that it was just a period in their life and they were irresponsible parents. That stuff happens more often than you think.

But cool story, I will root for him even more! :tt2

frankthetank1
10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":21xats7r]Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

No...I thinks it's even lamer to try and act like a place called Liberty City is some kind of crazy when in reality it is far from crazy. I know crazy. :wink:[/quote:21xats7r]

it is pretty lame to brag about how much more ghetto one place is to the next. urban decay is urban decay, ghetto is ghetto. have you ever been to liberty city? its pretty bad

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2010, 09:56 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":g6r8cdjr]Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

No...I thinks it's even lamer to try and act like a place called Liberty City is some kind of crazy when in reality it is far from crazy. I know crazy. :wink:

it is pretty lame to brag about how much more ghetto one place is to the next. urban decay is urban decay, ghetto is ghetto. have you ever been to liberty city? its pretty bad[/quote:g6r8cdjr]

:Agree I guess I wonder what the name of the place has to do with whether or not it is a good place or bad. Or how someone can say it isn't bad based on it's name. Either way, give the kid his due. He has overcome more than many of us have.

sentinel33
10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
blahblahblah. i had a tougher life. liberty city aint s#!+. ignorant posting. A competition to see who came from the worst area. LAME! Life is hard. There is about 1% of the people out there who had it silverspoon style. And as far as the us having the worst citys IN THE WORLD...well, your wrong there too. Amazing how we cant celebrate the fact that Brown made it out of a bad place and now he plays for the Steelers. I realize that there are 1000s of stories like this that are never heard. good thing. cause all that would happen is people talk about how that aint s#!+ and make your succeess seem like a failure. expect more from steelers fans. Way to go Antonio. Stay the course brother.

Flasteel
10-09-2010, 11:21 AM
blahblahblah. i had a tougher life. liberty city aint s#!+. ignorant posting. A competition to see who came from the worst area. LAME! Life is hard. There is about 1% of the people out there who had it silverspoon style. And as far as the us having the worst citys IN THE WORLD...well, your wrong there too. Amazing how we cant celebrate the fact that Brown made it out of a bad place and now he plays for the Steelers. I realize that there are 1000s of stories like this that are never heard. good thing. cause all that would happen is people talk about how that aint s#!+ and make your succeess seem like a failure. expect more from steelers fans. Way to go Antonio. Stay the course brother.

Great post! Mainly because you stated everything I was going to, but you also gave AB the props he deserves.

DW...your posting has been a little suspect lately. The retarded notion of taking the safety, and now this? I hope your recent comments aren't an early sign of some crack addiction. :D

Djfan
10-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Honestly,

This is one of the lamest threads I have ever read on this otherwise amazing board.

It's a great story of a kid with the deck stacked against him who wouldn't play at that table, and made good. Our response needs to be "Great story. Love and respect to him." And then move on.

Instead it's a comparison of how valid the story is due to the "roughness scale" and where Liberty falls on that scale?!?!

Are you kidding me? THAT is lame.

I teach at an alternative high school. 100% "at risk" kids. Very tough crowd, but lots of success stories. Does it count in your book? I mean, I'm only in "fluffy Fort Collins, CO" so I have to tell my students that it's no big deal that they overcome being homeless, or drug babies, or taught the gang lifestyle, or whatever?

Piles of shame on anyone who doesn't applaud the success stories and move on, hoping to hear more.

My first two years of teaching were on the Compton/Gardena boarders in LA. I taught elementary school in a 'hood so tough that I was assaulted twice by students - yeah, elementary students. I was just a mile or two from where the Rodney King riots broke out. It was rough. The middle school two blocks away had a full time police sub-station on it, that was active 7/24. That's rough.

So is Brown's story. So are the success stories (yes, plural!!) that my students and past students have.

The whole comparison thing is so lame that I can't describe it.

http://www.psdschools.org/news/2010/09/ptc-has-new-name-focus-and-location

Shawn
10-09-2010, 11:36 AM
People love underdog stories therefore this post exists. Cudos to anyone who overcomes...AB included. Many people have rough lives in one form or the other...including those who never were without material things. Abuse, neglect, addiction, violence happens on both sides of the track.

Flasteel
10-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Honestly,

This is one of the lamest threads I have ever read on this otherwise amazing board.

It's a great story of a kid with the deck stacked against him who wouldn't play at that table, and made good. Our response needs to be "Great story. Love and respect to him." And then move on.

Instead it's a comparison of how valid the story is due to the "roughness scale" and where Liberty falls on that scale?!?!

I teach at an alternative high school. 100% "at risk" kids. Very tough crowd, but lots of success stories. Does it count in your book? I mean, I'm only in "fluffy Fort Collins, CO" so I have to tell my students that it's no big deal that they overcome being homeless, or drug babies, or taught the gang lifestyle, or whatever?

Piles of shame on anyone who doesn't applaud the success stories and move on, hoping to hear more.

My first two years of teaching were on the Compton/Gardena boarders in LA. I taught elementary school in a 'hood so tough that I was assaulted twice by students - yeah, elementary students. I was just a mile or two from where the Rodney King riots broke out. It was rough. The middle school two blocks away had a full time police sub-station on it, that was active 7/24. That's rough.

So is Brown's story. So are the success stories (yes, plural!!) that my students and past students have.

As a public educator, I couldn't applaud this any more DJ...Thanks!

Thanks even more for the link to your school. One of my new areas of responsibility is assisting with the district oversight of our alternative programs. I love the credits through community work program that was mentioned, and I’m going to look into the feasibility of incorporating this into our platform of credit recovery/DOP programming. Great stuff brother, and keep up the fantastic work!!

Djfan
10-09-2010, 11:52 AM

As a public educator, I couldn't applaud this any more DJ...Thanks!

Thanks even more for the link to your school. One of my new areas of responsibility is assisting with the district oversight of our alternative programs. I love the credits through community work program that was mentioned, and I’m going to look into the feasibility of incorporating this into our platform of credit recovery/DOP programming. Great stuff brother, and keep up the fantastic work!!

Thanks FLA!!

If I can help you in anyway with that program let me know. It is awesome.

It's hard in our industry with all the budget cuts. I always wonder if I will have a job next year, and I hope to provide my family with insurance some day.

Here's hoping that the rewards for the sacrifice pay off, in this life or the next!!

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

eniparadoxgma
10-09-2010, 12:37 PM
What this thread reminds me of:

[youtube:joh57pmu]R6H0i1RAdHk[/youtube:joh57pmu]

"My birthplace is vastly inferior to yours"

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Went to school in "Brick City" Newark, NJ. First day of class another freshman was shot in the head while using an ATM on campus. Not saying its any tougher or crazier than any of the towns you guys mentioned. Just saying I'm grateful that I made it out of there alive.

So anyway, anyone else not surprised that his parents, who abandoned him as a kid, are now back in his life that he's a professional athlete? I think he needs to be careful with them. I look at my son and try to think of a situation where I wouldn't want to be part of his life. And I can't. Brown's parents don't deserve to benefit from his success. He should reject them like they rejected him. Just my :2c

We are also grateful that you made it out of Pittsburgh alive. Baked goods flying at your head have been known to cause major trauma. :wink:

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7VD5UpAXPo

Slapstick
10-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Obviously, Brown's childhood was just a bowl full of f@#$%ng cherries...Liberty City is an idyllic, utopian slice of suburbia...Brown is a failure...if he were any good or had any kind of work ethic, he would have been drafted in the first round...

Obviously, life has handed Antonio Brown numerous advantages and he has basically squandered them...he should be ashamed...

:moon

rpmpit
10-09-2010, 04:50 PM

We are also grateful that you made it out of Pittsburgh alive. Baked goods flying at your head have been known to cause major trauma. :wink:

Thanks, RB. Though I do need to correct you on a few points. The bun throwing incident occurred in Cincinatti. And Shawn was the intended victim. I was just an innocent bystander :lol:

fordfixer
10-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks, RB. Though I do need to correct you on a few points. The bun throwing incident occurred in Cincinatti. And Shawn was the intended victim. I was just an innocent bystander :lol:

Didn't they (the person throwing the bun) know that you can put an eye out doing that. I'm so glad you made it out of there with both eye's in tact :lol:

rpmpit
10-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Didn't they (the person throwing the bun) know that you can put an eye out doing that. I'm so glad you made it out of there with both eye's in tact :lol:

Don't know what the throwers intentions were. Just know that when I saw what was happening, and knew my friend Shawn was in trouble, I threw myself in the path of the bun to protect. That's just how I roll. Get it...roll :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2010, 06:27 PM
What this thread reminds me of:

[youtube:3mb4pkp6]R6H0i1RAdHk[/youtube:3mb4pkp6]

"My birthplace is vastly inferior to yours"

The music at the end gets me every time. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Coulda been worse, I guess. They could have thrown a 5 way chili at Shawn instead, with the chili and cheese hitting him, and the spaghetti, beans, and onions hitting you.

:bungalssuck

Shawn
10-09-2010, 10:22 PM

Don't know what the throwers intentions were. Just know that when I saw what was happening, and knew my friend Shawn was in trouble, I threw myself in the path of the bun to protect. That's just how I roll. Get it...roll :lol:

And I am forever in your service. Your courage is unmatched. :D

I know they were throwing it at me...what man in his right mind throws buns at a guy with arms bigger than my waist? :lol:

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2010, 11:38 PM
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/368/screenshot20101009at102.png

rpmpit
10-10-2010, 09:19 AM

And I am forever in your service. Your courage is unmatched. :D

I know they were throwing it at me...what man in his right mind throws buns at a guy with arms bigger than my waist? :lol:

Thanks, Shawn. But if it had been a bullet and not a bun...well, I can't honestly say things would have turned out the same way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee Dub
10-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Honestly,

Are you serious?? You gotta be kidding me, right? :roll: Making light of Liberty City in comparison to Compton or Watts was all in fun. Lighten up Francis!!

What I said wasnt all that serious. But it made you think it was lame. Wow!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

feltdizz
10-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I thought it was lame too... but how serious was I? :stirpot

grotonsteel
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM

I am surprised Irvington,NJ does not show up in that list....

Also surprised Newark is so down the list...maybe Ironbound is changing Newark image for good...Ironbound looks like a nice place..

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-11-2010, 03:32 PM

Are you actually proud of this?

Dee Dub
10-11-2010, 03:43 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2dyaxbyj]Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

Are you actually proud of this?[/quote:2dyaxbyj]

:roll:

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
[quote="_SteeL_CurtaiN_":36x68ybo][quote="Dee Dub":36x68ybo]Liberty City??? Give me a break. Try Lueders Park, Compton California. Or Imperial Courts in Watts.

Are you actually proud of this?[/quote:36x68ybo]

:roll:[/quote:36x68ybo]

:roll: :roll: na na na na na na my city is TOUGHER than yours, phooey!

Djfan
10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Are you serious?? You gotta be kidding me, right? :roll: Making light of Liberty City in comparison to Compton or Watts was all in fun. Lighten up Francis!!

What I said wasnt all that serious. But it made you think it was lame. Wow!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't try to backpedal, Princess. We all know you meant it, and it was lame.

Nice try.

NJ-STEELER
10-11-2010, 11:20 PM

I am surprised Irvington,NJ does not show up in that list....

Also surprised Newark is so down the list...maybe Ironbound is changing Newark image for good...Ironbound looks like a nice place..

ha

me and my bro were talking about it today as we went to the pens game and commented what a crappy area they have the hockey arena in

he brought up that irvington is even worse. i've been there also and agreed with him. i wondered if it a lot smaller then those other cities therefore the amount of crimes aren't as high.

they considered bringing in martial law a few years ago it was so bad.

are ya from jersey? ironbound section is better, lots of Portuguese in that area. dont know if i'd go as far as calling it nice though

grotonsteel
10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
ha

me and my bro were talking about it today as we went to the pens game and commented what a crappy area they have the hockey arena in

he brought up that irvington is even worse. i've been there also and agreed with him. i wondered if it a lot smaller then those other cities therefore the amount of crimes aren't as high.

they considered bringing in martial law a few years ago it was so bad.

are ya from jersey? ironbound section is better, lots of Portuguese in that area. dont know if i'd go as far as calling it nice though

Yeah i agree...i meant its nice compared to its neighboring area....

I have been to few quiet a few cities in that list...and there are few cities i like because of their nightlife. New Orleans and Dayton, OH come to my mind...

Back in Jersey now after spending couple of years in New Eng region.

NJ-STEELER
10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
yeah, i agree

some cities on that list are getting a bad rap cause of some bad areas.

st louis is up there i'm assuming for east ST lou which is terrible (i remember bryan cox being from there)

Orlando?? yeah, they have a bad stretch (OBT) but other parts of the city are nice. same with philly from what i hear. and Baltimore's inner harbor is really nice but crappy outside of it

nawlins? you're pretty safe on bourbon street and the surrounding area

however, the only time i want to step foot in newark is going to the airport or a hockey game

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Orlando?? yeah, they have a bad stretch (OBT) but other parts of the city are nice.

Yeah...Fantasyland and Tomorrowland may be nice, but stay the hell out of Frontierland and Adventureland if you know what's good for you. And don't even get me started on Main Street U.S.A. and the Monorail...

:P

Dee Dub
10-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Orlando?? yeah, they have a bad stretch (OBT) but other parts of the city are nice.

Yeah...Fantasyland and Tomorrowland may be nice, but stay the hell out of Frontierland and Adventureland if you know what's good for you. And don't even get me started on Main Street U.S.A. and the Monorail...

:P

Now that was funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: