PDA

View Full Version : Why was Holmes allowed in meetings?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-07-2010, 12:47 AM
So, I'm reading this article on Santonio's return to the Jets:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b1cd4f/article/holmes-returns-to-jets-practice-ready-to-get-season-started?module=HP_headlines)

And come across this part.....

Although he hadn't practiced since camp ended, Holmes was able to attend meetings during his suspension.

Is this true? Santonio is allowed to go to team meeting while Ben was not allowed to have any contact with anyone from the organization during his suspension.

WTF???

And then I read further and laughed.....

"I've been the same person since I stepped foot in the NFL. I'll continue being the same person until I leave. I didn't have anything to think about.

So he had a nice Wake n' Bake this morning, tweeted that Jets fans should kill themselves and headed off for practice?

and then a little further read this:

"I made it to the Super Bowl and won it, didn't I?" Holmes said. "That's all I had to do with myself. I didn't have anything to think about. I'm a football player. What happens off the field happens off the field. It doesn't affect anything I do or what I'm capable of doing."

Wow, just a little ego-centric huh? But that's okay. Keep doing what you do off the field, it hasn't hurt you so far. Luckily he doesn't play in a league that will suspend players for off-field behavior. :roll: At least he has flown under the radar so far in his career so anything that happens will just be a first offense and dealt with lightly. :roll:

Oviedo
10-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Another BS rule of the stupid discipline policies that exist states that if you are suspended for substance abiuse you can be with the team but if it is personal conduct you cannot. I guess the league considers being a person who willingly decides to be a doper isn't a personal conduct issue but just being a victim of evil Mary Jane.

Once again total BS.

Djfan
10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Yeah. Instead of Goodell fixing issues like unfair treatment of players and discipline, or the need for professional refs, he spends time on moving games to other countries, and taking the probowl from Hawaii.

This guy is all appearance and no substance. What a tool.

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Holmes was allowed in meetings because he is an idiot who won't benefit from them.

proudpittsburgher
10-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Holmes was allowed in meetings because he is an idiot who won't benefit from them.

:lol:

Crash
10-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Simple, the NFL condones drug use.

Pahn711
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Roethlisberger's situation garnered much more media attention, of course he was gonna get the stricter punishment. Its all about public image, nothing more.

What I'm more curious about is why the heck weren't Holmes and Roethlisberger working out together over the last 4 weeks. Is their relationship that strained? I would think an NFL quarterback would benefit most from playing with NFL-caliber recievers, not college rejects.

cruzer8
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Roethlisberger's situation garnered much more media attention, of course he was gonna get the stricter punishment. Its all about public image, nothing more.

What I'm more curious about is why the heck weren't Holmes and Roethlisberger working out together over the last 4 weeks. Is their relationship that strained? I would think an NFL quarterback would benefit most from playing with NFL-caliber recievers, not college rejects.

It's got nothing to do with that. Violate the PC and you're banned from the facilities & all contact with the team.

Substance abuse. You can't play or practice but you can be around the team.

Pahn711
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM

It's got nothing to do with that. Violate the PC and you're banned from the facilities & all contact with the team.

And you don't think that policy has more to do with public image than the severity of the violation? Thats all I'm saying.

SteelTorch
10-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah. Instead of Goodell fixing issues like unfair treatment of players and discipline, or the need for professional refs, he spends time on moving games to other countries, and taking the probowl from Hawaii.

Don't forget trying to force an 18-game season on the players. :wink:

cruzer8
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM

And you don't think that policy has more to do with public image than the severity of the violation? Thats all I'm saying.

It's quite possible. But based on what you posted I didn't know that was your angle. :)

Djfan
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM

My bad.

I think that if we started a "what has goodell done wrong as the commish" thread it would be very long.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2010, 03:44 PM

My bad.

I think that if we started a "what has goodell done wrong as the commish" thread it would be very long.

Are you suggesting that we change the title of the 22 page post-fest to Roger Goodell is HOT garbage? :lol:

Djfan
10-07-2010, 11:43 PM

My bad.

Are you suggesting that we change the title of the 22 page post-fest to Roger Goodell is HOT garbage? :lol:

Don't insult Ariens, or don't insult Goodell. Whichever one is funnier to you.

Dee Dub
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
This answer to this question is very simple.

Have you ever been to a team meeting on weed, man?....

...have you ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill... on weed? Oh, there's some crazy ****t, man. There's a dude in the bushes. Has he got a gun? I dunno! RED TEAM GO, RED TEAM GO.

MaxAMillion
10-12-2010, 01:11 AM
It is part of the labor agreement. You can practice with the team while suspended. I wish Holmes was still here. The Steelers were better with him than without him. If you think Holmes is the only guy smoking weed then you are sadly mistaken. Believe it or not, there are non football players Holmes age who like to smoke weed.

Baby Rooney should have never decided to trade Holmes for next to nothing.

hawaiiansteel
10-12-2010, 01:19 AM
It is part of the labor agreement. You can practice with the team while suspended. I wish Holmes was still here. The Steelers were better with him than without him. If you think Holmes is the only guy smoking weed then you are sadly mistaken. Believe it or not, there are non football players Holmes age who like to smoke weed.

I don't think it was only the wake n baking, some of those Twitter messages Holmes sent out were really unacceptable such as inviting a Steelers fan to commit suicide... :wft

stlrz d
10-12-2010, 08:15 AM

If you think Holmes is gone for only smoking weed then you are sadly mistaken.