PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 10:20 PM
The Steelers Are Slowly Becoming Mike Tomlin’s Team

Posted on October 6, 2010 by adam

At some point over the past four seasons, perhaps after Super Bowl XLIII, you’ve heard somebody, somewhere, say of Mike Tomlin … “Well, he’s only winning because he has Bill Cowher’s players.”

Or something along those lines.

It’s the same thing Jon Gruden went through in Tampa Bay after he took “Tony Dungy’s team” to a level Dungy never approached — the Super Bowl. To this day that Buccaneers team (which included Tomlin on its coaching staff, by the way) is still referred to as “Tony Dungy’s team.” I’ve always hated this logic. For one, it’s not exactly easy to take over a locker room full of established NFL veterans and the ego’s they carry and win them over with a new way of doing things, and then getting them to go out and win a Super Bowl. Especially when the new coach was able to do it after the previous coach (in this case, Dungy) failed year after year.

Tomlin, of course, endured a similar thing in Pittsburgh because he was taking over a team with a cupboard full of talent, and following in the footsteps of a future Hall of Fame head coach that had won a Super Bowl just two years earlier. But it’s important to keep in mind that the team Tomlin took over for wasn’t a Super Bowl champion, but a team that went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

Of course, Cowher’s presence is still felt on this team in a huge way with guys like Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Kiesel and Max Starks still playing at an extremely high level. But sooner or later we’re going to have to stop looking at this team as the one Bill Cowher assembled, and start viewing it as a team that Mike Tomlin has had a hand in building. And slowly but surely we’re starting to reach that point.

Let’s take a look at how “The Tomlin Drafts” have started to make an impact on this year’s team. In some cases it’s a huge impact, like Lawrence Timmons; in other cases, it could be one of the “little things” like David Johnson making a key block on a 50-yard touchdown run in overtime…

2007: Five Players Remaining — Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, Matt Spaeth, Daniel Sepulveda, William Gay

In 2007 I was still working for the man, aimlessly wandering around trying to figure out what I wanted with life (not that I’ve figured it out in the years since). I remember going into the office the Monday following this draft and hearing from a co-working about how awful the Steelers messed up because Lawrence Timmons was a reach (though, to be fair, we all thought that at the time), LaMarr Woodley couldn’t rush the passer(!) and why in the hell would you trade up to take a punter?

Today? Boom.

After being a role-player for the first two years of his career, Timmons became a full-time starter a year ago and struggled through an injury-plagued season. Now that he’s fully healthy he looks to be a complete freak in the middle of the defense, and after four weeks has more tackles than any other player in the NFL. He’s improved against the run, he’s a menace on the blitz, and he’s athletic enough to cover wide receivers, let alone tight ends and running backs. I still think he can be everything Kendrell Bell was supposed to be.

We had our first real taste of what Woodley was capable of during the playoff game against Jacksonville in 2007. The Jaguars couldn’t block him during that game as he recorded two sacks and spent most of his night in Jacksonville’s backfield. The next season he took over the starting job opposite James Harrison and has become one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL, recording 26 sacks since the start of the ’08 season.

Trading up for a punter may be unorthodox and a bit bizarre, but Sepulveda’s leg has been huge for the Steelers this season in the field position game, which is quite important given the state of the passing game over the first month of the season. Plus, I never get tired of watching this…

William Gay is the new Deshea Townsend, and yes, that’s a good thing. If you recall Townsend’s career with the Steelers he struggled to crack the starting lineup early on, and spent parts of the first five years of his career as a nickle back. In 2008 and the early parts of 2010, Gay has proven to be a more than capable player in a similar role, even if he’s not quite ready to be a starter.

2008: Three Players Remaining — Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Dennis Dixon

Overall, this was one of the worst draft classes in recent Steelers memory. Mendenhall is turning into a top-level running back, while the rest of the class has been a large disappointment.

2009: Four Players Remaining – Ziggy Hood, Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, David Johnson

It’s tough to evaluable a draft class after just one full season, but Ziggy Hood is stuck behind three aging, but still excellent starters up front. Even so, he’s been a positive player in the Steelers defensive line rotation and is just waiting for his time to start.

We still haven’t seen what Mike Wallace is fully capable of this season, almost entirely due to the revolving door at quarterback, but after four games he’s once again leading the league in yards per catch after also doing so as a rookie.

Still need to see more from Keenan Lewis and David Johnson.

2010: Eight Players Made The Team – Maurkice Pouncey, Jason Worilds, Emmanuel Sanders, Thaddeus Gibson, Crezdon Butler, Stevenson Sylvester, Jonathan Dwyer, Antonio Brown

Still way too early to make any definitive statements about this class, but the early returns are very positive. Maurkice Pouncey might already be the best player on the offensive line, while Jason Worilds, Emmanuel Sanders, Stevenson Sylvester and Antonio Brown have all made sizable contributions to an improved special teams unit.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/s ... #more-2230 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/steelers-slowly-mike-tomlins-team/#more-2230)

Captain Lemming
10-07-2010, 12:23 AM
[b]
Still way too early to make any definitive statements about this class, but the early returns are very positive. Maurkice Pouncey might already be the best player on the offensive line, while Jason Worilds, Emmanuel Sanders, Stevenson Sylvester and Antonio Brown have all made sizable contributions to an improved special teams unit.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/s ... #more-2230 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/steelers-slowly-mike-tomlins-team/#more-2230)

I could not disagree more strongly.....with the expression "might already be" . :wink:

Chachi
10-07-2010, 01:16 AM
When was the last time eight rookie draft picks made the team? Ever?

We are at 5% of the precincts reporting and have a 80-20 lead. Early returns are very positive.

Steelers>NFL
10-07-2010, 07:47 AM

We are at 5% of the precincts reporting and have a 80-20 lead. Early returns are very positive.

I agree. But the team was/is getting old. At least from the age stand point.
So it was maybe bound to happen sooner or later.

Djfan
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM

I agree. But the team was/is getting old. At least from the age stand point.
So it was maybe bound to happen sooner or later.

It's happening and it's going well. Kudos to Tomlin for dealing with this transition.

rpmpit
10-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I've pretty much felt it was Coach Tomlin's team the day he took over. Probably because I was disgusted at the way Cowher coached (and I use the term "coached" loosely) his last year. But also because Tomlin has acted like it was his team from day 1. Call it confidence, arrogance, whatever...it has worked!!

I've also always felt that releasing Porter was Tomlin's first strategic step in making the Steelers his team. Porter was too big of a personality/ego/leader and Tomlin needed to get rid of him.

grotonsteel
10-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I expect a lot from 2010 draft...they got some players with huge potential.

I am really hoping for Crezdon Butler to take the starting CB spot next year or atleast upstage Kennan Lewis.

Or will Butler be converted into a backup Safety?

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I've pretty much felt it was Coach Tomlin's team the day he took over. Probably because I was disgusted at the way Cowher coached (and I use the term "coached" loosely) his last year. But also because Tomlin has acted like it was his team from day 1. Call it confidence, arrogance, whatever...it has worked!!

I've also always felt that releasing Porter was Tomlin's first strategic step in making the Steelers his team. Porter was too big of a personality/ego/leader and Tomlin needed to get rid of him.
:Agree

It's not like Tomlin came in and went on cruise control.

Porter was released, he made an example out of Hampton... and the guy went for it on damn near every 4th and goal when we all knew our OL sucked azz.

Cowher would have kicked FG's every time.

grotonsteel
10-07-2010, 12:17 PM

rpmpit
10-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Always knew you were one of the smartest guys on here, dizz :lol:

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Always knew you were one of the smartest guys on here, dizz :lol:

:Cheers

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Steelers: Tweeting OK, but no talking shop

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin doesn't care if his players are avid social media users. Just as long as they don't talk shop.

Although quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's return from a four-game suspension is certain to be a subject of locker room conversation this week, Tomlin doesn't want his players posting messages on Twitter, Facebook or similar sites about any team-related issues.

Aware that tweets by NFL players occasionally cause a stir — the Bengals' Terrell Owens tweeted an hour before kickoff Sunday, in apparent violation of NFL rules — Tomlin said football matters are off limits.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/art ... 703540.php (http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/article/Steelers-Tweeting-OK-but-no-talking-shop-703540.php)

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 06:18 PM
But i was "craaaaaazy" for stating a long time ago that Tomlin would be to us what Gruden was to Dungy's personnel. ( ultimately leading to the deterioration of their (Bucs) franchise)

Pouncey and Wood are true studs granted. But IMO their selections are greatly offset by Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Urbik, Matt Spaeth, Ryan Mundy, trading up for a f#cking Kicker, Joe Burnett, Jason Worilds and Drafting Hood and Timmons too high.

Make no mistake,..Tomlin believes that he does not need productive blue chip collegiate prospects to win. And that all he's needs are mediocre guys whom he can "inspire" via coachspeak and rhetoric to "Unleash Hell".

Possibly to validate himself as a mediocre collegiate player in a sense of "See i told you i could have played in the NFL as well if only someone would have given me a shot !" ?

stlrz d
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
But i was "craaaaaazy" for stating a long time ago that Tomlin would be to us what Gruden was to Dungy's personnel. ( ultimately leading to the deterioration of their (Bucs) franchise)

Pouncey and Wood are true studs granted. But IMO their selections are greatly offset by Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Urbik, Matt Spaeth, Ryan Mundy, trading up for a f#cking Kicker, Joe Burnett, Jason Worilds and Drafting Hood and Timmons too high.

Make no mistake,..Tomlin believes that he does not need productive blue chip collegiate prospects to win. And that all he's needs are mediocre guys whom he can "inspire" via coachspeak and rhetoric to "Unleash Hell".

Possibly to validate himself as a mediocre collegiate player in a sense of "See i told you i could have played in the NFL as well if only someone would have given me a shot !" ?

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/4/04apr23-awesome-fail.jpg

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 07:51 PM

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/4/04apr23-awesome-fail.jpg

:lol: :lol: C'mon D,... you don't have to post pics of yourself enraged. You can just disagree. By the way,..what is it with you Rust belt cats with the funny style clothing, poor grooming habits and Pabst Blue Ribbon ? :lol: :lol:

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 07:54 PM

You do sound "craaaaaazy" to me. LOL!!!

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Yea well,..you know how i do Dizz. :lol: But on realz though,..."wait... for it",....

feltdizz
10-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Yea well,..you know how i do Dizz. :lol: But on realz though,..."wait... for it",....

:lol: well, at least you are consistent.

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 08:42 PM

:lol: well, at least you are consistent.

Gotta stand for something dude. Or else the whole "falling for anything" bit comes into play,... and,... nobody really wants that right ? :lol:

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2010, 08:43 PM

Timmons is playing well enough this season to justify his selection at the #15 slot in the 1st round...

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Timmons is playing well enough this season to justify his selection at the #15 slot in the 1st round...

I gotta disagree there Hawaiian. Timmons playing at an relatively above average level 4 seasons after being drafted 15TH OVERALL for a few games does not scream of vindication for Tomlin for me when the truth is,....and anyone who has played football on any level after pop Warner Knows,......if you are indeed a special player... you will be on the field proving as much sooner rather than later without someone having to "create" a spot for you. (especially at league level.)

You get all these Tomlin apologists saying "our scheme is so complex,..no one could come in and play right away". Well,..what about Troy and Wood ? Both actual productive studs in college whom were starting by their second seasons and have been to Pro bowls. Or what about Peezy,...was he not starting by his second season and playing lights out ? (And don't give me the he (Timmons) was injured bizness,..he was'nt performing well before that)

There are many other scenarios around the league from the past to present on both sides of the ball that state,..if you are "that Dude" then you are,..whether it's on a poor team or not. Or,.. your a contributor, or a project player with potential whom plateaus at best and flops at worst.

In his defense he (Timmons) never said he was the second coming of Greg lloyd or Derick Brooks,... that's Tomlin's B.S. But i was not buying it then and i am still not.

Kid
10-13-2010, 09:16 PM
i still think it will be few more years before you can call this tomlin's team. i have yet to hear that tomlin is calling the shots offensively, defensively or during the draft. he is doing a good job at what he was hired for.

Ozey74
10-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I have a feeling Mike Wallace is going to be "scary good". I know it is early in his career, but I just have a sense about him that he will be a top 3 WR in this league sooner than later.

He has already softening the whiff that is Limas Sweed.

:tt2

SteelCzar76
10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
i still think it will be few more years before you can call this tomlin's team. i have yet to hear that tomlin is calling the shots offensively, defensively or during the draft. he is doing a good job at what he was hired for.

I'll agree with that in terms of him Tomlin being a good motivator Kid. He's articulate, witty, intelligent and passionate about the game.

However,...my only grievance is with him having any major influence and or effect upon our personnel selection process. Which,..let's be honest,.. he does.

Colbert is a "puppet" GM,..that's why he was brought in the first place to merely serve as a 'figurehead' for Coach Cower's selections after all of the Drama between him (Coach Cowher) and Tom Donahoe.

This is why our supposed "Draft philosophy" so drastically changed when Tomlin became Head Coach. (Ie: taking LB's, RB's, and 4-3 Dt's in the first round. And trading up for punters)

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2010, 09:57 PM

I gotta disagree there Hawaiian. Timmons playing at an relatively above average level 4 seasons after being drafted 15TH OVERALL for a few games does not scream of vindication for Tomlin for me

in my opinion, Lawrence Timmons is currently playing at a Pro Bowl level (he was #1 in the NFL in tackles before the bye week)

out of curiosity, I looked up the #15 selections in the 1st Round for this decade and I would rather have Timmons than any of them.

2000 - Deltha O'Neal CB Cal
2001 - Rod Gardner WR Clemson
2002 - Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
2003- Jerome McDougle DT Miami, Fla
2004 - Michael Clayton WR LSU
2005 - Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
2006 - Tye Hill CB Clemson
2007 - Lawrence Timmons LB Fla St
2008 - Branden Albert OT Virginia
2009- Brian Cushing LB USC
2010 - Jason Pierre Paul DE S Fla

aggiebones
10-13-2010, 11:50 PM
This whole topic is off to me. Tomlin doesn't hnd pick players in the draft and CERTAINLY not early in his tenure. I realize it falls on his head regardless, but can you guys understand that everyone from the scuots to the Rooneys have a strong voice in our picks. And yes, even a GM.
Tomlin didn't pick Lebeau or Arians as coaches. The Rooneys did.
Tomlin is beginning to take the team as he should, but picking apart every draft picks is asinine.

Timmons is playing VERY well and has not peaked at all BTW. Go look back at that draft/ About half the guys taken above him are busts or mediocre. Looking at the 15-20 after him, its about the same. Some kids don't cut it and he DOES.
We miss (tomlin or whoever you want to blame), but over the long course, not as often as most other teams.

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2010, 03:33 PM
This whole topic is off to me. Tomlin doesn't hnd pick players in the draft and CERTAINLY not early in his tenure. I realize it falls on his head regardless, but can you guys understand that everyone from the scuots to the Rooneys have a strong voice in our picks. And yes, even a GM.
Tomlin is beginning to take the team as he should, but picking apart every draft picks is asinine.

Timmons is playing VERY well and has not peaked at all BTW. Go look back at that draft/ About half the guys taken above him are busts or mediocre. Looking at the 15-20 after him, its about the same. Some kids don't cut it and he DOES.
We miss (tomlin or whoever you want to blame), but over the long course, not as often as most other teams.

I completely agree with what you said, but the prevailing rumor has always been that Tomlin fell in love with Timmons and lobbied hard for him.

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM

I completely agree with what you said, but the prevailing rumor has always been that Tomlin fell in love with Timmons and lobbied hard for him.

Good thing if he did. Timmons has been fantastic!

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Thank goodness he did. I have no idea what the deal is with the Timmons bashing.

Troy and Woodley got reps as rookies but they weren't tearing it up like they are now. For some reason a few fans want our rookies on the field regardless of their impact.

It's not to make our team better.. it's just to satisfy their own weird draft fantasies.

Wasn't Timmons on the field when Harrison had the 100 yard INT return in the superbowl in 2008? Oh yeah... that doesn't count. He has to be a pro bowler his first year or he is a bust.

I think guys like Czar will never admit they were wrong about Timmons.. it's OK, but it does make them look foolish ranting about this and that while the guy is dominating.

SteelCzar76
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM

Thank goodness he did. I have no idea what the deal is with the Timmons bashing.

Troy and Woodley got reps as rookies but they weren't tearing it up like they are now. For some reason a few fans want our rookies on the field regardless of their impact.

It's not to make our team better.. it's just to satisfy their own weird draft fantasies.

Wasn't Timmons on the field when Harrison had the 100 yard INT return in the superbowl in 2008? Oh yeah... that doesn't count. He has to be a pro bowler his first year or he is a bust.

I think guys like Czar will never admit they were wrong about Timmons.. it's OK, but it does make them look foolish ranting about this and that while the guy is dominating.

So after 4 games,..your saying Timmons is a DOMINANT player ? C'mon Dizz you don't think that you and others may want to hold off saying that at least until the season's over with ? Bragging about an ILB racking up tackles is like bragging about sh#t that you are supossed to do. Ie: " Yeah fool,..i am an adult and i can read. Or "Yeah fool i'm a grown azz man and i'm employed !" :lol: There is a lot of Football left to be played.

Oh yeah,. and i am not a person prone to fantasy of any kind. Therefore you and anyone else can feel free to mock my words and attempt to "sneak diss" until your hearts are content.

But that makes no difference to me whatsoever because i'm aware that you only do so because there is truth in what i say. And as such,... it's stings you for whatever reason.

So i think it's fair to say that no matter what any say here to "fit in" and tow the company line,....in your heart of hearts,....you know that Timmons is not "All world" and was a reach.

Just like you know that the vast majority of the players drafted in the Tomlin era are either Bums or of "career backup quality". And if we keep Drafting as such,.. it WILL catch up with this Franchise in the worst way.

Coach Cowher's men cannot play forever. And coach Lebeau will not always be here to make suspect personnel look world class by confusing opposing offenses with his scheme.

With that said,..i'm done. As in reality there is no debate. And the bottom line for me is seeing this Franchise winning and strong.

stlrz d
10-14-2010, 05:00 PM
With that said,..i'm done.

http://clydetombaugh.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/17/homerwoohoo.jpg

Sugar
10-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I gotta say I've been very happy about Coach Tomlin. When he was announced I was a bit skeptical as I thought he was only even interviewed as a Rooney Rule candidate. That changed quick and I really like his style a lot.

IMO, his drafts have been pretty good and I think he's doing a good job at preparing for the future as well as winning in the now. We saw how HOF coaches like Cowher and Noll both struggled with sub-par QB's even with dominant D's. Hopefully, we won't have to see Coach T deal with that problem anytime soon.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 06:02 PM
There wasn't a sneak diss Czar. It is what it is.. a diss.

There isn't a company line to tow... You can keep calling Timmons a reach but last year he played at a high level. This year he is even better. It's not just the tackling numbers that are impressive. It's where they occur, the closing speed and the authority applied that impresses most fans.

You remind me of Yankee fans who booed ARod his first 2 years because he didn't hit a homerun every at bat. 2 years later he is crushing balls and the crowd is cheering but you are that one fool in the crowd still booing and talking about 2 years ago.

Your rants about Timmons and Tomlin don't sting... they tickle. You called Timmons a reach and you were wrong and can't stand it. That last post stinks of pure bitterness. :lol:

Our drafts have improved every year since Tomlin arrived and this year is the best yet. I know it hurts! LOL.

SteelCzar76
10-14-2010, 06:44 PM

There isn't a company line to tow... You can keep calling Timmons a reach but last year he played at a high level. This year he is even better. It's not just the tackling numbers that are impressive. It's where they occur, the closing speed and the authority applied that impresses most fans.

You remind me of Yankee fans who booed ARod his first 2 years because he didn't hit a homerun every at bat. 2 years later he is crushing balls and the crowd is cheering but you are that one fool in the crowd still booing and talking about 2 years ago.

Your rants about Timmons and Tomlin don't sting... they tickle. You called Timmons a reach and you were wrong and can't stand it. That last post stinks of pure bitterness. :lol:

Our drafts have improved every year since Tomlin arrived and this year is the best yet. I know it hurts! LOL.

Let me get this straight,.... now you are saying that Timmons is or will ever be the Football equivalent to A-Rod ?! :lol: :lol: As well as,....you feel that this year's Draft was Tomlin's best thus Far ! ?

What can i say,.... indeed you may be the expert on Foolishness. :lol:

Again,.,,i'm not playing grab azz with you or anyone else on the subject anymore. You know what's up, whether you admit it or not publicly Dizz.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2010, 07:21 PM
When he was announced I was a bit skeptical as I thought he was only even interviewed as a Rooney Rule candidate.

Since we had interviewed Ron Rivera early in the process, the Rooney Rule was already satisfied before Tomlin was ever brought in. No rule forced them to have to interview a Black man after they interviewed a Latino and a couple of White guys. Tomlin was interviewed because he was qualified as such...not because of a need to fulfill a minority requirement.

feltdizz
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Let me get this straight,.... now you are saying that Timmons is or will ever be the Football equivalent to A-Rod ?! :lol: :lol: As well as,....you feel that this year's Draft was Tomlin's best thus Far ! ?

Again,.,,i'm not playing grab azz with you or anyone else on the subject anymore. You know what's up, whether you admit it or not publicly Dizz.

I'm definitely not comparing Timmons to ARod...

I'm comparing YOU to that one Yankee fan who still says ARod is a bum because of his first year. While everyone else sees Timmons playing at a high level you are still complaining about draft day.

SteelCzar76
10-15-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm definitely not comparing Timmons to ARod...

I'm comparing YOU to that one Yankee fan who still says ARod is a bum because of his first year. While everyone else sees Timmons playing at a high level you are still complaining about draft day.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uzq_FoZ2ys0/SUEsTDfCuiI/AAAAAAAAAj8/LzfVdLYIT5o/s400/Nipsey+Russell.jpg

"Riiiiiiiiiiiiight"

feltdizz
10-15-2010, 12:21 PM

I always get a kick out of people who intentionally dumb themselves down. C'mon Czar, you are smarter than that. 8)

SteelCzar76
10-15-2010, 12:33 PM

I always get a kick out of people who intentionally dumb themselves down. C'mon Czar, you are smarter than that. 8)

:lol: It's good Dizz. Stand fast as i will. Neither one of us has to "like" what the other says, or run through a field of daisies together, (and there sure won't be any long warm showers either. :lol: ).......but we can respect it and keep it moving.

ikestops85
10-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I chuckle every time I read the title of this thread.

First let me say I loved Bill Cowher as the Steeler coach. I think he was one of the greatest motivational coaches the league has ever seen. He got more from less than anybody since Vince Lombardi. He wasn't the cerebral X's and O's guy like Noll was but damn, he got the guys up for the game. Unfortunately he quit coaching about a year before he left the Steelers which did put a little tarnish on him IMO.

Now for the reason I chuckle. This team became Tomlin's from the 1st day of his first training camp. He took over and did things his way. He told the players and coaches what he expected and had that 'board of responsibility' where if you screwed up he put your name on it. He didn't care who you were - a player or a coach. I think Ward's name was the first one on the board and he put his own on it several times. It didn't take long for the players to start to respect him for his words and actions.

Sorry but it is crap that people think this hasn't been or isn't Mike Tomlin's team. Just look how hard the players play for him and that 6th Lombardi trophy in the case to see it is his team.

feltdizz
10-15-2010, 07:55 PM

:lol: It's good Dizz. Stand fast as i will. Neither one of us has to "like" what the other says, or run through a field of daisies together, (and there sure won't be any long warm showers either. :lol: ).......but we can respect it and keep it moving.

warm showers? :wft

BrownSteel
10-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Cowher was a good coach and excellent motivator, but if he was so good, why could he only win one super bowl in 15 seasons with talented teams. I once thought you could make an all star team just with the Steelers players who left via free agaency when Cowher was in charge. Tomlin has already equalled him in 4 seasons. If winning super bowls was so easy, why have so many teams not been able to do it. And why are teams not able to do it repeatedly. Coaching makes a difference. Tomlin is in control of this team and has them on the right track.

How many pundits even thought we would be 3-1 with a rotating qb situation? Many on here thought we would go 2-2 or even 1-3, some even predicted 0-4. How do you get players to produce like that? Coaching!!!!

BrownSteel
10-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Cowher was a good coach and excellent motivator, but if he was so good, why could he only win one super bowl in 15 seasons with talented teams. I once thought you could make an all star team just with the Steelers players who left via free agaency when Cowher was in charge. Tomlin has already equalled him in 4 seasons. If winning super bowls was so easy, why have so many teams not been able to do it. And why are teams not able to do it repeatedly. Coaching makes a difference. Tomlin is in control of this team and has them on the right track.

How many pundits even thought we would be 3-1 with a rotating qb situation? Many on here thought we would go 2-2 or even 1-3, some even predicted 0-4. How do you get players to produce like that? Coaching!!!!

feltdizz
10-15-2010, 07:59 PM
I chuckle every time I read the title of this thread.

First let me say I loved Bill Cowher as the Steeler coach. I think he was one of the greatest motivational coaches the league has ever seen. He got more from less than anybody since Vince Lombardi. He wasn't the cerebral X's and O's guy like Noll was but damn, he got the guys up for the game. Unfortunately he quit coaching about a year before he left the Steelers which did put a little tarnish on him IMO.

Now for the reason I chuckle. This team became Tomlin's from the 1st day of his first training camp. He took over and did things his way. He told the players and coaches what he expected and had that 'board of responsibility' where if you screwed up he put your name on it. He didn't care who you were - a player or a coach. I think Ward's name was the first one on the board and he put his own on it several times. It didn't take long for the players to start to respect him for his words and actions.

Sorry but it is crap that people think this hasn't been or isn't Mike Tomlin's team. Just look how hard the players play for him and that 6th Lombardi trophy in the case to see it is his team.

:Beer

maybe it's fear... maybe it's loyalty to the old heads but I agree 100%.

When you hear Tomlin speak you know it;s his team. It's not all rah rah gruden face..
The guy is scary intelligent in interviews and his communication skills are top shelf. I can see why Tomlin got the job... especially after seeing Russ Grimm walk out in a plaid shirt without a tie after his interview. What was he thinking?

SteelCzar76
10-15-2010, 09:46 PM

warm showers? :wft

It was an Eastwood from Heartbreak Ridge reference Dizz. :lol: :Cheers

Slapstick
10-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Right...

Because the Steelers really need to have Taylor Mays and Rey Maualuga...

:Blah :Blah :Blah :roll: :roll: :roll:

Slapstick
10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
...the truth is,....and anyone who has played football on any level after pop Warner Knows,......if you are indeed a special player... you will be on the field proving as much sooner rather than later without someone having to "create" a spot for you. (especially at league level.)

So, by this logic, James Harrison is not special...

Got it! :wink:

Steelerphile
10-15-2010, 10:45 PM

So after 4 games,..your saying Timmons is a DOMINANT player ? C'mon Dizz you don't think that you and others may want to hold off saying that at least until the season's over with ? Bragging about an ILB racking up tackles is like bragging about sh#t that you are supossed to do. Ie: " Yeah fool,..i am an adult and i can read. Or "Yeah fool i'm a grown azz man and i'm employed !" :lol: There is a lot of Football left to be played.

Oh yeah,. and i am not a person prone to fantasy of any kind. Therefore you and anyone else can feel free to mock my words and attempt to "sneak diss" until your hearts are content.

But that makes no difference to me whatsoever because i'm aware that you only do so because there is truth in what i say. And as such,... it's stings you for whatever reason.

So i think it's fair to say that no matter what any say here to "fit in" and tow the company line,....in your heart of hearts,....you know that Timmons is not "All world" and was a reach.

Just like you know that the vast majority of the players drafted in the Tomlin era are either Bums or of "career backup quality". And if we keep Drafting as such,.. it WILL catch up with this Franchise in the worst way.

Coach Cowher's men cannot play forever. And coach Lebeau will not always be here to make suspect personnel look world class by confusing opposing offenses with his scheme.

With that said,..i'm done. As in reality there is no debate. And the bottom line for me is seeing this Franchise winning and strong.

Will you still be holding on to this when Timmons is named to Pro Bowl? The vast majority of NFL observers recognize Timmons as an exceptional talent. You can't admit that because you've given so much effort to putting him down. You also can't acknowledge Mendenhall who is playing at an outstanding level because you've given so much energy to ripping him. You won't cite Wallace because he was drafted under Tomlin. I'm a little surprised that you will acknowledge Pouncey but a first year player performing at that level would be hard to find fault with, even in your world.

Only catastrophes will keep Tikmmons and Mendenhall out the Pro Bowl, and favorites of yours like Potsie are fading. Kemo is maybe an above average guard.

Somehow right now, the Steelers appear to be an NFL powerhouse and Roethlisberger is yet to get going. This is all under that bum Tomlin who loads up on plain as grits players. You can't keep giving credit to Cowher . That's played out. It's four years later. That's a career and lifetime for some people.

ikestops85
10-15-2010, 10:53 PM

I'll tell you why Cowher only won 1 SB. Steeler fans have over-rated the talent that was on the team. Sure, we had some players who were stars on our team but how many of them were really successful when they left? Woodson, maybe Peezy, and well, right off the top of my head that's all I can think of.

My point is just the opposite of what you are saying. The players that did leave the steelers rarely achieved the success they did with the steelers. Why is that? My answer is Cowher. He got the most out of them. He was a great coach in my book. I also think Tomlin is well on the way to the same type of legacy.

SteelCzar76
10-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Will you still be holding on to this when Timmons is named to Pro Bowl? The vast majority of NFL observers recognize Timmons as an exceptional talent. You can't admit that because you've given so much effort to putting him down. You also can't acknowledge Mendenhall who is playing at an outstanding level because you've given so much energy to ripping him. You won't cite Wallace because he was drafted under Tomlin. I'm a little surprised that you will acknowledge Pouncey but a first year player performing at that level would be hard to find fault with, even in your world.

Only catastrophes will keep Tikmmons and Mendenhall out the Pro Bowl, and favorites of yours like Potsie are fading. Kemo is maybe an above average guard.

Somehow right now, the Steelers appear to be an NFL powerhouse and Roethlisberger is yet to get going. This is all under that bum Tomlin who loads up on plain as grits players. You can't keep giving credit to Cowher . That's played out. It's four years later. That's a career and lifetime for some people.

Tell ya what dude,.....get at me when a team who's starters are made up of at least 85% (not even 100%) of players Drafted under Mike Tomlin does something substantial. Until then,.."get little". :lol:

SteelCzar76
10-16-2010, 03:05 PM

Right...

Because the Steelers really need to have Taylor Mays and Rey Maualuga...

:Blah :Blah :Blah :roll: :roll: :roll:

Your forgetting about trading up for Patrick Willis, or selecting Beason or Desean Jackson. :lol: 'Get Little'.

SteelCzar76
10-16-2010, 03:35 PM
...the truth is,....and anyone who has played football on any level after pop Warner Knows,......if you are indeed a special player... you will be on the field proving as much sooner rather than later without someone having to "create" a spot for you. (especially at league level.)

I don't recall Coach Cowher drafting Silverback 15th overall and telling the entire world that he was the second coming. Silverback (the UFA) is one of those very rare exceptions that NO ONE see's coming. Ask your boy Tomlin,...did he not expect to replace him (silverback) with his lover Timmons ?

Again,.....'Get little'. :lol:

eniparadoxgma
10-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Tell ya what dude,.....get at me when a team who's starters are made up of at least 85% (not even 100%) of players Drafted under Mike Tomlin does something substantial. Until then,.."get little". :lol:

Yeah, it's still "Cowher's Team". Here's a snack for ya:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8032/hatertots1.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/hatertots1.jpg/)

stlrz d
10-16-2010, 11:50 PM

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8032/hatertots1.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/hatertots1.jpg/)

Here's another one you could have thrown his way since it's so obvious.

http://futuredirt.com/images/goal_post.jpg

Seriously, how many current NFL coaches have rosters that are comprised of 85% of players drafted under their watch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu ... ad_coaches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coac hes)

Off of this list I'd say not too many. Cuz free agents don't count, right? The word "drafted" was used so I'd have to assume so, correct?

fordfixer
10-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Seriously, how many current NFL coaches have rosters that are comprised of 85% of players drafted under their watch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu ... ad_coaches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coac hes)

Off of this list I'd say not too many. Cuz free agents don't count, right? The word "drafted" was used so I'd have to assume so, correct?

Jeff Fisher :lol:

Oviedo
10-17-2010, 11:30 AM

I don't recall Coach Cowher drafting Silverback 15th overall and telling the entire world that he was the second coming. Silverback (the UFA) is one of those very rare exceptions that NO ONE see's coming. Ask your boy Tomlin,...did he not expect to replace him (silverback) with his lover Timmons ?

Yea the great Cowher cut Harrison and played talent like Clark Haggens in front of him.

SteelCzar76
10-17-2010, 12:02 PM

"get at me when a team who's STARTERS are made up of at least 85% (not even 100%) of players Drafted under Mike Tomlin does something substantial."

SteelCzar76
10-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Yea the great Cowher cut Harrison and played talent like Clark Haggens in front of him.

Because Harrison was performing like an UFA at the time. (In terms of his temperament and grasp of the defensive scheme)

When he later secured his shortcomings his play began to reflect the football monstrosity that he was capable of being. And NO ONE saw that coming.

But the the point is,...Harrison being a UFA had already achieved a great deal by simply making it to the league. Therefore the duration and potential failure of the process of him becoming a major contributor on the field for this organization was a risk that the franchise could afford to take. (as they did not invest a high 1st round selection to acquire him.)

This is where Coach Cowher excelled. Ie: He didn't have to reach in the first round for backers whom would become studs in our system. And Harrison aside,...most did so sooner rather than later.

stlrz d
10-17-2010, 01:05 PM
You're so full of fail dude. Got start a blog and post your inane ramblings there instead.