PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch - Arizona Cardinals

Lonbull
10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Let's just say for sake of conversation that the Cardinals inquired trading for Charlie Batch. Now I realize that because of his community work the Steelers are probably more interested in keeping Batch than trading him - I also realize that the Cardinals probably wouldn't be willing to give up much in the draft pick department to get a 35 year old QB.

**However with the Cardinals starting a rookie undrafted free agent this week - and Ben returning to the Steelers and Leftwich hopefully healthy after the bye - what would the Cardinals need to offer for *you to consider trading Charlie Batch at this point??

Consider that the Cardinals are currently tied in their division with the Rams and that Batch obviously knows the system - and knows a bulk of the players on the team.

The Cardinals are clearly going to need a young QB next season - and Batch is the perfect transition QB - what's your take?

Would you trade him at this point? What kind of draft pick is worth the trade??

L.B.

Discipline of Steel
10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
No, we need all our QBs this season... and I doubt he would want to go anyway. He's riding the Steeler train to the Super Bowl !

Shawn
10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Batch will be staying through the end of this year.

Lonbull
10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
No, we need all our QBs this season...

I'm not sure why we need "all" our QB's for the rest of the way - Ben and Leftwich are #1 & #2....if Dixon were healthy Batch would have been probably cut.

and I doubt he would want to go anyway. He's riding the Steeler train to the Super Bowl !

I don't know is sitting on the bench for the Steelers better than having the opportunity to be a starting QB for a potential playoff team?? I think most NFL QB's would take the opportunity to start - Leftwich did and that was for a horrible team.

L.B.

Lonbull
10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

And let's say the Cardinals offered up a 5th round pick for Batch - would that be the right choice in your opinion?

L.B.

Dee Dub
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I would in a heart beat. We do not need Charlie Batch. Charlie Batch is what Charlie Batch was on Sunday. A freakin emergency back up. He sucks big time.

Dee Dub
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM

And let's say the Cardinals offered up a 5th round pick for Batch - would that be the right choice in your opinion?

L.B.

Oh yes! Sign me up. :Cheers

The dude is horrible. He will never ever be anything more than he is. And Sunday versus a descent team he showed himself again.

Djfan
10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Since when is AZ a playoff team?

From Charlie's point of view, if the money were right it might just be a good idea.

Lonbull
10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Since when is AZ a playoff team?

From Charlie's point of view, if the money were right it might just be a good idea.

Djfan - They're currently tied at 2-2 at the top of their division with Seattle and the Rams.....I think just about any team in the NFL would have a shot in that weak division.

They've been to the playoffs the past two seasons - I don't know that Batch can get them very deep in the playoffs (that is if he can stay healthy at all) but the Cardinals are starting Max Hall this weekend.....

L.B.

Shawn
10-06-2010, 08:54 PM

L.B.

We got a 5th for Holmes. I know he had issues but a 5th for a very good WR. If we could get a 5th for Batch I would jump on it. My comment was made because I believe the Steelers will need 3 healthy QBs and Batch is a nice security blanket.

JTP53609
10-06-2010, 09:26 PM
charlie batch does not suck big time dee dub, he is an average qb, not great, but not poor, he knows what he is doing and let me just say that his pocket presence is the best trait of him, he has the qb clock that many do not have. he moves side to side nicely and feels the pressure at the right times. I like him as a backup.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2010, 09:59 PM
If we are in a position where we need Batch to take us the distance we are not going very far anyway.......I'd take the fifth rounder.

Discipline of Steel
10-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Nobody is going to trade a 5th round draft pick for Chuck and he is settled in PBurgh outside football so I doubt he's planning on going anywhere. This conversation is unrealistic.

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm just glad Whisenhunt didn't become the Steelers head coach...

Djfan
10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Nobody is going to trade a 5th round draft pick for Chuck and he is settled in PBurgh outside football so I doubt he's planning on going anywhere. This conversation is unrealistic.

I mostly agree, but some people are strange at times. I wouldn't be surprised, but would think it's stupid for someone to do. From Batch's angle, if they give him an offer, and he takes it because it's good, it won't impune his place in the eyes of the Yinzers, IMO. They will be glad that he got a payday and love him anyway.

Shawn
10-07-2010, 12:05 AM

I'm not sure that's true. The D would have to play lights out but this is a very good team even without Ben. With Ben this team is elite.

Lonbull
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
This conversation is unrealistic.

DOS - I will certainly agree that this trade is unlikely - but I don't think it's unrealistic.

My original question really pertained as to what Steeler fans thought Batch was worth...or what is the least they would accept in a trade. - not how unlikely or not it was.

Derek Anderson has been benched, and Whizenhunt has two very lowly drafted rookie QB 's to place on a 2-2 team......Batch obviously would know the system - I also don't know how in jeopardy Whizenhunt's job is right now. He's had several years to find a replacement for Warner, or get Leinart ready - and so far he's come up empty handed.

I'm not sure they weren't starting Dennis Dixon hoping he would show some potential so that after 4 weeks they could trade him.....also makes you wonder about Goodell reducing Ben's status from 6 weeks to 4 - considering the trade deadline.....a little far-fetched, sure but it's out there - :stirpot

L.B.

Djfan
10-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I think us trading DD to AZ is more likely, and makes more sense for both teams.

Notleadpoisoned
10-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I like Whisenhunt and all but Arizona's pathetic QB situation is inexcusable right now.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I think us trading DD to AZ is more likely, and makes more sense for both teams.

With Dixon on I.R., he wouldn't be able to help them this year anyway.

As for the original question, since Arizona has a crappy Derek Anderson and two rookies in UDFA Max Hall from BYU and 5th round pick John Skelton from Fordham, if the Cardinals would prefer a solid vet instead of 2 rookies, I'd trade Batch for Skelton straight up. Hall is more pro-ready and reminds the team more of Kurt Warner in terms of his body type (6'1" 205 lbs.) and playing style (BYU's up-tempo passing game), while Skelton has more of Big Ben body type (6'6" 244 lbs.) and a big arm. Skelton will take longer to adjust from Fordham to the NFL, but I thought he was a solid prospect during our pre-draft analyses.

It also would be funny if we ended up with Skelton, because he was taken with the pick that we got from the Jets for Santonio, then traded to Arizona for Bryant McFadden and the 6th round pick that turned into Antonio Brown. How weird would it be if we ended up with the guy who was ultimately taken with that much traveled pick when all was said and done? I'd like having Ben as our starter, Byron as our vet backup, and Skelton as our developmental 3rd QB.