PDA

View Full Version : Bires: It's time to get over hating Ben

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't hate Ben, I think Steelers fans who do are definitely in the minority...

Bires: It's time to get over hating Ben

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Tuesday October 5, 2010 11:57 PM

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/06bigben702723.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, right, talks with wide receiver Mike Wallace during his first practice back after a four-game suspension at the NFL football team's practice facility in Pittsburgh, Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

PITTSBURGH — From all indications, Ben Roethlisberger is a changed man. He appears sorry for past mistakes that tarnished his image. He seems willing to be just as terrific a person off the field as he is a player on the field.

So maybe it’s time for anyone still angry and disappointed in him to cut the guy a break.

Let’s move on.

Back in April when details of Roethlisberger’s wild birthday binge were made public, so many of us were infuriated with him. We were stunned that he could be so stupid and put himself in position to have a sexual assault accusation levied against him for the second time in less than a year.

I was so disappointed in him I wrote that I didn’t care if he ever threw another pass for the Steelers.

The Rooney family was so upset with Roethlisberger that they thought about trading him away.

Around that time, I remember getting an e-mail from a woman who was among those disheartened with Roethlisberger’s behavior. But she concluded her e-mail by saying we should all pray that he turns his life around.

Well, it appears he has.

He’s done his punishment. He sat out the first four games of the season. He abided by the NFL edict that he undergo professional behavior evaluation.

He’s avoided further trouble. He seems to be nice to everyone he encounters professionally and socially.

He’s done nothing to suggest that he’s going to revert back to his former ways and be a jerk again.

I really believe he’s learned a lesson. He knows that one more slip-up and he’s history.

If I were a fan, I don’t know if I’d ever wear a Roethlisberger jersey. But I must admit that I am looking forward to watching him playing football again.

I just think that it’s time that we all allow Roethlisberger to put his past behind him.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... g-ben.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/october/05/bires-its-time-to-get-over-hating-ben.html)

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Roethlisberger appears ready to go

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
Tuesday October 5, 2010 11:53 PM

PITTSBURGH — It didn’t take long for Ben Roethlisberger to prove he’s ready to play again.

Tuesday in his first practice in close to five weeks, he went deep on the first play of 11-on-11 drills and connected on a bomb to Mike Wallace.

“I just wanted to get one out there early to Mike and he made a good catch,” Roethlisberger said.

It was a very good day for Roethlisberger, who missed the first four games serving a suspension.

Because it rained Tuesday, practice was moved indoors at team headquarters. But that didn’t dampen the Steelers’ spirits as they reunited with their star quarterback.

“He’s a franchise quarterback, and it’s great having him back, seeing him out there smiling and running around with the guys,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “I was talking to him on the way in and asked him how it feels to be back. He said it was like his first day of school. He was the first one here today. He couldn’t wait to get out there with the guys.

“I’m glad to have him back. He definitely makes us a better club with us having him out there on the field. We’re 3-1 without him, but to get to where we want to go, we have to have him out there.”

Because the Steelers don’t play this weekend, they will only practice again today and Thursday and then be off until Monday. Roethlisberger’s first game will be Oct. 17 against Cleveland.

“Today was a good step,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t think it will take as long (to be game ready) as I thought. It’s almost like riding a bike.”

“His conditioning is not a concern at all and if you lay eyes on him you’ll understand what I’m talking about,” coach Mike Tomlin said on his weekly radio show. “He’s in great physical shape. His arm is in great shape. He’s ready for work.

“It’s just about being sharp, being football sharp, being able to recognize and identify pressure packages and change protection points and distribute the ball. Ultimately you’ve got to be able to do that under duress and sometimes the only duress that is legitimate is inside stadiums. So we understand that his progress is going to be measured on how he does in the stadium next Sunday.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... to-go.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/october/05/roethlisberger-appears-ready-to-go.html)

Crash
10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't see the words "No probable cause for an arrest" in there.

And that's half of Ben's problem. NO ONE will say it. Articles still give the ignorant reader the impression that he raped this woman and "got away with it".

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 04:06 PM

And that's half of Ben's problem. NO ONE will say it. Articles still give the ignorant reader the impression that he raped this woman and "got away with it".

Ben just got unlucky (twice) and ran into the wrong girls...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t204/PsychoBitch89/psychobitch04.gif

JAR
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
and he wasn't bad to begin with unless you fell for all of the media BS.

Crash
10-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Ben just got unlucky (twice) and ran into the wrong girls

The second one was the accuser's friend was pissed off she was removed from the VIP room for mentioning Reno. Then she and her other friend (Biancofiore) concocted this whole thing.

You think it's a coincidence that none of those girls, (especially Biancofiore who said the cop dragged her down the hall) would go to Pittsburgh and testify at Barravecchio's hearing? I don't. Because when you start messing around with cops' lives in THEIR COURT OF LAW, there will be consequences.

They accomplished what they set out to do: Embarrass Ben and ruin his reputation.

JAR
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Ben just got unlucky (twice) and ran into the wrong girls...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t204/PsychoBitch89/psychobitch04.gif

Right and two women who don't want their rapist behind bars

cruzer8
10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Some of us never hated him.

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 09:13 PM
looks like even Terry may be moving on...

Terry Bradshaw: 'You Can't Go Wrong With Big Ben'

10/06/2010 1:30 PM ET By Ryan Wilson
by Ryan Wilson

http://www.blogcdn.com/backporch.fanhouse.com/media/2010/10/terry-tmz1.jpg

It's been well documented that there is no love lost between former Steelers quarterback and Fox NFL analyst Terry Bradshaw and the just-reinstated Steelers signal caller Ben Roethlisberger. In fact, during Big Ben's four-game suspension, Bradshaw said that the organization should have dumped him, adding, "I don't know that you've proven to the NFL that you're on the right path. But I hope so. You acted recklessly. You hung out at college bars. You disrespected women."

Now, though, Bradshaw appears to be back on the bandwagon. Thanks to the ubiquitous TMZ presence, Terry gives an impromptu interview on the subject from the comfort of the passenger seat of a car ... sitting at a stop light.

TMZ: Should I start Ben Roethlisberger on my fantasy team?

Terry: Not this week. ... They got a bye this week.

TMZ: So next week should I start Ben Roethlisberger next week?

Terry: You can't go wrong with Big Ben -- yeah, go with it.
And with that, Terry was gone.

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/10/06/terry-bradshaw-you-cant-go-wrong-with-big-ben/

Crash
10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Did Bradshaw get divorced this week?

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Did Bradshaw get divorced this week?

All three of Bradshaw's marriages have ended in divorce, a subject he ridicules frequently on his pre-game show.

For example, on October 2, 2005, he began a Ten Yards with TB piece on the Eagles' Jeremiah Trotter by discussing Trotter's ejection from a game prior to the kickoff and joking, "Nobody's been thrown out of a house that quickly since my last divorce."

Also, on October 5, 2008, he compared the relationship between new Washington Redskins head coach Jim Zorn and starting quarterback Jason Campbell to a good marriage. Jimmy Johnson immediately joked, "What would you know about a good marriage?"

http://www.smokemag.com/0398/celeb.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Bradshaw

LordVile
10-07-2010, 01:23 AM
I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky-tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before ... my whole life was out of control"

-Terry Bradshaw

Maybe ben should take Bradshaw's advice about how to behave in HONKEY TONKS, or BARS for that matter..

I just got out of jail on Friday after doing 50 days in LA COUnty jail but when I was getting stripped searched and cracking my asss for a pig a few weeks ago, he saw my steeler tattoo on my arm and asks :Blah "So your a Steelers Fan, eh??" at which time I think the idiot is stating the obvious and I tell him "Yup". he then says "Before or after he (big ben) got convicted for raping a woman??" I smartly replied "Before".... Woulda liked to defend big ben but then again, the pig probably woulda put me to sleep with a baton up my asss... I digress
:moon :Binky :oops:

hawaiiansteel
10-07-2010, 03:01 AM
I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky-tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before ... my whole life was out of control"

-Terry Bradshaw

Maybe ben should take Bradshaw's advice about how to behave in HONKEY TONKS, or BARS for that matter..

I just got out of jail on Friday after doing 50 days in LA COUnty jail but when I was getting stripped searched and cracking my asss for a pig a few weeks ago, he saw my steeler tattoo on my arm and asks :Blah "So your a Steelers Fan, eh??" at which time I think the idiot is stating the obvious and I tell him "Yup". he then says "Before or after he (big ben) got convicted for raping a woman??" I smartly replied "Before".... Woulda liked to defend big ben but then again, the pig probably woulda put me to sleep with a baton up my asss... I digress

not to pry, but what were you in for?

LordVile
10-07-2010, 03:28 AM

-Terry Bradshaw

not to pry, but what were you in for?

Disturbing the peace, probation violation but I fought the law and won.. charges dropped, no one showed and the pig erased the "supposed" video tape of me by mistake.. all clear
I got a Steelers Ring and bracelet made for me in jail, and we watched 3 games on Sundays... It brought a tear to my eye when I read in the daily news that Harrison got fined for unnecessary roughness on Vince Young.. so glad to be out and watch our team.

hawaiiansteel
10-07-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm very happy for you that you're out, seems like at least you were able to make the best of your time in there. Making Steelers jewelry is time well spent in my opinion...

now stop being so loud... :Cheers

steelblood
10-07-2010, 07:40 AM

The kid gets to return to a team that is 3-1 and make millions of dollars playing the game he loves. He has a chance to turn his image around. There will be many fans of other teams who call him Rapistburgher for the rest of his career, but they are the same sort as the folks around here that continue to call Ray Lewis a murderer, when (from the evidence) it is pretty clear that he is not.

drprwnap
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
looks like even Terry may be moving on...

Terry Bradshaw: 'You Can't Go Wrong With Big Ben'

10/06/2010 1:30 PM ET By Ryan Wilson
by Ryan Wilson

http://www.blogcdn.com/backporch.fanhouse.com/media/2010/10/terry-tmz1.jpg

It's been well documented that there is no love lost between former Steelers quarterback and Fox NFL analyst Terry Bradshaw and the just-reinstated Steelers signal caller Ben Roethlisberger. In fact, during Big Ben's four-game suspension, Bradshaw said that the organization should have dumped him, adding, "I don't know that you've proven to the NFL that you're on the right path. But I hope so. You acted recklessly. You hung out at college bars. You disrespected women."

Now, though, Bradshaw appears to be back on the bandwagon. Thanks to the ubiquitous TMZ presence, Terry gives an impromptu interview on the subject from the comfort of the passenger seat of a car ... sitting at a stop light.

TMZ: Should I start Ben Roethlisberger on my fantasy team?

Terry: Not this week. ... They got a bye this week.

TMZ: So next week should I start Ben Roethlisberger next week?

Terry: You can't go wrong with Big Ben -- yeah, go with it.
And with that, Terry was gone.

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/10/06/terry-bradshaw-you-cant-go-wrong-with-big-ben/

Fukc Terry. Before his spouting off about Ben, I had a lot of respect for him. No more. When you crucify someone for the similar things you did in your youth, it's the really defines the term HYPOCRITE! :HeadBanger

Crash
10-07-2010, 09:02 AM

The kid gets to return to a team that is 3-1 and make millions of dollars playing the game he loves. He has a chance to turn his image around. There will be many fans of other teams who call him Rapistburgher for the rest of his career, but they are the same sort as the folks around here that continue to call Ray Lewis a murderer, when (from the evidence) it is pretty clear that he is not.

Excuse me? Ray Lewis plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Then, he paid off the victims families to avoid a civil suit.

If he's innocent, why pay?

Djfan
10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Pretty boy Peyton paid a girl off and the media ignored it. Now he's St. Football to everyone.

It's all how you handle it and how the media handles it. Terry B ain't helping things.

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Pretty boy Peyton paid a girl off and the media ignored it. Now he's St. Football to everyone.

It's all how you handle it and how the media handles it. Terry B ain't helping things.

If you are talking about the teabag at UT how did you find out about it? I found out about in on ESPN. It was also in the local news media in Knoxville.. heck, Peyton wrote about it in a book and that's why he was sued after the fact for defamation.

They ran stories on it for at least a week if not more... but it was a teabagging incident in college, it's not going to get the attention of a NFL QB superstar sexual assault accusation.

I think you are right though... now he is St. Football. If you stay out of the media for negative things you tend to get rewarded for it if you play well.

Crash
10-07-2010, 11:07 AM

If you are talking about the teabag at UT how did you find out about it? I found out about in on ESPN. It was also in the local news media in Knoxville.. heck, Peyton wrote about it in a book and that's why he was sued after the fact for defamation.

They ran stories on it for at least a week if not more... but it was a teabagging incident in college, it's not going to get the attention of a NFL QB superstar sexual assault accusation.

I think you are right though... now he is St. Football. If you stay out of the media for negative things you tend to get rewarded for it if you play well.

Um, no, if you kiss media ass you get rewarded for it.

Still waiting for ONE local Pittsburgh media member to mention the Batch case.

sentinel33
10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
throughout the ordeal with ben it was quite unfortunate that he was pretty much discarded by everyone. the guy was accused of doing wrong but never charged. it was like every steeler fan forgot what it was like to make a mistake and be forgiven for it. So many people were so quick to rip him to shreds. To see the Rooneys react the way they did(the whole trade BS) was disheartening. Yeah the kid made some bad decisions and his actions were pretty deplorable. But to suggest a trade instead of recognizing that your star QB needs help was uncool. So quick to throw out thw garbage when all you have to do is wash it off and clean it up and what do you know good as new. maybe even better. I can say that i never lost faith in ben.he was a boy who lost his way, found his way back through adversity and became a man. This is just another incident in a long line of incidents(good and bad) that are shaping the legend of ben roethlisberger. In the end his career will be one of the greatest storys in the nfl. IMO.Get ready NFL-here come the juggernaut that is The Pittsburgh Steelers. Good Luck!

LordVile
10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm very happy for you that you're out, seems like at least you were able to make the best of your time in there. Making Steelers jewelry is time well spent in my opinion...

now stop being so loud... :Cheers

thank you my steeler bretheren. i'm on my best behaviour :lol: