PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2010 Week 4 – Ravens

redundantman
10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
1. Finally, a game that matters. A divisional opponent. Likely the Steelers only true competition for the AFC North. In as much as it is asking too much for the Steelers to go 3-1 without their starting QB we now must ask them to go 4-0.

2. I found hope in the opening drive. Flacco and the Ravens were making it look easy until Troy Polamalu stepped up and made a play. The result of the opening drive against the Steelers D is typically points for the opposing offense. In this case it was a missed field goal.
[youtube:3e9sp13q]U990QFyvN3M[/youtube:3e9sp13q]
I can play quarterback!

3. And on the Steelers opening drive I bought in to the idea that the Steelers could actually win when Batch laid that beautiful pass in to ARE and two plays later Mendenhall punched the ball into the end zone for 7! I have no problem with a game plan that calls for the Steelers trading missed field goals for touchdowns. That strategy is just crazy enough to work.

4. And then Flozell “the hotel” Adams laid that beautiful block on Charlie batch … and there it was. The sliver of doubt. However it’s not like you can blame Batch for running into him. I am more surprised that Batch doesn’t run into him more often.

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/getty/gyi0055745791.widec.jpg
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/ArtAndPhoto-Fronts/ENTERTAINMENT/080605/g-080605-Jessica%20Simpson-Romo-440p.hmedium.jpg
Look Jessica, it’s not what you think.

5. I remember this pink day from last year because Ed Hochuli’s hat with the pink ribbon and NFL shield reminds me of the Oilers derrick.
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/6c8e16d0b885240751e2bbe6eac42c97.jpg
What an “Ed Hochuli” might look like according to GIS …

6. I kept waiting for Ward to block someone into the upper mezzanine. It never happened. The storm clouds continued to gather on the horizon.

7. Quote of the day after Harrison gets flagged for Mason falling down was made by Phil Simms: “It’s like watching World Cup Soccer”.
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129129827846584165.jpg

8. The American space program would be much farther along in its goal of getting to Mars if they’d stop launching Coors Light (and its screw top bottles) into space.

9. At the end of the half how many shots did the Ravens have in the Red zone? 10? The result is still that Cundiff barely squeeks one through.

10. At the half I was thinking: “the Steelers would lose a close one unless Batch starts moving the offense. The D is good but not good enough.”
http://www.mollythornberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/miss-cleo.jpg

11. Memo to Jeff Reed: contrary to what you read in the comments section of that YouTube video you do not score 4 points if you hit the uprights.

12. It surprises me that the mindset has developed in one of history’s wealthiest nations that wearing ribbons of a certain color is an acceptable response to pain and suffering. I wonder if the NFL’s interest in breast cancer research is in any way correlated to their marketing demographics touting the “untapped” market of the female football fan.

13. Why do the Steelers not use Miller more consistently as a pass catcher?

14. So there is an estrogen-soaked version of the Honda Odyssey commercial that attempt to complement the now familiar testosterone-oriented version.

15. Did I see that right? Did Ike Taylor actually catch an interception?

16. Rays of sunshine … a nice, long, sustained drive in the second half capped with a Mendy TD. Perhaps the Steelers are going to pull this one out! At this point I actually started composing some preliminary thoughts based on a 4-0 scenario. I really wanted to see the Steelers win this one.
http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/lil_brudder.gif
He’s gonna make it on his own!

17. So all you football Xs and Os guys: what happened at the end of the game? What happened to the Steelers D? Was it just good old fashioned prevent defense letting us down or did the Ravens do something?

18. Final Cut: Of all the losses the Steelers can endure losing to the Ravens at home hurts the most. But we can take consolation that the Steelers are clearly among the NFL 2010 elite with three wins so far. This lofty and meaningful achievement ranks them with the likes of the Chiefs, the Texans and the Bears. If you had offered me 3-1 over Ben’s suspension at the offset of the season I would have taken that and ran. It is fair to say that 3-1 speaks to the character of this team and the ability of its coach. Tomlin had the Steelers prepared to play and believing they could win without Ben. But the clouds on the horizon remain. When the Steelers needed to play mistake free on offense, backed up to their goal line, nursing a 4 point lead, they committed 2 penalties on 3 plays and then committed another penalty on the punt. When the D absolutely had to make the stop they couldn’t. Everything is contextual right? So 3-1 begets cautious optimism in this case. It looks like the 2010 season has only just begun. Thank God for that.

JTP53609
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Fine job, that poor dog with the missing 2 legs

SteelCrazy
10-06-2010, 10:46 AM

This has driven me crazy for the last 3 years! Although Ben has been able to find Heath in spite of the play call and Big Bruce. Nicely done yet again redundant

ramblinjim
10-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I think Heath gets used more now that Ben is back.

Redundant - thanks for these!

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 01:22 PM

This has driven me crazy for the last 3 years! Although Ben has been able to find Heath in spite of the play call and Big Bruce. Nicely done yet again redundant

I think Ben likes going down field first...

I don't think Heath is ignored in the play calling. I would love to stop calling those TE screens though.. they suck.

I like the way Heath is used.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2010, 01:38 PM
We all remember that Heath Miller had 76 catches for 789 yards and 6 TD's last year, right?

Heath only has 10 catches so far for the same reason that Wallace has only 9 and Hines has only 12...we've been playing with the J.V. passing offense during the first month. This all changes with Ben now back in the fold.

phillyesq
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
We all remember that Heath Miller had 76 catches for 789 yards and 6 TD's last year, right?

Heath only has 10 catches so far for the same reason that Wallace has only 9 and Hines has only 12...we've been playing with the J.V. passing offense during the first month. This all changes with Ben now back in the fold.

His 76 catches was tied for 7th, and really, after Clark and Witten, there wasn't a lot of separation in catch numbers. With 3 more receptions, he would have been tied with Gates.

Redundantman, thanks as always.

redundantman
10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Sadder than you thought because lil brudder is missing three legs.
[youtube:1iv7c0uq]3HGwIFJneeY[/youtube:1iv7c0uq]

JTP53609
10-06-2010, 09:19 PM
[youtube:1jx6pv0l]3HGwIFJneeY[/youtube:1jx6pv0l]

i dont know what that is, but it is funny, funny indeed, thanks for the laugh, i sorta cried laughing so hard.

redundantman
10-06-2010, 10:13 PM
[youtube:2pn3vp08]3HGwIFJneeY[/youtube:2pn3vp08]

i dont know what that is, but it is funny, funny indeed, thanks for the laugh, i sorta cried laughing so hard.
StrongBad e-mails. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html)

redundantman
10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Thank you. I'll point out that many people have noted that the lack of attention to Miller will likely be addressed when Ben comes back.

redundantman
10-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I think Heath gets used more now that Ben is back.

Redundant - thanks for these!
Thank you. And here's to looking forward to Ben's return party being one for the record books!