PDA

View Full Version : #43 is great, but #91 is the unsung hero

msp26505
10-06-2010, 07:55 AM
No real surprise to many around here, but I'm disappointed folks don't appreciate Aaron Smith more.

While Troy's return means that Lebeau can take chances and draw up more exotic schemes, Aaron Smith's return has led to the D giving up just 62.3 YPG in the running game, down 27 yards from last year.

On the other hand, they actually have been giving up 11 YPG MORE (226.8 vs. 215.4) in the passing game this year than they did without Troy last year.

There are a few important factors to consider, though. Teams that know they CAN'T run on the Steelers throw the ball more, driving the passing totals up. Also, as we all know, many of those yards have been given up in garbage time, or when the D is in prevent.

Of course, Troy also helps in the run D and Aaron with the pass D, but I just think Aaron Smith is grossly under-appreciated, even among the Steeler faithful.

:Cheers

SteelTorch
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
No real surprise to many around here, but I'm disappointed folks don't appreciate Aaron Smith more.

While Troy's return means that Lebeau can take chances and draw up more exotic schemes, Aaron Smith's return has led to the D giving up just 62.3 YPG in the running game, down 27 yards from last year.

On the other hand, they actually have been giving up 11 YPG MORE (226.8 vs. 215.4) in the passing game this year than they did without Troy last year.

There are a few important factors to consider, though. Teams that know they CAN'T run on the Steelers throw the ball more, driving the passing totals up. Also, as we all know, many of those yards have been given up in garbage time, or when the D is in prevent.

Of course, Troy also helps in the run D and Aaron with the pass D, but I just think Aaron Smith is grossly under-appreciated, even among the Steeler faithful.

:Cheers
I don't think he's undervalued amongst the Steeler faithful at all. Ask anyone on this board, and they'll admit that losing him greatly hurt our defense last year, and that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Watch a game, and you'll often hear announcers talking about how underrated he is. Nope, he is far from an unsung hero anymore, at least among Steeler nation.

papillon
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I think the interesting aspect of Aaron Smith will come after he retires when the football writers get to evaluate him for the HOF. His position and role in the defense is difficult to quantify and apply HOF credentials to it. I think he'll get some love, but not enough to even get on the ballot and that's a shame. I think he deserves consideration.

Pappy

JTP53609
10-06-2010, 08:48 AM
nice post, but your singing to the choir.....if it were up to me I would pay the DLineman more than any other position, them and the OLinman, those guys do not whine or cry and basically beat each other all game, yet they get no glory or fame....Aaron Smith is outstanding and I am happy to be able to watch his career from the time he broke in..

stlrz d
10-06-2010, 09:00 AM
This forum is filled with praise for #91. We all know what he means to this team.

msp26505
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
This forum is filled with praise for #91. We all know what he means to this team.

That's why I started with "no real surprise to many around here".

I mean in the national media, he is often under-appreciated. There are definitely some who understand his impact, but because he is not a sack machine, his name is barely recognizable to much of the NFL

SteelTorch
10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

I mean in the national media, he is often under-appreciated. There are definitely some who understand his impact, but because he is not a sack machine, his name is barely recognizable to much of the NFL
But you also said this:

And I'm telling you I don't think that's true. I think vast majority of us have come to appreciate how much he means to the defense by now.

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Steeler Nation has Smith in the HOF already...

it's rare for a 3-4 end to get national recognition. Smith gets mentioned anytime talk of our 09 meltdown is discussed during games.

The front 3's job is to make sure the LB's get the glory. Since they do it means they are doing their job.

flippy
10-06-2010, 03:37 PM
This guy is the prototype for the 3-4 DE position. I've got him in my top 10 Steelers of all time right now.

Captain Lemming
10-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah he is good but can he "take it to Da HOUSE" like the mountain man Keisel? :lol:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... 0cb131fa26 (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Brett-Keisel---Post-Game---Tampa-Bay/accea0a6-bb88-4164-963c-310cb131fa26)

Awesome interview

"He" is truly unsung.

Discipline of Steel
10-06-2010, 06:25 PM
This guy is the prototype for the 3-4 DE position. I've got him in my top 10 Steelers of all time right now.

Thats a good choice. BTW, where do you have Lambert?

msp26505
10-06-2010, 09:01 PM

But you also said this:

And I'm telling you I don't think that's true. I think vast majority of us have come to appreciate how much he means to the defense by now.

Got it.

Thanks for setting me straight. :wink:

papillon
10-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Except for the other 31 offensive coordinators. :tt2

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I have always loved and spoken up about A. Smith. He could be the best 3-4 DE of all time but........there is no way that he gets any real HOF consideration. The only HOF consideration he gets is what was said in Coach Lebeau's speech.

Amongst Steeler faithful I think that the true unsung hero is Keisel. We often mention how underappreciated AS is, but in the following sentence will talk about how easily replaceable Keisel is.

flippy
10-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Thats a good choice. BTW, where do you have Lambert?

1. Ben
2. Terry
3. Troy P
4. Mean Joe
5. Jack Ham
6. Lambert
7. Dirt
8. Swann
9. Casey
10. Smitty

BUt this changes every day.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Except for the other 31 offensive coordinators. :tt2

Pappy

And 62 other RG's and RT's. :tt2 :tt1

Herewegosteelers!
10-08-2010, 09:56 PM
When these Cleveland Clowns fans around here say to me, "the Steeler D really missed Troy last year." I alway reply," having Aaron Smith and Troy back has really made a difference." I guess unless you're a Steeler fan, Aaron Smith doesn't get the credit he deserves.