PDA

View Full Version : Time for Ben to rebuild image

fordfixer
10-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Harris: Time for Ben to rebuild image
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 02729.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702729.html)
He's back. And not a moment too soon.

Never before has so much time and attention been devoted to an athlete who had absolutely nothing to do with his team's surprising 3-1 start.

Benmania -- catch it!

There will be television cameras whirring nonstop at the Steelers' compound this week. Grown men and women jostling for prime interview position and the right to report that Ben Roethlisberger is excited to be back and ready to make amends the first chance he gets Oct. 17 against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field.

Look!

Up in the sky!

It's a bird!

It's a plane!

No. It's a Sky Cam helicopter circling the Steelers practice field in search of No. 7.

The endless hype signaling Roethlisberger's official return to the team Monday helps explains why coach Mike Tomlin was extra surly following Sunday's 17-14 loss to Baltimore.

Asked about Roethlisberger riding in on a white horse to save the Steelers' season despite the team boasting the NFL's No. 5 defense, Tomlin sounded like he was on his way to a colonoscopy.

"We'll see him (Monday)," Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger not only has the opportunity to rebuild his tarnished reputation, he can become a positive example for others -- particularly impressionable young fans -- in how to turn your life around when faced with adversity.

It won't take much. Some 300-yard passing games, a couple of game-winning touchdown passes and -- voila! -- Roethlisberger's reputation will be as good as new.

It worked for Michael Vick, it can work for Roethlisberger.

Despite his legion of apologists who insist he was railroaded by commissioner Roger Goodell, Roethlisberger deserved to be suspended because he failed to uphold the standard of conduct expected from a franchise quarterback and one of the faces of the league.

The argument that other players were arrested and didn't receive a four-game suspension like Roethlisberger (who wasn't arrested), and this creates an unfair double-standard, is ridiculous. It's like me arguing that I was stopped for driving 75 mph on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when other cars driving even faster weren't stopped by state police. I shouldn't have been speeding in the first place.

Roethlisberger now has two weeks to reunite with his teammates and prepare for Cleveland. He'll be a welcome addition to an offense that has relied heavily on running back Rashard Mendenhall and averages only 136 passing yards a game.

"Nothing like having a full arsenal," Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden said.

Through four games, Hines Ward has 10 receptions for 100 yards and a touchdown. Do defenses have Ward's number, or does he miss the comfort level he developed with Roethlisberger? We'll soon find out.

Roethlisberger takes over an offense that made a strange call late in the fourth quarter against the Ravens while attempting to compensate for his absence.

Facing third and 10 at the Steelers' 3, quarterback Charlie Batch handed off to Mendenhall on what is normally a passing down. The play was designed for Mendenhall to run left despite him gaining most of his important yards on the right side.

Mendenhall was stopped for no gain.

Had he been playing, it's doubtful Roethlisberger would have given in so easily. He probably would have changed the play.

Now that Roethlisberger is back, can the offense be far behind?

His much-anticipated return gives the Steelers' attack a full complement of options on first, second and third down.

stlrz d
10-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Despite his legion of apologists who insist he was railroaded by commissioner Roger Goodell, Roethlisberger deserved to be suspended because he failed to uphold the standard of conduct expected from a franchise quarterback and one of the faces of the league.

http://www.bermudasucks.com/forum/Smileys/character/yawn.gif

Chachi
10-06-2010, 01:02 AM
What do I look forward to the most?

Had he been playing, it's doubtful Roethlisberger would have given in so easily. He probably would have changed the play.

:Beer :Boobs :Beer :Boobs

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 03:09 AM
October 5, 2010

Steelers and learning about yourself

I happened to run into Ben Roethlisberger at the Worldwide Headquarters of the Pittsburgh Steelers on the southside yesterday after doing "In the Locker Room with Tunch and Wolf" and kibitzed for a brief moment yesterday. Ben appeared fit and trim, ready to go, and anxious to kick-start his season.

From every personal encounter with Ben, to everything i've heard, I thought, I'm looking at a changed man. In going through difficult times, you tend to re-evaluate your life. You tend to look outside yourself, and the bubble you live in and take a gander from a different perspective. You learn about yourself. And then you do something about it.

The same thing has happened to the Steelers. They have learned about themselves as well. Whereas in the past, they might have tended to lean a little too heavily on #7, I think this team has learned they are more than a one-Ben pony. When you have a franchise QB, and he's got that "Something-something" with a little magic like Ben does, it's easy to drop a few mental intensity notches in the gourd and always believe in the power of 7 to pull your fannies out of the fire. The Steelers have learned to depend on each unit to pull their weight, and further, each individual. And they value each other. James Harrison said it best after the Tampa game. They are a team, and they have the capacity for greatness within them.

Some other things they've learned about themselves;

#1 They can run the ball. Rashard Mendenhall has proven that he's more than capable of ground and pounding, or hitting the retro-rockets and making the jump into warp-speed to settle matters in the won-loss department. Life lessons are life lessons whether you've had to sit out four weeks like Ben, or a game like Rashard, there is value in tuning in to what is truly important and leaving behind that which drags you down. Rashard has shown consistent improvement and looks to be on the rise for a good long time.

The passing game will only get better. A balanced attack is job one, and with Ben back in the saddle the scales of offensive play no longer hang heavily towards running the ball. Balance gives you options and guessing defenses.

#2 The defense is back. Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu have made their presence felt. Despite the Ravens result in the fleeting seconds of the fourth quarter, I believe this to be a year closer to '08 than '09 performance wise. The Steelers had three turnovers at this same point in time last year. They have 12 now. When the ball bounces the right way for you, good things happen. They are hungry unit, and they will go into the Cleveland game healthy. With a honked off disposition too, might I add, considering how they played in the mistake on the lake last year.

#3 The special teams, especially the cover units are coming on like gang busters. Last year's kickoff cover team had more "parachutes" popping once they crossed the fifty-yard line than the Golden Knights Army Skydiving team dropping in at the air-show in Robinson Township this summer. The art of "Free-falling without a 'chute" as my brother Ron, a four-time Pro Bowl Special Teams player and captain used to call it, takes more want-to than how-to. There's a lot more want-to's lining up at the thirty than last year.

http://www.craigwolfley.com/blog/201...about-yourself

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Not to get into the overdone arguments all over again, but this kind of article is ridiculous. Of course it is from the idiot Harris so take it with a grain of salt.....

Here are a couple of problems that I have, and that is without actually reading the article in full. :shock:

It won't take much. Some 300-yard passing games, a couple of game-winning touchdown passes and -- voila! -- Roethlisberger's reputation will be as good as new.

This part would be pretty funny if I didn't think he was serious. Very simple IMO. If he is a rapist then there should be no amount of 300 yard games should be able to cleanse his reputation. A long jail sentence maybe, but nothing he can do on the field.

If he is just an arrogant SOB who is caught up in some personna then he should not require redemption. It just means that if he calls you to go out Saturday night that you should think twice about getting caught up in his ego.

The thing is that I have not seen or heard one piece of evidence in two accusations that he is a rapist.

Asked about Roethlisberger riding in on a white horse to save the Steelers' season despite the team boasting the NFL's No. 5 defense, Tomlin sounded like he was on his way to a colonoscopy.

If this is from the clip I saw then there was no "saviour" reference. Tomlin was asked the same question twice in a row about Ben's return. Any displeasure he may have had was probably because he had to answer the same question twice.

The argument that other players were arrested and didn't receive a four-game suspension like Roethlisberger (who wasn't arrested), and this creates an unfair double-standard, is ridiculous. It's like me arguing that I was stopped for driving 75 mph on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when other cars driving even faster weren't stopped by state police. I shouldn't have been speeding in the first place.

No, it is like getting a ticket because someone told the officer that you were speeding and while he is writing you the ticket there are cars flying by going 100. I have no problem with something like Young throwing a punch at a club, but I have bigger issues with Rogers carrying a firearm onto a plane and Edwards DWI. Ben was supposedly acting constantly like a jackass, but if there was some rule against that then half the league would be suspended.

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Not to get into the overdone arguments all over again, but this kind of article is ridiculous. Of course it is from the idiot Harris so take it with a grain of salt.....

Here are a couple of problems that I have, and that is without actually reading the article in full. :shock:

[quote]It won't take much. Some 300-yard passing games, a couple of game-winning touchdown passes and -- voila! -- Roethlisberger's reputation will be as good as new.

This part would be pretty funny if I didn't think he was serious. Very simple IMO. If he is a rapist then there should be no amount of 300 yard games should be able to cleanse his reputation. A long jail sentence maybe, but nothing he can do on the field.

If he is just an arrogant SOB who is caught up in some personna then he should not require redemption. It just means that if he calls you to go out Saturday night that you should think twice about getting caught up in his ego.

The thing is that I have not seen or heard one piece of evidence in two accusations that he is a rapist.

If this is from the clip I saw then there was no "saviour" reference. Tomlin was asked the same question twice in a row about Ben's return. Any displeasure he may have had was probably because he had to answer the same question twice.

No, it is like getting a ticket because someone told the officer that you were speeding and while he is writing you the ticket there are cars flying by going 100. I have no problem with something like Young throwing a punch at a club, but I have bigger issues with Rogers carrying a firearm onto a plane and Edwards DWI. Ben was supposedly acting constantly like a jackass, but if there was some rule against that then half the league would be suspended.[/quote:36p7nvkb]

DWI's are rampant in the NFL and need a stiffer penalty.

I don't agree with the Rogers firearm incident. It's not like he had it tucked in his pants intentionally trying to smuggle it on a plane. He will pay a fine but I don't think it's suspension worthy. Now if it wasn't registered or it was obtained illegally I would agree.

grotonsteel
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
but I have bigger issues with Rogers carrying a firearm onto a plane

I still can't believe Rogers was not suspended...Carrying a gun to an airport is ridiculous...How is this not a federal crime???? And how does this not tarnish NFL shield?

Maybe Cleveland Airport has deer-hunting season in summer :shock:

Crash
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Um, well, what law did Ben break?

Crash
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't agree with the Rogers firearm incident

So you believe a player who had a prior suspension in violation of the SAP, then was accused of sexual assault, and then was busted with a gun in an airport shouldn't be suspended?

If that's not a pattern of behavior, what is?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2010, 05:31 PM
DWI's are rampant in the NFL and need a stiffer penalty.

I actually laughed out loud when I heard someone from the Jets talking about how they took such a strong stand with Edwards because they sat him for one quarter while most teams don't do anything. :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
10-07-2010, 08:09 AM

[quote]It won't take much. Some 300-yard passing games, a couple of game-winning touchdown passes and -- voila! -- Roethlisberger's reputation will be as good as new.

No, it is like getting a ticket because someone told the officer that you were speeding and while he is writing you the ticket there are cars flying by going 100. I have no problem with something like Young throwing a punch at a club, but I have bigger issues with Rogers carrying a firearm onto a plane and Edwards DWI. Ben was supposedly acting constantly like a jackass, but if there was some rule against that then half the league would be suspended.[/quote:sd1smnv1]

Right on.

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 09:39 AM

So you believe a player who had a prior suspension in violation of the SAP, then was accused of sexual assault, and then was busted with a gun in an airport shouldn't be suspended?

If Ben mistakenly packed his gun and was busted with it at the airport should he be suspended? Definitely not...

I don't think a gun at the airport is suspension worthy... at a club? definitely.

cruzer8
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Ignorance or stupidity is no excuse. Rogers should have been suspended.

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 12:05 PM

not an excuse... just using common sense.

If a Steeler mistakenly packed a bag that had a gun in it I don't think anyone would be OK with a suspension.

Crash
10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think a gun at the airport is suspension worthy... at a club? definitely.

Nice dodge.

Once again below:

SAP suspension.

Sexual assault accusation.

THEN, the gun charge.

And you think that's not suspension worthy?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-07-2010, 03:01 PM

not an excuse... just using common sense.

If a Steeler mistakenly packed a bag that had a gun in it I don't think anyone would be OK with a suspension.

Maybe this is the Canadian in me talking but.....how do you mistakenly pack your gun?

Djfan
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM

If Ben mistakenly packed his gun and was busted with it at the airport should he be suspended? Definitely not...

That is flat-out OUTRAGEOUS!! I really hope that you are kidding. It is 934,246,230 worse to go to the airport armed than a club, which is itself insane.

sentinel33
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
as much as i disagree with the suspension and all the conspiracy theories come with it, it's the best thing that could've happened to him. roethlisberger didnt rape anyone, but the path he was on could very well have lead to that. we head that off at the pass and we enjoy another decade of the natch delivering superbowls to the doorsteps of the city of pittsburgh. The legend grows.

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Nice dodge.

Once again below:

SAP suspension.

Sexual assault accusation.

THEN, the gun charge.

And you think that's not suspension worthy?

damn... I will repeat, NO, I do not think it's suspension worthy.

If he had prior gun charges then maybe... I thought he would get a small fine but he was fined $300K for this and I think that is way too much.

feltdizz
10-07-2010, 03:43 PM

That is flat-out OUTRAGEOUS!! I really hope that you are kidding. It is 934,246,230 worse to go to the airport armed than a club, which is itself insane.

It's not outrageous.. you are looking at it as though Rogers intentionally was trying to slip past TSA to commit a terrorist act.

It's 934,246,230 worse to go to the airport armed ON PURPOSE with the intent to slip past security.

I just don't see Rogers as the terrorist cell type of guy... "as an NFL player" it's viewed as a boneheaded mistake but one that police officers and other gun owners have made.

IMO... it is far worse for Rogers, "as an NFL player," to go to a club with a gun. That is a very dangerous recipe and we all know how quickly things can turn ugly at a club.