PDA

View Full Version : BB Looks Good In 1st Practice Back

SteelHoss
10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
NFL from the sidelines
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... -good.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/10/roethlisberger-looks-good.html)

Tuesday, October 05, 2010
Roethlisberger looks good

After watching Ben Roethlisberger throw the ball around the Steelers' indoor facility today, you had to come away impressed.

Charlie Batch didn't practice, but Byron Leftwich did. And the differences between Leftwich and Roethlisberger's passes were easy to spot.

Not one of Roethlisberger's passes fell incomplete and there were a couple of occasions when Roethlisberger slipped a pass into a tight spot, eliciting a "Woah," from some of his teammates.

He was that good Tuesday.

© I've heard a lot of talk about how the Steelers shouldn't change their offensive philosophy now that Roethlisberger is back.

After all, the team is 3-1 with its current run-heavy offensive balance.

But anyone who expects Rashard Mendenhall to make it through the season with his current workload is delusional.

Mendenhall is on pace to log more than 350 carries. Add in some receptions and he'll be up over 375 touches.

That's too many.

Yes, the Steelers still need to be able to run the ball. But they're not paying Roethlisberger $102 million to hand the ball off.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 5:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scarletfire1970
10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
That is good news because we are going to have to have him put up a bunch of points before the 4th qtr defensive collapse.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-05-2010, 07:44 PM
That is good news because we are going to have to have him put up a bunch of points before the 4th qtr defensive collapse.

have you watched any of the games? they had a bad 30 seconds. it happens in this league. this is not the 2009 defense, i am certain of that.

i hope we don't have to hear all of the snide "saint lebeau" comments that we got from some posters last year.

Scarletfire1970
10-05-2010, 07:51 PM

have you watched any of the games? they had a bad 30 seconds. it happens in this league. this is not the 2009 defense, i am certain of that.

i hope we don't have to hear all of the snide "saint lebeau" comments that we got from some posters last year.This has been an ongoing problem for some time now, well since our last sb appearance. I hope your right and it was just a "bad 30 seconds". Actually it was longer than 30 seconds. The whole drive, they just dink and dunked their way down the field to score the winning TD and left us with only 30 seconds on the clock. Sorry but that gave me flashbacks to last season.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-05-2010, 07:56 PM
the whole drive consisted of 4 plays.

i didn't like the way it was called on our side, but i just don't believe it will be a forebearer of things to come. i have alot of confidence in the way this defensive team is playing and getting to the QB.

Scarletfire1970
10-05-2010, 08:17 PM
the whole drive consisted of 4 plays.

i didn't like the way it was called on our side, but i just don't believe it will be a forebearer of things to come. i have alot of confidence in the way this defensive team is playing and getting to the QB.
Well that was the other thing, we couldn't get to Flacco at all. That also was a little concerning. Well I hope you are right.

Crash
10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about how the Steelers shouldn't change their offensive philosophy now that Roethlisberger is back.

They don't.

Pass early, run late, like they did in Tampa, is what we do with Ben.

It only changes, when we are behind.

Run three times and play defense? We did that against the Jags in the playoffs when Ben was dominant in the second half.

fordfixer
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Ben Roethlisberger looks sharp in return
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5652608

PITTSBURGH -- Ten seconds were all Ben Roethlisberger needed to prove to the Pittsburgh Steelers he wasn't affected by his month away from the NFL.

On the first pass he threw Tuesday in his first post-suspension practice, Roethlisberger found fast wide receiver Mike Wallace far downfield for an over-the-shoulder catch of a perfectly thrown football.

Right about then, his teammates probably were thinking the same thing: Ben is back.

"We have our whole team here, and we have our leader -- our quarterback -- back with us," Wallace said. "He makes everybody better. The offense is definitely going to go in another direction."

Coach Mike Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio on Tuesday that Roethlisberger will return as the team's starting QB when the Steelers return from a bye in Week 6.

"He's going to get his normal reps in terms of preparing for the game that he's gotten since I've been here in terms of preparing a starter to play," Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio.

"And, of course, he's going to start next Sunday."

Roethlisberger showed no rustiness or lack of rhythm in his first practice since training camp, zipping passes throughout a 30-minute passing drill that was incorporated into the practice to quickly get him and his receivers back in sync.

"It was a good step, and I don't think it'll take as long as I thought," Roethlisberger said.

He'll have two more practice days during this bye week to regain his timing and precision, followed by a full work week before the Oct. 17 home game against Cleveland.

"It normally takes a while to get going out there, but it felt pretty good," Roethlisberger said. "I knew that my arm would be good. I knew it would be strong, and I knew it would feel good. It's just a matter of working with the guys."

Since last being with the team on Sept. 2, Roethlisberger threw almost daily to a collection of receivers at high school stadiums, intentionally throwing more passes than normal because he wasn't throwing any in games. A private quarterbacks coach helped him with his footwork and delivery.

Wallace, the team's fastest receiver, couldn't remember Roethlisberger throwing a bad pass during the entire practice.

"We're going to throw the ball because we've got one of the best guys back," Wallace said. "So I'm excited. I've been smiling. Ever since last night, I've been smiling."

Despite having the league's No. 31 passing offense with fill-in quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon, the Steelers came out of Roethlisberger's four-game suspension about as good as could be expected with a 3-1 record. Apparently, the quarterback himself came out of the suspension about as good as could be expected, too.

By playing as well as they did without the two-time Super Bowl winner, the Steelers put aside any doubts about how Roethlisberger would be welcomed back. Potentially, there could have been hard feelings if his off-field problems had led to an 0-4 start, but his teammates insisted they've long since put the quarterback's troubles behind them.

Roethlisberger apologized to them during offseason workouts for potentially jeopardizing their season and, by the time training camp arrived, he was warmly received by fans.

Now, seven months after Roethlisberger was accused of, but not charged with, sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a Georgia college bar, the Steelers hope there finally is some closure of the issue from a football standpoint. Even if no one is defending Roethlisberger's behavior or the stress he caused an organization that has long taken pride in the way it conducts itself.

"What's in the past is in the past," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He did his time. He did his suspension, and now we're moving on. And we're glad to have him back with our team. We're 3-1 right now, so we're going to hand it over to him and let him do his thing and try to win ball games."

The only apology Roethlisberger made upon his return was telling the wide receivers he was sorry they had to do much extra work during an off-week practice.

"What had to be said was said a long time ago," Wallace said. "He was sorry when it first happened, so we didn't need to go over it again or have him apologize. He doesn't have to do that. We know that he's sorry, and we know he's ready to play football."

Roethlisberger's return is expected to open up an offense that has leaned heavily on its running game. With Rashard Mendenhall averaging 102.8 yards rushing -- he's second in the league to Houston's Arian Foster -- the Steelers probably won't ask Roethlisberger to throw an average of 34 times per game like he did in passing for a club-record 4,328 yards last season.

"I think they've been stacking up to defend our run, so ... I'm sure they're going to play things a little differently now with Ben in there," Mendenhall said. "He definitely adds another dynamic to the offense."

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Ed: Ben Looks in Mid-Season Form

TUESDAY, 05 OCTOBER 2010 16:41 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ben Roethlisberger not only returned to the Steelers on Monday, he was back by Tuesday. His first practice looked as though he never left. He was zipping accurate passes all over the place and, frankly, after seeing all the other quarterbacks for the past month, the difference was striking.

You almost forget how good this guy really is. Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon both have strong arms and Charlie Batch has moxie and throws an accurate ball. But there is something different when Roethlisberger does it.

He threw passes at practice today that were crisp and accurate.

I have no doubt that his return will not only lift the passing game noticeably but also open up the running game. Mike Wallace’s stats will explode. So, too, should Heath Miller’s.

The offense will take on a whole new look from the stodgy thing we’ve seen in three out of the first four games. Roethlisberger is, at 28, at the peak of his career and he looks every bit that way. He looked that way in training camp and through the preseason and he looked that way in practice on Tuesday.

Yes, it was only practice. But this is a guy who has proven it throughout his career and has gotten better with age, culminating in his team-record 4,328 passing yards last season. Roethlisberger will not be throwing as often as he did last season. They will use their ground game more often, or at least as long as Rashard Mendenhall can remain upright.

Roethlisberger lost a big target in Santonio Holmes but Wallace looks ready to take the next step and I believe he will become a better receiver than Holmes, maybe even this year. He has better speed and more consistent hands.

The intriguing part of the first four games was the improvement in pass protection. Steelers quarterbacks were sacked nine times and while that is not good, especially for the fewer amount of passes thrown, the eye test was that offensive line protected their quarterbacks better. If so, if Roethlisberger gets even more time, he will be more dangerous.

You will have to wait until Oct. 17 to see all of this, but what we saw in practice Tuesday looked pretty good at quarterback.

http://ht.ly/19iWmH

Steelers>NFL
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM
The defense has been so good and so dominant this season, that it carried the whole team through the first 4 games. Aside from the TB game, the offense has been anemic.
All the offense had to do was get 1 or 2 first down late in the game against the Ravens,
then GAME OVER. But no... Now people want to blame the defense collapse. JC!

Oviedo
10-06-2010, 07:55 AM
The defense has been so good and so dominant this season, that it carried the whole team through the first 4 games. Aside from the TB game, the offense has been anemic.
All the offense had to do was get 1 or 2 first down late in the game against the Ravens,
then GAME OVER. But no... Now people want to blame the defense collapse. JC!

Defense has been solid but I think the general concern is that the Ravens did exactly what the teams that beat us late last year did and we made no adjustments last year to stop it from happening.

The defense struggles when teams max protect the QB thereby nulifying the pass rush which the key to our scheme. They then take advantage of the big cushions that the CBs give the WRs by throwing 6-8 yard completions and letting the WRs get yards after the catch. Our CBs then begin to get antsy and want to attck the WR to try to break up the pass or limit the YAC and they are then susceptible to the double move just like what happened to Bmac on Sunday.

This is the exact same thing we saw last year and you can't deny it happened again this past Sunday. Last year we didn't have Troy but this past Sunday IMO we made a huge mistake blitzing him and creating space in the secondary. In a short field situation it would just seem like it would be advantageous to have the best safety in the game crowding the passing lanes in the secondary versus vacating them.

chiken
10-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I think there is something to be said for sustaining drives and giving our Defense more rest for those 4Qtr end of the Game stops... We CAN run the ball this year.

Last game - We stopped them on the goalline (imagine the emotion and energy spent on that goal line stance - I bet they all thought they had just won the game) We got the ball back but could not gain a yard. So Back out comes the Defense. Drained and spent. Not surprised at all that the Ravens drove them as easy as they did. Not Surprised that Bmac played a tired brand of Cornerback on that last play.

Ben picks up first downs, eats up clock. Teams are forced to get out of the box because the threat is there.

The O-line is much improved from last year... Which will only help the Defense. 09 will not happen this year with Ben and the improved Oline.

stlrz d
10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
I think there is something to be said for sustaining drives and giving our Defense more rest for those 4Qtr end of the Game stops... We CAN run the ball this year.

Last game - We stopped them on the goalline (imagine the emotion and energy spent on that goal line stance - I bet they all thought they had just won the game) We got the ball back but could not gain a yard. So Back out comes the Defense. Drained and spent. Not surprised at all that the Ravens drove them as easy as they did. Not Surprised that Bmac played a tired brand of Cornerback on that last play.

Ben picks up first downs, eats up clock. Teams are forced to get out of the box because the threat is there.

The O-line is much improved from last year... Which will only help the Defense. 09 will not happen this year with Ben and the improved Oline.

Mendy is second in the league in rushing *without* Ben. It's only going to get better. That is going to help keep the D fresh. No doubt.

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Ben didn't pick up every first down when we needed it last year. It's a team game and if the OL has false starts and holding penalties at key moments it will be more of the same.

I'll give the D credit for keeping the Ravens out of the end zone but they did march all the way down to the 2... not the easiest area for an O to get a first down with w guy like Batch.

hawaiiansteel
10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Roethlisberger finds his rhythm quickly upon return

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 6, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-10-05/roethlisberger-a.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger's first offering at his first practice of the regular season Tuesday was a strike to wide receiver Mike Wallace, who believes the long pass is a sign of things to come.

"I hope so," Wallace said when asked about his instant connection with Roethlisberger. "Hopefully, that means we'll get a lot of that two Sundays from now."

Said Roethlisberger about his first toss: "I wanted to get it up there early for Mike, and he made a good catch."

The Steelers' franchise quarterback makes his regular-season debut Oct. 17 against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field following the bye week.

How anxious was Roethlisberger to rejoin his teammates after missing the first four games because of his suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy?

"He said it was like the first day of school. He was the first one out there," wide receiver Hines Ward said.

Ward, who is normally Roethlisberger's favorite receiver, didn't practice. That left Wallace as the quarterback's first target on his initial throw.

"I felt like it went pretty well," Roethlisberger told a cluster of reporters in front of his locker. "First impressions, I thought it was good. Normally it takes a while to get going, a couple of weeks. But I felt (yesterday) went well and see what (today) holds."

Probably more of the same, according to veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

Randle El was impressed with how well Roethlisberger threw the ball despite not having practiced with the team since the end of training camp.

"In warmups, I had a drop because I didn't get my head around quick enough, and it kind of shot through me," Randle El said. "His arm is ready to go."

Said Ward: "He was firing it left and right. We're definitely a better ballclub with him on the field."

Roethlisberger wasn't worried about his arm strength. His primary concern was accuracy and developing chemistry with his receivers. During his four-game absence, Roethlisberger worked out with a quarterbacks coach at Hampton High School.

"I knew my arm would be good. I knew it would be strong. It was just a matter of hitting the guys," Roethlisberger said. "Timing — putting it out there."

Roethlisberger apologized for his receivers having to work with him for about 30 minutes so they could all become familiar with each other.

"I have to get (it) back," said Roethlisberger of his timing. "I don't think it will take as long as I thought."

Ward said one important aspect of the bye week is that it will "give Ben enough time to get back in rhythm."

The Steelers will practice again today and Thursday before taking the weekend off. Preparations for the Browns' game resume Monday.

"Getting back into throwing form," said Ward of the adjustments Roethisberger must make. "It's a lot different throwing to professional players than high school guys."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 02896.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702896.html)

Shawn
10-06-2010, 04:01 PM

i hope we don't have to hear all of the snide "saint lebeau" comments that we got from some posters last year.This has been an ongoing problem for some time now, well since our last sb appearance. I hope your right and it was just a "bad 30 seconds". Actually it was longer than 30 seconds. The whole drive, they just dink and dunked their way down the field to score the winning TD and left us with only 30 seconds on the clock. Sorry but that gave me flashbacks to last season.

You both have a point. I could see how that could give one deja vu about last season. Overall this is an elderly D. And as the season progresses and games wear on this D starts looking it's age. With that said, with Troy and Smith back I'm hoping we don't continue to see that drop off this season. After all they have been playing lights out until the late last game.

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2010, 10:10 AM

i hope we don't have to hear all of the snide "saint lebeau" comments that we got from some posters last year.

That's the way it works on message boards and the media. They pick apart every single thing, or let one bad play stick in their minds. I remember laughing when people said the Steelers defense collapsed in the super bowl against the Cardinals. It was 24 to mf-in 7 going into the fourth quarter. The Steelers defense held down a top two or three offense to 7 points through three quarters, returned a pick 100 yards for a score in the most memorable defensive play in super bowl history, yet all people remember is the blown coverage on Fitzgerald, whom they held to, like 10 yards recieving, up to that point. Yet, the Steelers defense sucked that game. :roll: And after losing Smith and Polamalu for the season last year and the defense struggled to hold leads, well, of course that means the game had passed coach Lebeau by. Forget about the decades of dominating defense he has put out on the field, this means he sucks. :roll:

sentinel33
10-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Man. Talk about panic. The only thing the team did wrong at the end of the game was letting the wr's get out of bounds to stop the clock. Those quick outs are fine if you keep the wr in bounds. If the defense does that correctly we are undefeated right now.
This team is about to find it's full identity. This team will be fully operational and the league is gonna se exactly what it has on its hands. A powerful run game aided by a passing attack that has all the options open to it. A defense that is playing lights out and a special teams unit that continues to improve every game. this is an 11-5 or 12-4 team. And once this team gets into the postseason, despite how "ailing" the defense is, they will be damn near impossible to stop.

Crash
10-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Steelers take the lead against Atlanta, the defense gives it right back.

Plays prevent against the Titans, gives up a TD, one blown call on McFadden away from giving up another TD and would need to defend a two point try to avoid a tie.

Baltimore, Steelers take the lead 7-0, next time the Ravens are on the field on offense they March down and score.

Steelers defense plays prevent at the end of the half (like against Atlanta) and gives up a FG.

Steelers with a four point 4th quarter lead, defense gives up 40 yards and a GW TD in less than a minute.

Other than the Tampa game? The 2010 Steelers, WITH Polamalu and Smith, are having the same problems as they did in 2009 without them.

feltdizz
10-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Plays prevent against the Titans, gives up a TD, one blown call on McFadden away from giving up another TD and would need to defend a two point try to avoid a tie.

Baltimore, Steelers take the lead 7-0, next time the Ravens are on the field on offense they March down and score.

Steelers defense plays prevent at the end of the half (like against Atlanta) and gives up a FG.

Steelers with a four point 4th quarter lead, defense gives up 40 yards and a GW TD in less than a minute.

Other than the Tampa game? The 2010 Steelers, WITH Polamalu and Smith, are having the same problems as they did in 2009 without them.
Besides the Titans game I agree 100%. I can't blame the D when they had 7 or 8 turnovers.

I have noticed that right after we score 7 our D has been giving up points on the next drive.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-10-2010, 12:48 PM
the Baltimore game??

the same defense who forced 2 turnovers in rats territory? 27 and 33 yard line respectively. offense came away empty.

the same defense who made a 4th quarter goal line stand?? offense came away empty.

you seem to forget the other side has guys who are getting paid to play as well.

blaming the defense for that loss is pure idiocy, but look who is arguing the point.

Crash
10-10-2010, 01:13 PM
the Baltimore game??

the same defense who forced 2 turnovers in rats territory? 27 and 33 yard line respectively. offense came away empty.

the same defense who made a 4th quarter goal line stand?? offense came away empty.

you seem to forget the other side has guys who are getting paid to play as well.

blaming the defense for that loss is pure idiocy, but look who is arguing the point.

OK....Question for you.

4th quarter in the SB, you get once chance to win the game, 80 yards away from the endzone.

Do you want:

First down and 10 for Drew Brees up 4 points?

or

First down and 10 for Ben down 4 points?

I don't care what they do for 55 minutes, when they need one stop to win and they can't stop them.

As soon as the Ravens got the ball back we were done.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-10-2010, 01:40 PM
ahhh. changing the question to fit your argument.

i would take ben in that situation because i have seen what he does in those spots. i always take the ball because the defense is tired by that point and ben is a money player. it's an apples vs. beachballs comparison.

you were blaming the defense for the baltimore loss which is sheer lunacy.

feltdizz
10-10-2010, 03:10 PM

i would take ben in that situation because i have seen what he does in those spots. i always take the ball because the defense is tired by that point and ben is a money player. it's an apples vs. beachballs comparison.

I think you answered correctly... and you proved his point. There was a time when it would be crazy to even pose this question. Who wouldn't want a lead and our D on the field with 80 yards to go? It says tons about the lack of faith in our D late in games.

I don't think the D lost the Bmore game but they damn sure gave up another easy TD that took all of 30 seconds. Reminded me of 2009. We played great D all game but when it was crunch time they collapsed, again.

stlrz d
10-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Come on man. We had the lead when BMac got faked out of his jock. It doesn't matter that we failed to score off those two turnovers.

/end sarcasm

Eddie Spaghetti
10-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I think you answered correctly... and you proved his point.

gee thanks professor. i wasn't aware message board grades were being handed out today.

his point was that the defense cost us the baltimore game.

which is total B.S. in my opinion.

Jooser
10-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Besides the Titans game I agree 100%. I can't blame the D when they had 7 or 8 turnovers.

I have noticed that right after we score 7 our D has been giving up points on the next drive.

Unfortunately, this disturbing trend happens ALOT. I made a few comments about this a couple of times in the chat room the past 2 seasons. No defense is perfect, we have been playing well all season and I'm confident we will continue to play well. Ben would have gotten some points off those turnovers the last game in Rats' territory. Until this team drafts some shut-down type CBs, we will continue to give up the big pass play on occasion, unfortunately.

Crash
10-10-2010, 08:12 PM
his point was that the defense cost us the baltimore game.

No my point is because of LeBeau's Vagina Defense late in games I have no confidence in this defense to make a stop in a one stop or lose situation.