PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me...

Slapstick
10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
...or did Sunday's game dredge up bad memories of the Chicago game last year?

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 02:20 PM
...or did Sunday's game dredge up bad memories of the Chicago game last year?

and Oakland

and KC

and every other game where the d couldn't get the stop we needed late in the fourth quarter because the other team figured out by dinking and dunking they nulify our pass rush.

Slapstick
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
and Oakland

and KC

and every other game where the d couldn't get the stop we needed late in the fourth quarter because the other team figured out by dinking and dunking they nulify our pass rush.

It specifically brought up Chicago in my mind because Reed missed two makeable FGs...

Chicago was the beginning of last year's slide...hopefully, Tomlin has something in his coaching bag 'o' tricks to head it iff at the pass this year...

Relentless7
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
and Oakland

and KC

It specifically brought up Chicago in my mind because Reed missed two makeable FGs...

Chicago was the beginning of last year's slide...hopefully, Tomlin has something in his coaching bag 'o' tricks to head it iff at the pass this year...

He does... I hear he's going to "Unleash Hell" on Cleveland in two wee.... wait.... oh he did that already?

Never mind.

RussBII
10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I think the key difference here is that all of those games were against crappy opponents we didn't put away. The Ravens were/are a SB fave and a good team. Not quite apples to apples here.

The defense failed us in those games. I think the O failed us more in this last Ravens tilt.

steelblood
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
and Oakland

and KC

He does... I hear he's going to "Unleash Hell" on Cleveland in two wee.... wait.... oh he did that already?

Never mind.
:lol:

feltdizz
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I think the key difference here is that all of those games were against crappy opponents we didn't put away. The Ravens were/are a SB fave and a good team. Not quite apples to apples here.

The defense failed us in those games. I think the O failed us more in this last Ravens tilt.

true... but the Ravens passing game isn't top 5, well... for years it was pretty crappy.

They got a few more weapons but they aren't burners.. just feels like our pass D may have more holes then we want to admit.

We used to be all over WR's when it was crunch time in a close game.. the last few years WR's have been wide open.

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM

true... but the Ravens passing game isn't top 5, well... for years it was pretty crappy.

They got a few more weapons but they aren't burners.. just feels like our pass D may have more holes then we want to admit.

We used to be all over WR's when it was crunch time in a close game.. the last few years WR's have been wide open.

Quit rushing Troy on wasted blitzes and that goes a long way to plugging holes in the secondary.

steelblood
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Quit rushing Troy on wasted blitzes and that goes a long way to plugging holes in the secondary.

Yep. Flacco wouldn't have considered throwing the ball down the middle if Troy was in that zone. We could have forced another throw to the sideline. It doesn't mean we would have won, but I really would have liked to see how that ended up.

Remember that Texans game about 5 or 6 years ago where Troy had 3 sacks. The next couple of years it seemed like we blitzed him more than he covered. Then, Tomlin came
and it seemed that Troy was back in coverage more. We played more two deep safety in obvious passing situations. Hopefully, they learned from this and won't blitz him in such a situation again. Troy is an incredible centerfielder and an average pass rushing linebacker.

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Yep. Flacco wouldn't have considered throwing the ball down the middle if Troy was in that zone. We could have forced another throw to the sideline. It doesn't mean we would have won, but I really would have liked to see how that ended up.

Remember that Texans game about 5 or 6 years ago where Troy had 3 sacks. The next couple of years it seemed like we blitzed him more than he covered. Then, Tomlin came
and it seemed that Troy was back in coverage more. We played more two deep safety in obvious passing situations. Hopefully, they learned from this and won't blitz him in such a situation again. Troy is an incredible centerfielder and an average pass rushing linebacker.

I totally agree. I want the QB to fear the INT and that happens when Troy is roaming the secondary. It doesn't happen when he is playing MMA with players who outweigh him by 50+lbs.

JTP53609
10-05-2010, 09:41 PM
and Oakland

and KC

Last year the bengals began our slide, we were 6-2 and played what was perhaps the most boring game I have ever seen against them at home and it started the 5 game losing streak.
I agree with you about the chicago game, and thought the same thing right after the game sunday, he missed 2 FG's in that one and our defense let the bears go right down the field for a game winner, sound familiar.

winwithd
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I just watched the replay on NFL Network and Oher definitely jumped twice on that last drive. Both plays were completed passes. After the second one Phil Simms says usually teams try to force the receivers inside to keep the clock running but the Steelers are giving them the sidelines.

But missing the two FGs in the 3rd were killers. It seems as though there is a cross-wind. Sometimes its there and on the second kick apparently sometimes it is not. Simms said the kicker can't tell from the field what the wind is doing. Seems to me if this is true, the team should figure out some sort of indicator that the kicker can get a cue from.

D Rock
10-05-2010, 10:53 PM

When exactly do you remember this to be the case?

I'm assuming we aren't going back as far as Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington with that statement!

But for real, I remember pass D as being the biggest weakness for a long time now, even in 2008.

SteelAbility
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Not to :stirpot but this game ending is proof that we do, in fact, need Ben. We're at 3 out of our first 4 games where the O cannot reliably move the ball. As well as the D has played, it wears them down not getting consistent breathers. With Ben in there I think we win something like 24-10 or 21-10.

On another note. I HATE those blasted 10 yard cushions. They negate the pass-rush as Os figure out they can dink/dunk ... as has been aptly pointed out already.

Discipline of Steel
10-05-2010, 11:10 PM
and Oakland

and KC

His bag of tricks is Ben Roethlisberger.

Djfan
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
In retrospect, you can bet that Fluke-o saw Troy on the line and knew the middle would be open. I don't recall him looking anywhere else.

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Not to :stirpot but this game ending is proof that we do, in fact, need Ben. We're at 3 out of our first 4 games where the O cannot reliably move the ball. As well as the D has played, it wears them down not getting consistent breathers. With Ben in there I think we win something like 24-10 or 21-10.

On another note. I HATE those blasted 10 yard cushions. They negate the pass-rush as Os figure out they can dink/dunk ... as has been aptly pointed out already.

I think we all know the offense is much more productive with Ben... we still need to see if we have solved our problems of sustaining drives. Our production will certainly increase but will more pass attempts result in more points? Will the O stall in the red zone? Will the sacks increase? Will the O score too fast? Will this force other teams to speed up tempo and expose our DB's if the problem hasn't really been fixed from last year? Is Reed out of his funk or is this something serious?

Ben shores up the QB position but we still have to see if our team (especially the D) has that same chip on their shoulder they came out with the first 3 games.