PDA

View Full Version : It is time to invlove Brown and Sanders more at WR

steelblood
10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Did anyone notice how long Batch held the ball against Baltimore? I'll assume that there were not many receivers open. Randle El made a great catch (though he jumped too early) of a great throw. But, El is really having trouble getting separation and looks like he is stuck in mud on Punt returns. Miller is a great TE, but not a fast TE by any means. Hines is great, but he is slower than last year. It is time to invlove Brown and Sanders. They both have the quickness and suddenness that this receiving corps lacks. I know that Brown had a catch in the game. But that was one screen. Generally, Battle has played instead of Brown. Ben will need someone to replace what Holmes did. Wallace has great long speed, but he does not burst out of his cuts and fake people out like Holmes did. Sanders and Brown have these capacities and when Ben extends plays these types of receivers can excel in space.

The first step will likely be to involve Brown more. But, the next time El, Ward, or Battle get dinged up, don't be surprised to see Sanders become very effective, very quickly.

grotonsteel
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
With Ben back as QB i would expect more from Sanders and Brown.

steelblood
10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
With Ben back as QB i would expect more from Sanders and Brown.

I hope so. He can't exactly throw to them while they are on the sidelines though. This one is on the staff. The rookies have had time to learn. Now, we need to work them in more.

ikestops85
10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I thought the same thing watching the game. Batch did hold on to the ball for a long time and I thought maybe it isn't Ben's fault for holding on for so long. Maybe our receivers aren't as good as we thought.

I would also like to see the rooks get some more playing time and I think they will with Ben coming back. The passing game will evolve to a new level with him at the helm. Plus I think receivers work harder for him because he keeps plays alive.

ARE is not a punt returner anymore. We have to get somebody back there (cough ... Brown ... cough) who has a chance to break one. ARE doesn't have that quickness anymore. If they aren't going to use Brown we should have kept Logan.

grotonsteel
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I thought the same thing watching the game. Batch did hold on to the ball for a long time and I thought maybe it isn't Ben's fault for holding on for so long. Maybe our receivers aren't as good as we thought.

I still believe Holmes and Ward used to take ages to get open or get separation. Maybe routes were taking too long to develop not sure. Its difficult to see on the screen. Only thing we see on TV most of the time is the QB.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-05-2010, 12:02 PM
At this point Hines is a mini-TE. He can find voids in defenses but isn't some quick twitch athlete shaking young CB's. El is also not a burner or quick athlete. I agree that these two rookies need to get in there with Wallace this year.

I also think Arians is a total moron and has learned nothing in his time as an OC. We still don't have a redzone offense, not much of a short passing game other than stay patterns in the bunch formation. Is it impossible for this imbecile to create screens to a RB without showing his hand upon the snap and having the linemen all pull out so the DL and LB just run to the area they are running and ruin the screen? How about have Mendenhall come up off RT and fake like he is going to block then have him peel out into the flat? Where are the quick slants?

Arians offense is crap. All downfield on patterns that take forever to develop. That is why he will still get a lot of yards out of his offense between the 20's but not much else.

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
It would be nice to see Sanders and Brown get more involved but barring an injury at WR I don't see it happening. The gameday numbers just don't work out because they want ARE active if Hines goes down and they want Battle active for special teams. That means that only one of the rookies can be active and that is for returns.

I would like to see what both could do getting reps at WR but not typical on this team for WRs to get much playing time until late in the season but we will still have the numbers issue.

ikestops85
10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
It would be nice to see Sanders and Brown get more involved but barring an injury at WR I don't see it happening. The gameday numbers just don't work out because they want ARE active if Hines goes down and they want Battle active for special teams. That means that only one of the rookies can be active and that is for returns.

I would like to see what both could do getting reps at WR but not typical on this team for WRs to get much playing time until late in the season but we will still have the numbers issue.

Weren't they both active for the game Sunday? I know Brown was and I could have sworn that Batch threw a pass to Sanders that he dropped (a tough catch) near the sideline.

Slapstick
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
It's up to Sanders and Brown to get on the field...

phillyesq
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I think that was Battle that dropped the tough catch near the sideline.

[quote=Slapstick]It's up to Sanders and Brown to get on the field...

Completely agree. It is up to these guys to perform in practice and during their limited opportunities in such a way that their performance demands that they must play. While they're certainly more athletic than ARE and Battle, we don't know if they know their assignments well enough to play regularly. I'd rather have a slower El not get open than have a quicker Brown or Sanders miss an assignment as a hot receiver and suffer a pick six.

I would like to see Brown get a chance on punt returns - while I completely agree with the notion of using a veteran for ball security reasons, ARE very nearly dropped a punt he was trying to fair catch, and I think I remember hearing that he did the same thing during the ATL game.

Stewie
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Did anyone notice how long Batch held the ball against Baltimore? I'll assume that there were not many receivers open. Randle El made a great catch (though he jumped too early) of a great throw. But, El is really having trouble getting separation and looks like he is stuck in mud on Punt returns. Miller is a great TE, but not a fast TE by any means. Hines is great, but he is slower than last year. It is time to invlove Brown and Sanders. They both have the quickness and suddenness that this receiving corps lacks. I know that Brown had a catch in the game. But that was one screen. Generally, Battle has played instead of Brown. Ben will need someone to replace what Holmes did. Wallace has great long speed, but he does not burst out of his cuts and fake people out like Holmes did. Sanders and Brown have these capacities and when Ben extends plays these types of receivers can excel in space.

The first step will likely be to involve Brown more. But, the next time El, Ward, or Battle get dinged up, don't be surprised to see Sanders become very effective, very quickly.

Absolutely!!! What Battle and ARE bring to the offense is cloudy. Maybe it will take an injury (a la Essex) for the staff to find out. We need speed!!!!

steelblood
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Weren't they both active for the game Sunday? I know Brown was and I could have sworn that Batch threw a pass to Sanders that he dropped (a tough catch) near the sideline.

I think that was Battle that dropped the tough catch near the sideline.

Completely agree. It is up to these guys to perform in practice and during their limited opportunities in such a way that their performance demands that they must play. While they're certainly more athletic than ARE and Battle, we don't know if they know their assignments well enough to play regularly. I'd rather have a slower El not get open than have a quicker Brown or Sanders miss an assignment as a hot receiver and suffer a pick six.

I would like to see Brown get a chance on punt returns - while I completely agree with the notion of using a veteran for ball security reasons, ARE very nearly dropped a punt he was trying to fair catch, and I think I remember hearing that he did the same thing during the ATL game.

I agree that they have to earn their playing time. But, certainly Brown has done quite a bit in preseason games and so far this season in limited opportunities with the ball. I thought he looked quick on his screen. He has only had a scant few punt returns but I believe he has our longest PR of the season. We can't know what goes on in practice, but from what I've seen, he looks ready for a larger role.

I think the real problem is that this team likes its vets. They like reliable. And certainly, Brown and Sanders will make some mistakes. But, I feel that they will also open up our running game more and allow the QB to get the ball out more quickly thereby reducing sacks.

The first steps are easy. Let Brown share more snaps at WR especially with Battle and El. Let Brown return at least half of the punts.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
no worries, Santonio Holmes is coming back with Ben.

oh wait, we traded him away for a 5th round pick... :HeadBanger

SteelHead
10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
With Ben's return I'd certainly expect to see at least Brown get more involved in the offense. I think the coaching staff probably wanted as many vets as possible on the field with our 3rd/4th string Qb and injuries on the line. IMO Brown has shown up nicely in preseason and what little opportunity he's had in the regular season , the dude has nice quicks , catches the ball well and has proven to be the best option we have in the return game.

Ben will need all the weapons he can get with an aging Hines and El being just a place holder for the young guys. While I expect us to keep a focus on balance regarding the run game you know were gonna open it up in the passing game in a different way than we could have with the other Qb's. I suspect as the year moves on we will see less and less of El and more of Brown. Heck I'd even like to see Sanders get some time with Ben in some real games but it's gonna be tough for him to be active on game days when he doesn't contribute on ST's.

It's nice to have 2 rooks waiting in the wings , I think these guys are gonna turn out to be some nice pro's. Of course having Ben benefits them greatly....

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 10.5.2010

TUESDAY, 05 OCTOBER 2010 14:05 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

BSidwar78: Ed, chalk up that last drive for those opposed to the prevent defense.

Ed Bouchette: I'm not sure those opposed to the prevent defense even knows what a prevent defense is.

dimondandkooman: we're you ok with them running 3 times after the goal line stop?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I was. I thought calling a pass there might have ended in a Baltimore touchdown.

DiamondSteel: Did you see Ben practice today? How did he look?

Ed Bouchette: He looked like Ben R. He uncurled his first pass deep to Mike Wallace, who caught it over his shoulder. Perfect. His passes had good zip on them all day. I think the offense was energized having him out there.

BSidwar78: Ed, do you think there is any correlation between the walk-through practices and the penalties last Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: They had walk-through practice on Wednesday before Tampa, too. So, the answer would be no.

Steeltyke: The obvious move on expiry of Ben's roster exemption is McClendon to the PS but that depends on Hokey being fit. How is he doing as regards that MCL sprain that he has?

Ed Bouchette: I think he'll be ready to go for cleveland.

Fresnosteel: Your opinion on how quickly Ben and recievers timing is in synch?

Ed Bouchette: From what I saw today, it's already happened.

dimondandkooman: To what do you attribute the great leap forward for 94?

Ed Bouchette: Healthy ankles and maturity.

BSidwar78: Should we expect to see more Redman in place of Moore?

Ed Bouchette: From what I saw, yes. Moore failed to even see the blitzer from his left and Batch paid the price.

Nate: Ed, Reed missed 4 field goals all of last year and has already matched that this season. Now I like Reed and think he is a very reliable kicker. However, with him only signed this year, do you see him in a Steelers uniform next year or no?

Ed Bouchette: One of those misses came from 55 yards. I don't count that. I think they'll try to keep him, but they'll have to come to agreement on both sides.

AvoidLloyd: Ed... we were 30 seconds from beating the ravens with our FOURTH string qb. with Ben back, how are we not the favorite?

Ed Bouchette: Favorite for . . . what? To beat Cleveland? To win the division? To win the Super Bowl?

Amos_P_Swanson: Ed...Not saying this is why we lost the game, but it sure looked like Oher had about 3 false starts in the last few minutes. I have seen it mentioned. Did you notice? And why no call?

Ed Bouchette: Everyone saw it, apparently, except for the body builder referee.

Guest: Ed- Housh looked wide open on the TD at the end of the game... thoughts on whether it was a break down/mistake in coverage or BM just got beat?

Ed Bouchette: I think McFadden just got beat on a play in which Troy P. blitzed, so he was all alone.

Mike-EE: Ed, Will the offense still emphasize the run game now the BR has returned?

Ed Bouchette: I think you'll see them strive for more balance. Obviously, the passing game will get a boost but with defenses respecting the pass more now, it should loosen up things for the run.

dimondandkooman: contrary to most folks, i think what reed did on sunday just makes me again realize how much he has been taken for granted.

Ed Bouchette: I agree. Ask the Saints about kickers.

tom: Ed, Gerry made a comment last week about getting Sanders active. What do you see as the best option for having that happen, or did you see improvement in Randle El getting himself open.

Ed Bouchette: I agree with Gerry. What I do not understand is they dress Antonio Brown for his return ability -- Sanders right now is the more accomplished receiver. yet, they don't let him return punts, just kickoffs. Me, I'd dress Sanders, let him return kickoffs and use him at receiver.

Polamalu43: Ed, will Legursky be the starting RG for the rest of the year?

Ed Bouchette: You probably saw what Bruce Arians said last week. I'm thinking, yes.

JAMES_TAIPEI_GONE_MISSING: Ed: my little brother always told me it's hard to beat a good close team 3 times. don't feel too bad losing to Ravens. now we only have to beat them 2 out of 3. agree? water under the bridge. move on.

Ed Bouchette: You mean, it was too hard for them to beat them three times in 2008? You should see how hard it is to beat a team FOUR times. Of course, it's hard to beat a team 3 times. It's hard to beat a good team twice.

dimondandkooman: for everyone who said they'd be dancing at 2-2, there sure is a lot of griping going on for 3-1, Ed.

Ed Bouchette: That's the nature of Steelers fans, don't you know? They lost. They'd feel better this week if the team had lost its first three games, but won on Sunday.

phineasfog: Ed, why aren't the Steelers getting Redman more carries? They are going to wear Mendenhall out.

Ed Bouchette: I've alerted all to this problem from the beginning. Mendenhall is the only back with any kind of resume.

Polamalu43: Ed, will any of the WR being hanging out and practicing with Ben during the bye week?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, they hung out for about 90 minutes today and will do so again on Wednesday and Thursday. He actually threw for about 30 minutes to his receivers today during individual drills, which is not normal.

Steel Curtain Rising: Any word on how the competition between Doug L. and Trai Essex has developed in light of last Sunday's game?

Ed Bouchette: Trai Essex hasn't practiced in the past 2 weeks. He's hurt.

DSF: On the 3rd and Five play where Batch went to Wallace deep, it looked like a corner blitz. Is that what should have been a hot read for wallace where he just needs to break off his route and get 5 yards instead of a TD? Is that also emblematic of missing Holmes who may have ran a route for the five yards, not the TD?

Ed Bouchette: No, I think receiver and QB were on the same page on that one.

loacdimond: 34 looks like he has lessened the spinning and is lowering those pads. your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: yes, he's started wearing them around his ankles. Last year, he spun after he got the ball and before he hit the hole on occasion. This year, his spins seem justified, coming after he hits the hole and away from a tackler.

Mayor: Why does Gay typically look good in the nickel and terrible out wide?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe he's just more comfortably playing there.

john: any update on keisel? eason and ziggy just did not do the job after he got hurt

Ed Bouchette: Keisel's fine. He had leg cramps, although he did not practice today. But then, many did not.

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Ed, can the Steelers stop Hillis?

Ed Bouchette: That's Peyton Hillis, not Jim Brown.

stlrcalfan: Do you think teams will bed gunning for BR more now this year.

Ed Bouchette: More than, say, last season? They will be gunning for him more in the fifth game than they were in the first four, I can tell you that.

Chris: Who do you think our remaining loses will come from?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know but this stretch after Cleveland looks like their toughest -- three straight road games at Miami, New Orleans and Cincy followed by a home game vs. New England. Go 3-1 through those four and you're doing well.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks, all. See you next Tuesday

http://ht.ly/19iQdy

Discipline of Steel
10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Why not let Ben get in and get comfortable, then let him pick who he's going to throw to?

BURGH86STEEL
10-05-2010, 06:58 PM

I agree.

Stewie
10-06-2010, 08:20 AM
BSidwar78: Should we expect to see more Redman in place of Moore?

Ed Bouchette: From what I saw, yes. Moore failed to even see the blitzer from his left and Batch paid the price.

Good. This is good.

Stewie
10-06-2010, 02:00 PM

I hope that you didn't bet the ranch that Sanders was active. He wasn't.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/10/st ... ek-4-2010/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/10/steelers-ravens-inactives-list-week-4-2010/)