PDA

View Full Version : Did you know Timmons leads the NFL in tackles?

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2010, 01:44 AM
did you know that Lawrence Timmons currently leads the NFL in tackles? :tt2

Timmons realizing potential

By: Andrew Chiappazzi Beaver County Times
Sunday October 3, 2010

http://www.onlyagame.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ap081214021685steelers.jpg

PITTSBURGH — For the past two decades, the Steelers defense has had a host of playmakers and leaders. But there has been one constant: The leading tackler of nearly every Steelers team dating back to the early 1990s has been an inside linebacker.

For four of the last five years, that leader has been James Farrior. Four games into the 2010 season, it’s Farrior’s protégé that is leading the way.

Lawrence Timmons had 13 tackles and a fumble recovery Sunday against the Ravens, giving him 45 stops for the year. He’s posted double-digit tackle totals in three of the first four games and has 18 more tackles than James Harrison, who has the next highest total on the team.

Timmons’ explosion onto the stat sheet hasn’t caught anyone by surprise inside the Steelers’ locker room.

“I’ve definitely seen an improvement in his game,” Farrior said. “He’s stepped up big time this year. I think he’s been playing as well as any linebacker in the league.”

Timmons was fourth on the team in tackles last year with 78 and did not post a game with more than 10 tackles.

In fact, he’s had just one 10-tackle game prior to this season.

So what’s the explanation for Timmons’ emergence as the primary stopper on the Steelers’ defense?

“I think it’s just his maturity and him growing up a little bit,” Farrior said.

Timmons was only 20 years old when the Steelers made him the 15th pick in the 2007 Draft. The Florida State product had only one year of experience as a college starter before jumping to the NFL. Timmons started 13 games last year and feels each game and ensuing film session allows him to improve.

“I think I can create myself more opportunities,” he said. “I’ll never settle for less and I’m always trying to get better.”

Starting next to a 14-year veteran like Farrior and having fellow veterans James Harrison and Larry Foote in the locker room has also helped.

“They’re like big brothers to me,” Timmons said. “They build me up and they do a great job at it. I’m grateful for those guys.”

Timmons’ play has allowed the Steelers to reclaim their status as the owners of the one of the best scoring defenses in the league.

The Steelers are allowing just more than 12 points per game, the fewest in the NFL.

“There’s no secret formula to it,” Farrior said. “Everybody is healthy, so that definitely helps out a lot, but I think guys are just playing well right now.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... um=twitter (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/october/03/timmons-realizing-potential.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

LordVile
10-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Timmons caught my eye more than a few times in this last game. He's getting where we need him to be.. cheers to that :Beer

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
But isn't he a bust who is soft against the run?

papillon
10-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I would love to see the statistics on where his tackles occur in relation to the line of scrimmage. It seems that the majority (well, actually, a great majority) of his tackles are occurring within 2-3 yards of the line of scrimmage which would indicate that not only is he getting to the hole, but that he's shedding blocks and making tackles.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2010, 10:54 AM
The folks who hated the Timmons pick tend to say that we should have taken either Jon Beason or Paul Posluszny instead of Timmons.

Well, let's look at the tale of the tape. Survey says...

So far this season, Beason has 35 total tackles (21 solo, 14 assists) with 0 sacks, 2 passes defensed, and 0 forced fumbles.

So far this season, Posluszny has 20 total tackles (14 solo, 6 assists) with 1 sack, 0 passes defensed, and 0 forced fumbles.

So far this season, Timmons has 48 total tackles (33 solo, 15 assists) with 1 sack, 2 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

Timmons' stat line sacks up favorably with Beason and Posluszny's combined totals of 55 total tackles (35 solo, 20 assists) with 1 sack, 2 passes defensed, and 0 forced fumbles.

:tt2 :tt1

feltdizz
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM
The folks who hated the Timmons pick tend to say that we should have taken either Jon Beason or Paul Posluszny instead of Timmons.

So far this season, Beason has 35 total tackles (21 solo, 14 assists) with 0 sacks, 2 passes defensed, and 0 forced fumbles.

So far this season, Posluszny has 20 total tackles (14 solo, 6 assists) with 1 sack, 0 passes defensed, and 0 forced fumbles.

So far this season, Timmons has 48 total tackles (33 solo, 15 assists) with 1 sack, 2 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

Timmons' stat line sacks up favorably with Beason and Posluszny's combined totals of 55 total tackles (35 solo, 20 assists) with 1 sack, 2 passes defensed, and 0 forced fumbles.

wow... pretty impressive. His stats may go down a little once Ben returns.

steelblood
10-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Where is the broken record emoticon? As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew you'd be in here with this crap. I'm never was a Timmons hater, but I still find your constant need to rub this in people's faces quite annoying.

You know that you've been wrong before too. Let it go. Your point has been made.

ikestops85
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Any one of those guys would have been a good pick. Timmons wears the black'n gold and has been playing lights out this season so far. There is no question in my mind the guy has picked his game up immensely over last year. That's not to say he was bad last year ... he just wasn't great. This year he has been great and it makes me happy.

grotonsteel
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Timmons will have a pro-bowl year if he can stay healthy.

Last year with two bad ankles he still had a good year. ILB with 7 sacks is awesome.

steelblood
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I would love to see the statistics on where his tackles occur in relation to the line of scrimmage. It seems that the majority (well, actually, a great majority) of his tackles are occurring within 2-3 yards of the line of scrimmage which would indicate that not only is he getting to the hole, but that he's shedding blocks and making tackles.

Pappy

Yes. Until the last game, I'd say he was getting to hole better than ever. Against Baltimore, he seemed a little later, but still very good. Good point, Pap. Run defense and reaction time was the weaker part of his game, and it is now very strong.

Timmons has is a UFA after next season. He will be very expensive.

feltdizz
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Pappy

Yes. Until the last game, I'd say he was getting to hole better than ever. Against Baltimore, he seemed a little later, but still very good. Good point, Pap. Run defense and reaction time was the weaker part of his game, and it is now very strong.

Timmons has is a UFA after next season. He will be very expensive.

I expect Poz to have a ton of tackles.. the Bills stink.

Beason moved to weak side so he is learning on the fly. Pretty much like Timmons when he moved inside. I had a feeling Beason would suffer a little due to the move.

All 3 guys played on teams with sub par O's for the first 4 games. I wouldn't be surprised to see Timmon's numbers drop a bit since our O should keep the ball a little longer.

Timmons is a monster.

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Where is the broken record emoticon? As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew you'd be in here with this crap. I'm never was a Timmons hater, but I still find your constant need to rub this in people's faces quite annoying.

You know that you've been wrong before too. Let it go. Your point has been made.

I have been wrong many times, but not about Timmons. What about you, were you wrong about Timmons. No need to respond.

You need to quit taking this so freakin serious when you are wrong like someone is trying to take your house away from you. If you knew what I was going to say and hate when I say it don't read the thread if you can't take some good natured ribbing. Geez.

feltdizz
10-05-2010, 02:10 PM

I have been wrong many times, but not about Timmons. What about you, were you wrong about Timmons. No need to respond.

You need to quit taking this so freakin serious when you are wrong like someone is trying to take your house away from you. If you knew what I was going to say and hate when I say it don't read the thread if you can't take some good natured ribbing. Geez.

I have to agree with the ribbing for the Timmon's naysayers..

Anyone who poo poo'ed his stat line after last year deserves it.

I could see if he looked Like Gay last year but damn.... he was a monster and he was injured.

Relentless7
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I love Timmons. He's a Steeler and I hope he makes a million tackles.

All that being said... I will NEVER advocate taking anyone who has basically played ONE season of college ball in the middle of the first round as a "project pick". I can't speak for any of the other so called "Timmons' Bashers" but I for one have never rooted against HIM, I simply didn't like the pick when it was made. Once it was made... fine he's a Steeler, let's ride and get him ready to go and contribute as soon as possible, but I never liked the pick when it was made.

flippy
10-05-2010, 02:47 PM
It was only ever a matter of time.

The first time I saw him live, he blew by Troy P to make a tackle on a play and they were both going in the same direction and so close to one another to start.

I had no idea who it was, but remember thinking we've got 2 Troy P's on the field.

I know one play doesn't make a guy a HOFer. But I knew that day, Timmons will one day be considered the best LB in the game if he's got half a head on his shoulders.

The only question now, is can Lebeau let Troy and Timmons roam at the same time?

Eddie Spaghetti
10-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Pouncey
Burnett
Redman
etc. etc.

broken record is right.

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 03:24 PM

All that being said... I will NEVER advocate taking anyone who has basically played ONE season of college ball in the middle of the first round as a "project pick". I can't speak for any of the other so called "Timmons' Bashers" but I for one have never rooted against HIM, I simply didn't like the pick when it was made. Once it was made... fine he's a Steeler, let's ride and get him ready to go and contribute as soon as possible, but I never liked the pick when it was made.

So you would pass on a player with huge upside? That is what quality organizations have the luxury of doing. They don't need to draft for desperate immediate needs like teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc.

Plus the sign of a great not good scouting organization is the ability to project how good a player will be for the entirity of his career not the beginning.

I'd do the Timmons pick all over again without hesitation.

BTW, given your philosophy we would not have drafted Mendenhall either because he was in the same situation as Timmons. Would you pass on him too?

steelblood
10-05-2010, 04:04 PM

"No need to respond" Why? Because you will lump me in with a group I don't even belong to? I wasn't a Timmons hater. I never called him a bust, not even close. I always loved him in coverage. I did feel he was late to the hole early in his career and got trucked by guards too often. But, he has bulked up and improved his reads and reaction time. I'm thrilled. Never hated the kid. I did talk about the areas of his game that needed improvement, but I didn't know that was cause for ridicule. It is a shame I have to defend myself here as I never called him a bust or anything like it. Young players take time to develop, and I've always allowed for that.

"Good natured ribbing"? No one brings up something so incessantly that doesn't have some deep seated issues with those he accuses. You really seem to have disdain for those who criticized Timmons and the negative posters. It is not me (as you suggest) who takes right and wrong so seriously.

Oviedo, I really enjoy your more analytical posts. I'd never put you on ignore. I respect your opinion (whether I agree or not) and think that you have an interesting perspective. In past seasons, you've actually been one of my favorite posters.

Lately though, it is as if there is your opinion and the wrong opinion. You spend a lot of time highlighting how you were right and how others were miserably wrong or simply full or hate or negativity (when you yourself have been so). Maybe I don't get into the smack talk of this generation. Maybe I'm missing some humor or irony here. For me, this behavior simply seems vain, petty and self-righteous (and frankly, beneath you).

I said my peace. I don't want to bicker on and on. If you don't agree at all, then I'd be happy to hear your response. After that, I'm back to talking football.

steelblood

Steelerphile
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I thought Timmons had "star" written all over him for a few years. It was only a matter of time for him to overcome the injury bug and to get a little bigger.

I never understood the venom directed towards him but fans are so impatient. Many expect instant miracles, but most players need some development.

Oviedo
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM

"No need to respond" Why? Because you will lump me in with a group I don't even belong to? I wasn't a Timmons hater. I never called him a bust, not even close. I always loved him in coverage. I did feel he was late to the hole early in his career and got trucked by guards too often. But, he has bulked up and improved his reads and reaction time. I'm thrilled. Never hated the kid. I did talk about the areas of his game that needed improvement, but I didn't know that was cause for ridicule. It is a shame I have to defend myself here as I never called him a bust or anything like it. Young players take time to develop, and I've always allowed for that.

"Good natured ribbing"? No one brings up something so incessantly that doesn't have some deep seated issues with those he accuses. You really seem to have disdain for those who criticized Timmons and the negative posters. It is not me (as you suggest) who takes right and wrong so seriously.

Oviedo, I really enjoy your more analytical posts. I'd never put you on ignore. I respect your opinion (whether I agree or not) and think that you have an interesting perspective. In past seasons, you've actually been one of my favorite posters.

Lately though, it is as if there is your opinion and the wrong opinion. You spend a lot of time highlighting how you were right and how others were miserably wrong or simply full or hate or negativity (when you yourself have been so). Maybe I don't get into the smack talk of this generation. Maybe I'm missing some humor or irony here. For me, this behavior simply seems vain, petty and self-righteous (and frankly, beneath you).

I said my peace. I don't want to bicker on and on. If you don't agree at all, then I'd be happy to hear your response. After that, I'm back to talking football.

steelblood

I've been wrong about Pouncey. I've been wrong about Urbik. I have no issue saying it.

The good natured ribbing is because so many act like admitting it is like they are castrating their manhood. Have you noticed that the posters lashing out at me have never really said that they were wrong about Timmons but instead they try to deflect the issue by criticizing that I keep bringing it up. I really doin't care if they ever admit it but I find it hummerous how this has been turned to be my issue and not theirs.

I made a promise to phillyesq that I would not bring it up again and I had a moment of weakness and did so I won't offend anyone and suggest that anyone was ever wrong about the two years of crap they posted about Timmons. I'll never bring up that Timmons may end up being one of the best picks we have made in the past 5 years. I'm officially going silent on any positives about Timmons.

BTW...not completely sold on Redman yet. Seems to have a Gary Russell like career shaping up for him. BTW I was wrong about Russell too :wink:

steelblood
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM

steelblood

I've been wrong about Pouncey. I've been wrong about Urbik. I have no issue saying it.

The good natured ribbing is because so many act like admitting it is like they are castrating their manhood. Have you noticed that the posters lashing out at me have never really said that they were wrong about Timmons but instead they try to deflect the issue by criticizing that I keep bringing it up. I really doin't care if they ever admit it but I find it hummerous how this has been turned to be my issue and not theirs.

I made a promise to phillyesq that I would not bring it up again and I had a moment of weakness and did so I won't offend anyone and suggest that anyone was ever wrong about the two years of crap they posted about Timmons. I'll never bring up that Timmons may end up being one of the best picks we have made in the past 5 years. I'm officially going silent on any positives about Timmons.

BTW...not completely sold on Redman yet. Seems to have a Gary Russell like career shaping up for him. BTW I was wrong about Russell too :wink:

Don't be ridiculous. Positives about Timmons are a very good thing! One positive for Timmons is that he will be very rich beginning in 2012.

Pouncey has surprised everyone. What a great pick. I wonder if it was Colbert's or Tomlin's.

Chucktownsteeler
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Way not just play like you had a set and go for the first down?

Chucktown

phillyesq
10-05-2010, 06:33 PM

So you would pass on a player with huge upside? That is what quality organizations have the luxury of doing. They don't need to draft for desperate immediate needs like teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc.

Plus the sign of a great not good scouting organization is the ability to project how good a player will be for the entirity of his career not the beginning.

BTW, given your philosophy we would not have drafted Mendenhall either because he was in the same situation as Timmons. Would you pass on him too?

This is actually an interesting question from a few perspectives.

First is risk reward - with "project" type picks, there is a significant risk of drafting a Jamain Stephens. I'm not saying the comparison b/w Stephens and Timmons is perfect; Stephens was more raw, and from a smaller school. But with respect to the drafting of a raw, high upside player, the risk is that those players usually have a huge potential downside as well (e.g., Stephens). The upside is getting what the Steelers are getting now from Timmons.

Second is whether waiting for a project to develop makes sense financially in today's NFL. Assume you have to wait for a player to get to their fourth year before they blossom. You get year 4, and hopefully a holdout free year 5, and then the player is a FA, who you must retain at significant cost, or lose. Especially with the cap (if it returns), and even without it, you need production from lower cost players, and players on a first contract (even a first round pick) have lower numbers than mediocre veterans. Is it worth it to invest in a first round pick, and the resources associated with that pick, for 2 years, even if those are 2 great years?

I'm not advocating either way, just putting this out there.

JTP53609
10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
that pic at the top looks like he is wearing soccer shoes rather than football shoes..and i know very little about soccer, but they dont look like football

Relentless7
10-06-2010, 01:12 AM

When you draft (and have to pay) a mid first rounder, it would be nice to not have to wait 3 years before they are able to step on the field and contribute in any way. Obviously upside is a very important scouting tool, but I'm concerned with more and more teams being "fooled" by workout warriors who simply have very little success on the actual football field. (yes I also disliked the Worilds pick) There were other much more immediate holes we could have filled with that first rounder (O- line and secondary come to mind right away) BUT I will say this, I think in that draft the Steelers were undoubtedly targeting Revis and when NYJ traded up and snached him we were forced to "scramble" somewhat. I never called it a "horrible" pick. I never said it was a HUGE mistake... I just would have preferd we went a different direction.

Also to your last point. Comparing Timmons to Mendy is a bit of a stretch. Mendy had almost 400 carries in college as well as being a featured back in a run first offense. He gained 2500 yards and scored 22 TD's. I'd say that's a very fair Body of work to judge. Timmons really only PLAYED in his last season. He had 125 tackles his entire college career. (Posluszny had 336 just for comparison's sake) So REALLY the only similarities between Timmons and Mendy were they were both first round picks at positions where we already had an established starter. I could further argue depth at RB is MUCH more important than depth at MLB due to the injuries of the running back position, but I think you get my point.

Again I love Timmons. I hope he becomes a perennial Pro- Bowler. But I will always be weary of drafting players in the first round that are years away (at best) from helping you on the football field. Third... 4th rounders? Sure that's different. But in the first round I want someone that can be able to come in an help you on the field right away, Ala Pouncey.

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Pouncey is the exception.. Timmons is the norm.

Timmons made contributions his first and second year... and he was damn good last year.

People want instant success and that isn't going to happen on our D. Fans need to stop looking at draft picks who immediately start on lousy teams as proof we are doing this drafting thing all wrong. Poz and Beason aren't walking into Latrobe and starting from day one.

AngryAsian
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
This 'retrospective-philosophising' on our draft choices drive me crazy. Poz would of never thrived in this defense. Sorry, I know that's not a popular thought with most of my board brethren being huge Big Ten fans. Timmons was/is a great pick and I'm glad he's thriving... what is he 23... and just now hitting his stride. He's going to be dominant. Thanks, Chadman.

hawaiiansteel
10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Lawrence Timmons Is The Steelers' Biggest Story

By Sam Wilmoth - Contributor

Forget quarterbacks. The real story of the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers is that Lawrence Timmons is here to destroy you - quietly.

http://fieldgoalpost.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/lawrence-timmons-3.jpg

In a year of unprecedented (and mostly undesirable) attention from the media, one of the biggest stories on the Pittsburgh Steelers is being criminally ignored: Lawrence Timmons has become one of the best linebackers in the NFL. Even though many of Timmons' contributions have been obvious to Steeler fans, praise for his play has been remarkably scant.

There is literally nothing exciting about Timmons besides his game-changing play. Famously quiet and not exactly long on charisma, Timmons is not a character with whom many outside of Steeler nation are familiar. In fact, it's difficult to find much written about him at all. Steelers fans hungry for Youtube clips of Timmons' phenomenal play are just as likely unearth this clip of his son gettin' down.

While sitting through an interview with the twenty-four year old linebacker is sometimes painful, so are the hits he dishes out to opposing offenses. Timmons has been utterly dominant this year, and there are at least 192 reasons to think so. 192, as in the number of tackles he is on pace for in 2010. To put that number into perspective, that's nearly 40 tackles more than James Farrior's career high. Anyone watching the Steelers' first four games was sure to spot Timmons all over the field, making play after play despite difficult assignments like tailing Titans running back Chris Johnson.

But many of Timmons' greatest accomplishments don't show up on the stat sheet. He has the range to line up on one side of the field pre-snap, then fly over to the other in zone coverage - or terrorize the quarterback up the middle. That kind of versatility makes an already perplexing defense even more difficult for the opposition to read at the line. This kind of mayhem has always been the bread and butter of Dick LeBeau's zone blitz scheme.

He's still very young and maturing physically. But now he's becoming LeBeau's second-level Troy Polamalu. LeBeau can do anything with him.

Until he gets the credit he deserves, Timmons will continue to dominate quietly. But don't worry, Steelers faithful, Timmons is only 24; the rest of the country will have the better part of a decade to notice.

Poll:

How many Browns will Lawrence Timmons take down in Week 6?

0-4. Timmons is a fluke, and I am an idiot.

5-7. A decent day for a lesser backer.

8-9. He'd have more opportunities if there weren't going to be so many three-and-outs.

10+ Timmons will also tackle Eric Mangini, just for the hell of it.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... rgh-tomlin (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2010/10/11/1739950/lawrence-timmons-steelers-roethlisberger-farrior-polamalu-chris-johnson-titans-pittsburgh-tomlin)

feltdizz
10-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Timmons is a monster!

Some ask the question "why should I have to wait 3 years for Timmons to erupt?"

coaching... plain and simple. Our coaches were patient and smart enough to see a guy who can do things no other LB in the NFL can do... and instead of ruining it by making him one dimensional to satisfy some Draft nerds that thought long term.

Look at Troy... he didn't look like a superstar his first year but he showed flashes. Timmons didn't look like a star either.. but he damn sure showed flashes of greatness.

Draft nerds want guys to play instantly so they can brag to friends and put stats up against other 1st rounders and cream on their stat sheets.

Our playbook on D is said to be twice as thick as the offenses... LeBeau created this D from scratch.. it's not like players can plug and play in our zone blitz.

Oviedo
10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Lawrence Timmons Is The Steelers' Biggest Story

By Sam Wilmoth - Contributor

Forget quarterbacks. The real story of the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers is that Lawrence Timmons is here to destroy you - quietly.

http://fieldgoalpost.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/lawrence-timmons-3.jpg

In a year of unprecedented (and mostly undesirable) attention from the media, one of the biggest stories on the Pittsburgh Steelers is being criminally ignored: Lawrence Timmons has become one of the best linebackers in the NFL. Even though many of Timmons' contributions have been obvious to Steeler fans, praise for his play has been remarkably scant.

There is literally nothing exciting about Timmons besides his game-changing play. Famously quiet and not exactly long on charisma, Timmons is not a character with whom many outside of Steeler nation are familiar. In fact, it's difficult to find much written about him at all. Steelers fans hungry for Youtube clips of Timmons' phenomenal play are just as likely unearth this clip of his son gettin' down.

While sitting through an interview with the twenty-four year old linebacker is sometimes painful, so are the hits he dishes out to opposing offenses. Timmons has been utterly dominant this year, and there are at least 192 reasons to think so. 192, as in the number of tackles he is on pace for in 2010. To put that number into perspective, that's nearly 40 tackles more than James Farrior's career high. Anyone watching the Steelers' first four games was sure to spot Timmons all over the field, making play after play despite difficult assignments like tailing Titans running back Chris Johnson.

But many of Timmons' greatest accomplishments don't show up on the stat sheet. He has the range to line up on one side of the field pre-snap, then fly over to the other in zone coverage - or terrorize the quarterback up the middle. That kind of versatility makes an already perplexing defense even more difficult for the opposition to read at the line. This kind of mayhem has always been the bread and butter of bad word LeBeau's zone blitz scheme.

He's still very young and maturing physically. But now he's becoming LeBeau's second-level Troy Polamalu. LeBeau can do anything with him.

Until he gets the credit he deserves, Timmons will continue to dominate quietly. But don't worry, Steelers faithful, Timmons is only 24; the rest of the country will have the better part of a decade to notice.

Poll:

How many Browns will Lawrence Timmons take down in Week 6?

0-4. Timmons is a fluke, and I am an idiot.

5-7. A decent day for a lesser backer.

8-9. He'd have more opportunities if there weren't going to be so many three-and-outs.

10+ Timmons will also tackle Eric Mangini, just for the hell of it.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... rgh-tomlin (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2010/10/11/1739950/lawrence-timmons-steelers-roethlisberger-farrior-polamalu-chris-johnson-titans-pittsburgh-tomlin)

While I would like to comment I will be gracious and won't so I don't offend anyone :stirpot

Oviedo
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Timmons is a monster!

Some ask the question "why should I have to wait 3 years for Timmons to erupt?"

coaching... plain and simple. Our coaches were patient and smart enough to see a guy who can do things no other LB in the NFL can do... and instead of ruining it by making him one dimensional to satisfy some Draft nerds that thought long term.

Look at Troy... he didn't look like a superstar his first year but he showed flashes. Timmons didn't look like a star either.. but he damn sure showed flashes of greatness.

Draft nerds want guys to play instantly so they can brag to friends and put stats up against other 1st rounders and cream on their stat sheets.

Our playbook on D is said to be twice as thick as the offenses... LeBeau created this D from scratch.. it's not like players can plug and play in our zone blitz.

:Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree Very well stated and right on the mark

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Timmons relishes his role

October 18, 2010 01:20 AM
By: JIM WEXELL
Herald Standard

PITTSBURGH - James Harrison had a mob of reporters around his locker following the Steelers' 28-10 win over the Cleveland Browns, and for good reason.

Harrison's punishing - and legal - hits, according to Mike Tomlin, knocked two of the best Cleveland Browns out of the game for good.

The mob around Harrison, though, didn't prevent the linebacker from eyeballing the only person standing around his next-door-neighbor's locker.

"Say hello to Uncle James," Lawrence Timmons told his young son.

"Hello James!" shouted the little guy.

Harrison melted and toyed with the boy before getting back to his questioners.

For Timmons, who had just as many tackles as Harrison, a half sack more, and an interception, the low profile suits him just fine.

"We're a team defense," he said. "I'm not really worried about individual stuff. I'm just trying to help the team out as much as I can."

Timmons is helping the team out more this season than at any point in his four-year career. His 11 tackles Sunday give him 73 for the season, or 32 more than team runner-up James Farrior.

In fact, Timmons went into the game trailing the NFL leader by five tackles, even though he played in one less game.

"He's been great all season," said Farrior. "He's really been outstanding - a big hitter, a lot of big splash plays. I said at the beginning of the season I could tell it's his time. He's really come a long way. I think he's evolved into one of the elite linebackers in the league."

Timmons made his presence felt early Sunday. On Cleveland's second possession, after advancing to the Pittsburgh 23, Timmons sacked Colt McCoy for a 7-yard loss to force the Browns to kick a field goal.

His second sack, on the Browns' first possession of the second half, forced a punt after the Browns had advanced to the Pittsburgh 37.

Just as importantly was Timmons' play in coverage, as well as his play at the point of attack against brutish Browns tailback Peyton Hillis. Twice Timmons met the 240-pounder in the hole and stopped him for no gain. He was a key factor in holding Hillis to 41 yards rushing.

Not all was perfect, though. Timmons made a mistake in the fourth quarter that cost the Steelers seven points.

While covering tight end Ben Watson in the end zone, Timmons left the man to pursue a scrambling McCoy, who then flipped it to the wide-open Watson for the Browns' only touchdown.

"I thought he broke the line of scrimmage but he didn't," said Timmons. "I put us in a bad situation there and that's something I never do."

"We all make mistakes," said Farrior. "You're never going to have a perfect game. I'm sure he's upset about it. He made enough plays to make up for it."

Timmons, in fact, made up for it the next time the Browns had the ball. Ryan Mundy read a play, which he said, "they had been running over and over." But while Mundy broke perfectly on the ball, he didn't intercept it. He instead deflected it to Timmons, who did intercept it.

Just before the play, Timmons received some advice from both Tomlin and coordinator D!ck LeBeau.

"They just always give me tips before the play," Timmons said. "They just make sure I'm always aware."

Timmons was aware, as is the rest of the NFL, which is beginning to pay more attention to one of the top young linebackers in the game.

http://www.heraldstandard.com/news_deta ... -role.html (http://www.heraldstandard.com/news_detail/article/1636/2010/october/18/timmons-relishes-his-role.html)

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Want to talk about improvement?

Timmons had 78 tackles and 7 sacks in 14 games last season.

He already has 73 tackles and 3 sacks in 5 games this season.

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Timmons is Steelers Digest Player of the Week

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1098697/32179208E.jpg

LAWRENCE TIMMONS

The primary focus of the day was the return of Ben Roethlisberger, but as they had been doing all season to this point, the Pittsburgh Steelers showed themselves to be anything but a one-man team.

The Steelers defense came into the game ranked No. 4 in the NFL overall, but No. 1 in points scored, and the unit recorded five sacks and forced two of the three takeaways the team managed over the course of a 28-10 win over the Cleveland Browns in front of 65,168 enthusiastic fans on Sunday at Heinz Field.

As he has been since this season opened, Lawrence Timmons was a big part of the defense’s success, with 11 tackles, two sacks that raised his season total to three, and an interception that set up the Steelers’ final touchdown. For that performance, Timmons is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Roethlisberger, who completed 16-of-27 for 257 yards with three touchdowns and one interception for a rating of 112.7; Rashard Mendenhall, who rushed for 84 yards on 27 carries and scored a touchdown for the sixth straight game at Heinz Field; James Harrison, who tied Timmons for the team lead with 11 tackles and added 1.5 sacks and one forced fumble; and Keyaron Fox, who had two special teams tackles and recovered a muffed punt by Chansi Stuckey.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 6415ef1614 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Timmons-is-Player-of-the-Week/e0d223d6-f3b9-4fa6-aeef-0b6415ef1614)

feltdizz
10-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Czar is buying a new computer right now after punching his last one :tt2

The guy is a terror on the field... his upside is scary.

The one knock was that screen play he came inside on.. he has to force that guy inside.

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2010, 03:37 PM

The one knock was that screen play he came inside on.. he has to force that guy inside.

Actually, the one knock was on the lone Cleveland TD. Timmons was supposed to be covering Ben Watson on that play, but when McCoy left the pocket, Timmons went after the QB instead, and Colt tossed the ball to the now-wide-open TE who Timmons was supposed to be covering.

SteelCrazy
10-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Actually, the one knock was on the lone Cleveland TD. Timmons was supposed to be covering Ben Watson on that play, but when McCoy left the pocket, Timmons went after the QB instead, and Colt tossed the ball to the now-wide-open TE who Timmons was supposed to be covering.

There is one more bad play by Timmons and it was covering Watson agsin. Watson ran an up and out and Timmons had the coverage. Timmons looked back at the QB while pursuing Watson and that slowed him way down and put about 5 yards between him and Watson who easily caught the pass for a 1st down. However, I love his overall play. He'll get better and that is scary.

Oviedo
10-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Actually, I'd like to know whether there was suppose to be a safety providing coverage over the top and he looked like he was late. Timmons doesn't go after McCoy he runs into the end zone unmolested.

papillon
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM

Actually, I'd like to know whether there was suppose to be a safety providing coverage over the top and he looked like he was late. Timmons doesn't go after McCoy he runs into the end zone unmolested.

Isn't this the play that Tomlin and Lebeau gave Timmons an earful when he came off the field? I think they were upset because he abandoned his responsibilities thinking that the quarterback had broken the line of scrimmage. I think.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Isn't this the play that Tomlin and Lebeau gave Timmons an earful when he came off the field? I think they were upset because he abandoned his responsibilities thinking that the quarterback had broken the line of scrimmage. I think.

Pappy

if they did I think it's one of those plays where Timmons tried to do someone elses job at the expense of his own. He was in a tough position but if he sticks with his man, McCoy walks in and someone else is getting an earful.

ikestops85
10-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Pappy

if they did I think it's one of those plays where Timmons tried to do someone elses job at the expense of his own. He was in a tough position but if he sticks with his man, McCoy walks in and someone else is getting an earful.

Exactly! He was in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" type situation. He was the only defender on that side of the field between the QB and the goal line. I don't know why he took crap for that play.

papillon
10-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Pappy

And, I think that is their point, do your job, trust your teammates and we'll look at the film after the game. Had he waited for McCoy to cross the LOS with his explosiveness he may have been able to make a play on McCoy before he scored.

Regardless, I think Lebeau and Tomlin are instilling the fact that you play defense as a team and you don't try to do the job of two, take care of your responsibilities and the rest takes care of itself.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM
And, I think that is their point, do your job, trust your teammates and we'll look at the film after the game. Had he waited for McCoy to cross the LOS with his explosiveness he may have been able to make a play on McCoy before he scored.

Regardless, I think Lebeau and Tomlin are instilling the fact that you play defense as a team and you don't try to do the job of two, take care of your responsibilities and the rest takes care of itself.

Pappy

:Agree Last year they said this was the main problem with our D. Everyone was trying to do too much instead of their own job.

hawaiiansteel
10-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Lawrence Timmons' Twitter:

Don’t Take the Physical Play out of Football

I hate that people are giving James Harrison a bad rap right now. James is one of the nicest guys I know, and I can’t stand the way he’s being perceived.

I don’t think James was out to hurt anyone against Cleveland. He was just playing football, and that’s how we do it. It’s a collision sport, you’re going to have collisions out there. A receiver might be 5-10, 165 pounds and run a 4.4 in the 40, but when he runs into James Harrison he’s going to be hurting.

Defensive players are taught to have an aggressive persona. Guys getting hurt can be a sticky situation, but it’s been going on since I first learned how to play football. That’s the way the game is played.

I hope and pray that James doesn’t retire. He’s a guy I look up to. You would think a guy who has been MVP and been to all those Pro Bowls all the time could just take it easy, but not this guy. He comes to work every day and he works hard every day. He takes nothing for granted. He’s in the gym constantly and always running extra sprints. He has an unbelievable work ethic and he loves the game.

I have nothing but good things to say about him. I want to be just like him on the field, he’s the prototype of a great player.

On the Cribbs hit, he was getting tackled by LaMarr Woodley and James came across the top as Cribbs was going down. The way they talk about it in the media, you would think Cribbs was coming across the middle like a sitting duck and James lined him up. He was a moving target. James couldn’t have hit him helmet to helmet if he had tried.

Massaquoi saw James coming and lowered his head. He was probably bracing for the hit and that might not have been the best thing for him to do. It was just a football play.

With the new rules, you’re going to see more neck injuries and more knee injuries. Guys will be afraid to come over the top or they’ll get suspended. Guys are going to go lower for tackles and they’re going to have to lower their necks to cut guys. That could hurt both players, the defensive guy could tweak his neck and the offensive player could blow out his knee when he gets hit there at full speed.

We’re always taught not to hit a guy in the knees, that it’s a cheap shot. No one talks about headshots as a dirty play. I would rather have someone going for my chest, neck and head area than my knees.

You can’t take the physical play out of football. I don’t understand why anyone would want to.

Now the NFL is putting defensive players in a pickle. Things happen so fast out there you don’t have time to think. That should be a factor when the league is deciding about fines and suspensions. Sometimes an offensive guy running full speed could run you over. If Massaquoi had stood up and run over James, that wouldn’t have been a problem for anyone. I think they’re setting new rules to make it easier for the offense, because they want to see more points in the board.

I don’t see why all of a sudden this is such a big deal. Sometimes a guy gets his clock cleaned and gets a concussion. Growing up I saw it happen all the time. Football has been going on the same way for a long time, and all of a sudden everyone is making a big deal about it.

I’m scared to hit someone like I normally would. I could get fined $50,000 and miss a game. I can’t do that, I have a family. I’m definitely going to try to hit guys low, that’s for sure.

And then they institute the rule over 2-3 days in the middle of the season and they just expect us to adjust? We’ve had no time to prepare for it. It’s just there all of a sudden and you have to obey it. The timing of it is ridiculous. This is the kind of thing they should introduce during training camp so we all have a chance to get used to it.

Only a certain amount of people can do this job. The physical nature of the game is what separates the real football players from the fake ones. Sometimes the bear gets you, sometimes you get the bear. It’s a tough man’s game. It’s not two-hand touch. Sometimes, guys are going to get creamed out there. It’s happened to me plenty of times.

I accept it, because that’s football.

Lawrence Timmons is a linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers. His blog for http://www.playerpress.com runs at http://www.timmons94.com. Follow him on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/lawrencetimmons.

Djfan
10-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Timmons might just get fined for this tweet.

feltdizz
10-21-2010, 09:21 AM
hit guys low(er) would sound much better Timmons.... but I get the point.

RuthlessBurgher
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Timmons will be fined $50,000 for having the longest Tweet ever.

I thought you were supposed to be limited to 140 characters on Twitter? :wink:

flippy
10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Timmons will be fined $50,000 for having the longest Tweet ever.

I thought you were supposed to be limited to 140 characters on Twitter? :wink:

I was wondering how long that tweet took to type on his blackberry. :lol