PDA

View Full Version : Inspirtational Quotes

Shawn
10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Are there any quotes that you love, or have helped guide your thinking? I read this one recently and it hit home.

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as
in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself
about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake
me." - Stonewall Jackson

MCHammer
10-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Not trying to be flippant (maybe a little), but I like this one for what it says about the man. It's fictional, but people who knew Patton say George C. Scott nailed it.

Clergyman: I was interested to see a Bible by your bed. You actually find time to read it?

Patton: I sure do. Every goddamn day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066206/quotes

Discipline of Steel
10-05-2010, 12:38 AM
...the secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery, a riddle. You must learn it's secret, you must learn it's discipline, for no one, no one on this Earth can you trust, not man, not women, not beast...but this, this you can trust. You must learn the discipline of steel.

flippy
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king - no idea?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - MLKJr

Don't Worry. Be Happy. - Bobby McFerrin

Djfan
10-06-2010, 07:22 PM
'I have overcome the world." Jesus

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake. - Napolean

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Edison

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. - ?

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Speak softly and carry a big stick - ?

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing. - Albert Schweitzer

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed. - Booker T Washington

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Never miss a good chance to shut up. - Will Rogers

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:33 AM
All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. - Thomas Jefferson

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
There are no facts, only interpretations. - Nietzche

flippy
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
We didn't lose the game. We just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

eniparadoxgma
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Here's the ones I have on my FB account:

Quotations
"F@!# what you heard I brought down the Titanic."

"When you cease to look, you will see."

"The snake that cannot shed its skin perishes. So do the spirits who are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be spirit."

"It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed."

"In stalemate we stagnate"

"Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."

“These things will destroy the human race: politics without principle, progress without compassion, wealth without work, learning without silence, religion without fearlessness and worship without awareness.”

"Nobody can be said to have attained the pinnacle of Truth until a thousand sincere people have denounced him for blasphemy."

"Mourn not the dead. The living suffer."

If you want to know who they be I'll fill that in later.

fordfixer
10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up any way - John Wayne

papillon
10-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Luck occurs when preparation meets opportunity - Author unknown

If you can't be part of the solution, don't be part of the problem. - Author Unknown

Pappy

Chadman
10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
For Generation Y...

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter". Martin Luther King Jnr.

If Gen Y could be a little less apothetic...who knows...maybe things would look up for the future?

"Every choice you make has an end result". Zig Ziglar

"If the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati. Everything comes there 10 years later" Mark Twain

"A tragedy is a representation of an action that is whole and complete and of a certain magnitude. A whole is what has a beginning and middle and end."
Aristotle

"He that humbleth himself wishes to be exalted."
Friedrich Nietzsche - Ben? are you listening?

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche - All time favourite.

fordfixer
10-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy.

First, let her think she's having her way and
Second, let her have it

Lyndon B. Johnson

flippy
10-23-2010, 09:57 PM
THis job would be great if it wasn't for the f&#$ing customers - guy in Clerks

Pretty much sums up a man's working life....

Jooser
10-26-2010, 10:42 PM
'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' - Ronald Reagan

A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.
-Benjamin Franklin

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
-Thomas Jefferson

As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also.
-Thomas Jefferson

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
-Robert E. Lee

The trite saying that honesty is the best policy has met with the just criticism that honesty is not policy. The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
-Robert E. Lee

Boy, those French: they have a different word for everything!
-Steve Martin

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S. Patton

Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war.
-George S. Patton

Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
-George S. Patton

flippy
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S. Patton

Wonder if Goodell mentioned this to Harrison before he fined him?

ghettoscott
12-04-2010, 11:56 PM
"Time is what we want most, but what, alas! we use worst.." - Bill Penn

snarky
12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
"Logical consequences are the scarecrows of fools and the beacons of wise men." - Thomas Huxley

"The good traveler never arrives" - Lao Tzu

"That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Not sure who said this first

EDIT: OK, that last one's not inspirational. But I still like it.

snarky
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Boy, those French: they have a different word for everything!
-Steve Martin

I find that this is more true of Germans:

For example:

Telekommunikationssytemelektroniker
Einhandmotorkettensägenführerlehrgangsteilnahmebes tätigung
Supermarkteinkaufstütenbeschriftung

or even

ratskeller (pub beneath street level)

See here for more:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=23343

fordfixer
12-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever,

Shane Falco

siss
01-01-2011, 06:05 PM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

costanza2k1
01-03-2011, 05:16 PM
lately I've been dropping this one a lot:

?"Life is for living, folks. Don't let a number be anything other than a number. Don't let somebody tell you that you're too old to do this or too old to do that. Stay in life. Life is a gift. It's a joy. Don't drop out of it. Don't let somebody else tell you and don't let your mind tell you."- Dick LeBeau