PDA

View Full Version : Some comments on 1/4 season

1st and Goal--
10-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Why is no one commenting on the missed tackles. It was even apparent in the Tampa Bay game. The D was tired. I guess when you win the negatives are glossed over. The super extra effort game against Tennessee[Atlanta too] took plenty out of the D. Could anyone realistically expect the Defense to sustain this intensity over a long tough schedule. No way!

Of course, 3-1 is surprising and acceptable, and the gutsy and workmanlike contributions of the BU QB's should be commended and highly appreciated by Steeler fans. But, the fact is, if not for the Bengals bungling in Cleveland, the Steelers would be in 3rd place in the division today. Yes, third. And, with the challenging part of the schedule IMO ahead.[I do not have the high opinion of either Atlanta or Baltimore so many experts seem to have----we'll see].

This off week, ordinarily considered too early, could not have come at a better time this year. Now, if a rested Steeler squad can get back its timing and some offensive consistency with Big Ben back, the Steelers should be able to compete for the division title. I think so.

I suppose my outlook is an optimistic one. What's yours?

D Rock
10-04-2010, 06:38 AM
optimistic? Hardly. You downplay 3-1 without Roethlisberger by pointing out that they would be 3rd in the division if Cinci didn't blow it. I guess being on pace for a 12-4 season isn't good enough for some.

Hoping that they will be able to hang tough and compete for a division title is not optimistic, especially when many are now saying they have Super Bowl potential.

If this team doesn't go into 2009 mode then a worst case scenario has them...

Cleveland - W ... 4-1
split with Miami and New Orleans...5-2
split with New England and Cinci...6-3
beat Oakland and Buffalo...8-3
revenge win against Baltimore...9-3
split with Cinci and NY Jets...10-4
wins against Carolina and Cleveland....12-4

I see no worse than 4-2 in the division. 12-4 record and 4-2 in the division...that's a division title, and possibly homefield advantage....with that being even more likely if Miami takes down NE tonight and leaves both them and the Colts sitting at 2 losses early in the season.

JTP53609
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I see 12-4 too....and Mendy is about to take off...

1st and Goal--
10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
D Rock has the Steelers at 12-4 in a worst case scenario. "If this team doesn't go into 2009 mode".

Did you mean like taking a 4pt. lead late in the 4thQ [7:10] getting a short KO and watching the opponent zip down the field to a 1st and goal at the 8. Then somehow stiffening and getting the ball back and having a 2nd and 8 with 2:35 left and the opponent out of Time Outs and still managing to find a way to lose the game.

I thought I was being optimistic in excusing this as simply being tired and a week off will cure all.

Ben comes back razor sharp, the D stays solid, l0-6 is as optimistic as I'm going to get. Well, maybe 11 and 5. 8-4 in the next 12 games does not seem out of reach. But, I still think the old cliche "play them one at a time" is the best policy.

Oviedo
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
optimistic? Hardly. You downplay 3-1 without Roethlisberger by pointing out that they would be 3rd in the division if Cinci didn't blow it. I guess being on pace for a 12-4 season isn't good enough for some.

Hoping that they will be able to hang tough and compete for a division title is not optimistic, especially when many are now saying they have Super Bowl potential.

If this team doesn't go into 2009 mode then a worst case scenario has them...

Cleveland - W ... 4-1
split with Miami and New Orleans...5-2
split with New England and Cinci...6-3
beat Oakland and Buffalo...8-3
revenge win against Baltimore...9-3
split with Cinci and NY Jets...10-4
wins against Carolina and Cleveland....12-4

I see no worse than 4-2 in the division. 12-4 record and 4-2 in the division...that's a division title, and possibly homefield advantage....with that being even more likely if Miami takes down NE tonight and leaves both them and the Colts sitting at 2 losses early in the season.

I think 11-5 or 12-4 is very possible as long as the defense does not repeat their problems of 2009.

Ben will come back a man obsessed and that could mean real probelms for the rest of the league. The one thing they have to watch is their record in the division which they are already 0-1 after yesterday. Got to get 4-2 in the division so we win the division tile and don't lose on a tiebreaker.

Captain Lemming
10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
D Rock has the Steelers at 12-4 in a worst case scenario. "If this team doesn't go into 2009 mode".

Did you mean like taking a 4pt. lead late in the 4thQ [7:10] getting a short KO and watching the opponent zip down the field to a 1st and goal at the 8. Then somehow stiffening and getting the ball back and having a 2nd and 8 with 2:35 left and the opponent out of Time Outs and still managing to find a way to lose the game.

I thought I was being optimistic in excusing this as simply being tired and a week off will cure all.

Ben comes back razor sharp, the D stays solid, l0-6 is as optimistic as I'm going to get. Well, maybe 11 and 5. 8-4 in the next 12 games does not seem out of reach. But, I still think the old cliche "play them one at a time" is the best policy.
This is ridiculous.
We have the best team in the league with Ben, easy.

Let me ask you this.
Start a mix of Dixon and Batch on the team of your choice.
Give that team our four games.
What team is 3-1?

We are on a pace for 12-4 and "when" we cut Batch nobody will want him as "a backup".

The last time we started 3-1 we went 12-4 and won the SB.

That SB team "minus Ben" against this schedule? 1-4 Easy.

phillyesq
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
[quote="1st and Goal--":2mwutfkp]D Rock has the Steelers at 12-4 in a worst case scenario. "If this team doesn't go into 2009 mode".

This is ridiculous.
We have the best team in the league with Ben, easy.

Let me ask you this.
Start a mix of Dixon and Batch on the team of your choice.
Give that team our four games.
What team is 3-1?

We are on a pace for 12-4 and "when" we cut Batch nobody will want him as "a backup".

The last time we started 3-1 we went 12-4 and won the SB.

That SB team "minus Ben" against this schedule? 1-4 Easy.[/quote:2mwutfkp]

This is really a good point. The Colts are 2-2 with Manning - imagine what their record would be with Dixon/Batch.

I'm very happy with 3-1. A win against the Ravens would be nice, but those are always tough games, and tougher still without Ben. Another way to look at this game: the Ravens needed last minute heroics to beat the Steelers with their 4th string qb. I think the Steelers will take the revenge match in B-more.