PDA

View Full Version : Ok, who gets your vote as goat of the game?

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Jeff Reed - two crucial missed FGs, if he makes just one of them we go to at least OT and if he makes them both we are 4-0.

Bryant McFadden - his man (WhosYourMama) was wide open for the winning TD.

Bruce Arians - his play calling was horrible today.

Matt Spaeth/Chris Kemoeatu - how do you commit two false start penalties at the end of the game when we only need one first down to seal the game?

Steelers>NFL
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Jeff Reed - two crucial missed FGs, if he makes just one of them we go to at least OT and if he makes them both we are 4-0.

Matt Spaeth/Chris Kemoeatu - how do you commit two false start penalties at the end of the game when we only need one first down to seal the game?

The usual - BA!

LordVile
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I go with ol' boozy REED as the goat...

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Matt Spaeth/Chris Kemoeatu - how do you commit two false start penalties at the end of the game when we only need one first down to seal the game? AT HOME!!

ftfy

Steelhere10
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
BA, if his play calling was not so bad maybe we get td instead of kicking fgs.

Crash
10-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Mr. Hall of Famer LeBeau and Jeff Reed.

williar
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Whoever called 3 straight run plays up the middle when we desperately needed a first down to seal the game.

Whoever called that defense that left the raven receivers wide open on the last two drives when we desperately needed a stop.

chiken
10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Charlie Batch..
Sacks when he should have thrown it away (at least)
over throwing a wide open receiver (Miller).
Throwing to the wrong Receiver.
missing open men (repeated)
and on a Free play (offsides) choosing to throw deep to a man who was double covered (Battle I think) instead of laying it up to your big play threat (free play hit the freaking play maker)

Discipline of Steel
10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Jeff Reed. 'Money' in Pittsburgh no longer applies. 40+ yrd field goal are by no means given but he should have made at least one of those.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM

yeah, what was up with that last defensive call that left BMac in single coverage with no safety help whatsoever? :wft

Crash
10-03-2010, 09:55 PM

yeah, what was up with that last defensive call that left BMac in single coverage with no safety help whatsoever? :wft

I'm tired of the passive vagina defense in the final 15 minutes.

What good is it to dominate for 45 when you totally change what you do in the final 15?

Leper Friend
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM

They just showed Houshmandzadeh's td on NBC. He barely even sold the out route and Mcfadden bites on it. How does that happen ? And if Mcfadden is that bad in man coverage , why put him in that position ?

Anf eff Jeff Reed.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2010, 10:00 PM
and our defense had Aaron Smith and Troy this time so we can't use that excuse...

Steelhere10
10-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Let alone giving 10 yards of cushion from your on 40 yard line.And not protecting the side line.

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Our secondary sux because we always give that cushion. The down and out route is always there for opposing receivers to just eat up. Smart OC's with good route running WRs eat will eat us up every time.

PSU_dropout43
10-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Charlie Batch..
Sacks when he should have thrown it away (at least)
over throwing a wide open receiver (Miller).
Throwing to the wrong Receiver.
missing open men (repeated)
and on a Free play (offsides) choosing to throw deep to a man who was double covered (Battle I think) instead of laying it up to your big play threat (free play hit the freaking play maker)
This.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2010, 10:14 PM
They just showed Houshmandzadeh's td on NBC. He barely even sold the out route and Mcfadden bites on it. How does that happen ? And if Mcfadden is that bad in man coverage , why put him in that position ?

Anf eff Jeff Reed.

how can McFadden bite on an out route when he knows he has no safety help over the top?

and yeah, eff Jeff Reed.

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Anf eff Jeff Reed.

how can McFadden bite on an out route when he knows he has no safety help over the top?

and yeah, eff Jeff Reed.

he has no help either way housh would have broke.

defense was counting on a quick throw, rush didn't get there in time. went for the pump and 1st move of housh

stupid design. housh can beat the majority of NFL QB's one on one with a move like that

Djfan
10-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Brucey A. He has the creativity of a drunk 13 year old boy.

birtikidis
10-03-2010, 11:03 PM
and the football knowledge of a cracked out 12 year old girl.

Djfan
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Wow! He improved, huh?

birtikidis
10-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Wow! He improved, huh?
yea, he had to give a handjob to some tweaking homeless former coach and he wouldn't shut up the whole time... so brucey learned something.

Discipline of Steel
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Anf eff Jeff Reed.

and yeah, eff Jeff Reed.

he has no help either way housh would have broke.

defense was counting on a quick throw, rush didn't get there in time. went for the pump and 1st move of housh

stupid design. housh can beat the majority of NFL QB's one on one with a move like that

No safety protection because Troy was in on the blitz.

Chadman
10-04-2010, 12:46 AM
It's all on Ben.

He's to blame.

And Goodell.

And Antonio Bryant too.

there- the Holy Trinity of Blame is complete.

NWNewell
10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Matt Spaeth/Chris Kemoeatu

While I would have liked to see Reed make one of the two missed FG's. 45+ yarders are no gimmies. You like to see him make one of the two. But at Heinz Field, making one of the two (at 45 & 49 yards) is even tougher.

But those presnap penalties are even less excusable. And to have two of them negate two consecutive 3 yard runs by Mendy in the shadow of your own goal post at that point in time is an absolute killer. 3 and 4 from the 8, or even 2nd and 7 from the 5 open up the playbook a lot more (even the running plays, sweeps, or screens). There is not a lot you can do from the 2-3 yard line on any down.

But it's not really fair to blame any one person.

- McFadden played poor technique on the last TD.

- Batch shouldn't have taken the sack on 3rd down that resulted in a 49yard FG try for Reed. He has a better chance of making a 40-42 yarder.

- Moore had a poor day in pass protection that resulted in some drive killing sacks.

- Wallace had a TD catch that he couldn't keep from getting stripped.

That's just to name a few. There are a lot of plays/mistakes that culminated in the total outcome.

ikestops85
10-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I have to go with Charlie. Arians play calling would have seemed a lot better if Batch had hit some of the open receivers we had. Even his pass to ARE (great throw and catch) was into double coverage where Wallace was in single coverage and had his man beat bad.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Steelers Report Card: Game Four vs. Baltimore Ravens

GERRY DULAC grades the Steelers' effort Sunday in their loss to Baltimore

Monday, October 04, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201010/freed_steelers100310_5_500.jpg

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Bryant McFadden can't believe he is called for pass interference against Baltimore's Anquan Boldin in the second quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.

QUARTERBACKS - C

Charlie Batch was 4 of 6 for 54 yards on the 93-yard drive that gave the Steelers a 14-10 lead in the fourth quarter. And his soft 34-yard pass to Antwaan Randle El set up the first touchdown. But the offense managed just 3 yards and failed to score on two possessions when defensive takeaways gave them the ball at the Ravens' 27 and 33, respectively, in the second half.

RUNNING BACKS - B-

Rashard Mendenhall pounded out 79 yards on 25 carries against a Ravens defense geared to stop him and also scored two touchdowns -- the second multiple TD game of his young career. His 7-yard touchdown around right end was all Mendenhall, too, because he beat the defense to the corner and got the ball inside the pylon. Isaac Redman's blitz pickup on a third-and-5 pass helped keep that drive alive.

WIDE RECEIVERS - C-

Batch kept trying to connect with Mike Wallace behind the defense, but his only success was a 20-yarder underneath the coverage. Antwaan Randle El was one of five receivers with two catches, the biggest a 34-yarder over CB Fabian Washington to set up the first touchdown. But TE Matt Spaeth had one of two false-start penalties when the Steelers were backed inside their 10 in the final two minutes.

OFFENSIVE LINE - C-

The Steelers averaged 3.1 yards per rush and finished with a season-low 84 yards rushing, not what they were hoping against a Ravens defense that allowed more than 170 yards rushing against the Browns. Batch was sacked twice, but the first one was a coverage sack. G Chris Kemoeatu had one of the three false-start penalties and rookie C Maurkice Pouncey had one of the two holding penalties.

DEFENSIVE LINE - B

The Ravens finished with 70 yards rushing on 27 carries, an average of 2.6 yards, and didn't have a run longer than 10 yards. And the only sack against QB Joe Flacco was registered by NT Casey Hampton, who forced a fumble on the play. But the Steelers needed to put more pressure on Flacco, who had committed nine turnovers in five previous games against them. Instead, he put the pressure on them.

LINEBACKERS - C

The defense made sure RB Ray Rice wasn't going to hurt them, holding him to 20 yards rushing and 9 yards receiving. ILB Lawrence Timmons led the team for the third game in a row with 13 tackles (six solo) and pressured Flacco into a bad throw on third-and-1 near midfield. But James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley failed to register a sack for the second game in a row and never flustered Flacco.

DEFENSIVE BACKS - D

Flacco was nothing short of sensational, throwing for 256 yards and completing all four pass attempts on the winning drive that took just 36 seconds. William Gay had big pass breakups on third and fourth down from the Steelers' 2 in the final three minutes to protect a 14-10 lead. But Ike Taylor's interception at the Ravens' 27 went for naught and Bryant McFadden got beat on the winning TD to Houshmandzadeh.

SPECIAL TEAMS - F

The Steelers failed to take advantage of two takeaways inside the Ravens' 35 when K Jeff Reed missed field goals from 49 and 45 yards in the third quarter. P Daniel Sepulveda was more than solid with punts of 57 and 52 yards, but special-teams captain Keyaron Fox was called for holding on Sepulveda's final punt from the end zone, giving the Ravens another 10 yards to start their final drive.

COACHING - D

There is a certain lack of concentration when you commit as many penalties in one game (11 for 88 yards) than in the previous three combined (11 for 80). And the lack of faith in the passing game was evident when the Steelers ran three consecutive plays from their 3 in the final minutes. Even when the defense finally blitzed, that backfired on the winning touchdown pass with 32 seconds left.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10277/1092504-66.stm#ixzz11Q5MCayj

aggiebones
10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Geez, I don't really think there was a goat.
There was so many major gaffs that we should have lost. Like the list above, how can you win with all those things happening.

Batch blunders on sacks, especially taking us out of easy FG range. I don't think w can expect Batch to be game ready with no practice, so he gets a mild pass. Reed missed a 45 and 49 yarder in tough wind, so a mild pass. But should make one and would have had Batch not gotten sacked.
OL false starting in crucial time. That's crap.

As much as we want to run a full package on offense from BA, Batch can't handle that load on short notice. He was dancing through the raindrops all night. He's mediocre and gutsy. Hardly a recipe for flinging the ball all over the field.

Defense was close but couldn't hang on at end of game with field tilting. Tough over the top TD that should have had help. It was a well designed play with someone running underneath Clark to pull him out of the deep middle right before Housh makes his break.

Basically this game was a bunch of small stuff that added up. The same could be said about the other 3 games, but they went in our favor. Without Ben, it put alot of pressure on the D and they held on to keep 3 victories. A couple of those really wore them out.

Sometimes, you can't over-think things. We survived and escaped these games with 3 wins and are lucky.

I'm not sure how people are characterizing that as a prevent when you have a safety blitzing, but whatever. Sometimes, you masquerade as one thing so that you can catch them with the later blitz. Didn't work, we got caught.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2010, 03:54 PM

that's an insult to all drunk 13 year old boys... :lol:

SteelAbility
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Our secondary sux because we always give that cushion. The down and out route is always there for opposing receivers to just eat up. Smart OC's with good route running WRs eat will eat us up every time.

That :HeadBanger -ing cusion is absolutely REEEEEETARDED.

fordfixer
10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Reed blames himself for Sunday's loss

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -loss.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/october/03/reed-blames-himself-for-sundays-loss.html)
Sunday October 3, 2010 11:53 PM

PITTSBURGH The way Jeff Reed sees it, the Steelers would be 4-0 if he did his job Sunday.

If he had connected on his two field goal tries, the Steelers wouldnt have lost to the Ravens, 17-14.

I had a fair chance to make every kick out there, but I didnt, he said.

Both of Reeds misses came in the third quarter with the Ravens ahead 10-7. He was kicking toward the south end zone. Thats the open end of Heinz Field, close to the Allegheny River, where wind often wreaks havoc with kickers.

On his first miss, Reed struck the ball well from 49 yards out but it clanged off the right upright. On his second miss, from 45 yards out, Reed pulled the kick left.

Its frustrating, he said. Itll be a tough two weeks (because of the bye). Ill just have to move on.

Reed is off to an inconsistent start this year. In his first eight seasons with the Steelers, he made 83.3 percent of his field goal tries (189 of 227). But through four games this year, hes just 8 of 12 for a 66.7 success rate.

Hes a perfect 5 of 5 on the road, where hes made kicks of 36, 34, 25, 27 and 24 yards. But hes only 3 of 7 at Heinz Field, where five of his tries have been 40 yards or longer.

I could easily blame the field. I could blame the weather. But I wont, Reed said.
Advertisement Click Here

In his first eight seasons, Reed missed two field goal attempts in the same game only three times. But already this year, hes missed two in a game twice.

Reed connected on 3 of 5 attempts in a 15-9 overtime win over Atlanta in the season opener. In that game, he made a career-long 52-yarder while kicking toward the north end zone, where the wind isnt that much of an issue. A 55-yard attempt, also toward the closed end of Heinz Field, had plenty of leg but banged off the right upright.

Later in that game, Reed also missed a 40-yarder kicking toward the south end zone.

The two I missed in the first game, I hit the ball well, he said. Its always easier to swallow if you at least hit the ball good. The first one I missed today, I hit it good. But the second one, I didnt. I knew the moment it left my foot that I missed it.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didnt have much to say when asked about Reeds misses against the Ravens.

I didnt talk to him about it, Tomlin said. I just saw that they didnt go in.

Before Sunday, Reed went 0 for 2 in field goal tries in the same game just once before Week 2 last year when he missed kicks of 38 and 43 yards in Chicago. The Steelers also lost that day 17-14.