PDA

View Full Version : Mwelde Moore's days are numbered???

SidSmythe
10-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I loved MOORE in 2008

BUT he's been exposed. He's an average runner and he can't block ...his pass protection is awful.

Steelhere10
10-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I also agree, although Randall el stepped up I think he should be looked that also.

Stewie
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
ARE played better than previously, but 2 catches and a fumbled punt ain't nothing to write home about.

SidSmythe
10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
ARE can still play the slot. I'm not judging our passing game too much until Ben gets back b/c we've been handicapped at QB.

Moore can't block ...ARE can at least catch

Chadman
10-04-2010, 12:50 AM
If Mendy gets hurt the Steelers are in trouble. Moore was only ever OK, and with Redman & Dwyer as the back-ups...well, lets just say Ben will have a lot more on his shoulders if Mendy goes down.

SteelCrazy
10-04-2010, 07:39 AM
MM missed a blitzing DB from the blind side to help on a DT that Batch would have at least seen coming....You have to be able to recognize that blitzer from the left side. I forget what part of the game it was, but it was when I decided MM needs to be replaced.

SidSmythe
10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
MM missed a blitzing DB from the blind side to help on a DT that Batch would have at least seen coming....You have to be able to recognize that blitzer from the left side. I forget what part of the game it was, but it was when I decided MM needs to be replaced.

I know exactly what ur talkin' about. That's the play that inspired this entire thread.

The free blitzer came from the weak side and he dropped down inside. It's almost as if he was hiding. haha

All last year I watched him get bowled over by blitzers and Mendenhall would stuff LB's & DB's w no problems. I think a true 3rd down back has to be a good pass protector.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Moore is done... he was great in 2008 when Parker went down but he was a stop gap. He isn't a 3rd down threat and he can't block.

He is a wasted roster space IMO.

SteelCrazy
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM

I know exactly what ur talkin' about. That's the play that inspired this entire thread.

The free blitzer came from the weak side and he dropped down inside. It's almost as if he was hiding. haha

All last year I watched him get bowled over by blitzers and Mendenhall would stuff LB's & DB's w no problems. I think a true 3rd down back has to be a good pass protector.

MM ticked me off bad that play....I could see that guy was coming 5 seconds before the snap, or he was at least faking the blitz, MM had to recognize that, didnt he?

ikestops85
10-04-2010, 12:08 PM

MM ticked me off bad that play....I could see that guy was coming 5 seconds before the snap, or he was at least faking the blitz, MM had to recognize that, didnt he?

I tend to agree with everybody. I've been a big Moore supporter but his play so far this year leaves a lot to be desired. I'd almost rather have Vincent take his spot and use Dwyer as the 3rd down back.

I haven't been a fan of bringing ARE back since I saw the play of the rookies Brown and Sanders in the pre-season. I do have to say the catch he made in the game was first class. His punt return capabilities are non-existent. I know he is a good locker room guy but we need to develop younger players IMHO.

fezziwig
10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I was always a MM fan but last year and this year the feelings have changed. His play looks sloppy, he doesn't seem to do anything with authority and he has become very average. On the upside, I seen Mendenhall jack some player up with a block for quarterback protection.

Oviedo
10-04-2010, 12:22 PM

I tend to agree with everybody. I've been a big Moore supporter but his play so far this year leaves a lot to be desired. I'd almost rather have Vincent take his spot and use Dwyer as the 3rd down back.

I haven't been a fan of bringing ARE back since I saw the play of the rookies Brown and Sanders in the pre-season. I do have to say the catch he made in the game was first class. His punt return capabilities are non-existent. I know he is a good locker room guy but we need to develop younger players IMHO.

I agree with all your points. It's time to assess where Dwyer is and consider having him active for games versus Moore. Moore is giving us nothing this year.

Totally agree with ARE on punt returns. Hopefully they were going for a risk avoidance by having a sure handed punt returner with ben out and not counting on much from the offense. Now that ben is on his way back I hope they take a bit of a risk and get Brown and or Sanders back there.

phillyesq
10-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't want to pile on Moore after a loss, but Bouchette pointed out on the plus site that Moore didn't play after the missed block/assignment, and was replaced by Redman or Mendy on third downs. It will be interesting to see whether he is active vs. Cleveland or replaced by Dwyer.

Again, not trying to pile on, but it is interesting that both Farrior and Moore were pulled for at least a time after their respective miscues. I'm not necessarily advocating that either be cast aside right now, but it appears that they may have a short leash.

SidSmythe
10-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't want to pile on Moore after a loss, but Bouchette pointed out on the plus site that Moore didn't play after the missed block/assignment, and was replaced by Redman or Mendy on third downs. It will be interesting to see whether he is active vs. Cleveland or replaced by Dwyer.

Again, not trying to pile on, but it is interesting that both Farrior and Moore were pulled for at least a time after their respective miscues. I'm not necessarily advocating that either be cast aside right now, but it appears that they may have a short leash.

I remember the same thing happening last year and he's still around. There's gotta be a FA out there that can be an upgrade

phillyesq
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM

I remember the same thing happening last year and he's still around. There's gotta be a FA out there that can be an upgrade

Same thing w/ blocking miscues/blown assignments, or same thing with him getting benched after?

Steel Life
10-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I called for him to be cut in training camp...whatever he had in '08 is gone. The coaches need to expand their use of Redman & get Dwyer some PT on ST. And look at it this way...for those who liked Logan or Worthington - Moore has their spot.

SidSmythe
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I called for him to be cut in training camp...whatever he had in '08 is gone. The coaches need to expand their use of Redman & get Dwyer some PT on ST. And look at it this way...for those who liked Logan or Worthington - Moore has their spot.

Not sure how much of a blocker LOGAN could have been, but he at least can contribute on Special Teams.

grotonsteel
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Not sure why they are not using pony backfield more?

I would like to see Redman more in the game.

SidSmythe
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I would like the Hybrid FB in our backfield.
Good Runner, Blocker and pass catcher.

Maybe Redman can become a John L Williams type of player???

fezziwig
10-29-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm here to eat crow about me complaining about Moore. He showed up this past Sunday against the Dolphins.

proudpittsburgher
10-29-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm here to eat crow about me complaining about Moore. He showed up this past Sunday against the Dolphins.

As I have said in other threads about ARE and such . . . Give him time with Ben back at QB before we judge the real value of players. That being said . . . the missed blocking assignments discussed earlier have little to do with Ben being in the backfield.

papillon
10-29-2010, 08:36 AM

As I have said in other threads about ARE and such . . . Give him time with Ben back at QB before we judge the real value of players. That being said . . . the missed blocking assignments discussed earlier have little to do with Ben being in the backfield.

Not necessarily, if Ben is calling out protections and blitzing linebackers he may be putting Moore in a better position to pick up oncoming blitzers. The quarterback may be able to help a back in some instances, I think.

Pappy

jj28west
10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Count me in as one of the guys being critical of him so I am happy to take it back. Moore is a smart quick thinking guy. I like the blatant hold he had when he missed the blitz pickup or was overpowered. He hung on for life and it was called on Hotel who was out of the game already.

Anyways, the rusher had a clear shot on Ben's blind side and Melwelde hung on to prevent this.

Oviedo
10-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Moore isn't going anywhere this season and he will show value this season with Ben back there. I do hate the fact we don't get a chance to see Dwyer perform but that is on Dwyer and he has to fight and earn that opportunity.

That said this is likely his last season with the Steelers.

ikestops85
10-29-2010, 10:25 AM
This past Sunday reminded me of the back I loved so much in 2008. My question is where the hell has he been?

I've been critical of him also this year. In 2008 he was our best blocking back picking up the blitz. This year he has been bad in more than a couple of games and almost gotten our QBs killed. In 2008 he was money catching the ball and getting a first down. This year he has dropped a couple of passes which would have netted first downs and he hasn't been able to make the first tackler miss and comes up short getting the first down. In 2008 he seemed like a greased pig slithering through the smallest hole and getting positive yardage. This year he seems to be a step slow deciding where to go and hadn't been getting much at all.

All I can say now is

Welcome Back MM

steelblood
10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Moore isn't going anywhere this season and he will show value this season with Ben back there. I do hate the fact we don't get a chance to see Dwyer perform but that is on Dwyer and he has to fight and earn that opportunity.

I agree. However, when Moore comes in for the 3rd series to spell Mendenhall, I can't help but be disappointed that those touches don't go to Redman. Redman isn't a superstar, but he is a battering ram and will help wear down defenses.

Oviedo
10-29-2010, 11:15 AM

I agree. However, when Moore comes in for the 3rd series to spell Mendenhall, I can't help but be disappointed that those touches don't go to Redman. Redman isn't a superstar, but he is a battering ram and will help wear down defenses.

I have to think they believe that Moore's pass catching ability offers more options than Redman's battering ram abilities.

feltdizz
10-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I'll eat crow... this was the Moore I was looking for. Earlier in the year he looked pathetic and slow.

Maybe Ben is the difference or maybe Moore needs more touches to get in rhythm.

fezziwig
10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I'd like to see Swyer get a chance too. Think we would ever blow out a team that guys like Dwyer and Redman could be put into action ?

RuthlessBurgher
10-29-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd like to see Swyer get a chance too. Think we would ever blow out a team that guys like Dwyer and Redman could be put into action ?

http://emmaline1138.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tom_sawyer.jpg :wink:

fezziwig
10-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer is a mean, mean guy .

Chavezz
10-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd rather see Redman in there to give Mendenhall a breather as well. Redman seems to have "similar" ability that Bettis had, he seems to always fall forward after contact. He seems to be able to always get that extra yardage after 1st contact.

I'll tell you what I really want to see, I want the run blocking that we saw the 1st 4 weeks. I know that the Dolphs and the Browns have good run defenses but it's almost like because Ben is back they have taken a step back in the intensity level.

Shawn
10-30-2010, 10:33 AM
There is zero reason for Moore or ARE to be on this squad after this season. Only way ARE stays is if Ward retires.

fezziwig
10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I didn't think it was possible but, ARE has gotten worse at returns than when he was on the team prior to this season. Remember all the east and west running he used to do when he caught the punts ? Now he just waits there to get tackled.

frankthetank1
10-31-2010, 09:42 AM
There is zero reason for Moore or ARE to be on this squad after this season. Only way ARE stays is if Ward retires.

i agree with you on ARE. he has looked pretty bad this season, but the backfield is so thin. if mendy gets hurt this season we are effed in the a. we need a legit #2 rb who if need be can step in for mendy and carry the load. who knows how dwyer will turn out to be. not sure why so many people are down on moore prior to the dolphins game. he never had many touches before the phins game at all. i dont recall moore ever being a great blocker anyways