PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to hear, we win game with Ben.

steeler_george
10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
As close we were of pulling a win today, I don't want to hear how we would of won with Ben. They played without their best player in Reed. So both cancel each other out.

Hate loosing before a Bye... too much time to sulk in the lose.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
A missing safety does not offset a missing franchise top 3 QB. Sorry dude.

rpmpit
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
We win game with Ben.

You can't compare the importance of a safety to a franchise qb. Ya just can't.

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
We would of won with Ben. :P

steelz09
10-03-2010, 04:53 PM

No Doubt :Agree

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
We probably win with Lefty too. Batch just did not have it today. Neither did Reed. We win with a different kicker too.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Ben would had bettered their chances to win. Not sure if they would had won because they loss close games with Ben.

The mistakes and missed FG's probably hurt the team more then anything else.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Ben would had bettered their chances to win. Not sure if they would had won because they loss close games with Ben.
Ben could have exploited their weaknesses better.

chiken
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Your kidding right.. How many Series did The o-line give Charlie enough time in the pocket but his happy feet couldn't find "open" guys.

The defense gave us the ball twice on the other side of the 50 and Twice our Offense couldn't gain anything.

Sorry man - Ben would have at least moved the chains - giving easier kicks to Reed and more Rest to the Defense.

Batch had a Drive - Ben would have drives.

DukieBoy
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM

No Doubt :Agree
:Agree to the 7th power.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Maybe or maybe not. I do know they loss to the Ravens with Ben in the line up.

Leper Friend
10-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes it does. When that safety is Polamalu or Ed Reed it definitely does.It limits alot of stuff the defende wants to do.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Yes it does. When that safety is Polamalu or Ed Reed it definitely does.It limits alot of stuff the defende wants to do.
Sorry, not as good as a franchise QB. Can't be. Why do you think they pay the QB so much more $$? He's got a chance to make a play every snap because he holds the ball. I'd rather have Ben then Troy in that game.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 05:02 PM

They don't lose much to the Ravens with Ben in the line up.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
People better be careful with their expectations. Games will continue to be close and hard fought with Ben in the line up.

chiken
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Tell you what.. Give them Ed and Give us Ben and lets see what happens. oh wait.. we have seen that before...

Leper Friend
10-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Sorry, not as good as a franchise QB. Can't be. Why do you think they pay the QB so much more $$? He's got a chance to make a play every snap because he holds the ball. I'd rather have Ben then Troy in that game.
Ed Reed is one of the special players in the league. He changes schematically what the d is wiiling to even try.The same as if a franchise qb is mising from an offense.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Ed Reed is one of the special players in the league. He changes schematically what the d is wiiling to even try.The same as if a franchise qb is mising from an offense.
Losing Ed Reed is not equal to losing a top 3 QB. You will never convince me otherwise.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM

They split with the Ravens almost every season since Ben came into the league.

rpmpit
10-03-2010, 05:12 PM

They split with the Ravens almost every season since Ben came into the league.

We're only talking about the game today. I think Ben might be worth the 4 points it would have taken to win this game.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM

They split with the Ravens almost every season since Ben came into the league.Ben is 5-0 against the Ravens since 2007.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 05:27 PM
We still cannot assume that Ben being in the line up today would had resulted in a win.

I guess I don't understand how fans reached that conclusions based on the history between these two teams. Based on the history of how the Steelers performed in some games with Ben in the line up.

Whatever makes you guys feel better. As I stated before, careful with the expectations. There will be close games with Ben in the line up. The game in Bmore could be equally as close with Ben. Could result in a win or loss with Ben in the line up.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM
We still cannot assume that Ben being in the line up today would had resulted in a win.

I guess I don't understand how fans reached that conclusions based on the history between these two teams. Based on the history of how the Steelers performed in some games with Ben in the line up.

Whatever makes you guys feel better. As I stated before, careful with the expectations. There will be close games with Ben in the line up. The game in Bmore could be equally as close with Ben. Could result in a win or loss with Ben in the line up.
When you see wide open WR's, the line doing a good job at Pass protection, the Ravens D being vulnerable against the pass and losing at home by only 3 with Charlie Batch at the helm, you got to damn well think we are at least 3 points better then Baltimore.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 05:42 PM

When you see wide open WR's, the line doing a good job at Pass protection, the Ravens D being vulnerable against the pass and losing at home by only 3 with Charlie Batch at the helm, you got to damn well think we are at least 3 points better then Baltimore.

I don't make that assumption. I know it's not as simple as being 3 points better. The game could had played out differently with Ben in the line up for the good or bad. WE don't know how the game would had played out with Ben in the line up.

Whatever makes you happy Scarlet. The Steelers had chances to win this game without Ben. They did not get it done.

feltdizz
10-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Franchise QB play would have won today... but you never know how the game plays out on any given sunday. Ben could have thrown 3 TD's or 2 INT's.

He doesn't kick FG's or play D... It's not like this is the first time we have said "if skippy hits the FG we would have won"

it sucks that it was a division game but most division game losses are like this one.

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Your kidding right.. How many Series did The o-line give Charlie enough time in the pocket but his happy feet couldn't find "open" guys.

s.

nonsense

only ben holds the ball too long

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 05:57 PM
If people haven't learned that there are no guarantees in their years of watching football, they may never learn.

DukieBoy
10-03-2010, 06:06 PM

I don't make that assumption. I know it's not as simple as being 3 points better. The game could had played out differently with Ben in the line up for the good or bad. WE don't know how the game would had played out with Ben in the line up.

Whatever makes you happy Scarlet. The Steelers had chances to win this game without Ben. They did not get it done.

This seems to be true.
This seems to be patronizing.

frankthetank1
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM
we win this game with ben there is no doubt about that. the ben game plan is much more effective than the run run pass dont expose batch too much game plan. plus ben doesnt go down half as easy and is a lot more mobile. would ben of ran into 350 lb flozell adams on the 3rd and 9? hell no!!

steeler_george
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree in most cases, a franchise quarter back is the most important position in the game. However, game changers such as Reed and Polumoulo are just as important as franchise QBs. How many games has Troy won for us, or even Reed won for the Ravens. Especially harder when they don't even have control of the ball they have to get it.

I do think Ben would of had a big effect in the game if he would of played, just as Reed would of. But with both play makers out, they sort of canceled each other out.

Hey I am a not Reed lover, but do have respect for him. If he was in the game, do you think Charlie would of had half the completions? That TD to EL? Think the game would of been that close?

The same could of been said of Ben if he played. But the fact is he didn't and we are still 3-1 on top of the AFCN with a bi-week coming up and over all a healthy team a nasty D and a star in the making in Mendy.

steelz09
10-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Actually I think all of us with half a brain can see that we're 3 points better with Ben in the lineup then Batch. Based on the past several years with Ben as our starting QB and playing Baltimore twice a year, I'm pretty sure we know Ben's capabilities against the Ravens.

DukieBoy
10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I agree in most cases, a franchise quarter back is the most important position in the game. However, game changers such as Reed and Polumoulo are just as important as franchise QBs. How many games has Troy won for us, or even Reed won for the Ravens. Especially harder when they don't even have control of the ball they have to get it.

I do think Ben would of had a big effect in the game if he would of played, just as Reed would of. But with both play makers out, they sort of canceled each other out.

Hey I am a not Reed lover, but do have respect for him. If he was in the game, do you think Charlie would of had half the completions? That TD to EL? Think the game would of been that close?

The same could of been said of Ben if he played. But the fact is he didn't and we are still 3-1 on top of the AFCN with a bi-week coming up and over all a healthy team a nasty D and a star in the making in Mendy.
IF Reed comes back 100% from that injury ... IF.

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
What is Flacco's record against us when Ben doesn't start?

What is his record against us when Ben does start?

We absolutely win that game with Ben.

Good thing this is the internet so you're only reading it and not actually hearing it. :lol:

DukieBoy
10-03-2010, 06:24 PM
What is Flacco's record against us when Ben doesn't start?

What is his record against us when Ben does start?

We absolutely win that game with Ben.

Good thing this is the internet so you're only reading it and not actually hearing it. :lol:
:Beer :Agree :Cheers :Cheers

SteelAbility
10-03-2010, 06:24 PM
The QB is the most important position on the field. There's no comparison between the loss of Ben and the loss of Reed. It's not even close.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Actually I think all of us with half a brain can see that we're 3 points better with Ben in the lineup then Batch. Based on the past several years with Ben as our starting QB and playing Baltimore twice a year, I'm pretty sure we know Ben's capabilities against the Ravens.
Did the Steelers lose to lesser teams then the Ravens with Ben in the line up?

When you answer that question, you will understand why I don't assume that they are 3 points better then any team with Ben in the line up. They could easily lose to the Browns with Ben in 2 weeks. They could win.

There were no guarantees that we would had won this game with Ben in the line up. That's because the game could had played out differently with Ben.

That's just a portion of my brain that I used to reach a logical conclusion.

steelz09
10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Someone should call Colbert and the Rooneys quickly!

Our 2-time Super Bowl Winning Franchise QB is not 3 points better than our 4th string QB. Why don't we cut Ben and save the franchise 100 mil when he is so marginally better than 3rd and 4th stringers.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Our 2-time Super Bowl Winning Franchise QB is not 3 points better than our 4th string QB. Why don't we cut Ben and save the franchise 100 mil when he is so marginally better than 3rd and 4th stringers.

Did the Steelers lose to lesser teams then the Ravens with Ben in the line up?

Steelhere10
10-03-2010, 06:47 PM
If DL and BA call the same game plan it would not have mattered. Those two sucked big balls today.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Did the Steelers lose to lesser teams then the Ravens with Ben in the line up?We are talking about the Ravens here, not other teams. History shows we win these games against the Ravens with Ben. Watching the game today tells me that as well. The matchups we could have exploited with Ben or Lefty were there.

Steelhere10
10-03-2010, 06:55 PM
But I pray that it won't be the same RRP bs when Ben comes back. But to be honest , if we had any kind of qb play there is no way the Raven could stop us with all the injuries in the secondary.

Crash
10-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Batch also took a bad sack on 3rd down before Skippy's miss.

chiken
10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Just look at the game today.. We played At home with our all world safety in the game and we lost to a team that didn't have their all world safety but instead they had their Franchise qb.
to think that the loss of Troy or Ed is equal to the loss of a Franchise QB isn't realistic. This is a QB driven league my friend. We are handicapped w/o our QB.. Today was a shining example of that.

Scarletfire1970
10-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Just look at the game today.. We played At home with our all world safety in the game and we lost to a team that didn't have their all world safety but instead they had their Franchise qb.
to think that the loss of Troy or Ed is equal to the loss of a Franchise QB isn't realistic. This is a QB driven league my friend. We are handicapped w/o our QB.. Today was a shining example of that.
And their "franchise" QB, isn't even in the same league as Ben.

chiken
10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
And their "franchise" QB, isn't even in the same league as Ben.[/quote]

Exactly.

DukieBoy
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
How is Arizona doing without their star QB How's their offense doing? Weren't they in the SB less than 2 yrs ago? Just askin'.

DukieBoy
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
How many of these QB's would not be considered either the best or 2nd best QB in the history of their franchises? How many were 3rd string QB's the year they won the SB?

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I
Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II
Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII
Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV
Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X
Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV
Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI
Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII
Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX
Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX
Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI
Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV
Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV
Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII
Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI
Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII
Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - SB XLIV

feltdizz
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
We know the offense is at it's best with Ben... but to act like we never lose football games when we miss 2 FG's is insane.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Steelers Notebook: Teammates eager for Big Ben's return

Monday, October 04, 2010
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201010/dianasteelers100310_18_500.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Rashard Mendenhall picks up yardage against the Ravens Sunday at Heinz Field.

Mendenhall finished with 79 rushing yards on 25 carries with two touchdowns.
Daniel Sepulveda, backup quarterback Byron Leftwich and kicker Jeff Reed dressed Sunday afternoon for the final, fall weekend with a noticeably vacant locker stall in their midst.

The locker belongs to Ben Roethlisberger.

"We're looking forward to having him back, absolutely," Sepulveda said of the Steelers' quarterback, who sat out the last contest of his four-game NFL suspension.

Today, Roethlisberger may reconvene football conversations with his teammates and coaches, return to the Steelers' South Side facility, rejoin meetings and practice this off week, and resume his on-field play and off-field persona that has attracted detractors since a March incident in Milledgeville, Ga.

"I like the character of this team," receiver and offensive captain Hines Ward said after their Roethlisberger-less record fell to 3-1 with a last-minute, 17-14 loss to Baltimore at Heinz Field. "I like the players that we have. And we get our franchise guy back."

"I'm excited to have Ben back," added linebacker Lawrence Timmons, after a game-high 13 tackles and one of the Steelers' two quarterback hurries. "A Pro Bowl quarterback. Two-time Super Bowl champion. Just get ready for Cleveland."

Gone with the wind
Jeff Reed missed two of his 10 previous field-goal attempts this season. Then he missed two in the third quarter Sunday, both into the windy, open end toward the Heinz Field scoreboard.

Reed, 3 for 7 at Heinz Field this season, went 0 for 2 at home for the first time in his career. He clanged a 49-yard attempt off the right upright on the Steelers' first possession of the second half, after the defense recovered a Ravens fumble at the Baltimore 22. He pushed left a 45-yard try on the second-to-last play of the third quarter. His only previous misses this season were from 55 and 40 yards.

Just one made attempt could have sent this game into overtime, mathematically speaking. But Reed wasn't ready to look at the subjective side of the defeat.

"You can't look back and say, 'If we had Ben, we'd be 4-0,' " Reed said. "Because nobody expected us to be 3-1 [without him]."

McFadden's moment
On Baltimore's second possession of the second quarter, cornerback Bryant McFadden was flagged for a 29-yard interference penalty on a play where he blindly swiped at a pass to the Ravens' Anquan Boldin, but the visitors wound up punting away the ball.

No, it was his final defensive play that wouldn't fade from memory so easily.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, long a nemesis from his Cincinnati Bengals days, gave McFadden a double-move, out and up in sync with a Joe Flacco pump fake on a first-and-10 in the final half-minute. McFadden later swore he didn't bite so much on the pump as he did the multiple moves. Houshmandzadeh streaked behind him to snare the winning, 18-yard touchdown pass with 32 seconds left.

"A tough situation, a tough pass," McFadden said. "I actually didn't jump [the pump]. I kind of opened it up, and that allowed him to get by me.

"It's kind of hard to explain. But playing football and playing in the secondary, things of that nature happen. It's tough on me. Regardless of the situation -- a double-move, a triple-move -- I have to be where I need to be.

"Playing against great teams, you don't want to give them second chances. We had opportunities to win, and we didn't execute. It's something to learn from."

Coincidentally, Houshmandzadeh caught Baltimore's final two passes after snagging as many receptions in his previous three games: "I haven't played much, and I've had some things going through my head. But I got a chance to play today and made the most of it."

Gay's plays
The Steelers celebrated joyously almost exactly two minutes earlier when William Gay came up with pass break-ups on consecutive plays in the end zone. He had but one in the previous three games.

No, he maintained, nobody on the home sidelines figured the game was sewn up.

"After those two plays, there was like, what, two minutes left?" nickelback Gay said. In actuality, there was 2:40 remaining when the Steelers' offense took over at its 3. "Even though we had two good plays, the [Ravens drive] still ... put the offense in a bad situation. [That] left it up to the defense to do it."

Gay reached over top a diving Derrick Mason on the right at the goal line on third-and-goal. He kept Boldin from catching a fade in the end zone's back, left corner on fourth down.

Shades of 2009?
The Steelers' defense failed to keep a grip on the lead against the Ravens. Was it reminiscent of last season, when the team lost five games in which it held fourth-quarter leads and a sixth that was tied?

"No, it's 2010," said Gay, a starting cornerback through most of those trying times in last year and later replaced when the Steelers traded Arizona to bring back McFadden. "We're 3-1 right now. Rest this week and get everybody healthy, and get ready to start on a 12-game run."

Offensive ending
On four consecutive second-half possessions, the Steelers' offense managed two field-goal tries, a clock-burning drive that included two first downs and 10 plays, plus the 93-yard, 13-play drive from their 7 for the go-ahead touchdown midway through the final quarter.

Yet, when the Steelers were backed up to their 3, when they needed just one first down in the final two minutes, the offense couldn't muster one.

"We get a first down, the game's over with," receiver Hines Ward said. The Ravens used their final timeout with 2:35 left after a 2-yard gain on first down to the Steelers' 5. "That's what I kept telling the guys [in the huddle]. We had two false-start penalties [on guard Chris Kemoeatu and tight end Matt Spaeth], that's what hurts the most. As an offensive player, it was in our hands, and we didn't execute the plays."

"We beat ourselves in that situation," quarterback Charlie Batch added. "That's something that you can't have down there. In hindsight, I would like to have those back and not maybe do a hard count. Just get the play [off] and run some time off the clock and not lose time in the process."

Asked if a pass play was required in that situation, using the element of surprise, Batch replied: "They had no timeouts, no. If we were at least able to make a first down, the game is over because they would never get back on the field."

Most Valuable Punter
Sepulveda rocketed his final punts 53 and 47 yards -- the last one utilizing fewer steps and coming under pressure because he was crammed into the back of the Steelers' end zone. Both resulted in fair catches, although a holding penalty gave Baltimore 10 extra yards on that last one.

Still, he wasn't happy with his first-half work: a 52-yarder returned 3 yards, a 38-yarder returned 6 and a 57-yarder returned a game-high 10 yards.

Imagine that: a 49.4-yard average and 45.6-net average day that, to him, was half bad.

"I didn't like my first half," said Sepulveda, who entered Sunday with a 47.4 average and 38.6 net. "I'm just glad to come back and give our guys a chance out there. It's hard to say you had your best game of the year and we didn't win."

Deep thoughts
After two 40-something touchdown receptions the week before at Tampa, Batch and receiver Mike Wallace tried again Sunday in the third quarter to work their long-ball magic. Both times, Baltimore's Lardarious Webb knocked away the ball, the second one in the end zone.

"My whole week was focusing on No. 17, making sure No. 17 didn't beat me deep," Webb said of Wallace. "We didn't have a game on me. The defensive rush rushed Batch and made him underthrow it, overthrow it."

"We felt we had a good matchup there," Batch added. "When you are in those situations, you just try to get them to play honest by letting them know that we're going to take our shots deep. Didn't connect on them."

Quick hits
The sum total of the injury report: Brett Keisel left and later returned after left leg cramps, but wasn't in the game on the final defensive series.

The Steelers in one afternoon equaled their season output to date in penalties and backward yardage: 11 penalties for 88 yards, including four infractions that gave Baltimore first downs, were the same total (11) and 8 more yards than their three-game total entering Sunday. "We didn't play smart enough. The penalties hurt us, no question, in the football game," coach Mike Tomlin said.

Added safety Ryan Clark, "Penalties are what you do to yourself. Those are things that we can control that they don't force us into -- kind of unforced errors."

Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco: "There's not too many better ways to win a game when you're coming to Pittsburgh. I mean, you blow somebody out, and that's fun and all. But when the game is that close through it all, and you go and win it on the last drive? Once you win it, there's no other better way to win a game. It was awesome."

Timmons' 13 tackles wasn't a career high or even season high to date: He had 15 total Week 2 at Tennessee.

Jerry Micco contributed to this report. Chuck Finder: [email:dak1fk7z]cfinder@post-gazette.com[/email:dak1fk7z].

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10277/1092470-66.stm#ixzz11QEtMzwR

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Let's see, what affect would a FS have had for Baltimore?

Steelers were already held to 210 net yards, only two receptions of 20 or more yards...sounds like the secondary did a fine job without Reed.

How about our QB?

12 for 21 for 141 yards against a line that was stacked to stop the run. Add to that countless missed throws and you get QB play that was seriously lacking. I think that there was a ton of room for improvement at the QB position.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
How about our QB?

12 for 21 for 141 yards against a line that was stacked to stop the run. Add to that countless missed throws and you get QB play that was seriously lacking. I think that there was a ton of room for improvement at the QB position.

I agree, we win this game with Ben.

oh, sorry... :oops: