PDA

View Full Version : Want to know why we lost this game?

drprwnap
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
TWO TURNOVERS, ZERO POINTS. Thanks, BA. Great playcalling :roll:

SteelTorch
10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
TWO TURNOVERS, ZERO POINTS. Thanks, BA. Great playcalling :roll:
But they were playing conservatively!!! OMGF u know nuthin about football!!11!

Crash
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Arians gave the Yinzers what they wanted: Run the ball!

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 04:29 PM
There's running the ball and there's running the ball effectively. How and why we continued to try and run between the tackles is beyond me. FYI.... the Gayvens were ranked 22nd against the run and ranked #1 against the pass before this game. Yes, we definitely should of ran against this team.... but how about some good play calling.

drprwnap
10-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Arians gave the Yinzers what they wanted: Run the ball!

I have no problem with running the football, but..... ya gotta mix it up. Play action pass on 1st down, maybe a quick out once in awhile, use Miller more. I was telling my wife the plays before they were run. If a dummy like me knows it, don't you think the opposing team knows as well???? DUH!

Jigawatts
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Bryant McFadden getting juked out of his pants didn't help either.

chiken
10-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Penalties at inopportune times. How many 1st downs did we give them on penalties. How many crucial false starts. And on the end drive we gave a team w/ no timeouts 10 more yards...

That is losing football.

focosteeler
10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Penalties at inopportune times. How many 1st downs did we give them on penalties. How many crucial false starts. And on the end drive we gave a team w/ no timeouts 10 more yards...

That is losing football.

this is why right here....the penalties on the offense trying to get off the goal line and then the special teams penalty at the end

frankthetank1
10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
there are many reasons why we lost this game but why not just blame BA? its the trendy and hip thing to do. you call the offense conservative when your o-line cant pick up a blitz and you have your 4th string qb in the game. play calling is to blame it certainly cant be the execution that's the problem. 2 false starts on your own three yard line when you need a first down, that's all on BA right? keyron fox's penalty on the punt was BA's fault as well. the lack of pressure on flacco at the end of the game was all on BA. even jeff reed's misses were BA's fault. :roll:

steeler_george
10-03-2010, 05:59 PM

That is losing football.

this is why right here....the penalties on the offense trying to get off the goal line and then the special teams penalty at the end
:Agree

A game of inches... you just can't give them the mental aspect of the game where we did with penalties. Especially on our last drive. How many false starts or offsides did we have on that series. It wasn't the play calling.

SteelTorch
10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
There's running the ball and there's running the ball effectively. How and why we continued to try and run between the tackles is beyond me. FYI.... the Gayvens were ranked 22nd against the run and ranked #1 against the pass before this game. Yes, we definitely should of ran against this team.... but how about some good play calling.
That's what I've been saying all along. :roll: But all I continue to hear from fans and media is RUN MORE! RUN MORE! RUN MORE!

Today was a perfect example - we ran the ball a lot, but not very effectively. That is one reason (among many) that we lost today.

chiken
10-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Bad qb play ='s no running against a tough Defense. The running game was not the problem today.

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
This was an entire team loss... plenty of blame to go around... and yes, the running game too... anyone who thinks that should look at the 84 yards yielded by our running game against the 22nd rated D against the run. Scheme? execution?... who the fukc knows.... but the run, run, pass on 3rd and long is pretty predictable.

Steelhere10
10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
This was an entire team loss... plenty of blame to go around... and yes, the running game too... anyone who thinks that should look at the 84 yards yielded by our running game against the 22nd rated D against the run. Scheme? execution?... who the fukc knows.... but the run, run, pass on 3rd and long is pretty predictable. BA at his best.

Steelgal
10-03-2010, 07:28 PM
This was an entire team loss... plenty of blame to go around... and yes, the running game too... anyone who thinks that should look at the 84 yards yielded by our running game against the 22nd rated D against the run. Scheme? execution?... who the fukc knows.... but the run, run, pass on 3rd and long is pretty predictable.

You'd have loved the chat room today...... Let's just say there was a pretty 'healthy' debate between Arians playcalling and lack of execution from the oline. Well, exactly how can you block 8 rushers when we only have 5-6 men to do it??? Arians refuses to game plan based on the current strengths/weaknesses of our team. He's predictable and when he mixes it up is when our offense sustains drives, for the most part.

Waiting on reply from Burgh now :wink:

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM

You'd have loved the chat room today...... Let's just say there was a pretty 'healthy' debate between Arians playcalling and lack of execution from the oline. Well, exactly how can you block 8 rushers when we only have 5-6 men to do it??? Arians refuses to game plan based on the current strengths/weaknesses of our team. He's predictable and when he mixes it up is when our offense sustains drives, for the most part.

Sandwiched between two of my buddies on a bar stool watching the game today (both are die hard *Pats fans)... hard to defend your team when even they were calling the plays before we executed them... (run, run, pass). No imagination to vary it a tad, and yes when they stack 8 in the box against your ground game, nothing successful will come out of it.

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Now you know why I stopped going into them part way through last season.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 07:53 PM

The Ravens did not rush 8 players. They did a good job disguising who and where they were going to blitz. They took good angles and won the one on one match ups when they blitzed to disrupt Batch.

I am so tired of hearing about predictability. Heard about it under Cowher, hearing about it now, will hear about it in the future. The offense is/was successful when the players execute. Same can be said for the defense.

They passed on 1st down 8 times. They passed on 2nd down 7 times. When they ran on first and second down, they attempted to put Batch in good situations. I believe they were also attempting to set up the pass plays on 1st and 2nd down by running on some 1st and 2nd down plays. I believe there were a couple of times Batch audibled to the run based on the front he saw from the Ravens.

Short of execution and the win, fans won't be happy.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Oh really, so I am the reason? I thought the reason you stopped going there was because of the constant complaining from fans?

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Oh really, so I am the reason? I thought the reason you stopped going there was because of the constant complaining from fans?

I wasn't referring to you.

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
[quote=AngryAsian]This was an entire team loss... plenty of blame to go around... and yes, the running game too... anyone who thinks that should look at the 84 yards yielded by our running game against the 22nd rated D against the run. Scheme? execution?... who the fukc knows.... but the run, run, pass on 3rd and long is pretty predictable.

I wasn't referring to you.[/quote:22372073]

I didn't think so. I am not usually one to complain about issues on the team. I am usually not harsh with my criticisms.

StarSpangledSteeler
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Thank you, Asian! We have two mammoth tackles, an excellent pulling center, and the best blocking WR in the game, and yet we insist on plowing straight ahead into the teeth of the middle defense behind two mediocre guards and no true fullback.. Run to the edge, Arians, you jack hole. Run to our strength.

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Thank you, Asian! We have two mammoth tackles, an excellent pulling center, and the best blocking WR in the game, and yet we insist on plowing straight ahead into the teeth of the middle defense behind two mediocre guards and no true fullback.. Run to the edge, Arians, you jack hole. Run to our strength.

There was a reason why there was nothing really deep all day... there secondary ran stride for stride with our deep threat MW... maybe, just maybe we could of used this to clear out CBs/Safeties on whatever side we decide to pull our O-line to spring Mendy on a corner. NAH... that's too logical... you'd have to make an "in-game adjustment" to do that. :lol:

Flasteel
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM

There was a reason why there was nothing really deep all day... there secondary ran stride for stride with our deep threat MW... maybe, just maybe we could of used this to clear out CBs/Safeties on whatever side we decide to pull our O-line to spring Mendy on a corner. NAH... that's too logical... you'd have to make an "in-game adjustment" to do that. :lol:

We challenged them deep. Sometimes it was great coverage, but there were at least 4 occasions where batch simply missed his guy downfield (2 to Miller 1 underthrown to Wallace, and at least one more which is escaping my memory).

I was disappointed in the defensive effort and the play of Charlie Batch the most. I didn't think Arians called a bad game...I thought Batch screwed the pooch today. We needed to run to set up the play-action and it was there.

Northern_Blitz
10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
This felt a little like the Philly game a couple years ago. Seemed like we had guys on short slants open alot but we kept trying to hit the home run. I don't know if that's on Charlie, or on BA.

Too bad we couldn't put this one away. We could really have put the Rats in a hole at 2-2 with 2 division losses. But, I'll take 3-1 with the 3rd and 4th QBs.

Thank God Ben will be back next game.

birtikidis
10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
there are many reasons why we lost this game but why not just blame BA? its the trendy and hip thing to do. you call the offense conservative when your o-line cant pick up a blitz and you have your 4th string qb in the game. play calling is to blame it certainly cant be the execution that's the problem. 2 false starts on your own three yard line when you need a first down, that's all on BA right? keyron fox's penalty on the punt was BA's fault as well. the lack of pressure on flacco at the end of the game was all on BA. even jeff reed's misses were BA's fault. :roll:
what annoys me, is when it's 3 and 4 and your looking at a 45 yard field goal in the open end of the stadium and BA calls a play that sends the receiver into the endzone. sorry. that's stupid. and there were several examples of this. how about not having a fullback when you're on your own 3 and you run the ball up the middle. did you expect to get more than 1 yard? Hell we would have been better off taking the safety.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2010, 10:22 PM
we lost this game because Ben holds onto the ball too long.

oh wait...

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2010, 10:52 PM
what annoys me, is when it's 3 and 4 and your looking at a 45 yard field goal in the open end of the stadium and BA calls a play that sends the receiver into the endzone. sorry. that's stupid. and there were several examples of this. how about not having a fullback when you're on your own 3 and you run the ball up the middle. did you expect to get more than 1 yard? Hell we would have been better off taking the safety.

wasn't TE johnson lined up in the FB spot?

fordfixer
10-04-2010, 01:02 AM

What is that??

birtikidis
10-04-2010, 02:05 AM

wasn't TE johnson lined up in the FB spot?
a few times johnson was back there. I don't want a TE playing fullback when we are on our 3 trying to get a first down. on the third down, mendenhall was back there himself. heath was the lead blocker but he was lined up at the end of the line. it was a long developing play which was retarded.

birtikidis
10-04-2010, 02:08 AM
i kept telling my dad that this game reminded me of the Cincintucky game where we lost in the last few seconds. bummed me out.

Slapstick
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
So, the offense drives 95 yards for the go ahead TD, hands the D the lead and forces the Ravens to use all of their time outs before they take possession on offense...

AND IT'S STILL ARIANS' FAULT?!?!?

steelnavy
10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
So, the offense drives 95 yards for the go ahead TD, hands the D the lead and forces the Ravens to use all of their time outs before they take possession on offense...

''If we make one first down, the game's over,'' Charlie Batch said.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

of course it's Arians fault. Where have you been? 2 false starts inside the 5 yard line, 2 missed FG's and a holding penalty on the punt... plus our DB's gave the sideline up twice to a team with no timeouts and blitzed Troy all game when he is the best DB we have at reading Flacco for picks...

of course it was Arians fault. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 09:22 AM

True... and if we didn't have 2 false starts AT HOME, one after a freaking timeout... maybe we make the first down?

But sure.. it's all Arians fault.

steelnavy
10-04-2010, 10:20 AM

True... and if we didn't have 2 false starts AT HOME, one after a freaking timeout... maybe we make the first down?

In the military, if an individual fails to perform (or secrews up), then his chain of command is held accountable. People get fired every day because someone under them screwed the pooch. False starts occur from undisciplined play. The coach is responsible for maintaining discipline. Why do you never give BA just a little blame for false starts (or anything, for that matter)? Good coaching reduces/eliminates mental errors.

There is plenty of blame to go around, and heck, how about giving the Ravens credit for having one hell of a defense? But constantly pounding the ball up the middle against that monster line seems less than creative.

BURGH86STEEL
10-04-2010, 10:45 AM

In the military, if an individual fails to perform (or secrews up), then his chain of command is held accountable. People get fired every day because someone under them screwed the pooch. False starts occur from undisciplined play. The coach is responsible for maintaining discipline. Why do you never give BA just a little blame for false starts (or anything, for that matter)? Good coaching reduces/eliminates mental errors.

There is plenty of blame to go around, and heck, how about giving the Ravens credit for having one hell of a defense? But constantly pounding the ball up the middle against that monster line seems less than creative.

If you want to blame anyone for the false starts, I guess you should blame Tomlin. Even better, how about we hold the players accountable for the mistakes in execution we witness? I'm sure the coaches explain to the players the importance of limiting mistakes. I'm sure the players understand. Coaches don't step onto the field. Can't blame the coaches for most of the mistakes the players make on the field.

They did not constantly pound the ball up the middle against the Ravens.

papillon
10-04-2010, 10:47 AM

See in red above...

For the same reason that the people that don't like Arians blame him for everything. In a game where points were hard to come by and drives of any length were rare the Steeler offense hands the defense a 4 point lead with a minute and change to go in the game. Is it too much to expect the defense to be able to defend 40 yards of grass for 1 minute and change? The things we love about Lebeau's defense bit them in the butt yesterday. Blitzing Troy rather than having him in coverage appears to have been a mistake. Mcfadden got torched and looked like a rookie on the TD play. For a defense that gives a cushion routinely, this seems to be the perfect time to give the cushion and make the tackle in the field of play and force the Ravens to run more plays.

Of course, the offense could have wrapped it up with a first down, but they didn't and then the defense gives up 40 yards as if the Ravens offense was being led by Joe Montana and not Joe Flacco.

BA may not appear to be the most inventive OC, but he has been working with quarterbacks that are incapable of doing what Joe Flacco did yesterday. So, he tailors the offense to help the quarterbacks be successful. We'll see what the offense looks like now that Ben will be back under center. I suspect you'll see something a little different.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
That's what I've been saying all along. :roll: But all I continue to hear from fans and media is RUN MORE! RUN MORE! RUN MORE!

Today was a perfect example - we ran the ball a lot, but not very effectively. That is one reason (among many) that we lost today.

It is hard to run the ball effectively when the D has no reason to fear he pass. Beginning on week 6 we give Ds reason to fear the pass.

Northern_Blitz
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM

I think that play is on Charlie. The WR in the slot on the top of the screen (ARE?) was wide open on the slat at the sticks. If we make that throw, we definately have the first, and he maybe picks up another 5 or 10 on top of that.

But, Batch elects to try for the home run and it falls to the turf.

Northern_Blitz
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM

And ST. Felt like we started inside the 10 almost every time we got the ball.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey guys, 14 days from now...We get to see who is really to blame if there is any blame to go around. I think 3-1 with a share of the lead puts the finger pointng on hold for now.

Over the first four games....I like what I saw out of our defense and the OL. More highlights than lowlights so that is a plus. Like the depth on defense, along the OL, and what I've seen at RB. I would like to see more of the young WRs when BB comes back and what this WR group actually has. I'm hoping Sanders or Brown will make a push for #3. One thing that I wasn't happy with was nothing was answered about Dixon. Dixon's shot was cut short by injury but even with his body of work for 2010....Nothing was answered. Being a FA next year just complicates things. I guess the silver lining would be he did nothing to make himself a highly touted FA.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 11:37 AM

This isn't the military. If anyone deserves blame for false starts on the OL it's the OL coach.

Stop trying to make everything about Arians. There aren't too many OC's who will call a pass play inside there own 5 when the other team is out of TO's, you have Batch in at QB and your D is top 5.

birtikidis
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM

of course it's Arians fault. Where have you been? 2 false starts inside the 5 yard line, 2 missed FG's and a holding penalty on the punt... plus our DB's gave the sideline up twice to a team with no timeouts and blitzed Troy all game when he is the best DB we have at reading Flacco for picks...

those false starts were maybe 1 yard penalties. how about BA not putting a true FB in front of Mendy when we're on the 3 yard line and need a first down? or how about third and four and he calls a pass to the end zone, leading to a 45 yard field goal attempt in the open end of the stadium.
speaking of penalties, the penalty on Spaeth... in the super bowl a holding penalty led to 2 points since the ball was in the endzone at the time of the penalty... why didn't that get counted as a safety?

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, 14 days from now...We get to see who is really to blame if there is any blame to go around. I think 3-1 with a share of the lead puts the finger pointng on hold for now.

Over the first four games....I like what I saw out of our defense and the OL. More highlights than lowlights so that is a plus. Like the depth on defense, along the OL, and what I've seen at RB. I would like to see more of the young WRs when BB comes back and what this WR group actually has. I'm hoping Sanders or Brown will make a push for #3. One thing that I wasn't happy with was nothing was answered about Dixon. Dixon's shot was cut short by injury but even with his body of work for 2010....Nothing was answered. Being a FA next year just complicates things. I guess the silver lining would be he did nothing to make himself a highly touted FA.

We need to blame someone for these first 4 games... we won the first 3 so much of the finger pointed was on hold for the most part but I think fans have been itching to blame someone for something... be it OL, QB, D or ST... but we all know who the real culprit is... :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM

I think that play is on Charlie. The WR in the slot on the top of the screen (ARE?) was wide open on the slat at the sticks. If we make that throw, we definately have the first, and he maybe picks up another 5 or 10 on top of that.

But, Batch elects to try for the home run and it falls to the turf.

I agree.

On the other play that Batch took a sack, he did not have the time necessary to make the play. There was an open WR that ran a quick slant. The Ravens did a good job breaking down the protection.

Down near the goal line, the penalties(more execution) killed their chances.

When we start to rewatch and analyze plays, we will see that most times the lack of execution was the reason plays failed. We can't forget the other guys get paid.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM

those false starts were maybe 1 yard penalties. how about BA not putting a true FB in front of Mendy when we're on the 3 yard line and need a first down? or how about third and four and he calls a pass to the end zone, leading to a 45 yard field goal attempt in the open end of the stadium.
speaking of penalties, the penalty on Spaeth... in the super bowl a holding penalty led to 2 points since the ball was in the endzone at the time of the penalty... why didn't that get counted as a safety?

who is our true FB? No reason to get mad about a philosophy we have abandoned. It's like getting mad we don't play bump and run or switch to the 4-3.

I'm not sure if BA told Batch to throw to Wallace or else on the 3rd and 4. If he did it was a bad call. These are things we argue about every week but the QB is the one who throws the pass or reads the D and makes an audible.

The false start by Spaeth is a dead ball penalty so it's not a safety. Once the ball is snapped and a penalty is committed in the endzone it's a safety. I think...

ikestops85
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I really can't blame Arians for this loss. He called some good plays and Batch just missed some wide open receivers. There were also a couple of times where Wallace ran past flat-footed Raven defenders but Batch didn't see him.

Overall I think the offense did a pretty good job ... except for Charlie. The line did well blocking a fired up Ravens team. I don't want to hear how they are ranked 20 something against the run. When the Ravens and the Steelers play each other NEITHER team has a good running game. That's just a fact much like Cleveland always gives Cincy a tough game.

These teams go to war and it usually is decided by a few big plays. I was more disappointed in LeBeau's defense on the last drive than I was with Arian's offense. Instead of funnelling everything through the middle with Troy roaming that area we blitzed Troy and gave up the sidelines. I'm not sure why.

Overall we played the type of game we almost always play against the Ravens. It was physical without a lot of offense. For some reason I'm not as torn up as I usually am after a loss. I think that is because I have seen how this team can play and I don't want them shooting their wad this early in the season. I'd love to see us go 3-1 in the next 4 games and then start building for the playoffs.

Kudos to Gay whom I thought played an outstanding game.

BURGH86STEEL
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM

who is our true FB? No reason to get mad about a philosophy we have abandoned. It's like getting mad we don't play bump and run or switch to the 4-3.

I'm not sure if BA told Batch to throw to Wallace or else on the 3rd and 4. If he did it was a bad call. These are things we argue about every week but the QB is the one who throws the pass or reads the D and makes an audible.

The false start by Spaeth is a dead ball penalty so it's not a safety. Once the ball is snapped and a penalty is committed in the endzone it's a safety. I think...

Good points. Philosophy and play calling are subjective and up to each individual to agree or disagree. Does not mean our coaches are bad and don't know what they are doing.

The coaches gave Batch options. A couple of times, those options were wide open. It is up to the QB and defense where the ball goes.

You are correct about the penalty.

birtikidis
10-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I'm talking about the holding penalty that was assessed after the return... ended up giving the ball to the rats on the 40. and it was a hold BEFORE the punt.
and Redman is more of a FB then Johnson is.
well, if BA didn't want Batch to throw to Wallace, he should have put another WR on a route.

NJ-STEELER
10-04-2010, 11:49 PM
it must have not been in the end zone on the hold.

as far as FB... i think johnson is a better blocker then redman at this point so i'd rather have him there if he's lead blcoking

Mister Pittsburgh
10-05-2010, 06:57 AM
We lost this one on both sides of the ball. Run, run, run into their strength to simply 'BURN CLOCK'. Then, punt them the ball and give them 10 yard cushions on the outside with our CB's to allow them to play pitch and catch and step out of bounds to stop the clock when they have no timeouts. Should of come up in bump and funnelled the WR inside so when they got tackled the clock ran. This would of forced them to go into major hurry up and leave it open for more mistakes.

I see that neither our OC or DC learned much from past failures.

steelblood
10-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Here is one that few want to hear...

Mike Wallace. Dude got open, but he couldn't hold onto one perfect pass and on another didn't even attempt to high point the ball (just waited for it to come down to his chest. First, he needs to learn to catch with his hands (too many body catches). Second, a deep threat must be able to high point the ball to win the 50/50s and draw interference. Wallace rarely jumps for the ball. He likes to wait for the ball to come to him. I coach 8 and 9 year olds who are more competitive while the ball is in the air.

IF he learns to high point the ball, he will become a serious weapon.

feltdizz
10-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Here is one that few want to hear...

Mike Wallace. Dude got open, but he couldn't hold onto one perfect pass and on another didn't even attempt to high point the ball (just waited for it to come down to his chest. First, he needs to learn to catch with his hands (too many body catches). Second, a deep threat must be able to high point the ball to win the 50/50s and draw interference. Wallace rarely jumps for the ball. He likes to wait for the ball to come to him. I coach 8 and 9 year olds who are more competitive while the ball is in the air.

IF he learns to high point the ball, he will become a serious weapon.

:Agree with this statement. I had a debate about under throwing/miss-timing Wallace, he isn't nearly as aggressive as he could be. He tends to catch deep passes with his shoulder and it's OK when he is open but when he is covered or the ball is late he needs to go up and get it.

I rarely see Wallace raise his hands above his shoulders to catch passes at their highest point. He would have had a TD last game if he did this. He is young though and hopefully this will improve. We should have at least 2 pass interferences a game with his speed.

Slapstick
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
High pointing the ball is one area where Limas Sweed actually gave me some hope at one time...

Holding on to the ball wasn't a problem for him at Texas and going for the ball at it's highest point was a specialty of his...

It's too bad that, to date, he hasn't been able to put his pro game together...the Steelers haven't given up on him yet, so I will choose to maintain a slim hope for him...

fordfixer
10-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Want to know why we lost this game?

Because the Ravens scored more points than the Steelers did.

AngryAsian
10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

You're like Yoda with a carburetor. :lol:

fordfixer
10-05-2010, 10:51 PM

You're like Yoda with a carburetor. :lol:

I'm fuel injected :moon :lol: :lol:

chiken
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
on the wallace thing. I must have missed something in that last game, was he targetted with the long ball more than twice.. once he caught the ball but the Defender made a great play and pulled the ball out of his arms.

the only other one I remembered is when he had the guy beat by a day and practically had to slow to almost a walk in order to wait on the ball.. Are you suggesting he turn back and run toward the ball and jump?

I cant recall a single throw that Charlie or Dixon made that was high enough and on time where he simply had to jump.. he is always waiting for it and the ball barely gets there but the defender always gets there.

A little help :Beer

ikestops85
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
on the wallace thing. I must have missed something in that last game, was he targetted with the long ball more than twice.. once he caught the ball but the Defender made a great play and pulled the ball out of his arms.

the only other one I remembered is when he had the guy beat by a day and practically had to slow to almost a walk in order to wait on the ball.. Are you suggesting he turn back and run toward the ball and jump?

I cant recall a single throw that Charlie or Dixon made that was high enough and on time where he simply had to jump.. he is always waiting for it and the ball barely gets there but the defender always gets there.

I'm with you on that Chiken. I thought I might have missed something but since you mentioned it I'll throw in my :2c that I don't recall him having a jump ball to fight for. I think Wallace has excellent hands and is very good catching the ball. No, he doesn't attack it like a Fitz does but how many guys do?

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm with you on that Chiken. I thought I might have missed something but since you mentioned it I'll throw in my :2c that I don't recall him having a jump ball to fight for. I think Wallace has excellent hands and is very good catching the ball. No, he doesn't attack it like a Fitz does but how many guys do?

Wallace had 2 catches last game I believe.. if he attacked the ball in the endzone at it's highest point it would have been 3 catches.

I don't think anyone said Wallace had bad hands... but I think Wallace makes it easier for the defender to play the ball because he isn't attacking it on balls that are underthrown. Even when he does jump he tends to jump and use his shoulder instead of getting his hands out or up to make it harder for the DB to defend. Most DB's are struggling just to keep up with Wallace.

IMO.. a guy like Wallace should draw way more INT penalties than he has so far due to his speed. I don't think anyone is knocking Wallace... I think adding this to his game will help us in the long run.

chiken
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Wallace had 2 catches last game I believe.. if he attacked the ball in the endzone at it's highest point it would have been 3 catches.

I don't think anyone said Wallace had bad hands... but I think Wallace makes it easier for the defender to play the ball because he isn't attacking it on balls that are underthrown. Even when he does jump he tends to jump and use his shoulder instead of getting his hands out or up to make it harder for the DB to defend. Most DB's are struggling just to keep up with Wallace.

IMO.. a guy like Wallace should draw way more INT penalties than he has so far due to his speed. I don't think anyone is knocking Wallace... I think adding this to his game will help us in the long run.

My friend I think you are seriously underestimating the need for a strong armed QB.. the deep passes are not underthrown on purpose, they are dying in the air by the time they get to him.. There is no reason to jump because the pass is about to hit the Defender in the back. In the Tampa Game the first pass fell down behind the Defender, Wallace had to step to the side to catch it - the second landed in the Defenders hands - he just bobbled it and Wallace was able to snag it.. In the Titans game He caught the only deep pass thrown but again had to wait on it. He did botch the one throw in the Ravens game but the defender had no business being in the picture he was beat so bad - the ball was severly underthrown. At least Twice (from what we saw on the tube) Wallace was open coming out of a break deep but Charlie didnt even give it a shot - My guess is he was already out of his range and was still running.

Wallace is Cartoon fast - he catches the deep ball with his body because the ball is underthrown. If he reaches back for it the "trailing "Defender knows when to look back or up.. so he waits - the advantage is his because he is out front with a clear view of the ball... I am sure if the ball was laid out in front of him we would see him use his hands.

Wallace needs Ben (or Lefty)

NJ-STEELER
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM
i thought he made a hell of an effort to even get the ball on the play where webb wound up knocking the ball out.

if memory sserves, it was not a good throw and had to adjustto the throw while looking back for the ball. at first glance, i didn't think he would even get close to it

feltdizz
10-06-2010, 01:52 PM

My friend I think you are seriously underestimating the need for a strong armed QB.. the deep passes are not underthrown on purpose, they are dying in the air by the time they get to him.. There is no reason to jump because the pass is about to hit the Defender in the back. In the Tampa Game the first pass fell down behind the Defender, Wallace had to step to the side to catch it - the second landed in the Defenders hands - he just bobbled it and Wallace was able to snag it.. In the Titans game He caught the only deep pass thrown but again had to wait on it. He did botch the one throw in the Ravens game but the defender had no business being in the picture he was beat so bad - the ball was severly underthrown. At least Twice (from what we saw on the tube) Wallace was open coming out of a break deep but Charlie didnt even give it a shot - My guess is he was already out of his range and was still running.

Wallace is Cartoon fast - he catches the deep ball with his body because the ball is underthrown. If he reaches back for it the "trailing "Defender knows when to look back or up.. so he waits - the advantage is his because he is out front with a clear view of the ball... I am sure if the ball was laid out in front of him we would see him use his hands.

Wallace needs Ben (or Lefty)

I know Charlie doesn't have the strongest arm... but even the arms of Lefty and Ben have underthrown/miss-timed their deep balls with Wallace.

It will happen again and I would like to see Wallace high point a few passes. Passes he ha to wait on aren't line drives.. he can still high point those.

IMO a guy with his speed has to draw pass interference penalties and out jump smaller defenders whose only hope of defending the pass is getting to it when it comes into his body.

The DB did make a great play..

JTP53609
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
WE lost the game because not because we were missing big ben, or becasue jeff reed missed 2 fg's, or because our defense looked like swiss cheese in the last minute.....we lost the game because.....
we played the ravens at home and wore our traditional unis instead of the throwbacks we have been wearing against them the past 3 years at home....that is why we lost.