PDA

View Full Version : Has Jeff Reed played his last season here?

SteelTorch
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
He is 8/12 for the year. 66%. I can't blame him squarely for today's loss, but he definitely didn't help.

drprwnap
10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
He is 8/12 for the year. 66%. I can't blame him squarely for today's loss, but he definitely didn't help.

How can you not blame him??? Even if he hits ONE FG, we are tied and going into OT.
I can only HOPE this is his last year here.

TD386Steel
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM

I can :? I think the issues with his contract has effected his kicking and hurt the team and I'm pissed off about it.

SteelTorch
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM

How can you not blame him??? Even if he hits ONE FG, we are tied and going into OT.
I can only HOPE this is his last year here.
The only reason I'm not blaming him squarely is because we had a chance to beat them, even with his missed attempts. All we had to do was get one first down, or at least pin them deep in their own zone in those final two minutes. But no, we committed three penalties on one series and let them start on their own 39 yard line. Next, our D's coverage lapses, and Flacco drives down the field in less than 40 seconds.

steelz09
10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I would say there is a 25% chance he returns next year?

Is that too optimistic?

kiwi_sarah
10-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Is that too optimistic?

I'm not even 25% sure I want him back.

AngryAsian
10-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Two turnovers within the Gayvens' 35 yard line and two missed field goals... yes, he gets about more than half the blame for this loss.

Discipline of Steel
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Read has 2 stinkers out of 4 games. Not a good average for a kicker.

focosteeler
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Two turnovers within the Gayvens' 35 yard line and two missed field goals... yes, he gets about more than half the blame for this loss.
:Agree

feltdizz
10-03-2010, 05:34 PM
What about the kick off to the 20 after we went up 14 to 10?

frankthetank1
10-03-2010, 05:39 PM
eff reed he is done imo. we could of easily lost week one because of his missed fg. maybe less booze and more practice would help

chiken
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Did anyone notice that 2 hand touch he gave the runner on that long run back (that was called back for holding)

feltdizz
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
eff reed he is done imo. we could of easily lost week one because of his missed fg. maybe less booze and more practice would help

or more booze and less practice. I think kicking the ball in the end zone has effd up his accuracy.

He had 3 bad kicks today.

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 05:59 PM
LMAO! 45+ yard kicks into that wind are not gimmes. How about the offense's inability to, at the very least, give him shorter tries? Or *gasp* even score themselves?

LMAO!

This was a total team loss from coaching on down.

frankthetank1
10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
LMAO! 45+ yard kicks into that wind are not gimmes. How about the offense's inability to, at the very least, give him shorter tries? Or *gasp* even score themselves?

LMAO!

the first missed fg was a bad call, why kick that a 45 yd field goal into the open end of the field? the second miss as 38 yards? that has to be made, also the short kick offs are killers. all in all reed is having a sub par season and probably his worst as a steeler. no way he should be making top 5 money for kickers

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM

LMAO!

the first missed fg was a bad call, why kick that a 45 yd field goal into the open end of the field? the second miss as 38 yards? that has to be made, also the short kick offs are killers. all in all reed is having a sub par season and probably his worst as a steeler. no way he should be making top 5 money for kickers

First one was 49. Second one was 45. Both were into the open EZ.

isonator07
10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Reed's first miss almost went in. If we don't give up a sack on 3rd down I think he makes the shorter kick.

If we pick up 1 first down on the last drive we win. We gotta be able to get a first down in that spot.

Ghost
10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Tough kicks for Reed. The D has to find a way to keep them out of the endzone at the end. They just do.

Leper Friend
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM

LMAO!

How about *gasp* a kicker not going 0 for 2 in clutch kicks in a division game ? That's not asking much.

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM

LMAO!

How about *gasp* a kicker not going 0 for 2 in clutch kicks in a division game ? That's not asking much.

You're right. Those kicks were gimmes.

:roll:

SidSmythe
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM
REED's an idiot.

Leper Friend
10-03-2010, 09:35 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1m4brmdz]LMAO! 45+ yard kicks into that wind are not gimmes. How about the offense's inability to, at the very least, give him shorter tries? Or *gasp* even score themselves?

LMAO!

:roll:[/quote:1m4brmdz]
No , you're right. Give him a pass. Playing with our fourth string QB against a great defense , we shouldn't expect our whining , drunken kicker to go 1 for 2 in a series that typically is a field goal game. Good point.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
when you're an embarrassment to the organization off the field and go public with your contract situation then you should make at least one out of two important FGs against your division rival.

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2010, 10:57 PM

LMAO!

the first missed fg was a bad call, why kick that a 45 yd field goal into the open end of the field?

you would punt from the 32 yard line?

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
No , you're right. Give him a pass. Playing with our fourth string QB against a great defense , we shouldn't expect our whining , drunken kicker to go 1 for 2 in a series that typically is a field goal game. Good point.

He's not getting a pass. But some of us are more grounded in reality than others.

People are posting here like those were chip shots in dome conditions. They weren't. The wind took the first one badly to the right so he adjusted and missed the next one to the left.

When he starts missing 30 yarders then, and only then, is it time to start looking for another kicker.

If it's so easy why did Cundiff miss a 46 yarder?

birtikidis
10-03-2010, 11:04 PM
What about the kick off to the 20 after we went up 14 to 10?
this is actually what made me really angry.

birtikidis
10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
[quote="stlrz d":in8meb0r]LMAO! 45+ yard kicks into that wind are not gimmes. How about the offense's inability to, at the very least, give him shorter tries? Or *gasp* even score themselves?

LMAO!

:roll:[/quote:in8meb0r]
isn't the longest field goal at that end of the stadium only like 43 yards?

stlrz d
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
isn't the longest field goal at that end of the stadium only like 43 yards?

Not sure but that's the end where *everyone* struggles. Especially if weather conditions aren't perfect.

birtikidis
10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
by the way, the play prior to the missed 45 yard field goal (it was 3rd and 4 to go), did anyone notice how many receivers actually ran routes? I swore that I only saw Wallace actually run a route... i may be wrong about that though...

SteelCrazy
10-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Jeff Reed is not to blame for this loss...he's one of the best kickers in the league and missed two very tough kicks in the open end of the field. If the offense could sustain a drive or make the FG tries a little more feasible. How about the play calling at the end of the game when we only needed to get a 1st down and Arians was so predictable that a team of nerds could have stopped that drive, not to mention the 2 false start penalties. Let's play Marty ball BRUCE!!! that'll rack up the wins........

kennyes
10-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Skippy's usually clutch, but not anything over 45+ yards. That's just him, he doesn't have a great long leg and never did.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Skippy's usually clutch, but not anything over 45+ yards. That's just him, he doesn't have a great long leg and never did.

Josh Scobee hit a 59 yarder for the Jaguars today to win the game, we would have had to try a Hail Mary in that same situation because Reed lacks that long-distance ability.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-10/56516172.jpg

stlrz d
10-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Josh Scobee hit a 59 yarder for the Jaguars today to win the game, we would have had to try a Hail Mary in that same situation because Reed lacks that long-distance ability.

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-10/56516172.jpg

Reed kicked one in the preseason game against Carolina that just missed, but would have been good from nearly 65.

Funny what better conditions will do for a guy. Yesterday was a tough kicking day. 45+ yard FGs aren't a gimme for any kicker...especially in Heinz.

Oviedo
10-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Is that too optimistic?

I think that is very optimistic.

he violated the cardinal rule in negotiations with the Rooney's, he shot his mouth off in public. You may get away with that if you are a superior talent like Woodley but Reed isn't that good. He gets way too much credit for being good at Heinz field. Geez, I would hope so it is his home field and he has more experience there than any kicker in the league.

I think it is time to move on without Reed, but heck the way he is kicking he could be real cheap to sign before the year is over.

ramblinjim
10-04-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't blame Skippy for the missed field goals. That distance, in our stadium on that side of the field is a real BI for anyone.

How about blaming Charlie Batch for taking that sack on third down to make the field goal even longer? How about we blame the offense that was given two take aways on the Ravens side of the field for not getting a single first down? You take away one good drive and the offense barely puts up 100 yards today.

I'm with Ford Fixer on this one, the play by Skip that really torked me off was the kickoff to the 20 yard line. That's just embarrassing.

Leper Friend
10-04-2010, 08:44 AM

He's not getting a pass. But some of us are more grounded in reality than others.

People are posting here like those were chip shots in dome conditions. They weren't. The wind took the first one badly to the right so he adjusted and missed the next one to the left.

When he starts missing 30 yarders then, and only then, is it time to start looking for another kicker.

Nobody anywhere said that they were chip shot kicks. Nobody. I would expect a kicker , especially in a contract year , who's made it public that he wants a better contract to maybe go 1 for 2. That's not asking much. If you're content with our kicker missing makeable clutch kicks , then so be it.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Nobody anywhere said that they were chip shot kicks. Nobody. I would expect a kicker , especially in a contract year , who's made it public that he wants a better contract to maybe go 1 for 2. That's not asking much. If you're content with our kicker missing makeable clutch kicks , then so be it.

the 49 yarder was tough but I don't want to hear about the 45 yarder. Skippy needs to make that. He only has 2 jobs and he failed at both of them yesterday when we really needed him.

I think it's easier to blame the same guy we usually blame instead of the players on the field. Batch had all day and instead of throwing the ball away he takes a sack that turned a 40 yarder into a 49 yarder...

Batch held the ball too long yesterday and we paid for it.... I see no reason why we would drop back to pass when pinned inside the 5 and the other team was out of timeouts. If Spaeth doesn't jump offsides who knows if the sweep that was called would work.

The players blew it. It was a team loss.

ikestops85
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Sure, we finally have Reed kicking off decently and now he doesn't make the clutch FGs. I don't think he should have made them both but 1 out of 2 should be a given. That's what he has to do if he wants paid as one of the league's best kickers. The worst part is he is still having a better year than the 4 million dollar kicker (Janikowski).

SteelCrazy
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
how about we blame the coaches for a horrible game plan that didnt work offensively or defensively............the players are going to goof on a few plays against a really tough divisional opponent. We had absolutely no feasible game plan to beat the Ravens. We only had a hold on to your pants and lets hope they don't score more than us game plan. IT SUCKED! Even LeBeau on some of the D's we ran.

MCHammer
10-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Reed missed a couple field goals, but he doesn't deserve blame for the loss. How about the fact that we got 2 turnovers on the Ravens side of the field and couldn't advance the ball, thus forcing long field goal attempts in the first place?

Or the fact that we could have won the game with another first down late in the 4th quarter, but had to punt out of the endzone and given the Ravens another shot

Our offense was the main culprit as far as costing us this game. Reed did not have a good game, but he's still the best kicker this team has had since Gary Anderson and the only one we've had that has proven himself capable in Heinz Field.

sentinel33
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Reed should have hit 1/2. He has to. he knows hes gonna have to hit long field goals until ben gets back. this offense is putrid and inconsistent without ben(except the running game). This loss was everyones fault. but im fine with it because undefeated seasons are nothing unless you win the whole thing and it takes pressure off ben. it'll get better for reed once the offense gets rolling again.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Reed missed a couple field goals, but he doesn't deserve blame for the loss. How about the fact that we got 2 turnovers on the Ravens side of the field and couldn't advance the ball, thus forcing long field goal attempts in the first place?

Or the fact that we could have won the game with another first down late in the 4th quarter, but had to punt out of the endzone and given the Ravens another shot

Our offense was the main culprit as far as costing us this game. Reed did not have a good game, but he's still the best kicker this team has had since Gary Anderson and the only one we've had that has proven himself capable in Heinz Field.

nonsense... LOL!!!

Asking for a 1st down when pinned inside your 5 against the Raven's isn't an easy task.

Especially without Ben.

While the O could have got a little closer.. they didn't and Reed missed a 45 yarder...
we will have drives that stall or TO's that go 3 and out and Reed's name will be called.

He is missing more FG's than usual and while I can ignore the 49 and 50 yarders the 45 has to be made. When it is missed he will receive blame just like the other players or coaches who get blame when they fail to do their job.

cruzer8
10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Talk about your unrealistic expectations. Both of those FGs were damn tough. He almost hit the longer one even with that wind.

It's true when they say some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

If it was 70+ degrees and calm I'd be mad as hell. But it wasn't so I'm not. As someone else pointed out, he's the most reliable guy we've had since Anderson.

phillyesq
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
The field goals were both tough, and while I'd certainly like to see Reed hit 1/2, I don't think it's right to pin the loss on him.

The sack that Batch took before the first FG was very disappointing. A veteran qb needs to know where he is, and know that he can't lose yards there.

As for whether this is Reed's last season, I think it depends on two things: he needs to demonstrate the accuracy that he has in the past, and his demands need to become more realistic. It's a shame that his accuracy has fallen off while his kickoffs have gotten better; I can't help but wonder if there is a connection.

Northern_Blitz
10-04-2010, 02:33 PM

LMAO!

This.

The only one of his misses I really blame him for is the one at the end of regulation against Atlanta. That miss could have cost us the game.

But, it's also the game where he hit the longest field goal ever at Heinz.

feltdizz
10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I have a problem with Reed missing a 45 yarder. He has to make those when we play a team like the Ravens without Ben. It's his home field... he knows it better than anyone... it's one of the reason's he is still around. He has to make that kick.

...and he only kicked the ball to the 15 after we scored to make it 14-10.

Reed definitely deserves some of the blame for this loss.

NJ-STEELER
10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
why stop at skippy on the missed 45 yarder.

snap was high that made for an iffy hold. the long snapper is paid to do 1 job, why is he snapping it high

Steel Life
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Every player has a bad day & kicker's are magnified by their relatively few opportunities. But they are paid to produce & Reed should be embarrassed to collect his check this week. This is a guy who's made his rep on his ability to kick at Heinz & if he can't produce, then he's got to go. He's beginning to get to the point where he's hurting us as much as he's helping - so besides his off-field issues, he cost us a game last year against the Bears with 3 misses, & now a game where he misses two on his home field & duffs a kick-off (& let's not get into his tackling)...so count me among the "Skippy's got to go" crowd.

SteelCrazy
10-04-2010, 08:58 PM
1 game isnt a trend..........if he continues to miss crucial kicks this year, then yea, let him go. However, at this point he is still one of the 5 best in the league unless he proves otherwise in the coming weeks.

frankthetank1
10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2j2y1rs3]LMAO! 45+ yard kicks into that wind are not gimmes. How about the offense's inability to, at the very least, give him shorter tries? Or *gasp* even score themselves?

LMAO!

the first missed fg was a bad call, why kick that a 45 yd field goal into the open end of the field?

you would punt from the 32 yard line?[/quote:2j2y1rs3]

:lol: :lol:

uh no i would of went for it on 4th down. wasnt it only 5-7 yards for a first down? pretty makeable. who would suggest punting from the 32 yard line? going for the first down is a higher percentage of a play then kicking a 40+ yard field goal into the open end

SteelTorch
10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
1 game isnt a trend..........if he continues to miss crucial kicks this year, then yea, let him go. However, at this point he is still one of the 5 best in the league unless he proves otherwise in the coming weeks.
I say again, he is 8/12 for the year. Carry on.

SteelCrazy
10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
I say again, he is 8/12 for the year. Carry on.

The 4 misses were all 45+ yards, one of which was over 50.....Getting rid of Reed is a lot pre-mature.....A few more crucial misses and then it may make sense. Now, it's just goofy.

NJ-STEELER
10-04-2010, 11:35 PM
[quote="stlrz d":17r76l7f]LMAO! 45+ yard kicks into that wind are not gimmes. How about the offense's inability to, at the very least, give him shorter tries? Or *gasp* even score themselves?

LMAO!

you would punt from the 32 yard line?

uh no i would of went for it on 4th down. wasnt it only 5-7 yards for a first down? pretty makeable. who would suggest punting from the 32 yard line? going for the first down is a higher percentage of a play then kicking a 40+ yard field goal into the open end[/quote:17r76l7f]

think it was 3rd and 4 and you have a point there.

but, i haven't looked it up, but i think the numbers would prove you wrong on that one

skippy kicking into even the open end of the stadium has been more successful over the years then going for it on 4th and 4...now whatever number you get, substitute batch for ben and you see why its an easy choice to try for a FG

you dont turn down FG chances from 49 yard line or less down by 3 points in a defensive dominated game

SteelTorch
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM

uh no i would of went for it on 4th down. wasnt it only 5-7 yards for a first down? pretty makeable. who would suggest punting from the 32 yard line? going for the first down is a higher percentage of a play then kicking a 40+ yard field goal into the open end
5-7 on fourth down is short to you? :shock: Boy am I glad you're not the HC.

Kickers get paid to kick well. 45 yards may be long, but that is far from unreasonable. If we can't count on him to make anything over 40 yards, then he shouldn't be our kicker.

feltdizz
10-05-2010, 02:04 PM

5-7 on fourth down is short to you? :shock: Boy am I glad you're not the HC.

Kickers get paid to kick well. 45 yards may be long, but that is far from unreasonable. If we can't count on him to make anything over 40 yards, then he shouldn't be our kicker.

4th and 5 to 7 yards is not long when you are in that 35 yard line punt vs. FG gray area.

I agree though.. it's not unreasonable to expect your reliable kicker to make a 45 yarder at home after missing a 49 yarder at home.

stlrz d
10-05-2010, 11:31 PM
It's unreasonable to expect a kicker to make 45+ yard field goals into the wind in an open end of a stadium.

And the fact that he's "paid to do it" doesn't matter. What are all of you paid to do? Are you able to do it successfully 100% of the time?

I'm paid to sell. I don't have a 100% closing ratio. No one does. Some days are good and some aren't. That's the way it goes.

SteelTorch
10-06-2010, 08:32 AM
It's unreasonable to expect a kicker to make 45+ yard field goals into the wind in an open end of a stadium.

And the fact that he's "paid to do it" doesn't matter. What are all of you paid to do? Are you able to do it successfully 100% of the time?

I'm paid to sell. I don't have a 100% closing ratio. No one does. Some days are good and some aren't. That's the way it goes.
Nobody does things right 100% of the time, but I think it's fair to ask for more than 67%. I know, some of those kicks were long, but we need him to be able to make some of those long kicks. Besides, this is not the first season where Reed has failed to deliver when we need him most. Remember the first Bengals game from last year?

Maybe I am being too hard on him, but if this keeps up, he's going to end up costing us more games. Here's hoping this is just an anomaly.